Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Chalmers is the other Kopger. He was my school football team teacher & there was NEVER any issues or insinuations with the guy at our school.
Showing your age Grigo. Lol also my teacher. Also knew John when he was at Rangers and spoke to him there a few times. He had issues at home that led to him taking his life but certainly nothing like they are making out.

Exactly. The word will be out in the market. I used to know one of these analysts & they do loads of research on their market sector. You can almost guarantee that I’d suggest.

Oh those guys are uber geeks when it comes to research and they are easily spooked if something the algorithm couldn't predict happens.
I’m sure I’ve seen a few people refer to them supplying kits and the likes. Not saying it’s correct, but it’s been mentioned a few times

The real point of interest is how much did they spend before and after the four payments of £250k. A business very increases its spend at a supplier without a significant change in the relationship.

It would have been the first defensive move from the scum.

Spot on.

During financial issues we fans said "Celtic used EBT, and tax avoidance schemes..." and yes it is possibly "whataboutery", but people in glass houses etc etc... they had financial issues not reported. We wanted parity.

During this their fans have jumped on the "not proven or convicted" to "ok, convicted but seperate entity", to "ok, some links and kitman but new board shouldnt be punished", to "okay, Lawell was there in 90s but whatabout Neely" ...

Let's see what the next deflection is.

Showing your age Grigo. Lol also my teacher. Also knew John when he was at Rangers and spoke to him there a few times. He had issues at home that led to him taking his life but certainly nothing like they are making out.

Exactly mate. He had an ego but he was a good guy mate.

You go to BHS ? :D

You’re probably a wee bit older than me then Derta ? I was a 62 fat baby :D
Oh way older mate I can give you three years. Lol.
Some carry on with this mob down the road mate. I don’t suppose at the end of it all much will happen to them but it would be nice to see the victims get a real apology and some financial gain to allow them a little bit of enjoyment in their lives.

Oh way older mate I can give you three years. Lol.
Some carry on with this mob down the road mate. I don’t suppose at the end of it all much will happen to them but it would be nice to see the victims get a real apology and some financial gain to allow them a little bit of enjoyment in their lives.

Agree Derta. I really do think that they’re gonna get justice. I really do. Despite this government.

You from MV ?

It’s just a document that a company uses for any confidential situation where a person is receiving or will receive confidential info and that they can’t divulge to others not party to the NDA.
It doesn’t necessarily involve payments between company & the person & often is used where there is a potential new business sale or purchase.
I often had them in place before entering into bid discussions.
We, the vendor had trade secrets to protect and the potential client gave us sensitive information.
The NDA for example may have prevented using information to buy shares in the client company

Last edited:
How much in total was the Trophy center paid by Celtc since it's inception? I think it was 1989. Not just the four years of £250,000 whilst in prison.
Good timeline of events here, an interesting part for me is 1989 The Trophy centre, I always wondered how the funds were raised to start that business. But it looks like it wasn't only Torbett who were in at the very start.

