Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

I followed up this morning, on my previous e-mails to all the sponsors and Terre des hommes, and added the Ruth Davidson and Prof Tomkins' letters. Terre des hommes is the first to respond. They wrote back ...

'Dear johnkp,

Thank you for this update.

My colleagues in Lausanne, who are leading on the Child Safeguarding initiative have been in touch with UEFA which will now be taking this matter forward. If you would like to liaise with UEFA directly, please do contact them at: childsafeguarding@uefa.ch

Once again, thank you for reaching out to bring this to our attention.

With all best regards,

__________'

I followed up this morning, on my previous e-mails to all the sponsors and Terre des hommes, and added the Ruth Davidson and Prof Tomkins' letters. Terre des hommes is the first to respond. They wrote back ...

'Dear johnkp,

My colleagues in Lausanne, who are leading on the Child Safeguarding initiative have been in touch with UEFA which will now be taking this matter forward. If you would like to liaise with UEFA directly, please do contact them at: childsafeguarding@uefa.ch

With all best regards,

__________'

Well done John.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ex-lawyer-faces-extradition-over-paedophile-network-59r5gjkxk

Interesting. Hallam QC tweet. Cant get the full article as its behind a paywall. Was this Fairbairn a fellow director with Torbett at the Fairbridge childrens home. ?

Ex-lawyer faces extradition over ‘paedophile network’
Marcello Mega
June 24 2019, 12:01am, The Times

Most of the suspects, including Sir Nicholas Fairbairn, QC, the former solicitor-general, are dead

WILLIAM H ALDEN/EVENING STANDARD/GETTY

Detectives investigating allegations of historical child sexual abuse have uncovered compelling evidence that a paedophile ring operated among senior Scottish lawyers in the 1970s.

The majority of the suspects, including Sir Nicholas Fairbairn, QC, the former solicitor-general, are dead, but extradition proceedings have begun to have a retired QC who lives abroad brought to Scotland to face charges.

Further allegations against two very senior retired lawyers who are still alive have been left on file by police so that they can be reopened should other victims emerge to corroborate the claims.

A five-year investigation by Police Scotland was begun in 2014 when Susan Henderson, 52, daughter of the late Robert Henderson, QC, told police that she had been repeatedly raped by her father, a flamboyant figure regarded as Scotland’s top QC in the late 1970s and 1980s, and a number of his friends in the legal profession, when she was aged three to 12. She has waived her right to anonymity.

Five of the men are dead. As well as Sir Nicholas, who died aged 61 in 1995, and her father, who died in 2012 at 75, Ms Henderson says she was abused by Sheriff Andrew Lothian, QC, and the advocates Raymond Fraser and Lawrence Nisbet.

Sir Nicholas was a Tory MP for Kinross & Western Perthshire. Later, as Scotland’s second most senior prosecutor, he would have taken decisions on the prosecution of other sex offenders.
Mr Lothian, who died aged 74 in July 2016, quit his post after it emerged that he was using prostitutes at an Edinburgh sauna. He was an alcoholic and was exposed as a wife-beater in 2001.

Despite testimony from his wife, Harriet, and their children, the Crown refused to prosecute him.
He continued to work as a judge, including dealing with other domestic abusers and sex offenders, until he was disgraced by the sauna revelations and forced to quit towards the end of 2008.

Mr Fraser, also an alcoholic, died of cancer aged 55 in 2002. He was disciplined numerous times by the Faculty of Advocates for his conduct, which included being charged with shoplifting.

Mr Nisbet, a noted hedonist, had a heart attack and died at 45 in 1993.

Two detectives visited Ms Henderson at her home in the north of Scotland last week to brief her on the outcome of their investigation. They reassured her that had the five dead men been alive they would have been charged.

Evidence against them included information from other sources that corroborated her claims. This has been underlined by a decision by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) to make the maximum award of £22,000 to Ms Henderson as a victim of sexual crimes.

Ms Henderson, a carer and mother of one, said last night: “It is an enormous relief to know that my story has been placed under rigorous scrutiny and I have been believed. The award by CICA is important because it emphasises that I have been telling the truth for years, but I am still looking for justice.”

