Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Have you seen The Complete Rangers Results spreadsheet before? A mine of information. An amazing piece of workmanship. Not saying to the same length and depth but having separate tabs for each year from 1965. Then any photographs and articles we know that are in the domain inputed and uploaded. Both the accusation types and also the ones that stinks to high heaven. The fact there are photographs of both Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris as guests at Parkhead on separate occasions. It is no coincidence that the UK's biggest paedos circled the home of the biggest paedo scandal in UK's sport history.

Those photographs are spinetingling and bring awareness and needs investigated. What else went on where there were no photographs taken. Who else circled the cesspit and are not yet under the radar? In my opinion this goes deeper and deeper and far bigger.

A timeline of all events stating facts.

When you think about it Priests with a high percentage of paedos were circling the place too. God? Jesus? In the name of? Fúck me what a sick set up surrounding us all.

Last edited:
I think that there a quite a few guys on here now that are giving much of their spare time with emails etc to Sponsors and Partners of this rancid organization called Celtic Football Club. Hopefully the more they get at some point they will act on it. We need to keep this pressure up on them for the next few months when hopefully that documentary will be shown Sept/Oct time.

All of us on here believe that CBC and CFC were inextricably linked. But having that belief and proving the link in court are two different things. CFC obviously believe that they can win an argument that they were not. Lawyer's for the victims will have to move very cautiously, carefully and systematically in order to build a robust case that they were. That takes time.

And there's the rub. What you know and what you can prove are two entirely different things.

Celtic genuinely believe they can tough this out and win it.

I know people here raised the issue. A newspaper was going to run the story but it did not. Kind of a mystery.
I’ve stated the LSE situation to a few MP’s that I’ve contacted. I agree Indiana it’s a bit of a mystery. I’m guessing maybe it would be a confidential investigation due to the shareholders. Maybe someone else could explain how it works.
The reason I’ve mentioned it in my emails is to put it in the spotlight. Remember that Celtic stated openly they carried out a 2 year internal investigation. (Or as we would put it. Attempts to cover their tracks) The reason imo hollicom have now been employed.
They have committed crimes with the convictions. It’s been proved the separate entity claim is untrue. Maybe not proved legally at this stage but there has been enough information to say that.
More and more evidence is being gathered. Headlines are coming out now nearly everyday against that club. Sponsors are being contacted. Not only for an opinion but to show them facts. In England heads are being turned onto the subject. Myself and another poster on here live in England. We not only spread the word, we also contact English MP’s for their view.
Another issue that I’ve had recently is a certain poster telling me I’m completely wasting my time contacting the wrong MP’s in Westminster. You know who you are and you’ve been challenged a few times by people who have been active. All I can say to you is there is no such thing as contacting the wrong MP. Especially in England. These are elected people who serve their constituents. Unlike the SNP.
Apologies Indiana for bringing it up on your post. Your efforts and posts are excellent and you are well respected by myself and others.

And I'd suggest you get your facts correct before emailing intelligent people and making yourself look foolish.
Your the one looking foolish. It’s been said more than once. Now I’m starting to think differently about you. You come on here and pick points with everyone.
I’m in contact with victims and families. And your not helping. Please feel free to pm me.
You sound like an angry young man and we don’t need that on this thread.

If anyone can supply a list of email addresses for the following,i'd be gratefull.

Hugh keevins
Roger hannah
Mark guidi
David provan
Frank mc avennie
Graham speirs

And anyone i've missed.

Cheers in advance
I posted keevins email address the other day. Hope it is correct. Got it from a good friend who works in PR. She says the vultures are circling the wagons but are way too scared to print material which may harm their careers in the fullness of time whether right or wrong. Keep up the sterling work. One day the victims will get justice and the truth will come to the fore

I posted keevins email address the other day. Hope it is correct. Got it from a good friend who works in PR. She says the vultures are circling the wagons but are way too scared to print material which may harm their careers in the fullness of time whether right or wrong. Keep up the sterling work. One day the victims will get justice and the truth will come to the fore
Tried my hardest with SSB. Protected by hollicom reference the people who are involved
Where did you post it? A friend in PR? Not doubting you. I must have missed it?

