Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

I don't know if this has been posted already in this thread (all 10,154 posts of it!) but I came across a 'ManTheBheastsCan'tTame' article from Nov 2012. The final section gives a timeline of events, up to Aug 2005. I've added a few myself. It might be a good framework on which to build a more detailed account.

Celtic Boys’ Club is founded by Jim Torbett, with the backing of Celtic Chairman Sir Robert Kelly (Kevin Kelly's Uncle).

1970s
Frank Cairney joins the club.

The Boys’ Club prospers and produces some great talent including Tommy Burns, Paul McStay, Roy Aitken, Peter Grant. But during that era, rumours of abuse are rife.

Sir Robert Kelly dies. Kevin Kelly takes his place on the Board.

Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club General Manager, after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. He is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt, a photographer and Celtic associate, is made Chairman.

Jock Stein leaves Celtic FC

John Cullen joins the club as official Celtic View photographer.

Jock Stein dies after the Wales v Scotland World Cup Qualifying match in Cardiff.

Jim Torbett returns to Celtic Boys Club as a fundraiser. Kevin Kelly is Vice-Chairman.

Jim Torbett creates a new business – The Trophy Centre – alongside Honorary President of the Boy’s Club and Celtic board member, Kevin Kelly, plus Gerald McAleer, former youth player under Torbett, and Angus Yuile who was company secretary.

Kevin Kelly becomes a Director in CENTENARY SCOTCH WHISKY LIMITED along with Jim Torbett.

Kevin Kelly becomes Manager in Jim Torbett's THE TROPHY CENTRE Ltd Company.

Kevin Kelly becomes Celtic Chairman

Kevin Kelly becomes a Director in PLANROLE LIMITED along with Jim Torbett

A youth team member raises allegations of abuse against Cairney that happened during a trip to Kearney, New Jersey. His father takes him to Celtic Park to meet with new manager, Liam Brady, and chief scout, John Kelman. Brady approaches the board and demands Cairney leave the club. He resigns as general manager and part-time coach and the club announce this is due to ‘business commitments’.

The boy is assured that his allegations would not affect his future career at the club. It was also agreed between Celtic, Brady, the boy and his parents that the police would not be informed. Signed statements were taken from four adults who were also on the New Jersey trip. They were all sworn to secrecy.

The Drake Fellowship, an organisation formed to work with vulnerable young people to help them into education and training, becomes Fairbridge (named Fairbridge In Scotland north of the border). Celtic Boys Club coach Jim Torbett was named as managing director in company accounts that year.

Torbett is asked back to the club to help them raise funds via memorabilia sales. He eventually also returns to the Boy’s Club.

Kevin Kelly is ousted as Celtic Chairman

Fergus McCann joins Celtic and immediately receives an anonymous letter detailing years of abuse at the club. Adamant the persistent rumours should no longer be brushed under the carpet, he calls in Torbett and asks him to meet with the club’s lawyers to sign an affidavit either admitting or denying claims of abuse which could then be passed to police. Torbett refuses.

Celtic fan, Gerry McSherry appears on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he receives a number of calls making allegations of untoward behaviour at the Boy’s Club. McSherry begins his own investigation.

New Celtic boss Tommy Burns attempts to bring Frank Cairney back to Parkhead. Fergus McCann refuses following outrage from fans in New Jersey.

March 1996
Lawrence Haggart (15) is attacked in the living room of his home. Bludgeoned and subjected to inhuman torture (including having his feet set on fire), he died from his injuries the following day. There were no signs of forced entry at the property. Jim McCafferty is named as a suspect, but not pursued. A few weeks after the murder, McCafferty left Celtic.

Aug 1996
The Daily Record runs an expose on abuse at Celtic involving Torbett and Cairney. In the following days, former Scotland star Alan Brazil, David Gordon and John McCluskey tell The Daily Record of abuse by Torbett when when they were members of the Celtic Boys’ Club. McSherry is contracted to The Daily Record.

A further former player,Scott Sinclair, also comes forward claiming that Cairney would abuse boys in his van. Cairney refutes the allegations and denies knowing Sinclair. In response, Sinclair hands a photograph to The Daily Record which was a picture of the whole team, including both Sinclair and Cairney.

