Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

The SFA cannot be trusted with this in any way shape or form.

From the emails I've had back from the 15+ organisations and people, half have been positive and half have been negative.

My personal opinion on this is that the Scottish Conservative party will not let this go. Patrick McGuire doing a good job so far at Thompsons Solicitors. Many other emails recieved from whoever else are ready to go after Celtic. Don't throw the towel in just yet.

Part of an email recieved from Scottish Conservative Deputy Leader Jackson Carlaw.

"It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this. It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months."
Its an imperative they do and be rewarded with the Blue vote accordingly. They have mine.

I couldn't find a direct contact address for UEFA, but, over the weekend, I did I find contact details for Terre des Hommes (a Core Partner in UEFA's Responsibility Portfolio)
https://tdh.uk/en/contact-tdh-uk

Here's what I wrote ...

"I understand that Terre des Hommes is a core partner in UEFA’s Responsibility Portfolio for the 2017/21 cycle.

I would like to ask if you are aware that, in the space of two years, one of UEFA’s member clubs - Celtic FC - has had four former Celtic Boys Club office holders tried and convicted of sexual offences against young boys in their charge.

Jim McCafferty
The former Celtic kit man and Celtic Boys Club coach was jailed for six years and nine months in May 2019 after admitting 12 charges against young players over a 24-year period starting in 1972. He was also sentenced to three years and nine months in August 2018 for sexually abusing a teenage boy in Belfast.

Jim Torbett
The founder of the Celtic Boys Club was sentenced to six years in November 2018 for abusing three boys between 1986 and 1994. He was also jailed for two years in 1998 for molesting children between 1967 and 1974.

Frank Cairney
The former coach of Celtic Boys Club under-16s team was jailed in February 2019 for four years. He abused eight boys while running a team in Lanarkshire. He joined Celtic Boys Club in 1971 after being asked to run the youth side by the manager Jock Stein.

Gerald King
The former Celtic Boys Club chairman avoided jail in January despite being convicted of abusing four boys and a girl at a Glasgow primary school in the 1980s. He was found guilty of using lewd and libidinous practices towards his five victims between 1984 and 1989.

Further investigation is currently under way to establish any connection with Barry Bennell, a former football coach, who worked at Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra, was sentenced in February 2019 to 30 years in prison for sex offences against junior players.

In addition, in 2004, John Cullen, a photographer with Celtic Football Club admitted a charge of indecency against boys aged as young as 10. 250 pictures of young boys in various states of undress, were hidden in a storeroom at Celtic Park for nearly 20 years.

Terre des homme's Guidance on Appropriate Behaviour advises against -
* Behaving physically in a manner which is inappropriate or sexually provocative.
* Condoning or participating in behaviour with children which is illegal, unsafe or abusive
* Developing physical and/or sexual relations with children or their family members.
* Developing relationships with children which could in any way be deemed exploitative or abusive.
* Spending time alone with children away from others.

Despite growing documentary evidence, Celtic FC continue to deny any official link with the Boys Club. This position is causing much grief and distress to the ever-growing number of victims and their families. The five convicted paedophiles named above have all committed serious breaches of TdH's Guidelines.

Celtic FC's continued abrogation of responsibility condones these sexual offences.

Could you please, in your capacity as a Core Partner in UEFA's Responsibility Portfolio, refer this matter to the appropriate UEFA department?

I await your reply with interest.

Regards,

johnkp"

Great email mate, we need people outside our country to take notice, because they don’t have to protect anybody other than innocent children. Mad Donald Trump likes a tweet or two has anybody hit him with penn state comparisons yet?

No.

But we have got 6,330 posts outlining exactly what SHOULD HAPPEN!

A handful of posters - myself included - fear they are already confining this Scandal of epic proportions to the long grass.

A lot of posters have taken action and written demanding an independently composed enquiry and I doff my cap.

Still say sponsors is the only potential for fall out I can see for them.
G. I don’t think it’s the only way to make things fall down. BUT it’s an angle we should really focus on.

One, potentially smaller sponsor, who could end up in real trouble for backing the wrong horse could start the cards falling.

Last edited:
So was "His Emminence" Keith Michael Patrick O'Brien apart from the bit where he sexually assaulted a pile of men.

Similarly with the paedo priest O'Connell from Kilsyth.

"A man of God" means %^*& all when you're a lady's front bottom.
Add them to a huge international list of scum.

