Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

I checked with internet archive as far back as 2011 it was showing him only being there as fc in 1990. There must be some other way of checking though.

Obviously HMRC would have it but we won’t get access there.
And if he wasn’t a director then Companies House won’t have it.

Good timeline of events here, an interesting part for me is 1989 The Trophy centre, I always wondered how the funds were raised to start that business. But it looks like it wasn't only Torbett who were in at the very start.

• 1966: Celtic Boys’ Club is founded by Jim Torbett, who had previously been involved in Glasgow youth football.
  • 1968: Allegations of abuse begin.
  • 1970: Frank Cairney joins club.
  • 1976: Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club general manager after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. Torbett is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt (a photographer and Celtic associate) is made chairman.
  • 1978: Jock Stein leaves the club.
  • 1982: John Cullen joins the club as photographer.
  • 1985: Jock Stein dies.
  • 1989: Jim Torbett creates a new business – The Trophy Centre – alongside Honorary President of the Boy’s Club and Celtic board member, Kevin Kelly, plus Gerald McAleer, former youth player under Torbett, and Angus Yuile who was company secretary.
  • 1991: A youth team member raises allegations of abuse against Cairney that happened during a trip to New Jersey. His father takes him to Celtic Park to meet with new manager, Liam Brady, and chief scout, John Kelman. Brady approaches the board and demands Cairney leave the club. He resigns as general manager and part-time coach and the club announce this is due to ‘business commitments’. The boy is assured that his allegations would not affect his future career at the club. It was also agreed between Celtic, Brady, the boy and his parents that the police would not be informed. Signed statements were taken from four adults who were also on the New Jersey trip. They were all sworn to secrecy.
  • 1993: Torbett is asked back to the club to help them raise funds via memorabilia sales. He eventually also returns to the Boy’s Club.
  • 1994: Fergus McCann joins Celtic and immediately receives an anonymous letter detailing years of abuse at the club. Adamant the persistent rumours should no longer be brushed under the carpet, he calls in Torbett and asks him to meet with the club’s lawyers to sign an affidavit either admitting or denying claims of abuse which could then be passed to police. Torbett refuses.
  • 1994: Celtic fan, Gerry McSherry appears on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he received a number of calls making allegations of untoward behaviour at the Boy’s Club. McSherry began his own investigation.
  • 1994: New Celtic boss Tommy Burns attempts to bring Frank Cairney back to Parkstead. Fergus McCann refuses following outrage from fans in New Jersey.
  • Aug 1996: The Daily Record runs an expose on abuse at Celtic involving Torbett and Cairney. In the following days, former Scotland star Alan Brazil, David Gordon and John McClusky tell The Daily Record of abuse by Torbett when when they were members of the Celtic Boys’ Club. McSherry is contracted to The Daily Record. A further former player, Scott Sinclair, also comes forward claiming that Cairney would abuse boys in his van. Cairney refuted the allegations and denied knowing Sinclair. In response Sinclair handed a photograph to The Daily Record which was a picture of the whole team, including both Sinclair and Cairney.
  • Aug 1996: After the story broke, Burns rushed to Cairney’s home (a man he considered a close friend). He told waiting reporters “He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man“. The following day, an angry McCann issued a statement to the press stating: “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney, the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint“. In response, Burns said he had been misquoted and actually said: “He has my backing and I’m sure he will have the backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level“. Torbett went in to hiding at the home of two former youth players – William and Andrew Gilbert.
  • Aug 1996: A meeting between five men was held in Boston’s Airport where a secret deal was agreed allowing Cairney to resign immediately so as to avoid a police investigation. Celtic chairman, Jack McGinn, allowed Cairney’s written resignation to say it was for “business reasons”. The impromptu meeting consisted of Cairney, Jim McNally, Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson.
  • Aug 1996: The Trophy Centre sponsors the Scottish Amateur Youth leagues.
  • Aug 1996: Brady agrees not to go to the police. He then went on to be head of the Arsenal youth team.
  • Oct 1996: Torbett charged with sex offences.
  • May 1997: Record team win Reporter of the Year award for investigations into sex abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club.
  • Aug 1997: The Court of Appeal lifted a gagging order that had banned the press from reporting on the court trial of Torbett and Cairney.
  • Nov 1998: Torbett stands trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court charged with molesting three youngsters in his care including Alan Brazil. He is found guilty and jailed for two years.
  • 2000: Torbett resigns as director of The Trophy Centre.
  • 2002: Cleaners find a bin bag full of obscene photographs of boys in a store room at Parkstead. John Cullen, club photographer, is immediately dismissed. He is subsequently found guilty of ‘lewd and libidinous’ behaviour. His lenient sentence causes outrage.
  • 2005: Kevin Kelly resigns as director of The Trophy Centre.
Further connections:

A number of photographs are freely available on the internet of Jimmy Savile and/or the Father O’Connell with different board members.

Celtic was also linked to the notorious St Joseph’s College Roman Catholic boarding school which was rocked by appalling allegations of abuse. It was run by the Marist Brother Order. Interestingly, the team Athletico Bilbao was started by former pupils of the college.

Reference:

Related

T
This should be stickied, moved to the first post of this thread and continually updated.

I’m sure I’ve seen a few people refer to them supplying kits and the likes. Not saying it’s correct, but it’s been mentioned a few times

The trophy centre was laden with shite.
They didn't supply kits. First and foremost it was predominantly trophies and medals.

Calendars, cheap watches, clocks, mugs and other assorted shite.
In a nutshell, it was cheap guff.

What we are also dismissing is £1m back then is the equivalent of £2.2m today.(I looked it up).

Back then Celtc wouldn't pay £1m for their entire forward line never mind the stock for two shops full of coffee mugs, key rings and posters of Anton Rogan.

Dodgy as f uck.

P.S. The trophy centre also sold Rangers tat.

Wonder if we gave Torby a million notes?

Last edited:
Good timeline of events here, an interesting part for me is 1989 The Trophy centre, I always wondered how the funds were raised to start that business. But it looks like it wasn't only Torbett who were in at the very start.

• 1966: Celtic Boys’ Club is founded by Jim Torbett, who had previously been involved in Glasgow youth football.
  • 1976: Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club general manager after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. Torbett is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt (a photographer and Celtic associate) is made chairman.
  • 1989: Jim Torbett creates a new business – The Trophy Centre – alongside Honorary President of the Boy’s Club and Celtic board member, Kevin Kelly, plus Gerald McAleer, former youth player under Torbett, and Angus Yuile who was company secretary.
  • 1991: A youth team member raises allegations of abuse against Cairney that happened during a trip to New Jersey. His father takes him to Celtic Park to meet with new manager, Liam Brady, and chief scout, John Kelman. Brady approaches the board and demands Cairney leave the club. He resigns as general manager and part-time coach and the club announce this is due to ‘business commitments’. The boy is assured that his allegations would not affect his future career at the club. It was also agreed between Celtic, Brady, the boy and his parents that the police would not be informed. Signed statements were taken from four adults who were also on the New Jersey trip. They were all sworn to secrecy.
  • 1993: Torbett is asked back to the club to help them raise funds via memorabilia sales. He eventually also returns to the Boy’s Club.
  • 1994: Fergus McCann joins Celtic and immediately receives an anonymous letter detailing years of abuse at the club. Adamant the persistent rumours should no longer be brushed under the carpet, he calls in Torbett and asks him to meet with the club’s lawyers to sign an affidavit either admitting or denying claims of abuse which could then be passed to police. Torbett refuses.
  • 1994: Celtic fan, Gerry McSherry appears on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he received a number of calls making allegations of untoward behaviour at the Boy’s Club. McSherry began his own investigation.
  • 1994: New Celtic boss Tommy Burns attempts to bring Frank Cairney back to Parkstead. Fergus McCann refuses following outrage from fans in New Jersey.
  • Aug 1996: The Daily Record runs an expose on abuse at Celtic involving Torbett and Cairney. In the following days, former Scotland star Alan Brazil, David Gordon and John McClusky tell The Daily Record of abuse by Torbett when when they were members of the Celtic Boys’ Club. McSherry is contracted to The Daily Record. A further former player, Scott Sinclair, also comes forward claiming that Cairney would abuse boys in his van. Cairney refuted the allegations and denied knowing Sinclair. In response Sinclair handed a photograph to The Daily Record which was a picture of the whole team, including both Sinclair and Cairney.
  • Aug 1996: After the story broke, Burns rushed to Cairney’s home (a man he considered a close friend). He told waiting reporters “He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man“. The following day, an angry McCann issued a statement to the press stating: “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney, the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint“. In response, Burns said he had been misquoted and actually said: “He has my backing and I’m sure he will have the backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level“. Torbett went in to hiding at the home of two former youth players – William and Andrew Gilbert.
  • Aug 1996: A meeting between five men was held in Boston’s Airport where a secret deal was agreed allowing Cairney to resign immediately so as to avoid a police investigation. Celtic chairman, Jack McGinn, allowed Cairney’s written resignation to say it was for “business reasons”. The impromptu meeting consisted of Cairney, Jim McNally, Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson.
  • Aug 1996: Brady agrees not to go to the police. He then went on to be head of the Arsenal youth team.
  • May 1997: Record team win Reporter of the Year award for investigations into sex abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club.
  • Aug 1997: The Court of Appeal lifted a gagging order that had banned the press from reporting on the court trial of Torbett and Cairney.
  • Nov 1998: Torbett stands trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court charged with molesting three youngsters in his care including Alan Brazil. He is found guilty and jailed for two years.
  • 2002: Cleaners find a bin bag full of obscene photographs of boys in a store room at Parkstead. John Cullen, club photographer, is immediately dismissed. He is subsequently found guilty of ‘lewd and libidinous’ behaviour. His lenient sentence causes outrage.
Further connections:

A number of photographs are freely available on the internet of Jimmy Savile and/or the Father O’Connell with different board members.

Celtic was also linked to the notorious St Joseph’s College Roman Catholic boarding school which was rocked by appalling allegations of abuse. It was run by the Marist Brother Order. Interestingly, the team Athletico Bilbao was started by former pupils of the college.

Reference:

Related

T
How unlucky can Celtic be? You force out your club photographer (Hugh birt) who came to you with allegations of child abuse at Celtic boys club and replace him with another photographer, John Cullen who was found with hundreds of indecent images of children.

I checked with internet archive as far back as 2011 it was showing him only being there as fc in 1990. There must be some other way of checking though.

I found two different articles on him Humbug. It looks like he did only work for them from 1990 to 1991.
So he’s probably been aware of the Cairney New Jersey issue but not Macari or Brady incidents.

I found two different articles on him Humbug. It looks like he did only work for them from 1990 to 1991.
So he’s probably been aware of the Cairney New Jersey issue but not Macari or Brady incidents.
Was he not alleged to have worked alongside Stuart Regan at Coors and paved the way for him to get the sfa gig? I know he was involved in a few iffy dealings with the coal board and was also at clydeport.

Was he not alleged to have worked alongside Stuart Regan at Coors and paved the way for him to get the a few gig? I know he was involved in a few iffy dealings with the coal board and was also at clydeport.

Good point SYD. He got the SFA Regan didn’t he ? The SFA placeman.
I knew about Clydeport tbrough a bear who worked there. Seemingly a right bugger.

How unlucky can Celtic be? You force out your club photographer (Hugh birt) who came to you with allegations of child abuse at Celtic boys club and replace him with another photographer, John Cullen who was found with hundreds of indecent images of children.

It can't get any worse...can it? So many glaring appointments.

Torbett replaced by Cairney as General manager, Cairney is replaced by Torbett on his release and then Gerald King replaces Torbett. But at one point they are all there at the same time under different roles.

It really is a mindfuck how they have done all this with no one doing anything about it.

Torbett replaced by Cairney as General manager, Cairney is replaced by Torbett on his release and then Gerald King replaces Torbett. But at one point they are all there at the same time under different roles.

It really is a mindfuck how they have done all this with no one doing anything about it.

That’s what makes me question Kelly. Was there someone high up protecting / mentoring them mate ?
There were rumours many years ago about Chris White taking kids on the Glasgow Euston overnight train too. Always expected that to break but it never did.

Inquiry will sort it all out. And there will be more in the frame. All the bastards that knew and done nothing. The list will be endless. Old players and old employees being dragged in with their heads hung in shame. Along with 55 this could be a fantastic 12 months. Justice for the victims and they filthy bastards being brought down.