• 1966: Celtic Boys’ Club is founded by Jim Torbett, who had previously been involved in Glasgow youth football.
  • 1968: Allegations of abuse begin.
  • 1970: Frank Cairney joins club.
  • 1976: Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club general manager after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. Torbett is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt (a photographer and Celtic associate) is made chairman.
  • 1978: Jock Stein leaves the club.
  • 1982: John Cullen joins the club as photographer.
  • 1985: Jock Stein dies.
  • 1989: Jim Torbett creates a new business – The Trophy Centre – alongside Honorary President of the Boy’s Club and Celtic board member, Kevin Kelly, plus Gerald McAleer, former youth player under Torbett, and Angus Yuile who was company secretary.
  • 1991: A youth team member raises allegations of abuse against Cairney that happened during a trip to New Jersey. His father takes him to Celtic Park to meet with new manager, Liam Brady, and chief scout, John Kelman. Brady approaches the board and demands Cairney leave the club. He resigns as general manager and part-time coach and the club announce this is due to ‘business commitments’. The boy is assured that his allegations would not affect his future career at the club. It was also agreed between Celtic, Brady, the boy and his parents that the police would not be informed. Signed statements were taken from four adults who were also on the New Jersey trip. They were all sworn to secrecy.
  • 1993: Torbett is asked back to the club to help them raise funds via memorabilia sales. He eventually also returns to the Boy’s Club.
  • 1994: Fergus McCann joins Celtic and immediately receives an anonymous letter detailing years of abuse at the club. Adamant the persistent rumours should no longer be brushed under the carpet, he calls in Torbett and asks him to meet with the club’s lawyers to sign an affidavit either admitting or denying claims of abuse which could then be passed to police. Torbett refuses.
  • 1994: Celtic fan, Gerry McSherry appears on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he received a number of calls making allegations of untoward behaviour at the Boy’s Club. McSherry began his own investigation.
  • 1994: New Celtic boss Tommy Burns attempts to bring Frank Cairney back to Parkstead. Fergus McCann refuses following outrage from fans in New Jersey.
  • Aug 1996: The Daily Record runs an expose on abuse at Celtic involving Torbett and Cairney. In the following days, former Scotland star Alan Brazil, David Gordon and John McClusky tell The Daily Record of abuse by Torbett when when they were members of the Celtic Boys’ Club. McSherry is contracted to The Daily Record. A further former player, Scott Sinclair, also comes forward claiming that Cairney would abuse boys in his van. Cairney refuted the allegations and denied knowing Sinclair. In response Sinclair handed a photograph to The Daily Record which was a picture of the whole team, including both Sinclair and Cairney.
  • Aug 1996: After the story broke, Burns rushed to Cairney’s home (a man he considered a close friend). He told waiting reporters “He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man“. The following day, an angry McCann issued a statement to the press stating: “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney, the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint“. In response, Burns said he had been misquoted and actually said: “He has my backing and I’m sure he will have the backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level“. Torbett went in to hiding at the home of two former youth players – William and Andrew Gilbert.
  • Aug 1996: A meeting between five men was held in Boston’s Airport where a secret deal was agreed allowing Cairney to resign immediately so as to avoid a police investigation. Celtic chairman, Jack McGinn, allowed Cairney’s written resignation to say it was for “business reasons”. The impromptu meeting consisted of Cairney, Jim McNally, Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson.
  • Aug 1996: The Trophy Centre sponsors the Scottish Amateur Youth leagues.
  • Aug 1996: Brady agrees not to go to the police. He then went on to be head of the Arsenal youth team.
  • Oct 1996: Torbett charged with sex offences.
  • May 1997: Record team win Reporter of the Year award for investigations into sex abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club.
  • Aug 1997: The Court of Appeal lifted a gagging order that had banned the press from reporting on the court trial of Torbett and Cairney.
  • Nov 1998: Torbett stands trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court charged with molesting three youngsters in his care including Alan Brazil. He is found guilty and jailed for two years.
  • 2000: Torbett resigns as director of The Trophy Centre.
  • 2002: Cleaners find a bin bag full of obscene photographs of boys in a store room at Parkstead. John Cullen, club photographer, is immediately dismissed. He is subsequently found guilty of ‘lewd and libidinous’ behaviour. His lenient sentence causes outrage.
  • 2005: Kevin Kelly resigns as director of The Trophy Centre.
Further connections:

A number of photographs are freely available on the internet of Jimmy Savile and/or the Father O’Connell with different board members.

Celtic was also linked to the notorious St Joseph’s College Roman Catholic boarding school which was rocked by appalling allegations of abuse. It was run by the Marist Brother Order. Interestingly, the team Athletico Bilbao was started by former pupils of the college.

Reference:

Related

T

Agreed mate. Its the way their mindset works though isnt it. Protect the club and church at all costs, even in something as serious as rife child abuse. You couldnt make it up.

Another thing that annoys me is this; i'm 26 and I know a good few tims. They all went to catholic schooling and they have an utter hatred for anything red white & blue or anything that is remotely related to Britain they utterly cannot stand. The very state that has given them freedom and prosperity they despise. Its not coincidental that these are lads that all went to these schools - would love to know what they are taught to create the mindset they have.

Is it the schools, or is it the Irish republican sympathising football club most of them invariably support up there?

I know a good few catholics down here in London and they don’t have any hatred for Britain at all.

Agreed mate. Its the way their mindset works though isnt it. Protect the club and church at all costs, even in something as serious as rife child abuse. You couldnt make it up.