How do compensation claims work in court ? Is it decided by a judge or a jury about who is culpable and for how much ?
We saw how a Scottish court can be corrupted in the most disgraceful manner when Whyte walked free. If it’s down to the general public, then the victims might as well walk away now.

Please share this thread on as many social media platforms as you's can, the more people that know about the historic abuse that took place within Celtic will hopefully bring more victims to step forward and provide more information for Patrick McGuire.

The main aim here and end game is to get justice for the victims.

I think that there a quite a few guys on here now that are giving much of their spare time with emails etc to Sponsors and Partners of this rancid organization called Celtic Football Club. Hopefully the more they get at some point they will act on it. We need to keep this pressure up on them for the next few months when hopefully that documentary will be shown Sept/Oct time.
I told a guy through pm but haven't on here but I'm sitting in night-shift and it's dead at the minute and I send about 20 emails a night lol. Really hope it's worth it for the families

Please share this thread on as many social media platforms as you's can, the more people that know about the historic abuse that took place within Celtic will hopefully bring more victims to step forward and provide more information for Patrick McGuire.

Strange I put up art work in the form of a political cartoon a week ago to this very cause, only for it to be tore to shreds on here and removed. Funny thing is on various other rangers forums it has been seen as a powerful statement and straight to the point. Shame as I originally done the work for on here only.

Strange I put up art work in the form of a political cartoon a week ago to this very cause, only for it to be tore to shreds on here and removed. Funny thing is on various other rangers forums it has been seen as a powerful statement and straight to the point. Shame as I originally done the work for on here only.

I'd create a fake or spare account on Twitter and post it there so everyone can re-tweet it mate. No one can stop you on there.

Victims and families are priority. That goes without saying. Please in any way you can do what nacho has said above.
Everyone of us on here hate Celtic. Of course we do. We’re Rangers. But I’d like people to understand this one thing without sounding patronising.
And I’ve said it before. Young boys went to play for the club they loved. Proud to pull on that Celtic jersey. The same way we would if it was us. They loved their club the same way we do. As harsh as it sounds,they were abused. To the extent of convicted beasts taking them to England to be further abused. It’s called a ring.
No matter what justice the families and victims receive it will never be enough. It will never heal wounds.
But a football club in our country has covered this up. Let me take you back to the McNeil and open secret issue. It has gone on for years. Even before I was born and I’m 46 years old.
We have a government in Scotland that are under qualified and corrupt to the core for their own aim of independence. A government that openly ignores and stands against Scottish unionists.
Celtic Football Club are guilty. Celtic loving families know they are guilty who have suffered from the separate entity issue.
A justice secretary that is unfit for purpose and should be removed from office and not only on this issue. No justice secretary in a democratic country loses evidence. But humza has managed to do that and is still in office. We all want to live in a society where criminals are brought to justice.
Celtic Football Club need to be brought to justice. They know. And justice needs to be served on them.

Found this on FB
It's getting publicity elsewhere now

No matter what justice the families and victims receive it will never be enough. It will never heal wounds.
But a football club in our country has covered this up. Let me take you back to the McNeil and open secret issue. It has gone on for years. Even before I was born and I’m 46 years old.

Again, factually incorrect.

There is no record in existence of McNeil ever having said that it was an open secret. None.

Hugh Birt may have said it, but McNeil certainly never.

Think it's been done mate was early doors though might be worth another shot

Yes I recall it being discussed mate.

I was thinking about a thread being posted that is offering advice to victims that have still to come forward and speak out?

Heading could be something asking the lines of:

Advice for the countless victims yet to come forward in the Scottish Football Child Abuse Scandal.

Maybe include a few links that would take Mumsnet posters to a site outlining the scandal. But the OP is based on reaching out to the victims and offering advice.... details of Thomson's Solicitors, contact numbers, Twitter contacts for the Gray family etc. MP's responses could also be linked.