She said she was glad that the police intended to pursue one of her alleged abusers, even though he lived abroad.

She added that she was disappointed the two other men who were alive were not being pursued but hoped that other victims would come forward.

The Crown Office confirmed that the case against one man was active but declined to comment further.

v

'Dear johnkp,

With all best regards,

__________'
Remember they have powerful allies in Uefa, in the shape of the FAI, cover your great work on this brother.

There are so many horror stories coming to light now regards paedophilia among people in high places who are possibly still living and many who are dead that you begin to wonder how depraved this Country is . Has there been “ high society “ perverts from the past with involvement to the Boy’s Club that it has become much bigger than we realised ? Is this one of the reasons why nothing seems to be happening and Liewell is doing best to stretch it out in the hope it will all go away but I doff my hat to all FFs who have put in so much time and effort to try and get justice for Andrew Gray’s Mum and all the other victims and Thanks to the Tory MPs who are bringing this to light . Unfortunately there does not seem to be anything to thank the SNP for but maybe they have a lot to hide as well , let’s hope they prove me wrong and they find the courage to demand justice for all the victims because that’s what they are there for surely .

There are so many horror stories coming to light now regards paedophilia among people in high places who are possibly still living and many who are dead that you begin to wonder how depraved this Country is . Has there been “ high society “ perverts from the past with involvement to the Boy’s Club that it has become much bigger than we realised ? Is this one of the reasons why nothing seems to be happening and Liewell is doing best to stretch it out in the hope it will all go away but I doff my hat to all FFs who have put in so much time and effort to try and get justice for Andrew Gray’s Mum and all the other victims and Thanks to the Tory MPs who are bringing this to light . Unfortunately there does not seem to be anything to thank the SNP for but maybe they have a lot to hide as well , let’s hope they prove me wrong and they find the courage to demand justice for all the victims because that’s what they are there for surely .

I think we will all learn how to platt sawdust before the SNP get involved.They know, but it's just a matter of how much they know.

I think we will all learn how to platt sawdust before the SNP get involved.They know, but it's just a matter of how much they know.
Completely agree mate. I just hope when this issue all comes out then it will be the cause of their downfall.
Their silence on this to me just proves they only care about one thing and that’s votes. And then I read earlier that she is going to tackle child poverty in Scotland? How’s about also tackling the issue of child abuse at a certain football club.
We could start with a public inquiry maybe?

Just watched a program on BBC I player called roll Red roll about American High school football team players raping an underage girl. It was all hushed up cos the football team in Steubenville Ohio was the most important thing in the town, the victim simply didn't matter. It took an investigative journalist (like daly) to expose this and it snowballed. Eventually the guys were jailed. But at the end it tells you that the police also went after those who knew and covered it up for the good of the team and they were also jailed retrospectively. A lot of similarities - if only one brave and honest and moral journalist would link the dots, a lot of guilty men would be shittin themselves right now.

Completely agree mate. I just hope when this issue all comes out then it will be the cause of their downfall.
Their silence on this to me just proves they only care about one thing and that’s votes. And then I read earlier that she is going to tackle child poverty in Scotland? How’s about also tackling the issue of child abuse at a certain football club.
We could start with a public inquiry maybe?

Yes let’s put child poverty before the child’s bloody safety & security.

She’s a dangerous wee mouthpiece mate. :mad:

Can't help but think we are being given a lesson on power,Power by R.C.s and fhilth supporters in influential places in politics and the media to keep this quite and not give it the position of importance it deserves,
This is no secret anymore every politician and editor is well aware of the peadophile history of the fhilth,
What has to worry decent people in Scotland now is the moral integrity of individuals who run the country and where in the list of criminal activities child abuse sits,
Seems to be pretty low and the fhilths reputation must be protected.

