Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Just seen the man city victims have lost there case against Barry Bennell
Could there be a difference with the numbers involved?
As in, how many abusers there were?
Also, bigger point, is that some in senior positions actually knew that some employees were convicted child abusers.
This, to me, has never been about that a paedophile operated at Celtic but, that they knew about it, did nothing about it and actually rehired one such person.
They facilitated it.
They did not take reasonable precautions to prevent it.

Could there be a difference with the numbers involved.
Also, bigger point, is that some in senior positions actually knew that some employees were convicted child abusers.
This, to me, has never been about that a paedophile operated at Celtic but, that they knew about it, did nothing about it and rehired one such person.
They facilitated it.
They did not take reasonable precautions to prevent it.

The team are working on identifying the contrast already Tazza.

Rather than come forward and benefit the victims of the abuse, those that knew of the goings on choose to stay silent and offer no support.
The scale of this scandal is overwhelming and those responsible despicable, however the unprecedented levels of deceit and depravity shown by so called fit and proper persons associated with this organisation is disgusting.
Due diligence did not appear to be high on the agenda of Celtic FC, hence the amount of deviant people in and around youngsters.

Issue may have been proving link of action of one individual which club were not aware of rather than Celtic who colluded enabled and reemployed a number of abusers different issues with Celtic also City apologised at the time

Yeah, I don't even think the two situations compare.

There's every chance that, by law, City aren't responsible in this specific instance despite Bennell's known history at this point.

It's just such a shame for the guys who thought they might get some retribution and they've been failed by the system again.

Think the case against man city was lost due to the actions happening outside the time he was a scout at the club.

Celtic have numerous accounts for the time the paedos where at the club. Their defence is it wisnae me.
This is how I read into it as well. I may be wrong but have city not already made a public apology and set up a compensation fund for victims already?

Of all the scandalous and immoral things the SNP have done, this has to be right up at the top. Even worse than sending old folk back into care homes with Covid.

Their excuse for excluding certain organisations? They in effect stated it would take too much time.

And now they are even trying to get the taxpayer to state fund compensation as opposed to the organisations, including charities, religious orders and private schools, who facilitated the abuse.

The SNP are evil bastards, and anyone who says otherwise needs to open their eyes.
Never let it be forgotten that the original members of the Scottish Child abuse Inquiry all resigned due to constant Government "micromanaging and control" !

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/pol...-member-resigns-scottish-child-abuse-inquiry/

Susan O'Brien had this to say on resigning...

“Since you have approached the dismissal of a chair so casually, on the basis of misunderstandings and inaccurate allegations about my “attitudes and beliefs … with regard to survivors of child abuse”, I have no confidence that you would not try to dismiss me again another time, even if you decide against dismissal now.”

She continued: “I cannot reassure the public that this inquiry will be conducted independently of government. My trust that the Scottish Government will actually respect the independence of the inquiry has gone. You have therefore left me within no alternative but to resign. I do so with a heavy heart, as I am clear that there is a real need for this Inquiry to take place.”

Think the case against man city was lost due to the actions happening outside the time he was a scout at the club.

Celtic have numerous accounts for the time the paedos where at the club. Their defence is it wisnae me.
Judge seems to base the verdict on employment. This is always going to be crucial.
We know that CBC and Scum FC was one in the same. However I have posted on this thread previously the existence of wage slips / tax records linking the abusers to CFC employment could be crucial in this case.

My own thoughts on today's decision involving Man City is that Bennell wasn't classed as an employee and had no contractual ties with Man City therefore removing any claim of vicarious liability.

In the CBC CSA case, there are numerous persons involved who had contractual links to the parent club, as has been shown by countless pieces of evidence unearthed by Spotlight and that evidence goes a long way to refute the separate entity claim that appears to be the main point of that clubs defence.

It will be interesting to hear how they try to spin this, especially as Man City have accepted responsibility, apologised and made financial recourse to those who were abused, unlike the other club.

According to media reports this morning, the judge also ruled that the claims were time barred as the events took place so long ago.
That is not good news for the CBC CSA claimants.
I’m not sure what the relative balance the judge put on that ruling as compared to the decision that Bennell was not employed by Man City.
I expect it’s possible these claimants may go to the Supreme Court to try and overturn the High Court decision.

According to media reports this morning, the judge also ruled that the claims were time barred as the events took place so long ago.
I’m not sure what the relative balance the judge put on that ruling as compared to the decision that Bennell was not employed by Man City.
I expect it’s possible these claimants may go to the Supreme Court to try and overturn the High Court decision.
The new law in Scotland, Limitation (Childhood Abuse) (Scotland) Act 2017, means that historical CSA claims are no longer time barred.

I think today’s ruling has saved Celtic in all honesty.

