Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

If this story concerned Rangers, the media and Scottish politicians would be all over it. Remember that Hugh Adam was interviewed shortly after the club entered administration to provide the quotes justifying a SFA/SPL inquiry which quickly morphed into a brazen attempt to steal honours. Adam was hardly a reliable source of information and died a few months later.

What is probably needed is a further revelation concerning Celtic directors. Noticeably, the defence of Torbett at the first trial by directors and payments to the Trophy Centre following his conviction are not receiving the attention they should.

It’s beginning to look more like nothing is going to happen from the authorities. What really amazes me is that if this story had broke down south involving any English club then a full independent inquiry would be held without any hesitation.
We all know our so called diddy government and the SFA are corrupt to the core and this has proved it without any doubt. The only option I can see is the government down south getting involved or an Independent broadcaster to do some investigation work for a documentary on the whole situation. This is child abuse and a cover up by different institutions and if it was made more public then I do believe more victims would come forward. It’s a national scandal and has brought shame to our country. It can’t just go away. It can’t be allowed to go away.

It’s beginning to look more like nothing is going to happen from the authorities. What really amazes me is that if this story had broke down south involving any English club then a full independent inquiry would be held without any hesitation.
We all know our so called diddy government and the SFA are corrupt to the core and this has proved it without any doubt. The only option I can see is the government down south getting involved or an Independent broadcaster to do some investigation work for a documentary on the whole situation. This is child abuse and a cover up by different institutions and if it was made more public then I do believe more victims would come forward. It’s a national scandal and has brought shame to our country. It can’t just go away. It can’t be allowed to go away.
Mate...
There is 2 documentarys been made as we speak and they are going to cripple the mentally challengeds.
People still saying fuk all will happen are mad it's way past that stage now.
Don't even get me started if this goes state side.
The mentally challengeds are in big big trouble here and they fuking know it!!!

Mate...
There is 2 documentarys been made as we speak and they are going to cripple the mentally challengeds.
Who’s making the Doc’s?

you cant re-educate a Paedophile its their sexual prefrance
Jailing them and the segregation to protect them just cost the state fortunes
instaead of testing new medicines and treatments on poor animals who have done no harm to anyone, do the trials on these subhuman c***s
hope the Police that Police act on this, and the PF don't misplace the evidence

I'd like to let off a bit of steam myself. From a wallpaper stripper with his face held to it.
Scumbag. Noticed he doesn't know off from of either, typical.

This is a piece of shit that harbours a convicted beast in his home along with his wife and kids after he flee’s heat on him on upcoming charges.

A man that sat holding a bible and was litterly devastated watching his Da being sent down again for fucking around with kids again for a second time.

A man that took the stand and lied about a dead man who was not here to defend himself and now mocks him and his family.

This coward has no credibility left and is a no mark,I’m so glad Andy’s uncle went personally to his home in Modesto and posted letters through all his neighbors doors outlining all charges and links to this man dad dirty little past.

A complete no body,and I’m sure Michelle has forwarded information posted by him to authorities.

Was this beast not on one of Mark Daly's documentary's trying to protect Torbett when he went to America?

Lots of people saying it's all about the victims and I agree and hope they ALL get their day in court.
But...
I want that mentally challengeds fined 100m then over to New Jersey for round 2.
Demoted/ chucked out of the SPL with administration hanging around their necks.
I will never forget what they tried and failed to do to our club.
mentally challengeds no more would suit me just fuking Fine!!

Was this beast not on one of Mark Daly's documentary's trying to protect Torbett when he went to America?
Yep thats the one.

His Twitter is seriously disturbing. Constant retweets of stuff about child abuse & every tweet has an underlying message. Freaks me out.

Record calling him a Torbett “pal” is laughable

Ex CBC player who played with Torbett is a disgusting troll on Twitter for vile comments sent to the Andrew Gray family

They'd be offered a £50 fine by the SFA and have it reduced on appeal

For me there are three issues here. Firstly victims need redress. Secondly an enquiry needs to let everyone know exactly what happened here and why it happened twice or did it never stop after Torbetts first conviction. Third why after the first conviction did the SFA not act to safeguard children.