Could be more acceptable to the Mumsnet admin mate?

They can't all be Tim's surely?

There is no record in existence of McNeil ever having said that it was an open secret. None.

You cannot prove he didn't say it though Sam. He was accused of saying it, he may have been misquoted but it's entirely plausible that he said it.... we've all been saying it for years.

You cannot prove he didn't say it though Sam. He was accused of saying it, he may have been misquoted but it's entirely plausible that he said it.... we've all been saying it for years.

And that's the problem. It's an urban myth. I believed it myself once upon a time - then I did my homework.

Some will tell you he said it under oath, and yet McNeil was never called as a witness.

Others will quote newspaper dates where he allegedly said it, again, I've gone over the Mitchell Archives with a fine tooth comb and there's nothing - not a single shred of evidence to back this up.

I know I'm an obstinate bastard, but I like to get the facts right.

Last edited:
There may only be anecdotal evidence that he said it.

Perhaps we should be looking at who claimed he said it, i.e. others may have quoted him?

Hugh Birt? Have you met the man? I can introduce you to someone on here who has. Like I said we could talk on pm. Completely up to you. A decent man. Unlike a few. Not a bigot.
Now let’s get this straight. You’ve obviously got a problem with me and a few others. There are certain people who are telling me what you are and I’ve gave you the benefit of the doubt. There are also others on here that have put yourself on their ignore option. I won’t do that to you. I accept the challenge of lurkers. You disagree with facts looking at your history. I also believe that you have came on here under a different alias(that means name).
You like to use the statement of factually incorrect. I know a whole lot more than you. I know people who have spoken to McNeil personally. I also know what misquoted means.
So I’m going to put this to you. You are on this thread looking for trouble. You’ve done it for a long time now. Not only on this thread. Have you ever heard of a street named kerryfail. Or kerrydail. Can’t remember what they call it nowadays. Your not even worth reporting like others have. I’m actually concerned about you if you are one of us. Whether you’ve got a drink or drug problem or something? There’s a fantastic and respected thread in the lounge that may be able to help you.
I’m also guessing your quoting the archive of Mitchell? Am I right? This will be my last reply to you. Your not worth it and your a disgrace to this thread. I wish you happiness in your further pursuits in life.

And that's the problem. It's an urban myth. I believed it myself once upon a time. Then I did my homework.

Some will tell you he said it under oath, and yet McNeil was never called as a witness.

Others will quote newspaper dates where he allegedly said it, again, I've gone over the Mitchell Archives with a fine tooth comb and there's nothing - not a single shred of evidence to back this up.

I know I'm an obstinate bastard, but I like to get the facts right.

See during that fine tooth comb mega deep look you did. Any chance you found anything remotely helpful?

There may only be anecdotal evidence that he said it.

Perhaps we should be looking at who claimed he said it, i.e. others may have quoted him?

I've put huge time and effort into this, been to The Mitchell on several occasions desperately hoping to pin this on him and put it to bed once and for all. Unfortunately I cannot.

McNeil never said it was an open secret. However, people believe only what they want to believe.

Last edited:
See during that fine tooth comb mega deep look you did. Any chance you found anything remotely helpful?

Yes, a lot of those pics you see on Google Images were taken by me and posted on here and Rangers Media.

The ones with Torbett and the weans in his apartment and Burns shaking hands with Cairney are two that immediately spring to mind.

Dear Bluenose 94,

I have no problem whatsover with you or anyone else on here. We're all fighting for the same cause.

But if people would learn to spell Tomkins name right, not confuse Hugh Birt with John Cullen, and stop attributing the words " open secret " to McNeil, then we could all join hands and sing Kumbaya My Lord.

Last edited:
That is your opinion - not fact.

Did you come across the anecdotal quotes?

I believe it to be plausible that countless celtc employees stated at some point : it's an open secret.

So why not McNeil?