That’s what makes me question Kelly. Was there someone high up protecting / mentoring them mate ?
There were rumours many years ago about Chris White taking kids on the Glasgow Euston overnight train too. Always expected that to break but it never did.
When Torbett was on the board at Fairbridge,McCafferty was the minibus driver taking young vulnerable boys down to London for weekend stays

Inquiry will sort it all out. And there will be more in the frame. All the bastards that knew and done nothing. The list will be endless. Old players and old employees being dragged in with their heads hung in shame. Along with 55 this could be a fantastic 12 months. Justice for the victims and they filthy bastards being brought down.

The cesspit that is Scotland can’t be trusted where justice / impartiality is concerned

Kelly has too many links to be innocent in my opinion
He was in the perfect position to protect others as well

Good point SYD. He got the SFA Regan didn’t he ? The SFA placeman.
I knew about Clydeport tbrough a bear who worked there. Seemingly a right bugger.
Have a look at Lawwells shenanigans at Mining Scotland...behind the scenes dealings with Labour energy minister Brian Wilson,and the tub of lard from Coatbridge. Fucking Monktonhall colliery with the loss of 500 jobs ,secret government bail outs,taxpayers footing the bill,and Lawwell,Wilson and Reid all walked away and reunited at the piggery. Not got all.the facts but something stinks

The cesspit that is Scotland can’t be trusted where justice / impartiality is concerned
Agree with you Virgil. That’s why I’m glad that the English FA are also involved. British justice will be served on them. It’s absolutely criminal that the SNP have basically done nothing. A two year secret internal inquiry says it all imo. They are digging themselves a bigger hole.

It’s hard not to think / fear the worst with that shower of cuńts.

I know. Especially the more weve found out mate.
Just read there that the guy who highlighted the paedos Hugh Birt was told to resign, which I knew. You know who had the meeting with him ?
Bloody Cairney, Torbett & Kelly. Can’t help thinking he’s the one that shielded them FOR SOME REASON :mad:

Torbett was welcomed back into the fold after big Jock supposedly booted him out.
The same big Jock was comfortable enough to present Torbett with an award even though he was fully aware of his sordid past.

I don't see this in the above timeline.

The recent Mark Daly reports stated that Torbett left in 1974 but returned in 1978.
As pointed out above, 1978 was also the same year Stein left.
And the trophy award presentation photo (mentioned above) of Torbett, Stein and Birt all together, was in 1977.

If Daly's timeline is correct, it throws up many crucial questions which need answers.

Have a look at Lawwells shenanigans at Mining Scotland...behind the scenes dealings with Labour energy minister Brian Wilson,and the tub of lard from Coatbridge. Fucking Monktonhall colliery with the loss of 500 jobs ,secret government bail outs,taxpayers footing the bill,and Lawwell,Wilson and Reid all walked away and reunited at the piggery. Not got all.the facts but something stinks

Sounds dodgy as hell SYD. That Wilson was a director at them yes ?

I'm sure we could split certain events over a period of days and all research and chip in?

For example, despite following all this since the 80's I never knew the following until half an hour ago.

Gerry McAleer, a former youth player under Torbett, dismissed any allegations against Torbett. McAleer was accused by the prosection of being “paid off” as he was, by that point, appointed business partner of Torbett at The Trophy Club.

Further connections:

Reference:

Related

T
First time poster, usually read forum to keep up to date with all things Rangers. Back in late 80's - early 90's I worked for a whisky company in Glasgow who done business with The Trophy Centre and a company called Centenary Scotch Whisky Ltd. Turns out Torbett and Kevin Kelly were directors of both. Always found it strange that Septic branded whisky wasn't being produced by the club or their retail operation. Almost looks like the Septic brand was a cash cow to be milked by Kelly, Torbett, etc. The whole rancid set up stinks, I hope each and everyone of the perpetrators and those who choose to ignore it receive the punishment they deserve. The victims and their families deserve nothing less, they have my full support in ensuring all responsible are held to account.