Celtic should become the footballing equivalent of Penn state , the first thing people think when hearing that name , they deserve this for enabling these abusers for over four decades , and would be poetic justice to see the very name they protected whilst sacrificing these children’s lives , tarnished beyond repair .
Yes, you'd think so, oh hang on. A young Motherwell played seems all set to sign.
Is he normal?
Is he that greedy?
Is he that stupid?

If yae fly wae the craws, yae get shot wae the craws.

Someone should be advising this boy that he's making a huge mistake. Celtic are damaged goods. The Celtic brand is now completely toxic.

I say again..

Is he normal?
Is he that greedy?
Is he that stupid?

Does he have any friends saying..peodo's mate?

He certainly won't have any Timmy mates saying it.

Like their club, these people are living in complete and utter denial.
Difficult to believe a teenager today is that poorly informed.
He clearly accepts that he's choosing CA denial as an acceptable environment to exist in.
Shame on him and his 'advisors"

Stumbled across this article on twitter from 2016, it's behind a firewall so if anyone has a subscription to the times and would like to post the full article it'd be much appreciated.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sexual-abuse-inquiry-cannot-cover-football-xx5tz5jd8

The first paragraphs states that Dugdale backed calls for inquiry to be extended to include football clubs but Sturgeon refused, I didn't know there were calls for this at the time. It's disgraceful, and now more information is known it should be used to highlight how shocking a decision it was not to include football clubs in scope of inquiry.

The reason why the decision to exclude football clubs from the inquiry would be fascinating to understand. Who made this decision and how did they justify excluding football clubs?
Edit. Just read some more of the thread and can see Sturgeon's reason. Perhaps we should wait to see the SFA's and the internal Ceptic's reports and take this from there.

Last edited:
Celtic should become the footballing equivalent of Penn state , the first thing people think when hearing that name , they deserve this for enabling these abusers for over four decades , and would be poetic justice to see the very name they protected whilst sacrificing these children’s lives , tarnished beyond repair .

Just had a wee thought for a banner for the first Old Firm game net season:-

Penn State 1 - 6 Celtic. Thoughts?

If yae fly wae the craws, yae get shot wae the craws.

Someone should be advising this boy that he's making a huge mistake. Celtic are damaged goods. The Celtic brand is now completely toxic.
The thing is that the Celtic brand isn,t toxic.have any of their sponsors with drawn their sponsorship yet no they have,t.that is the problem.only in this country would this actually happen.

It should have nothing to do with the SFA. Police matter. END OF
The police will not be the ones to dish out punishment to Celtic for the facilitation and cover up of child abuse. They can prosecute any wrong doing, but it’s down to the SFA to set any punishment for them. They should be setting up an independent enquiry headed by a law lord with wide ranging powers of punishment for wrongdoing by the club, not the individuals. That is not forthcoming by the SFA and is the reason I think Celtic will get away with it.

It is people like Brian Scott who could help bring this tower of evil to the ground. People who were there but are not part of the cult that views accepting such behaviour as normal.

If anyone has contacts with journalists investigating, he may well be worth interviewing.

He was at Celtic from 1980-2004. He must have inside information.

I'm sure he was surprisingly replaced after a lengthy and loyal service. I think he fought for compensation and their defence was drink related. Why sack him after all those years and if there was a slightest hint then why did he turn to drink. More questions please.

Think that was Alan Thomsons 'crime' under lemon. The sober version....apparently..one day

It was Brian Scott right enough and looks like they got him. They even admitted he knew too much. Has he been silenced too?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...t-in-surprise-move-on-fourth-day-of-tribunal/

10th September 2004

Deal ends sacked Celtic physio case Club and Scott in surprise move on fourth day of tribunal