Give over mate.

No one wanted it to be true more than me. But it's a popular misconception.

Give over mate.

No one wanted it to be true more than me. But it's a popular misconception.

Never mate.

Again - your opinion Sam. I'll leave you with it. But I see absolutely no problem in speculating what those in power at the piggery were saying to each other.... the whole of the West of Scotland has been saying it for nearly half a century.

Never surrender. ;)

Celtic inquiry ‘has failed to contact victims’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-inquiry-has-failed-to-contact-victims-nkl850cnj

Celtic FC has failed to contact survivors of systemic sexual abuse at its feeder club despite launching its own investigation into the scandal two years ago, a senior lawyer has claimed.
Last month Peter Lawwell, the club’s chief executive, announced club insurers had appointed a “wholly independent and experienced lawyer” to delve into the evidence of child abuse at Celtic Boys Club that has led to four former coaches being jailed.

In a statement he said: “We respect any claimants’ rights and out advisers will communicate with them and their representatives directly in the proper manner, respecting their rights to confidentiality.”
However, Thompsons Solicitors, which is pursuing compensation claims against Celtic FC on behalf of dozens of abuse survivors, insist the club has made no effort to reach out to them.

Patrick McGuire, a partner at the firm, claimed it raised serious doubts about the internal inquiry.
He said: “It has been over six weeks since Celtic announced that they have been undertaking a highly confidential investigation into abuse claims for two years.
“So highly confidential was the investigation that not one of my clients had been approached at any point during the previous two years to provide any information to those undertaking the investigation. That remains the case”.
He questioned whether the investigation was a genuine attempt to get to the truth or “simply a bean counting exercise to evaluate the insurance risk”.
“Or worse of all, was the announcement an exercise of cynical spin dreamed up by a PR company?” he said.
“The survivors demands for financial justice will not go away and Celtic have many more questions to answer.”
James Kelly, Scottish Labour’s football spokesman, called on Celtic to publish the findings of its probe.
“It’s very disappointing that the lack of clarity and transparency around the investigation to date has only added to the frustrations of those affected,” he said.
“It would clearly be in the best interests of all to make public the findings of the investigations so far.”
Four men who held senior roles with boys club have been convicted for abusing dozens of children over three decades.
While expressing “regret and sorrow”, Celtic FC insists the boy’ club is an entirely separate organisation.
In his statement made last month, Mr Lawwell indicated he felt criticism of the club was “unfair and misguided”.
He said: “The first misconception is that the club is doing nothing and abdicating responsibility. That is simply not true.”
“Some time ago our insurers appointed a wholly independent and experienced lawyer who is investigating and dealing with this matter on behalf of the club.”
Mr Lawwell added: “While we recognise that this issue is in the public domain we do not consider that means that we should deal with the matter through the media, but rather through the legal system.
“We would stress that we regret that the incidents took place and reiterate our sympathy for all victims who suffered abuse. We are following legal advice and respecting an ongoing process.
“The matter continues to receive our full attention and that we take all our obligations, including legal, very seriously.”