Only by answering these questions can we be sure it won’t happen again.

Their lawyers will get injunctions to stop these ever getting aired citing it would prejudice any trial.
Don't get U the trials are over they all got found guilty.
Compo cases won't be affected they are guilty as sin and I will put money on that the compo cases will be a big part of the documentarys.
Compo cases start in 2 months, 1 result and the flood gates open!

The Other Side of Paradise
The following article appeared in Scotland on Sunday on 18/08/96. Was there any police investigation? Was there any SFA investigation? Was there any government investigation?

Celtic Boys’ Club appealed to the dreams of a generation of football hopefuls, but they have only made the tabloids in a seamy tale of manipulation and abuse, report AUDREY GILLAN and RON McKAY

IT ALL begins in a shrine, the walls adorned with artefacts and relics, all carefully arranged and devoutly displayed, past which the faithful shuffled and nourished their own dreams of immortality.

Here, paradise seemed tangible, just a short trip away. But the changing faces who gaped in awe at this display of devotion were
gullible young boys who worshipped a team. They stared at the display of shirts and photographs, testimonials and autographs and
believed the man who told them that they could look down from the window, across the city to the football ground in the East End and
take all that lay before them.

Jim Torbett was 20 when he set up Celtic Boys’ Club in 1966, seeking permission from the then manager Jock Stein to use the team’s
name. He was only a few years older than the lads who trooped through his living room. Boys who left believing, as he did, in dreams,
certain that they were special, marked out for fame. Now 30 years on, those dreams have become nightmares for some, grown men
marked forever by the shy but enthusiastic man who took them to the heights and then the depths.

John McCluskey is, in the unimpeachable judgment of former Celtic star Charlie Nicholas, the best young player he ever saw. Last
week, McCluskey -who has fought drink, addiction and his own demons – was sitting in an upmarket Glasgow hotel, sipping cappuccino
and waiting to make a statement to police that Torbett had sexually assaulted him. He had been so badly affected by the Dunblane
massacre, he said, that he felt he had to make a stand.

Just two days before, the Daily Record had spread across five pages allegations that the boys’ club founder had abused him. His
allegation was supported by Ally Brazil, the former Ipswich and Spurs striker, another graduate of the Celtic academy, who claimed that
Torbett kissed and fondled him when he was only 14. Within hours of the story hitting the streets, and the newspaper setting up its
abuse hotline, dozens of calls had come in and another man – Frank Cairney, the man who had been brought in by Jock Stein to get rid
of the smears and innuendoes which for years had hung around the boys’ club – was also being named as an abuser.

Whispers that something was not quite right with Celtic Boys’ Club had been around since its inception. Some boys passed through the
ranks unscathed, ducking slaps on the bum and over-enthusiastic spongings when they lay injured on the pitch. But others are alleged
to have suffered at the hands of a man who abused his position in pursuit of paedophile perversions. It seemed some of the weaker
boys, those with less skill, less certain of a place on the first team, those with less parental guidance, became easy prey. They would be
enticed back to Torbett’s house with promises of meals and ice cream and sometimes less innocent pursuits would follow.

When Fergus McCann finally arrived in the halo of television lights at Parkhead in 1994 he knew that he faced a formidable task:
rebuilding a stadium, a team and the belief of a support which had seen years of failed promises and dismal performance. What he did
not expect -by way of an anonymous letter sent to him almost as soon as he was through the door – was a disturbing report of years of
abuse at the boys’ club. Officially, the club was entirely separate from Celtic but McCann appreciated that it was inextricably bound to
Parkhead in the minds of the public, and indeed in the hearts of some of the players and former players – like Peter Grant, Paul McStay
and Tommy Burns – who had graduated from it to the big time of professional football.