Agree with you Virgil. That’s why I’m glad that the English FA are also involved. British justice will be served on them. It’s absolutely criminal that the SNP have basically done nothing. A two year secret internal inquiry says it all imo. They are digging themselves a bigger hole.
The SNP won’t do a thing as they know they will lose far too many votes and probably kiss any shitty Indy hopes goodbye

There needs to be punishment from the UK government
We need to be getting MPs speaking about this in Westminster

It looks like the Trophy Centre payments started in 1999 from the article I just read mate. If that’s right it looks like they stopped around the time Lawwell returned.

Further connections:

Reference:

Related

T

This is incredibly useful. Thanks for doing the work to put it all together.

First time poster, usually read forum to keep up to date with all things Rangers. Back in late 80's - early 90's I worked for a whisky company in Glasgow who done business with The Trophy Centre and a company called Centenary Scotch Whisky Ltd. Turns out Torbett and Kevin Kelly were directors of both. Always found it strange that Septic branded whisky wasn't being produced by the club or their retail operation. Almost looks like the Septic brand was a cash cow to be milked by Kelly, Torbett, etc. The whole rancid set up stinks, I hope each and everyone of the perpetrators and those who choose to ignore it receive the punishment they deserve. The victims and their families deserve nothing less, they have my full support in ensuring all responsible are held to account.

So was Thomas Grant, who according to company house is still a director of Celtic plc

The trophy centre was laden with shite.
They didn't supply kits. First and foremost it was predominantly trophies and medals.

Calendars, cheap watches, clocks, mugs and other assorted shite.
In a nutshell, it was cheap guff.

What we are also dismissing is £1m back then is the equivalent of £2.2m today.(I looked it up).

Back then Celtc wouldn't pay £1m for their entire forward line never mind the stock for two shops full of coffee mugs, key rings and posters of Anton Rogan.

Dodgy as f uck.

P.S. The trophy centre also sold Rangers tat.

Wonder if we gave Torby a million notes?
Was feeling a bit shite, then I read this made me laugh out loud. Welldone done Shengus

How unlucky can Celtic be? You force out your club photographer (Hugh birt) who came to you with allegations of child abuse at Celtic boys club and replace him with another photographer, John Cullen who was found with hundreds of indecent images of children.[/QUOTE

Not that it makes it more or less sordid but was it ever revealed who the images were of?

What if there were boys from CBC?

I'd say its definitely a west of Scotland problem, it doesnt help when they get together collectively in these schools. Remember a few months ago in the herald private school singing about the IRA. (rugby team as well) these are going to be future doctors and lawyers.

In fairness, when we (Glasgow Academy) played St. Aloysius and St. Mungo at rugby we sang the Sash and Derrys Walls in the baths after.

Here is the 'complicit celtc cover up crew'. You would imagine celtc interviewed them all (still living of course) as part of their investigation?

So far the definitive list of those that knew about the existence of this peadophile ring and assisted in a 40 year cover up are:

Lawell.
Kelly.
Stein.
McCann.
Desmond.
Billy McNeil.
Macari.
Brady.
McGinn .
DORNAN
David Hay.
Tom Grant.
Hugh Burt.
Gerry McSherry.

Any more?

Oh and @ShawsyBear who's to say that it wasn't any of the above that signed NDA's????????

Now there's a thought eh?
Burns

Agree Fraser.

Just read in the last 20 minutes that when Hugh Birt was told to resign that Kelly accompanied the two paedos to the meeting to tell him.
This entire affair needs laid bare and when it is I think you will find that it will all make Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter look like a couple of pussycats

I would bet that nearly everyone at that club over the past 40 years knew that something was going on and their silence makes them all guilty in a way

Their disgusting fans will never accept that they have done anything wrong no matter the outcome

They will always try and make out they are the victims

This is incredibly useful. Thanks for doing the work to put it all together.

The Cairney timings are a bit weird HB.

The Boston Airport meeting was 1991, not 1996.
Also I don’t understand those comments being in 1996 about him leaving when he had to resign in 1991 over the New Jersey incident. In simple terms, a couple of Wobblies in there.

Also I don’t understand those comments being in 1996 about him leaving when he had to resign in 1991 over the New Jersey incident. In simple terms, a couple of Wobblies in there.

Humbug has gone to the trouble of doing the legwork. If there are a few glitches then we can help him/her refine it.

I think there's been an error mate. I'm sure the 1996 mentioned is when the story of the 1991 US tour first came to light.

Back