Can't help but think we are being given a lesson on power,Power by R.C.s and fhilth supporters in influential places in politics and the media to keep this quite and not give it the position of importance it deserves,
This is no secret anymore every politician and editor is well aware of the peadophile history of the fhilth,
What has to worry decent people in Scotland now is the moral integrity of individuals who run the country and where in the list of criminal activities child abuse sits,

I totally see where you are coming from and your frustration. However, the kind of evil that Celtic is guilty of can not be held in forever. Look at US Gymnastics, Penn State, and the Boston RC. The longer an organization tries to keep that stuff inside the more damage it will do. The stench of it scared of Brendon Rogers and is why they ended up with that stupid carrot as their manager. It looks like DD wants out before the shit hits the fan. Winter is coming for them.

The " missing " evidence in both the Rangers effigies and Salmond trials, the continuing farce regarding the convict McGarry, and that's Scotland just under Devolution. Imagine the endemic corruption if the country was independent ?

I seem to remember that Fairbairn (ironic name) being in some way implicated in the Moira Jones case. Can’t mind the details but there was some connection to the paedo bus driver and his ring of associates.

Got this response from Brian Whittle MSP
Waiting on a few others

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns surrounding historical child abuse within Scottish football.

The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing, and while it is welcome that Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider. Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought where necessary.

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose. The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this.

Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Whittle MSP

Waiting on a few others

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns surrounding historical child abuse within Scottish football.

The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing, and while it is welcome that Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider. Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought where necessary.

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose.

The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this.

Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club.

What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Whittle MSP

That's word for word what Ruth Davison wrote in her reply last week, is it not?

Waiting on a few others

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose. The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this.

Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Whittle MSP

Great job Fraser. The crucial words seem to be very similar to Davidson’s note to our guys.

It’s really encouraging that this is now becoming a consistent position of the opposition party.

Last edited:
Speaking to a contact at one of the major UK insurers today and he tells me that the claims are not being directed to Celtic’s insurers but the league insurers (SPL he said) who have a public liability policy where cover extends to child abuse.
I am not sure how significant this is as he also said he would expect any insurer to challenge claims where there was awareness or knowledge which wasn’t notified on a timely basis regardless who held the policy but this might explain why the SFA/SPFL have been very quiet.
Maybe someone should start asking Doncaster some difficult questions.

Email back from UEFA

Thank you for sharing your concern and the information on child abuse within Scottish Football.

Please note that we have shared your allegations with the Scottish Football Association.
We fully trust in the capacity of the Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Authorities to deal with this situation.

All our best regards

Iris

Iris Hugo-Bouvier
Football and Social Responsibility Coordinator

Email back from UEFA

Thank you for sharing your concern and the information on child abuse within Scottish Football.

Please note that we have shared your allegations with the Scottish Football Association.
We fully trust in the capacity of the Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Authorities to deal with this situation.

All our best regards

Iris

Iris Hugo-Bouvier

Who is she Nacho ?

Edit - Sorry, missed the UEFA bit at the top mate.

Last edited:
Waiting on a few others

Yours sincerely,

Brian Whittle MSP
Exact same reply as Ruth Davidson. Standard reply but says it all. Well done Fraser

Email back from UEFA

All our best regards

Iris

Iris Hugo-Bouvier
Well done mate. However I think she needs enlightened that the SFA hierarchy were actually involved in the cover up.

I totally see where you are coming from and your frustration. However, the kind of evil that Celtic is guilty of can not be held in forever. Look at US Gymnastics, Penn State, and the Boston RC. The longer an organization tries to keep that stuff inside the more damage it will do. The stench of it scared of Brendon Rogers and is why they ended up with that stupid carrot as their manager. It looks like DD wants out before the shit hits the fan. Winter is coming for them.
I'm hoping your right but the way Scotland is today I'm not so sure,
To borrow an expression of yours there's a stench about the place.

Speaking to a contact at one of the major UK insurers today and he tells me that the claims are not being directed to Celtic’s insurers but the league insurers (SPL he said) who have a public liability policy where cover extends to child abuse.
I am not sure how significant this is as he also said he would expect any insurer to challenge claims where there was awareness or knowledge which wasn’t notified on a timely basis regardless who held the policy but this might explain why the SFA/SPFL have been very quiet.
Thats understandable, but I would think that if it was an innocent thing on the part of the company CFC/CBC and they reported it to the authorities straight away then they would be covered,.
The fact that all these people knew and did nothing about it they never reported it to the authorities, and in fact covered it up and allowed it to continue and fester by reinstating Torbett back in allowing him to perpetrate more disgusting acts against other children, and the Cairney cover up, the insurers will not pay up because of this.