McCann quickly went about trying to establish the truth, or not, of the accusations. He called in Jim Torbett and asked him to meet
Celtic’s lawyers and confirm or deny, in an affidavit which could be passed to the police, the accusations. Torbett repeatedly refused.
He asked Ally Brazil and John McCluskey to make their allegations formal. Brazil refused at that stage. McCluskey agreed, but only if
his statement was not passed to the police.

Ironically, McCann was playing out, more than three years on, a sad little tableau which had occurred at Parkhead under the old
regime, ruled over by the Kelly and White families. In 1991 the boys’ club had been to Kearney, New Jersey – an annual tour to the Irish
part of the state with players staying at the homes of Catholic families -and one boy, no longer at Celtic but now a professional player in
Scotland, had alleged to his hosts and to his own family that he had been assaulted by the team’s general manager, Frank Cairney.
The boy’s father took him to Celtic Park to have it out with Liam Brady who was then only months in the job as team manager. The
club’s chief scout John Kelman was also present.

It was Brady’s first serious and most affecting problem in a troubled time at Parkhead which did not last long. He listened to the boy,
believed him, and insisted to the board that Cairney had to be removed, not only from the boys’ club but from any association with the
main football club. So, overnight, the man who was used to having his run of the place and the ear of the management, was cast out.
It was agreed, by Brady, the boy and his parents and the then Celtic board, that the police would not be informed. The young player
was assured that the alleged incident would have no effect on his future career at the club. However, signed statements were taken by
Celtic’s lawyers from the four adults who had been on the New Jersey trip. All were sworn to silence.Cairney was now away from the football club and its nursery – business commitments was the given reason – but Jim Torbett was backplaying a major role, first as a fund-raiser then back with the boys’ club. Torbett had maintained his connections with Celtic. Pre-
McCann board member Kevin Kelly, still honorary president of the boys’ club, is a fellow director of Torbett’s company The Trophy
Centre, and current board member Jack McGinn is an employee.

It is not clear why a man widely regarded as a child abuser was allowed back into a position of responsibility at the boys’ club. Torbett
had been kicked out in 1976 after being confronted by the committee and, according to Frank Cairney’s account of the meeting, had
broken down in tears and confessed. He was then summoned to a meeting with Jock Stein, at the end of which the big man physically
kicked him out of the door. And just to ensure that the boys’ club stayed clean the legendary Celtic manager brought in another man,
Hugh Birt, as chairman of its committee.

Birt claims he was concerned about the behaviour of both Cairney and Torbett – who wheedled his way back in after Stein’s death – and
raised the matter with the club. Before he knew it Birt was asked to resign. When he stood his ground and refused, he says, Celtic
withdrew his ticket to the directors’ box and he had no option but to get out.

In spite of all these troubles, the boys’ club, from humble beginnings in a hall in Maryhill, had become a great success and was now
seen as a crucial feeder of players for the senior club. It used Celtic’s training ground at Barrowfield for coaching and matches and
became one of the country’s most successful nurseries: its more famous graduates include current manager Tommy Burns, George
McCluskey, Roy Aitken, Charlie Nicholas, Paul McStay, and of the present side Peter Grant and Simon Donnelly.

But although the boys’ club was hugely successful, rumours still continued to surround it. Former players began to talk to the press,
although none would go on record or make a formal complaint to the police. The New Jersey incident in 1991 was successfully
managed by the club and it seemed that nothing tangible would ever be proved. And then, in 1994, the new regime swept into Celtic
Park and the rumours flared up again. This time, the chairman was determined that nothing should be kicked under the carpet.

As McCann’s investigation got under way, a lone Celtic fanatic Gerry McSherry, who resented the arrival of the new board, appeared
on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he had received a number of calls suggesting untoward
behaviour in the boys club. After months of investigation, McSherry began touting what he called the Paedo Files round various
newspapers and television companies and claims now to be under contract to the Record.

Last week, as the story developed from allegations against Torbett – who was suspended from the boys’ club six days ago – to claims
that Cairney fondled boys as they sat in the front seat of his car, many men with long associations with the club began to grow uneasy.
Former players backed Big Frank whom they knew as a “father figure” and Burns rushed out to Cairney’s terraced home in Viewpark,
Lanarkshire, after receiving a call from the man he considers a close friend. Leaving his house the manager was reported to have said:
“He [Cairney] has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.”