Earlier this week Ruth Davidson joined Scottish Labour and the Scottish Liberal Democrats in calling for an independent inquiry into the scandal.
The Scottish government is awaiting the publication of a report commissioned by the Scottish FA into historical sexual abuse.
Celtic FC did not respond to a request for comment.
What is Celtic Boys Club?
Celtic Boys Club (CBC) was formed in Glasgow in 1966. Initially it was run totally independently from Celtic FC. However, the Celtic FC scout John Higgins brokered a “semi-formal arrangement” whereby the boys’ club would act as a nursery for young players with talent.
Were concerns about abuse at the boys club raised in the past?
Celtic FC began an internal inquiry in 1986 after media reports raised serious concerns about the welfare of young players. It then issued a statement which said: “The Celtic board investigated the rumours and interviewed the men concerned in depth and could find nothing to substantiate the stories.”
Has legal action been taken?
In February this year, Frank Cairney, 83, who was appointed CBC’s general manager in 1970, was convicted of nine charges of sexually abusing young footballers and began a four-year sentence. In May, Jim McCafferty, 73, who also worked for CBC, admitted 12 charges related to child sex abuse and was jailed. Four months earlier Gerald King, 66, one-time chairman of Celtic Boys Club, was convicted of sexually abusing four boys and a girl. Jim Torbett, 71, who helped to found Celtic Boys Club, was jailed for six years last November for abusing young players.
What do abuse survivors want?
Individuals who were molested and their representatives want Celtic FC to accept responsibility and apologise for the abuse within CBC that took place over three decades. Many want it to offer compensation.
What is Celtic FC’s position?
It insists it is not legally culpable for the abuse, describing the boys club as an “entirely separate organisation” with which they had “historic contacts”. It denies CBC was its “feeder club”.
Is CBC a completely separate organisation from CFC?
Celtic FC strongly insist it is. CBC had its own independent constitution, officers and rules. But on CBC’s archived website it describes itself as “the only official Celtic Boys Club”.
Man City leads way in redress
Manchester City is poised to offer millions of pounds in compensation to victims of historical child sexual abuse in a move that Celtic has been urged to emulate.
Under a redress scheme, survivors of the most serious crimes will receive six-figure sums in damages. A senior club official will also make a personal apology to each of the people affected.
The English champions are aware of 40 potential claimants.
Last year Barry Bennell, a former youth coach, was convicted of 43 charges relating to 12 former junior players between 1979 and 1990 during his time working for City and Crewe Alexandra. He was jailed for 31 years.
Another 86 people have since come forward to make complaints against him. Nine more make allegations against a second man from the club’s 1960s youth set-up, John Broome. He is now dead and no links with Bennell have been established.
Victims have been told the scheme may be a preferable alternative to pursuing a civil claim through the courts and should be processed within six to seven weeks.
Manchester City began an independent inquiry into one of the most serious scandals in English football history in November 2016 after Andy Woodward, a former professional footballer, revealed he had been abused by Bennell and encouraged others to come forward.
The review, led by Jane Mulcahy, QC, is yet to conclude but it is understood the club believes that victims should not be made to wait for compensation.