Another thing that annoys me is this; i'm 26 and I know a good few tims. They all went to catholic schooling and they have an utter hatred for anything red white & blue or anything that is remotely related to Britain they utterly cannot stand. The very state that has given them freedom and prosperity they despise. Its not coincidental that these are lads that all went to these schools - would love to know what they are taught to create the mindset they have.
As a regular visitor to RoI Ive seen nothing in RC relatives & friends to compere how WoS RC's behave or the attitudes they exhibit.
WoS RC's are in the main toxic wether they practice their religion or not. More obsessed in being plastic paddies and their vile team. That extends to well educated and affluent WoS RC's I know.

Last edited:
Here is the 'complicit celtc cover up crew'. You would imagine celtc interviewed them all (still living of course) as part of their investigation?

So far the definitive list of those that knew about the existence of this peadophile ring and assisted in a 40 year cover up are:

Lawell.
Kelly.
Stein.
McCann.
Desmond.
Billy McNeil.
Macari.
Brady.
McGinn .
DORNAN
David Hay.
Tom Grant.
Hugh Burt.
Gerry McSherry.

Any more?

Oh and @ShawsyBear who's to say that it wasn't any of the above that signed NDA's????????

Now there's a thought eh?

What about Terry Cassidy, he has disappeared off the face of the earth like Kelly and Mcginn. Google him you won't find out much information.

Good timeline of events here, an interesting part for me is 1989 The Trophy centre, I always wondered how the funds were raised to start that business. But it looks like it wasn't only Torbett who were in at the very start.

• 1966: Celtic Boys’ Club is founded by Jim Torbett, who had previously been involved in Glasgow youth football.
  • 1976: Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club general manager after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. Torbett is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt (a photographer and Celtic associate) is made chairman.
  • 1989: Jim Torbett creates a new business – The Trophy Centre – alongside Honorary President of the Boy’s Club and Celtic board member, Kevin Kelly, plus Gerald McAleer, former youth player under Torbett, and Angus Yuile who was company secretary.
  • 1991: A youth team member raises allegations of abuse against Cairney that happened during a trip to New Jersey. His father takes him to Celtic Park to meet with new manager, Liam Brady, and chief scout, John Kelman. Brady approaches the board and demands Cairney leave the club. He resigns as general manager and part-time coach and the club announce this is due to ‘business commitments’. The boy is assured that his allegations would not affect his future career at the club. It was also agreed between Celtic, Brady, the boy and his parents that the police would not be informed. Signed statements were taken from four adults who were also on the New Jersey trip. They were all sworn to secrecy.
  • 1993: Torbett is asked back to the club to help them raise funds via memorabilia sales. He eventually also returns to the Boy’s Club.
  • 1994: Fergus McCann joins Celtic and immediately receives an anonymous letter detailing years of abuse at the club. Adamant the persistent rumours should no longer be brushed under the carpet, he calls in Torbett and asks him to meet with the club’s lawyers to sign an affidavit either admitting or denying claims of abuse which could then be passed to police. Torbett refuses.
  • 1994: Celtic fan, Gerry McSherry appears on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he received a number of calls making allegations of untoward behaviour at the Boy’s Club. McSherry began his own investigation.
  • 1994: New Celtic boss Tommy Burns attempts to bring Frank Cairney back to Parkstead. Fergus McCann refuses following outrage from fans in New Jersey.
  • Aug 1996: The Daily Record runs an expose on abuse at Celtic involving Torbett and Cairney. In the following days, former Scotland star Alan Brazil, David Gordon and John McClusky tell The Daily Record of abuse by Torbett when when they were members of the Celtic Boys’ Club. McSherry is contracted to The Daily Record. A further former player, Scott Sinclair, also comes forward claiming that Cairney would abuse boys in his van. Cairney refuted the allegations and denied knowing Sinclair. In response Sinclair handed a photograph to The Daily Record which was a picture of the whole team, including both Sinclair and Cairney.
  • Aug 1996: After the story broke, Burns rushed to Cairney’s home (a man he considered a close friend). He told waiting reporters “He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man“. The following day, an angry McCann issued a statement to the press stating: “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney, the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint“. In response, Burns said he had been misquoted and actually said: “He has my backing and I’m sure he will have the backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level“. Torbett went in to hiding at the home of two former youth players – William and Andrew Gilbert.
  • Aug 1996: A meeting between five men was held in Boston’s Airport where a secret deal was agreed allowing Cairney to resign immediately so as to avoid a police investigation. Celtic chairman, Jack McGinn, allowed Cairney’s written resignation to say it was for “business reasons”. The impromptu meeting consisted of Cairney, Jim McNally, Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson.
  • Aug 1996: Brady agrees not to go to the police. He then went on to be head of the Arsenal youth team.
  • May 1997: Record team win Reporter of the Year award for investigations into sex abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club.
  • Aug 1997: The Court of Appeal lifted a gagging order that had banned the press from reporting on the court trial of Torbett and Cairney.
  • Nov 1998: Torbett stands trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court charged with molesting three youngsters in his care including Alan Brazil. He is found guilty and jailed for two years.
  • 2002: Cleaners find a bin bag full of obscene photographs of boys in a store room at Parkstead. John Cullen, club photographer, is immediately dismissed. He is subsequently found guilty of ‘lewd and libidinous’ behaviour. His lenient sentence causes outrage.
Further connections:

A number of photographs are freely available on the internet of Jimmy Savile and/or the Father O’Connell with different board members.

Celtic was also linked to the notorious St Joseph’s College Roman Catholic boarding school which was rocked by appalling allegations of abuse. It was run by the Marist Brother Order. Interestingly, the team Athletico Bilbao was started by former pupils of the college.

Reference:

Related

T
im gonna steal this for the other thread

Hope Prof Tomkins nails Lieswell again when he responds to the fhat Japanese letter

Openly ask Lieswell will he agree to a totally independent inquiry into the abuse at CBC and CFC ?

That will put the smug prick on the spot

If he refuses it really will make them look guilty of covering up the systematic abuse

I often had them in place before entering into bid discussions.
We, the vendor had trade secrets to protect and the potential client gave us sensitive information.
The NDA for example may have preventing using information to buy shares in the client company

Yes Gogso. I’ve done a few too. Just wanted to say they’re not always involving a payoff, which you’re confirming mate ;)

So there are only 2 outcomes to this farce? Celtic either admit liability and start a compensation fund, or they get sued and dragged through courts for months. It’s come too far to just die down and be forgotten about as most of them want.
I get the impression that while some will be happy to take some compensation cash (as is their prerogative and without criticism) while other most certainly do want their day in court. I hope they have that day and the world gets to hear the grim details and repulsive attempts to deny and coverup.

Last edited:

Further connections:

Reference:

Related

T

Should we try to add to this & try to join the dots mate ?

For example :

Lawwell employment as FC & as Exec Director ?
The years Trophy Centre were paid the 1m ?

I’m sure there’s a lot we could add as a team ?

Further connections:

Reference:

Related

T

I never realised Liam Brady Knew too.

Further connections:

Reference:

Related

T
Torbett was welcomed back into the fold after big Jock supposedly booted him out.
The same big Jock was comfortable enough to present Torbett with an award even though he was fully aware of his sordid past.

I don't see this in the above timeline.

Last edited:
As an American I agree with t his 100 percent. It was Catholic's in America and Catholic judges and prosecutors who have gone after the pedo priest. Or as I would say "we have 99 problems in America but Catholics aint one."
They only get away with it,in this wee country, because our media are either bigots themselves, or are shitebags. The media have drove this country to what it is, they gave to much power to the celtic bigots

Should we try to add to this & try to join the dots mate ?

For example :

Lawwell employment as FC & as Exec Director ?
The years Trophy Centre were paid the 1m ?

I’m sure there’s a lot we could add as a team ?

I'm sure we could split certain events over a period of days and all research and chip in?

For example, despite following all this since the 80's I never knew the following until half an hour ago.

Gerry McAleer, a former youth player under Torbett, dismissed any allegations against Torbett. McAleer was accused by the prosection of being “paid off” as he was, by that point, appointed business partner of Torbett at The Trophy Club.

I'm sure we could split certain events over a period of days and all research and chip in?

For example, despite following all this since the 80's I never knew the following until half an hour ago.