The following morning Burns must have been wishing he had bitten his tongue. Incandescent at his manager’s assumption that the club
would back Cairney, McCann issued a statement. “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney,
the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint,” he said.

This is a piece of shit that harbours a convicted beast in his home along with his wife and kids after he flee’s heat on him on upcoming charges.

A man that sat holding a bible and was litterly devastated watching his Da being sent down again for fucking around with kids again for a second time.

A man that took the stand and lied about a dead man who was not here to defend himself and now mocks him and his family.

This coward has no credibility left and is a no mark,I’m so glad Andy’s uncle went personally to his home in Modesto and posted letters through all his neighbors doors outlining all charges and links to this man dad dirty little past.

A complete no body,and I’m sure Michelle has forwarded information posted by him to authorities.
Are my missing something here,is torbett his dad?

Burns himself claimed that he had been misquoted and what he had in fact said was: “He has my backing and I’m sure he will have the
backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level.”

Meanwhile, the allegations against Torbett went unchallenged. After hiding out at the east end home of William and Andrew Gilbert –
two young men who had played for the boys’ club – he is said to have left the country. Yesterday, their mother Susan said that Torbett
was a close family friend – they sometimes travelled abroad with him and the boys’ club – and that the allegations made against him
were rubbish.

DCI John Boyd at London Road police station, who has four officers investigating the allegations, said that his team had been taking
calls from a number of people who had not gone through the Daily Record. He added that the inquiry was at an early stage and that no
arrests were imminent.

At Celtic Park, the management is trying to keep its head down and stop the scandal interfering with play. Footballers like Peter Grant
and Tosh McKinlay – who came through the boys’ club route – have nothing to say on the record. And the boy who made the complaint
against Cairney? He’s playing his cards close to his chest. The chants from the terraces and jibes from his opponents would no doubt
be too much to take.

Mate...

Don't take this the wrong way man. But you have been blowing this trumpet on documentaries for long and weary. Pretty much the same post over and over.

We all want something to happen for the victims. Wanting something to happen however much we do, does not mean it will happen though.

So are your posts based on known first hand fact, or based on hope?

No, he played f
Are my missing something here,is torbett his dad?
No he played for CBC, he is a close friend of Torbett however has 2 kids.
His father was a sergeant in the police but committed suicide.
I worked with his father he was a decent man, although he followed Celtc.

The following article appeared in Scotland on Sunday on 18/08/96. Was there any police investigation? Was there any SFA investigation? Was there any government investigation?

Celtic Boys’ Club appealed to the dreams of a generation of football hopefuls, but they have only made the tabloids in a seamy tale of manipulation and abuse, report AUDREY GILLAN and RON McKAY

IT ALL begins in a shrine, the walls adorned with artefacts and relics, all carefully arranged and devoutly displayed, past which the faithful shuffled and nourished their own dreams of immortality.

Here, paradise seemed tangible, just a short trip away. But the changing faces who gaped in awe at this display of devotion were
gullible young boys who worshipped a team. They stared at the display of shirts and photographs, testimonials and autographs and
believed the man who told them that they could look down from the window, across the city to the football ground in the East End and
take all that lay before them.

Jim Torbett was 20 when he set up Celtic Boys’ Club in 1966, seeking permission from the then manager Jock Stein to use the team’s
name. He was only a few years older than the lads who trooped through his living room. Boys who left believing, as he did, in dreams,
certain that they were special, marked out for fame. Now 30 years on, those dreams have become nightmares for some, grown men
marked forever by the shy but enthusiastic man who took them to the heights and then the depths.

John McCluskey is, in the unimpeachable judgment of former Celtic star Charlie Nicholas, the best young player he ever saw. Last
week, McCluskey -who has fought drink, addiction and his own demons – was sitting in an upmarket Glasgow hotel, sipping cappuccino
and waiting to make a statement to police that Torbett had sexually assaulted him. He had been so badly affected by the Dunblane
massacre, he said, that he felt he had to make a stand.