THEIR professional relationship lasted 24 years and three-and-a-half days at an employment tribunal.
Celtic FC and Brian Scott, the club's former physiotherapist, yesterday brought their legal battle to a close by reaching a deal that satisfied both parties.
The surprise move followed evidence given yesterday morning by Mr Scott, when he admitted breaching strict confidentiality rules. He was claiming unfair dismissal and breach of contract after being sacked on August 18, 2003.
Rod McKenzie, Celtic's solicitor, said lunchtime discussions on the fourth day of the hearing had resulted in both parties reaching a deal.
''The action by Mr Scott will be dismissed following an agreement by both parties. The tribunal will be continued for six weeks to allow the agreement to be documented. Following that, an announcement will be made by the tribunal.''
Mr Scott looked relieved as he left the tribunal, but refused to comment. He had admitted under cross-examination from Mr McKenzie in the morning that he had breached strict confidentiality agreements by revealing the details of players' injuries to a company that had offered him a lucrative financial deal.
Mr Scott passed on information about treatment he gave to Stilian Petrov and other first-team players to the manufacturers of a treatment machine he was in negotiations to endorse.
He also admitted he had tried to persuade Celtic to buy one of the (pounds) 15,000 phy-back physiotherapy machines without telling his employer about his proposed deal with the company.
It emerged that Mr Scott had been in talks with the company to endorse the machine and that his accountant had suggested a (pounds) 25,000-a-year retainer plus 5% royalties on all sales.
Questioned by Mr McKenzie, Mr Scott admitted he had leaked the confidential information to Liz Kane, chairwoman of Biomedical Innovations, the UK distributor of the machine.
When asked by Mr McKenzie if he considered the release of the information to be a breach of trust, Mr Scott agreed.
''Yes, it was a breach of patient confidentiality. And it was also a breach of trust to the club. The information, yes it was confidential, but I understood it would remain confidential,'' he said.
Earlier in the week, it emerged that Celtic had not followed proper disciplinary procedures when dismissing Mr Scott. There were claims that Mr O'Neill sacked Mr Scott after he turned up for work drunk several times.
Roddy MacDonald, the club doctor, told the hearing that drinking was one of several complaints against Mr Scott. But Mr O'Neill stressed drunkenness was not an issue in relation to his sacking.
Mr Scott had broken down twice the previous day while giving evidence as he tried to describe the moment his 24 years with Celtic had ended. Michael McMillan, the tribunal chairman, adjourned the hearing as Mr Scott held his head in his hands and wept.
Mr Scott denied allegations of drunkenness at work while on a US tour with Celtic.

On Tuesday, Mr O'Neill said Mr Scott had held Celtic ''to ransom'' by threatening to write a book detailing personal information on players. He told the tribunal that Mr Scott had listened to players' tales of sexual activities while he treated their injuries.
Mr O'Neill claimed Mr Scott said he could earn (pounds) 250,00 by selling his story or by writing an book about his time at the club.

He said: ''He'd been there 24 years. He'd have plenty to write about. I felt we were being held to ransom if we didn't cough up.''

Last edited:
The thing is that the Celtic brand isn,t toxic.have any of their sponsors with drawn their sponsorship yet no they have,t.that is the problem.only in this country would this actually happen.

It’s going to take something to come out of greater magnitude than what already has ( and in reality very little of what has come out is new) to damage these bastards. They’re not downsizing because of this, but because their wage structure is based on CL footballl. One season without was bad, but 2 would be a disaster. As far as our support goes, outside the forums there is little interest in their goings on. The most I get from my mates is “ aye that’s terrible” then it’s back to other conversation. Not having a go at those on here who are trying to get this investigated, I’m merely pointing out what we’re up against.

Their name grows more toxic with each passing day.

Sponsors will be taking a very close look at the existing contracts they have with
Celtic and I'd be more than a little surprised if quite a few of them don't go for the TERMINADO option at renewal time.

Reputational damage in business is a very difficult thing to overcome. Celtic have been stigmatised forever, and will always be associated with paedophilia and attempting to cover it up.

It’s going to take something to come out of greater magnitude than what already has ( and in reality very little of what has come out is new) to damage these bastards.

It needs that NDA which probably doesn't exist.

But Jack McGinn and Gerry McSherry exist, and both the Police and media should be kicking doors down to speak with them.

McGinn in particular has an awful lot to answer for.

It was Brian Scott right enough and looks like they got him. They even admitted he knew too much. Has he been silenced too?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...t-in-surprise-move-on-fourth-day-of-tribunal/

10th September 2004

Deal ends sacked Celtic physio case Club and Scott in surprise move on fourth day of tribunal