I hope I’m wrong. Would be such a shame for the families and life’s they have ruined.

Never let it be forgotten that the original members of the Scottish Child abuse Inquiry all resigned due to constant Government "micromanaging and control" !

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/pol...-member-resigns-scottish-child-abuse-inquiry/

Susan O'Brien had this to say on resigning...

“Since you have approached the dismissal of a chair so casually, on the basis of misunderstandings and inaccurate allegations about my “attitudes and beliefs … with regard to survivors of child abuse”, I have no confidence that you would not try to dismiss me again another time, even if you decide against dismissal now.”

She continued: “I cannot reassure the public that this inquiry will be conducted independently of government. My trust that the Scottish Government will actually respect the independence of the inquiry has gone. You have therefore left me within no alternative but to resign. I do so with a heavy heart, as I am clear that there is a real need for this Inquiry to take place.”

a bit similar to the Scottish Government’s Drug death task force, too much interference as they don’t like what they are hearing and want it shut down.

I hope I’m wrong. Would be such a shame for the families and life’s they have ruined.
I wonder if all the delays were because the government here were waiting on the outcome of this court case?

Why do you think that?
It’s a completely different case with completely different circumstances

Celtic FC paid individuals to coach at Celtic Boys Club.
Some of that individuals abused the children in their care.
Not only that - Celtic FC were told about abuse and did nothing.

My only worry would be the legal system in Scotland

You only have to look at Bennell doing 34 years in England while some of the Celtic beasts did even see the inside of a cell in Scotland

On BBC it was stated that their lawyers have given notice of appeal Coisty.

I don't think it has. The judge in the Man City case could not link the other teams to city, nor see any connection in terms of employment between City, Bennell and the teams. In the case of Celtic, despite their claims, a number of documents has been presented, showing that CBC was a part of the Celtic FC set up, hence easier to establish the connection.

Forget the financial impacts here. Members of the Celtic Board and other employees seem to have, for years, ignored the problem with abuse at CBC and indeed elsewhere under the umbrella of CBC, including Celtic Park. None of them has been held to account for the suffering of others, when they could have done something to stop it. It's important they are brought to justice. If they ignored it, they enabled it.

Sorry Empire, need to disagree, the cases are quite a bit different. The Man City one was always gonna be a little bit of a long shot.
Why do you think that?
It’s a completely different case with completely different circumstances

Celtic FC paid individuals to coach at Celtic Boys Club.
Some of that individuals abused the children in their care.
Not only that - Celtic FC were told about abuse and did nothing.

My only worry would be the legal system in Scotland

You only have to look at Bennell doing 34 years in England while some of the Celtic beasts did even see the inside of a cell in Scotland
Seriously !!! Are you just back from Mars ffs
Perhaps not a wise move posting this.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, obviously. But what do you think this post is going to achieve?

Have you spent any time finding out what you can do to help?

Woah, wasn’t expecting this kind of reaction to my own person opinion.

I read the article earlier about the victims of Bennell losing the case against Man City. What I took from that was the judges lines of;

that it had not been shown that City was "legally responsible for Bennell's acts of abuse" and "It follows that it has not been shown that MCFC is legally responsible for Bennell's acts of abuse."

I appreciate laws etc are different in England and Scotland but I’d suspect Celtic’s legal team will now be using that ‘get out’ as well. Whether it goes in their favour remains to be seen.

Going back to the reaction from some on here, including the guy asking if I have done anything to help the victims - what the actual fuck is wrong with you? What kind of thing is that to say?

Bizarre behaviour

Not posting in this thread again.

Woah, wasn’t expecting this kind of reaction to my own person opinion.

I read the article earlier about the victims of Bennell losing the case against Man City. What I took from that was the judges lines of;

that it had not been shown that City was "legally responsible for Bennell's acts of abuse" and "It follows that it has not been shown that MCFC is legally responsible for Bennell's acts of abuse."

I appreciate laws etc are different in England and Scotland but I’d suspect Celtic’s legal team will now be using that ‘get out’ as well. Whether it goes in their favour remains to be seen.

Going back to the reaction from some on here, including the guy asking if I have done anything to help the victims - what the actual fuck is wrong with you? What kind of thing is that to say?

Bizarre behaviour

Not posting in this thread again.
Good ..... celtics abusers were paid by celtic ,
re employed by celtic

Barry Bennell: Men lose case against Manchester City over abuse https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59934051
I suspect these guys needed a dedicated group on their side, folk who would work tirelessly to uncover the truth.

Thanks to Spotlight, the many victims and families up here shouldn’t be disheartened.

The MC and Celtic scandals may be similar on the surface but anyone reading your posts can clearly see that the latter involves a seriously large paedophile ring, one which was strengthened and encouraged by those in charge of Celtic at the time.

Firstly, Scots and English law are different.