After the story broke, Burns rushed to Cairney’s home (a man he considered a close friend). He told waiting reporters “He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man“. The following day, an angry McCann issued a statement to the press stating: “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney, the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint“.

In response, Burns said he had been misquoted and actually said: “He has my backing and I’m sure he will have the backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level“. Torbett went in to hiding at the home of two former youth players – William and Andrew Gilbert.

The Trophy Centre sponsors the Scottish Amateur Youth leagues.

25 October, 1996
Jim Torbett charged with sex offences.

Aug 1997
The Court of Appeal lifts a gagging order that had banned the press from reporting on the court trial of Torbett and Cairney.

4 November 1998
Torbett stands trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court, charged with molesting three youngsters in his care including Alan Brazil.

12 November 1998
Torbett is found guilty of molesting children between 1967 and 1974, and jailed for two years.

Torbett resigns as director of The Trophy Centre.

May 2002
Cleaners find a bin bag full of obscene photographs of boys in a store room at Parkhead. John Cullen, club photographer, is immediately dismissed. He is subsequently found guilty of ‘lewd and libidinous’ behaviour. His lenient sentence causes outrage

May 2004
John Cullen, a photographer with Celtic Football Club admits a charge of indecency against boys aged as young as 10 years old. Over 250 pictures of young boys in various states of undress, were hidden in a storeroom at Celtic Park for nearly 20 years. During the trial, he admits to inviting the children to a house in Glasgow between January and December 1982 before getting them to pose for the camera. Astonishingly, he receives no jail time, but is given three years probation.

August 2005
Kevin Kelly retires from The Trophy Centre

February 2018
Stewart Regan (SFA Chief Executive) resigns from his post on 1 Feb. Andrew McKinlay (SFA Chief Operating Officer) resigned seven days later.

August 2018
Jim McCafferty sentenced to three years and nine months for sexually abusing a teenage boy in Belfast.

November 2018
Torbett sentenced to six years for abusing three boys between 1986 and 1994.

Dec 2018
Gerald King convicted of five charges of sexually abusing four boys and a girl between August 1984 and April 1989. Given a three-year probation order.

February 2019
Frank Cairney jailed for four years. He abused eight boys while running a team in Lanarkshire. He joined Celtic Boys Club in 1971 after being asked to run the youth side by Jock Stein.

May 2019
Jim McCafferty jailed for six years and nine months, after admitting 12 charges of sexually abusing young players over a 24-year period starting in 1972.

https://themanthebheastscanttame.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/the-celtic-sex-case-2/

EDIT: Added a few more items to the timeline. Please feel free to contribute.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been posted already in this thread (all 10,154 posts of it!) but I came across a 'ManTheBheastsCan'tTame' article from Nov 2012. The final section gives a timeline of events, up to Aug 2005. I've added a few myself. It might be a good framework on which to build a more detailed account.

Celtic Boys’ Club is founded by Jim Torbett, with the backing of Celtic Chairman Sir Robert Kelly (Kevin Kelly's Uncle).

1970s
The Boys’ Club prospers and produces some great talent including Tommy Burns, Paul McStay, Roy Aitken, Peter Grant. But during that era, rumours of abuse are rife.

Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club General Manager, after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. He is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt, a photographer and Celtic associate, is made chairman.

Jim Torbett returns to Celtic Boys Club as a fundraiser. Kevin Kelly is Vice-Chairman.

Kelly becomes a Director in CENTENARY SCOTCH WHISKY LIMITED along with Jim Torbett.

Kelly becomes Manager in Jim Torbett's THE TROPHY CENTRE Ltd Company.

Kelly becomes Celtic Chairman

Kelly becomes a Director in PLANROLE LIMITED along with Jim Torbett

Frank Cairney resigns as General Manager and part-time Coach at Celtic FC, following a trip to New Jersey where a young Celt was allegedly abused.

The Drake Fellowship, an organisation formed to work with vulnerable young people to help them into education and training, becomes Fairbridge (named Fairbridge In Scotland north of the border). Celtic Boys Club coach Jim Torbett was named as managing director in company accounts that year.