THEIR professional relationship lasted 24 years and three-and-a-half days at an employment tribunal.
Celtic FC and Brian Scott, the club's former physiotherapist, yesterday brought their legal battle to a close by reaching a deal that satisfied both parties.
The surprise move followed evidence given yesterday morning by Mr Scott, when he admitted breaching strict confidentiality rules. He was claiming unfair dismissal and breach of contract after being sacked on August 18, 2003.
Rod McKenzie, Celtic's solicitor, said lunchtime discussions on the fourth day of the hearing had resulted in both parties reaching a deal.
''The action by Mr Scott will be dismissed following an agreement by both parties. The tribunal will be continued for six weeks to allow the agreement to be documented. Following that, an announcement will be made by the tribunal.''
Mr Scott looked relieved as he left the tribunal, but refused to comment. He had admitted under cross-examination from Mr McKenzie in the morning that he had breached strict confidentiality agreements by revealing the details of players' injuries to a company that had offered him a lucrative financial deal.
Mr Scott passed on information about treatment he gave to Stilian Petrov and other first-team players to the manufacturers of a treatment machine he was in negotiations to endorse.
He also admitted he had tried to persuade Celtic to buy one of the (pounds) 15,000 phy-back physiotherapy machines without telling his employer about his proposed deal with the company.
It emerged that Mr Scott had been in talks with the company to endorse the machine and that his accountant had suggested a (pounds) 25,000-a-year retainer plus 5% royalties on all sales.
Questioned by Mr McKenzie, Mr Scott admitted he had leaked the confidential information to Liz Kane, chairwoman of Biomedical Innovations, the UK distributor of the machine.
When asked by Mr McKenzie if he considered the release of the information to be a breach of trust, Mr Scott agreed.
''Yes, it was a breach of patient confidentiality. And it was also a breach of trust to the club. The information, yes it was confidential, but I understood it would remain confidential,'' he said.
Earlier in the week, it emerged that Celtic had not followed proper disciplinary procedures when dismissing Mr Scott. There were claims that Mr O'Neill sacked Mr Scott after he turned up for work drunk several times.
Roddy MacDonald, the club doctor, told the hearing that drinking was one of several complaints against Mr Scott. But Mr O'Neill stressed drunkenness was not an issue in relation to his sacking.
Mr Scott had broken down twice the previous day while giving evidence as he tried to describe the moment his 24 years with Celtic had ended. Michael McMillan, the tribunal chairman, adjourned the hearing as Mr Scott held his head in his hands and wept.
Mr Scott denied allegations of drunkenness at work while on a US tour with Celtic.

On Tuesday, Mr O'Neill said Mr Scott had held Celtic ''to ransom'' by threatening to write a book detailing personal information on players. He told the tribunal that Mr Scott had listened to players' tales of sexual activities while he treated their injuries.
Mr O'Neill claimed Mr Scott said he could earn (pounds) 250,00 by selling his story or by writing an book about his time at the club.

He said: ''He'd been there 24 years. He'd have plenty to write about. I felt we were being held to ransom if we didn't cough up.''

Sounds like there is no excuse for the police if they don't haul him in for questioning.

I don’t think that no matter how much compensation they have to pay out and no matter how many more of them get sentenced, that the football authorities in this country will take any action whatsoever against Celtic other than a statement about how unfortunate this has all been and how lessons have been learned and can we now all move on for the sake of Scottish football.

Last edited:
Currently showing now on the Victoria Derbyshire program about Bob Higgins. Looks like the clips they are showing are coming from a documentary. Have they been waiting on Higgins trial finishing to show this and is this part of the bigger story.
Hard to watch. Thoughts to all affected by this.

10th September 2004

And here we have the very Rod MacKenzie who was shouting at a meeting at Hamden that Rangers had cheated his team for years.
All the while he had no shame coming out with that whilst actually knowing kids had been abused at his club.
He was happy to pay Scott shut up money to protect his club. Rhat

Sounds like there is no excuse for the police if they don't haul him in for questioning.

The fact that Brian Scott had his silence bought to avoid further disclosure at his tribunal needs to be explored.
Explanation at time was he threatened to expose players sexual activities.

Would Celtic care about what players got up to being exposed or is there other sexual wrongdoings Brian Scott knew about which they wanted kept secret.

Brian Scott was at Celtic from 1980 to 2004. Unless he was deaf or turned a blind eye you would think he must have heard and seen what was happening.

Like all crimes it is often those on the periphery who are the ones when questioned eventually tell the story.

Have Police every questioned those who worked at Celtic Park during the 40 years of abuse either as witnesses or as accessories ?

Everyone from cleaners to tea ladies, scouts to bus drivers, players and coaches and ex-managers need questioned. Especially anyone involved at CBC.

In other words a proper police investigation.

McGinn and Kelly will maintain their silence, but there must be some who realise the evil and harm inflicted on innocent lives and are prepared to tell the truth, however late.

Their name grows more toxic with each passing day.

Sponsors will be taking a very close look at the existing contracts they have with
Celtic and I'd be more than a little surprised if quite a few of them don't go for the TERMINADO option at renewal time.

Reputational damage in business is a very difficult thing to overcome. Celtic have been stigmatised forever, and will always be associated with paedophilia and attempting to cover it up.