Secondly, we know what we know - what we don’t know in detail is the quality of evidence brought before the court or the details of the defence.

What we do know is - To be applicable the facts must be similar. The facts are Celtic are very different - there we are dealing with a multitude of serial offenders, some of them I would say were working in concert, over a period of 30+ years, and crucially the entanglement of CFC in business links and employment with offenders, staff and perpetrators.

It’s a completely different case with a completely different t set of facts being decided under a completely different set of legal practises.

From having read the news reports on todays Bennell outcome I'd say that Spotlight have covered & secured the required evidence for the scenarios that allowed MCFC to escape the vicarious liability to the extent that the outcome of this MCFC case may actually strengthen the case against the Bheasts in that the proof which this Judge was looking for has already been secured by Spotlight which I assume will be passed to the relevant lawyers for the civil case starting.

A full independent inquiry needs to happen. We trust nobody in Holyrood as we believe they are under qualified to deal with this, and we also believe that certain SNP members have to be included in this inquiry.
Unfortunately this could be years away but we will continue the fight.
I recall twitter clashes involving that Ronnie character and his followers. When backed into a corner over whether or not they would back a fully independent public enquiry, they’d reluctantly say yes (with reservations).

Like ourselves, they expressed concerns about who would make up the panel.

I think they know that eventually there will be a full enquiry (which will undoubtedly lead onto the Haggart case) but they hope by delaying it indefinitely, the resultant effects on their club will be minimised.

No matter which club we’re dealing with here, it goes beyond reprehension to suggest that preserving the ‘good name’ of a club should be placed above the ruination of dozens of young laddie’s lives.

So why did Stein kick out a known Peado in order to protect the good name of the club if no affinity what right did he have and what club the Football & Athletic Club or the Boys Club?
So when this Peado returns to the Directors Box and running a business with another Board member why no moral act from Stein to do the same or report to Plod, was Stein warned by the Directors his job was at stake or paid off even?
From a moral crusader to an enabler ....pull that statue down!!

Firstly, Scots and English law are different.

Secondly, we know what we know - what we don’t know in detail is the quality of evidence brought before the court or the details of the defence.

What we do know is - To be applicable the facts must be similar. The facts are Celtic are very different - there we are dealing with a multitude of serial offenders, some of them I would say were working in concert, over a period of 30+ years, and crucially the entanglement of CFC in business links and employment with offenders, staff and perpetrators.

It’s a completely different case with a completely different t set of facts being decided under a completely different set of legal practises.
This.

For the victims of Bennell, today must be a crushing blow. Let's hope their appeal gives them another opportunity to get the justice they deserve
With regards to the civil case against the Bheasts whilst today is not the outcome many wanted it should prepare the legal minds involved as to what's needed to see justice done
And again Spotlights work will no doubt make this all the easier

And as CM72 knows, Rennie was also Strachan’s life partner, as well as Martin Henry’s business partner.

What a group of perverts.
At the time of court, Strachan was seeing a young guy who was also up beside him. Think his name was slaven or something like that. His family also think Strahan was already seeing him when he was 14 or 15 but couldn't prove it. He is a hell of a lot younger than him that's for sure. The wee prick also got done for contempt of court for showing up pissed one day.

At the time of court, Strachan was seeing a young guy who was also up beside him. Think his name was slaven or something like that. His family also think Strahan was already seeing him when he was 14 or 15 but couldn't prove it. He is a hell of a lot younger than him that's for sure. The wee prick also got done for contempt of court for showing up pissed one day.

Shocking.

Just a further illustration of their contempt for their fellow humans CM.

I had the experience of being in Strachan’s flat after his arrest. Kids toys in the wardrobe and a Celtic calendar on the wall.

Looking at his bed wasn’t something you’d ever erase from your memory, especially with what we learnt afterwards.

My colleague met him in Saughton high security after that as I wouldn’t go. Said you’d never know what he’d done. Butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth apparently.

If hell exists, I hope that’s where this c@nt goes.

What a terrible precedent set by the court.
It's similar but different. If you read it it was very difficult to prove against bennell working for mancity in this case and it is the correct decision as they are just chasing man City for money as they have much of it and bennell has none.

The celtic case is different again in that without doubt these men worked for a boys club associated with celtic, I don't think there were communications showing bennell at man City benefits and team events they way the celtic paedophiles have been.

It's similar but different. If you read it it was very difficult to prove against bennell working for mancity in this case and it is the correct decision as they are just chasing man City for money as they have much of it and bennell has none.

The celtic case is different again in that without doubt these men worked for a boys club associated with celtic, I don't think there were communications showing bennell at man City benefits and team events they way the celtic paedophiles have been.
I’ll correct you. Some of the convicted worked for Celtic. Celtic paid them not the boys club.

Back