Gerry McAleer, a former youth player under Torbett, dismissed any allegations against Torbett. McAleer was accused by the prosection of being “paid off” as he was, by that point, appointed business partner of Torbett at The Trophy Club.

Exactly.

The bit that doesn’t make sense with me is the Cairney agreement in 1996. Why wasn’t that 1991 ?
My recollection was that they agreed it after flying from NJ to Boston on the way home ?

Exactly.

The bit that doesn’t make sense with me is the Cairney agreement in 1996. Why wasn’t that 1991 ?
My recollection was that they agreed it after flying from NJ to Boston on the way home ?

There will no doubt be dates that could do with tidying up, some of these older blogs were panned for years as our equivalent moon howlers,but they are a mine of information now.
I have links to a few somewhere i will dig them up.

There will no doubt be dates that could do with tidying up, some of these older blogs were panned for years as our equivalent moon howlers,but they are a mine of information now.
I have links to a few somewhere i will dig them up.

Wiki says Lawwell was there as FC 1990/91 but I’m sure I previously read he was there longer.
Not sure if anyone has the previous wiki page to confirm or deny this.
Because if my previous thought was right he’s there during some crucial times eg Cairney in NJ, Macari incident etc.

Would it be worth getting a lawyer to make The U S State Dept aware of the sexual assaults / collusion that were perpetrated on U S soil?
I’m sure there must be some N
Would it be worth getting a lawyer to make The U S State Dept aware of the sexual assaults / collusion that were perpetrated on U S soil?
I’m sure there must by guys on here from the NARSA that can advise on this or start making people aware of matters

There’s also a whole DR ( I think ) article about that so there’s a good bit of info available even the American couples name.
The article said that they weren’t happy with the CBC approach & wanted to go to the police.

Folk adding Gerry McCann’s name to memes etc are doing more harm than good.

Said the same many times.

It’s pointless and so unnecessary when used to discredit them. There’s an already long list of convicted criminals who pedalled their filthy habits while at the club like no other. There’s nothing to gain using the McCann name ,there is however credibility to lose by doing so. If people stick to the facts there IS NO defence for what went on it’s as simple as that.

Is it the schools, or is it the Irish republican sympathising football club most of them invariably support up there?

I know a good few catholics down here in London and they don’t have any hatred for Britain at all.

I'd say its definitely a west of Scotland problem, it doesnt help when they get together collectively in these schools. Remember a few months ago in the herald private school singing about the IRA. (rugby team as well) these are going to be future doctors and lawyers.

With regard to the NJ story, I think the guy took the correct course of action in making sure he got the 2 boys safely home to their families. Maybe not correct in a legal sense, but he could not have left 2 lads in the states under protective custody. What a feckin dilema.
Is that actually the case though, legally? I know someone told him that but as far as I know it wasn't anyone with any legal qualifications.

Hope Prof Tomkins nails Lieswell again when he responds to the fhat Japanese letter

Openly ask Lieswell will he agree to a totally independent inquiry into the abuse at CBC and CFC ?

That will put the smug prick on the spot

If he refuses it really will make them look guilty of covering up the systematic abuse

Spot on.

This is the victims and their families only hope of getting ready realistic compensation.

Litigation stands to benefit them and damage Celtic financially with greater payouts through the courts.

I'd say its definitely a west of Scotland problem, it doesnt help when they get together collectively in these schools. Remember a few months ago in the herald private school singing about the IRA. (rugby team as well) these are going to be future doctors and lawyers.

That’s unreal mate.

Said the same many times.

It’s pointless and so unnecessary when used to discredit them. There’s an already long list of convicted criminals who pedalled their filthy habits while at the club like no other. There’s nothing to gain using the McCann name ,there is however credibility to lose by doing so. If people stick to the facts there IS NO defence for what went on it’s as simple as that.

100%

Wiki says Lawwell was there as FC 1990/91 but I’m sure I previously read he was there longer.
Not sure if anyone has the previous wiki page to confirm or deny this.
Because if my previous thought was right he’s there during some crucial times eg Cairney in NJ, Macari incident etc.

I checked with internet archive as far back as 2011 it was showing him only being there as fc in 1990. There must be some other way of checking though.

Back