Especially when sponsors may have to contribute to any CSA compensation claims against the SFA (if I'm reading this correctly)

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/...abuse-in-scottish-football_interim-report.pdf

The Interim Report of the Independent Review of
Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football
15th June 2018

Commercial sponsorship
3.42 It is recognised that achieving the necessary improvements to safeguard young people cannot
be done without adequate funding (long term) which is ring-fenced and targeted.
3.43 The Independent Review is also very aware that Government funding (through sportscotland)
by far does not comprise the “lions share” of investment in the Scottish FA. The contribution of
sponsorship and commercial investment is considerably more substantial.
3.44 The Review however do not see a total distinction between safeguarding issues and commercial
investment and sponsorship – that somehow the commercial enterprise of today’s game is all about
“hard cash” (underpinning performance and sporting achievement) and therefore unrelated to other
vital aspects of delivering football and sustaining the sport in Scotland. Commercial thinking and
investment strategy needs to take account of this in attracting future investment and
dispersing/deploying funds.
3.45 In other words, there is an ethical dimension to investment and sponsorship that cannot and
should not be ignored - either by those within football engaged in attracting sponsorship and
investment or by potential or actual commercial sponsors themselves.
3.46 The Review takes a strong view that failure to improve the capacity of all of Scottish football to
protect and safeguard young people should have investment consequences. We are minded that
commercial investors should be alert to this. The Independent Review would urge all potential
investors to seriously consider these issues as part of examining investment conditions and ensure
that these are included in fulfilling their agenda for ethical and social responsibility.
3.47 Allegations of non-recent sexual abuse in Scottish football have scandalised the world of
football and the wider Scottish public. Confidence in the game and its organisation has
understandably been damaged. This will also not have escaped commercial sponsors. Efforts to
singularly and genuinely improve the protection and participation of young people may in part act to
restore public and commercial confidence. Without this the Review would question why commercial
sponsors would wish to invest in a game which has not proven itself dedicated and motivated to
protect its young players.
RECOMMENDATION 18
Commercial sponsors should be made alert to safeguarding issues and arrangements in the
Scottish FA, ANA's and Clubs as part of their ethical and social responsibility agenda concerning
investment and sponsorship.
As such any activity to attract sponsorship, investment and funding should factor in the efforts
and achievements of Scottish football in ensuring the protection and wellbeing of young people in
all aspects of the game to reinforce investor confidence.
Where possible commercial sponsorship should be sought for individual safeguarding projects or
initiatives within a clear framework of ethical investment in the game.

4.163 The Review remains determined to ensure that the experiences and sacrifices of those who
have come forward are not lost but, instead, are openly understood as forming part of the history of
football in our country. This may be an aspect of the legacy of the sport which many would want to
play down or move on from but the Review is firmly of the view that lessons identified should lead
to permanent positive change. The greatest memorial to the failures of the past is to ensure that
such events are not repeated. This issue will be evident more substantially in the Final Report of the
Independent Review when it is submitted and published.
4.164 However, the Review also finds that a more concrete response is required. To support people
who have experienced sexual abuse in Scottish football is an emphatic and constructive testimonial
to their experiences and a tangible way of making reparation. The Review concludes therefore that
Scottish football should consider how this can best be done including consideration of the creation
of a fund which might underwrite support and assistance for those who have been personally
affected by sexual abuse in Scottish football and indeed those in Scottish football who are
experiencing other mental health challenges and issues. The Review sees no reason why this might
not also be contributed to by commercial donation and sponsorship (see Recommendation 14).
RECOMMENDATION 94
The Independent Review recommends that the Scottish FA and clubs and organisations in Scottish
football consider the establishment of a permanent testimonial to the experiences of and impact
on those affected including consideration of the creation of a fund which might underwrite
support and assistance for those who have been personally affected by sexual abuse in Scottish
football and indeed those in Scottish football who are experiencing other mental health
challenges and issues. The Review sees no reason why this might not also be contributed to or
underwritten by commercial donation and sponsorship.

The joint FA and SFA cross border investigation into links between Bennell, Torbett/ McCafferty, Higgins, Ormond may throw up an even bigger scandal than the 6 beasts already convicted in Scotland

If more victims feel strong enough to report abuse then this scandal may drag out for some time to come

I still believe the police in England and Scotland should be driving any investigation as further criminal acts may be been committed and the footballing authorities may be best to stay out of the way

Given the SFA previous history on CSA I have zero trust they will do anything about the abuse

Back