Celtic FC has failed to contact survivors of systemic sexual abuse at its feeder club despite launching its own investigation into the scandal two years ago, a senior lawyer has claimed.
Last month Peter Lawwell, the club’s chief executive, announced club insurers had appointed a “wholly independent and experienced lawyer” to delve into the evidence of child abuse at Celtic Boys Club that has led to four former coaches being jailed.

In a statement he said: “We respect any claimants’ rights and out advisers will communicate with them and their representatives directly in the proper manner, respecting their rights to confidentiality.”
However, Thompsons Solicitors, which is pursuing compensation claims against Celtic FC on behalf of dozens of abuse survivors, insist the club has made no effort to reach out to them.

Patrick McGuire, a partner at the firm, claimed it raised serious doubts about the internal inquiry.
He said: “It has been over six weeks since Celtic announced that they have been undertaking a highly confidential investigation into abuse claims for two years.
“So highly confidential was the investigation that not one of my clients had been approached at any point during the previous two years to provide any information to those undertaking the investigation. That remains the case”.
He questioned whether the investigation was a genuine attempt to get to the truth or “simply a bean counting exercise to evaluate the insurance risk”.
“Or worse of all, was the announcement an exercise of cynical spin dreamed up by a PR company?” he said.
“The survivors demands for financial justice will not go away and Celtic have many more questions to answer.”
James Kelly, Scottish Labour’s football spokesman, called on Celtic to publish the findings of its probe.
“It’s very disappointing that the lack of clarity and transparency around the investigation to date has only added to the frustrations of those affected,” he said.
“It would clearly be in the best interests of all to make public the findings of the investigations so far.”
Four men who held senior roles with boys club have been convicted for abusing dozens of children over three decades.
While expressing “regret and sorrow”, Celtic FC insists the boy’ club is an entirely separate organisation.
In his statement made last month, Mr Lawwell indicated he felt criticism of the club was “unfair and misguided”.
He said: “The first misconception is that the club is doing nothing and abdicating responsibility. That is simply not true.”
“Some time ago our insurers appointed a wholly independent and experienced lawyer who is investigating and dealing with this matter on behalf of the club.”
Mr Lawwell added: “While we recognise that this issue is in the public domain we do not consider that means that we should deal with the matter through the media, but rather through the legal system.
“We would stress that we regret that the incidents took place and reiterate our sympathy for all victims who suffered abuse. We are following legal advice and respecting an ongoing process.
“The matter continues to receive our full attention and that we take all our obligations, including legal, very seriously.”
Earlier this week Ruth Davidson joined Scottish Labour and the Scottish Liberal Democrats in calling for an independent inquiry into the scandal.
The Scottish government is awaiting the publication of a report commissioned by the Scottish FA into historical sexual abuse.
Celtic FC did not respond to a request for comment.
What is Celtic Boys Club?
Celtic Boys Club (CBC) was formed in Glasgow in 1966. Initially it was run totally independently from Celtic FC. However, the Celtic FC scout John Higgins brokered a “semi-formal arrangement” whereby the boys’ club would act as a nursery for young players with talent.
Were concerns about abuse at the boys club raised in the past?
Celtic FC began an internal inquiry in 1986 after media reports raised serious concerns about the welfare of young players. It then issued a statement which said: “The Celtic board investigated the rumours and interviewed the men concerned in depth and could find nothing to substantiate the stories.”
Has legal action been taken?
In February this year, Frank Cairney, 83, who was appointed CBC’s general manager in 1970, was convicted of nine charges of sexually abusing young footballers and began a four-year sentence. In May, Jim McCafferty, 73, who also worked for CBC, admitted 12 charges related to child sex abuse and was jailed. Four months earlier Gerald King, 66, one-time chairman of Celtic Boys Club, was convicted of sexually abusing four boys and a girl. Jim Torbett, 71, who helped to found Celtic Boys Club, was jailed for six years last November for abusing young players.
What do abuse survivors want?
Individuals who were molested and their representatives want Celtic FC to accept responsibility and apologise for the abuse within CBC that took place over three decades. Many want it to offer compensation.
What is Celtic FC’s position?
It insists it is not legally culpable for the abuse, describing the boys club as an “entirely separate organisation” with which they had “historic contacts”. It denies CBC was its “feeder club”.
Is CBC a completely separate organisation from CFC?
Celtic FC strongly insist it is. CBC had its own independent constitution, officers and rules. But on CBC’s archived website it describes itself as “the only official Celtic Boys Club”.
Man City leads way in redress
Manchester City is poised to offer millions of pounds in compensation to victims of historical child sexual abuse in a move that Celtic has been urged to emulate.
Under a redress scheme, survivors of the most serious crimes will receive six-figure sums in damages. A senior club official will also make a personal apology to each of the people affected.
The English champions are aware of 40 potential claimants.
Last year Barry Bennell, a former youth coach, was convicted of 43 charges relating to 12 former junior players between 1979 and 1990 during his time working for City and Crewe Alexandra. He was jailed for 31 years.
Another 86 people have since come forward to make complaints against him. Nine more make allegations against a second man from the club’s 1960s youth set-up, John Broome. He is now dead and no links with Bennell have been established.
Victims have been told the scheme may be a preferable alternative to pursuing a civil claim through the courts and should be processed within six to seven weeks.
Manchester City began an independent inquiry into one of the most serious scandals in English football history in November 2016 after Andy Woodward, a former professional footballer, revealed he had been abused by Bennell and encouraged others to come forward.
The review, led by Jane Mulcahy, QC, is yet to conclude but it is understood the club believes that victims should not be made to wait for compensation.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-inquiry-has-failed-to-contact-victims-nkl850cnj

Back