Just two days before, the Daily Record had spread across five pages allegations that the boys’ club founder had abused him. His
allegation was supported by Ally Brazil, the former Ipswich and Spurs striker, another graduate of the Celtic academy, who claimed that
Torbett kissed and fondled him when he was only 14. Within hours of the story hitting the streets, and the newspaper setting up its
abuse hotline, dozens of calls had come in and another man – Frank Cairney, the man who had been brought in by Jock Stein to get rid
of the smears and innuendoes which for years had hung around the boys’ club – was also being named as an abuser.

Whispers that something was not quite right with Celtic Boys’ Club had been around since its inception. Some boys passed through the
ranks unscathed, ducking slaps on the bum and over-enthusiastic spongings when they lay injured on the pitch. But others are alleged
to have suffered at the hands of a man who abused his position in pursuit of paedophile perversions. It seemed some of the weaker
boys, those with less skill, less certain of a place on the first team, those with less parental guidance, became easy prey. They would be
enticed back to Torbett’s house with promises of meals and ice cream and sometimes less innocent pursuits would follow.

When Fergus McCann finally arrived in the halo of television lights at Parkhead in 1994 he knew that he faced a formidable task:
rebuilding a stadium, a team and the belief of a support which had seen years of failed promises and dismal performance. What he did
not expect -by way of an anonymous letter sent to him almost as soon as he was through the door – was a disturbing report of years of
abuse at the boys’ club. Officially, the club was entirely separate from Celtic but McCann appreciated that it was inextricably bound to
Parkhead in the minds of the public, and indeed in the hearts of some of the players and former players – like Peter Grant, Paul McStay
and Tommy Burns – who had graduated from it to the big time of professional football.

McCann quickly went about trying to establish the truth, or not, of the accusations. He called in Jim Torbett and asked him to meet
Celtic’s lawyers and confirm or deny, in an affidavit which could be passed to the police, the accusations. Torbett repeatedly refused.
He asked Ally Brazil and John McCluskey to make their allegations formal. Brazil refused at that stage. McCluskey agreed, but only if
his statement was not passed to the police.

Ironically, McCann was playing out, more than three years on, a sad little tableau which had occurred at Parkhead under the old
regime, ruled over by the Kelly and White families. In 1991 the boys’ club had been to Kearney, New Jersey – an annual tour to the Irish
part of the state with players staying at the homes of Catholic families -and one boy, no longer at Celtic but now a professional player in
Scotland, had alleged to his hosts and to his own family that he had been assaulted by the team’s general manager, Frank Cairney.
The boy’s father took him to Celtic Park to have it out with Liam Brady who was then only months in the job as team manager. The
club’s chief scout John Kelman was also present.

It was Brady’s first serious and most affecting problem in a troubled time at Parkhead which did not last long. He listened to the boy,
believed him, and insisted to the board that Cairney had to be removed, not only from the boys’ club but from any association with the
main football club. So, overnight, the man who was used to having his run of the place and the ear of the management, was cast out.
It was agreed, by Brady, the boy and his parents and the then Celtic board, that the police would not be informed. The young player
was assured that the alleged incident would have no effect on his future career at the club. However, signed statements were taken by
Celtic’s lawyers from the four adults who had been on the New Jersey trip. All were sworn to silence.Cairney was now away from the football club and its nursery – business commitments was the given reason – but Jim Torbett was backplaying a major role, first as a fund-raiser then back with the boys’ club. Torbett had maintained his connections with Celtic. Pre-
McCann board member Kevin Kelly, still honorary president of the boys’ club, is a fellow director of Torbett’s company The Trophy
Centre, and current board member Jack McGinn is an employee.