Thats understandable, but I would think that if it was an innocent thing on the part of the company CFC/CBC and they reported it to the authorities straight away then they would be covered,.
The fact that all these people knew and did nothing about it they never reported it to the authorities, and in fact covered it up and allowed it to continue and fester by reinstating Torbett back in allowing him to perpetrate more disgusting acts against other children, and the Cairney cover up, the insurers will not pay up because of this.
The SFA insurance would only pay for the SFA's liability. It is not going to pay for Celtic's damages.

Therefore it will be directed at the insurers of the Scottish Football League and The Scottish Premier League, neither of which exist any more.
The claims are being directed there by whom?
The victims’ lawyers or redirected by Celtic?

I'm not sure who may be at fault here. The rules state that clubs must act with "utmost good faith" at all times, and are also prohibited from "bringing the game into disrepute."
This would initially point the finger at Celtc. Did Celtc for instance advise the SFA that they investigated abuse complaints in the 90's and found the allegations scurrilous?
Did they advise them of abuse allegations during a tour of USA, and their part in sending officials and lawyers there to coerce the child and his parents into silence?
Did they advise the SFA why Big Jock kicked Torbett out of Parkhead?
Did they inform the SFA of their recent 2 year internal investigation into further allegations of abuse?
There are these and dozens more instances where Celtc should have informed SFA/SPL/SPFL, of serious allegations spanning decades. Determining the degree of information provided to the authorities regarding these matters will identify who is/are the guilty party/parties.
It may be that the choice facing Celtc and SFA/SPFL is whether to hang together or separately.

Last edited:
Therefore it will be directed at the insurers of the Scottish Football League and The Scottish Premier League, neither of which exist any more.
I don’t know but I was told that this type of cover is expensive and not normally taken out by companies but mainly by large sporting institutions where there is a large exposure to child welfare issues. The same insurance company covered the English league.
Maybe Celtic’s insurance won’t cover this so they have referred it to the league who do have such cover.
Not sure that it matters that the SPL no longer exists if there was a valid policy operating for the period in question.
All the information in the public domain about Celtic’s awareness over many years will probably invalidate the insurance anyway

Loss adjusters at any of these insurers will simply rip any claim to shreds. They will not pay out millions on any child abuse, especially as it's been proven that most of the abuse was historical and covered up.

Just checked the Companies House website. The Company Number of both the old SPL and the current SPFL (SC175364) is unchanged.

I'm no expert, but I'd say they are the same company, just re-named.

THE SCOTTISH PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE LIMITED
Company Number

SC175364

Registered office address
Hampden Park, Glasgow, G42 9DE

Company status
Active

Company type
Private limited Company

Incorporated on
13 May 1997

Accounts
Next accounts made up to 31 May 2019 - due by 29 February 2020

Last accounts made up to 31 May 2018

Confirmation statement
Next statement date 13 May 2020 - due by 27 May 2020

Last statement dated 13 May 2019

Nature of business
82990 - Other business support service activities not elsewhere classified

Previous company names
THE SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE LIMITED
09 Apr 1998 - 05 Jul 2013

DUNWILCO (597) LIMITED
13 May 1997 - 09 Apr 1998

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC175364

THE SCOTTISH PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE LIMITED
Company Number

SC175364

Registered office address
Hampden Park, Glasgow, G42 9DE

Company status
Active

Company type
Private limited Company

Incorporated on
13 May 1997

Accounts
Next accounts made up to 31 May 2019 - due by 29 February 2020

Last accounts made up to 31 May 2018

Confirmation statement
Next statement date 13 May 2020 - due by 27 May 2020

Last statement dated 13 May 2019

Nature of business
82990 - Other business support service activities not elsewhere classified

Previous company names
THE SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE LIMITED
09 Apr 1998 - 05 Jul 2013

DUNWILCO (597) LIMITED
13 May 1997 - 09 Apr 1998

Just checked the Companies House website - the old SPL and the current SPFL has the same Company Number. I'm no expert, but I'd say they are the same company, just re-named.
at the time it was made out as a merger, but in reality it was a takeover by the SPL.

We all know the SPFL is run by a cabal headed by Liewell and his lackey's, they will no doubt try to help their club of choice in all this. However there are many more clubs not in tune with the cabal, this is where our club should be active garnering support to oppose, anything that looks like blind backing of the scum and their troublesome abuse history.

One issue with first part. SPL didnt exist when these crimes happen Secondly find it unlikely that any league would bear the brunt of paying insurance that covers another company. Makes no sense at all to me.

I'm not sure who may be at fault here. The rules state that clubs must act with "utmost good faith" at all times, and are also prohibited from "bringing the game into disrepute."
This would initially point the finger at Celtc. Did Celtc for instance advise the SFA that they investigated abuse complaints in the 90's and found the allegations scurrilous?
Did they advise them of abuse allegations during a tour of USA, and their part in sending officials and lawyers there to coerce the child and his parents into silence?
Did they advise the SFA why Big Jock kicked Torbett out of Parkhead?
Did they inform the SFA of their recent 2 year internal investigation into further allegations of abuse?
There are these and dozens more instances where Celtc should have informed SFA/SPL/SPFL, of serious allegations spanning decades. Determining the degree of information provided to the authorities regarding these matters will identify who is/are the guilty party/parties.
It may be that the choice facing Celtc and SFA/SPFL is whether to hang together or separately.

It would also seem apparent that Celtc didn't inform the police - (at least in every instance)

Surely not informing the police - when you are aware of a crime being committed - is also an offence in itself

I know police have been involved in the prosecution of those already brought to trial - but I've long since wondered where they are in the cover-up process that's taken place & why they haven't taken investigations into Celtc further ?

Great post - by the way

EDIT - Of course the SFA are also obliged to inform the police

One issue with first part. SPL didnt exist when these crimes happen Secondly find it unlikely that any league would bear the brunt of paying insurance that covers another company. Makes no sense at all to me.
The guy who told me is English and would not appreciate the various changes in league bodies. As far as he is concerned it is the Scottish league body which holds the insurance policy.He referred to it as SPL.
Sorry it doesn’t make sense to you but based on my experience of the guy who told me I would be 99% sure it is accurate. It is not unusual for umbrella policies to cover other companies in a group or in this case members of an organisation.

Email back from UEFA

All our best regards

Iris

Iris Hugo-Bouvier

Cop out. Email back and explain that they have been unable to deal with the "allegations" for best part of 30 years, so you do not share her confidence and would like to enquire as to whether UEFA condone the sexual abuse of children by an organisation participating in their premier competition?

It would also seem apparent that Celtc didn't inform the police - (at least in every instance)

Surely not informing the police - when you are aware of a crime being committed - is also an offence in itself

I know police have been involved in the prosecution of those already brought to trial - but I've long since wondered where they are in the cover-up process that's taken place & why they haven't taken investigations into Celtc further ?

Great post - by the way

EDIT - Of course the SFA are also obliged to inform the police

Of course it is, esp when you pay people to stay schtuum, to hide said offences. It’s called Attempting To Pervert The Course Of Justice.

Just watched a program on BBC I player called roll Red roll about American High school football team players raping an underage girl. It was all hushed up cos the football team in Steubenville Ohio was the most important thing in the town, the victim simply didn't matter. It took an investigative journalist (like daly) to expose this and it snowballed. Eventually the guys were jailed. But at the end it tells you that the police also went after those who knew and covered it up for the good of the team and they were also jailed retrospectively. A lot of similarities - if only one brave and honest and moral journalist would link the dots, a lot of guilty men would be shittin themselves right now.
That must be a very difficult watch.

'Dear johnkp,

With all best regards,

__________'
Excellent work, mate.

Who’s your contact?

Back