It is not clear why a man widely regarded as a child abuser was allowed back into a position of responsibility at the boys’ club. Torbett
had been kicked out in 1976 after being confronted by the committee and, according to Frank Cairney’s account of the meeting, had
broken down in tears and confessed. He was then summoned to a meeting with Jock Stein, at the end of which the big man physically
kicked him out of the door. And just to ensure that the boys’ club stayed clean the legendary Celtic manager brought in another man,
Hugh Birt, as chairman of its committee.

Birt claims he was concerned about the behaviour of both Cairney and Torbett – who wheedled his way back in after Stein’s death – and
raised the matter with the club. Before he knew it Birt was asked to resign. When he stood his ground and refused, he says, Celtic
withdrew his ticket to the directors’ box and he had no option but to get out.

In spite of all these troubles, the boys’ club, from humble beginnings in a hall in Maryhill, had become a great success and was now
seen as a crucial feeder of players for the senior club. It used Celtic’s training ground at Barrowfield for coaching and matches and
became one of the country’s most successful nurseries: its more famous graduates include current manager Tommy Burns, George
McCluskey, Roy Aitken, Charlie Nicholas, Paul McStay, and of the present side Peter Grant and Simon Donnelly.

But although the boys’ club was hugely successful, rumours still continued to surround it. Former players began to talk to the press,
although none would go on record or make a formal complaint to the police. The New Jersey incident in 1991 was successfully
managed by the club and it seemed that nothing tangible would ever be proved. And then, in 1994, the new regime swept into Celtic
Park and the rumours flared up again. This time, the chairman was determined that nothing should be kicked under the carpet.

As McCann’s investigation got under way, a lone Celtic fanatic Gerry McSherry, who resented the arrival of the new board, appeared
on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he had received a number of calls suggesting untoward
behaviour in the boys club. After months of investigation, McSherry began touting what he called the Paedo Files round various
newspapers and television companies and claims now to be under contract to the Record.

Last week, as the story developed from allegations against Torbett – who was suspended from the boys’ club six days ago – to claims
that Cairney fondled boys as they sat in the front seat of his car, many men with long associations with the club began to grow uneasy.
Former players backed Big Frank whom they knew as a “father figure” and Burns rushed out to Cairney’s terraced home in Viewpark,
Lanarkshire, after receiving a call from the man he considers a close friend. Leaving his house the manager was reported to have said:
“He [Cairney] has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.”

The following morning Burns must have been wishing he had bitten his tongue. Incandescent at his manager’s assumption that the club
would back Cairney, McCann issued a statement. “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney,
the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint,” he said.

That is brutal. How are they even still allowed to operate.

_95860930_inab_abuse_stills_4.jpg

Strathclyde's finest should be tracking him down and checking his hard drive.

He has THE look.

No, he played f

No he played for CBC, he is a close friend of Torbett however has 2 kids.
His father was a sergeant in the police but committed suicide.
I worked with his father he was a decent man, although he followed Celtc.

Such a shame for the father to see his son take such a dark path. He was undoubtedly corrupted at CBC and to have maintained a sick relationship WITH Torbett whilst saying he's a family man is sick

Sounds like a vulnerable person who Torbett has exploited after his dad's death, that monster's preferred target, I hope the guy can get out his bubble and see sense.

Don't get U the trials are over they all got found guilty.
Compo cases won't be affected they are guilty as sin and I will put money on that the compo cases will be a big part of the documentarys.
Compo cases start in 2 months, 1 result and the flood gates open!

Anything that blackens their name, they will try and get it stopped.

The following article appeared in Scotland on Sunday on 18/08/96.

... It was Brady’s first serious and most affecting problem in a troubled time at Parkhead which did not last long. He listened to the boy, believed him, and insisted to the board that Cairney had to be removed, not only from the boys’ club but from any association with the main football club. So, overnight, the man who was used to having his run of the place and the ear of the management, was cast out.

It was agreed, by Brady, the boy and his parents and the then Celtic board, that the police would not be informed.

For me, the last few lines of that report - if they can be corroborated - both blow the 'separate entity' bullshit out the water, and prove that there was, indeed, a cover-up.

Last edited:
Back