March 1996
Lawrence Haggart (15) is attacked in the living room of his home. Bludgeoned and subjected to inhuman torture (including having his feet set on fire), he died from his injuries the following day. There were no signs of forced entry at the property. Jim McCafferty is named as a suspect, but not pursued. A few weeks after the murder, McCafferty left Celtic.

25 October, 1996

4 November, 1998
Torbett stands trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court, charged with molesting three youngsters in his care including Alan Brazil.

12 November, 1998
Torbett is found guilty of molesting children between 1967 and 1974, and jailed for two years.

John Cullen, a photographer with Celtic Football Club admitted a charge of indecency against boys aged as young as 10 years old. Over 250 pictures of young boys in various states of undress, were hidden in a storeroom at Celtic Park for nearly 20 years.

August 2005

February 2018
Stewart Regan (SFA Chief Executive) resigns from his post on 1 Feb. Andrew McKinlay (SFA Chief Operating Officer) resigned seven days later.

August 2018
Jim McCafferty sentenced to three years and nine months for sexually abusing a teenage boy in Belfast.

November 2018

Dec 2018
Gerald King convicted of five charges of sexually abusing four boys and a girl between August 1984 and April 1989. Given a three-year probation order.

February 2019
Frank Cairney jailed for four years. He abused eight boys while running a team in Lanarkshire. He joined Celtic Boys Club in 1971 after being asked to run the youth side by Jock Stein.

May 2019
Jim McCafferty jailed for six years and nine months, after admitting 12 charges of sexually abusing young players over a 24-year period starting in 1972.

https://themanthebheastscanttame.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/the-celtic-sex-case-2/

great list ,can you remember who the female employee was ,that was sexually harrassed and abused by a fellow employees and when it was?

Managed to get a wee lead as far as emailing new york times goes from a friend in usa.
Email nytnews@nytimes.com

Journalists

Benjamin weiser.. weiser@nytimes.com

Boston globe spotlight journalist:

Patricia.wen@globe.com
Todd.wallack@globe.com
Spotlight@globe.com

I have photo shots of all their journalists too,so we can bombard them with the sex abuse scandal and hopefully,someone will pick up on it.
I will be firing off emails to all on the list,as well as the above and hope they bite...
Just to let you know tommy. That Todd wallack I tried a few months back and it bounced back. Maybe no longer works there?

Celtic never re-employed him after he was convicted.
He was thrown out by Jock Stein(who knew) he then returned around 1978 after Stein had left. He was not first convicted until 1999.
I believe that someone is working on a timeline of individuals and events. It can't come soon enough.

You’re right, but they knew he had been abusing kids & still re emploted him mate.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get.

We live an a developed country. We are pushing boundaries on many fronts.

But we also live in a country where high up politicians, police officers and established newspapers are doing all they can to bury 50 years of child abuse.

The thing that gets me is that it isn’t one guy in the police, one guy in the government and one at each news paper, it’s a substantial group of influential people conspiring against the public and abused people and children.
You’re right, but they knew he had been abusing kids & still re emploted him mate.
John Mcluskey from an earlier post quote "There was always talk around Celtic about Torbett and boys, but nothing seemed to be done until Jock Stein found out. "He kicked Torbett out, but it was still kept quiet. "All the directors and lots of others knew why Torbett got the boot, but it was swept under the carpet."

John Mcluskey from an earlier post quote "There was always talk around Celtic about Torbett and boys, but nothing seemed to be done until Jock Stein found out. "He kicked Torbett out, but it was still kept quiet. "All the directors and lots of others knew why Torbett got the boot, but it was swept under the carpet."

Thanks Baz. ;)

Don’t know if any of you are tracking the emails you send but there’s an app called Read Detector that I’ve found really useful. It notifies you every time the email has been read and you can see if it’s be forwarded to someone else.

I’d been emailing Dafabet for weeks and the email was never read. I sent it to the new address @QC Wine put up yesterday and already it’s been sent back and forth between 4 different people. We still might not get a response but at least we can see someone has taken an interest.
Cheers for the name of the software, will use this in my next round of "why are you not respondning e-mails"

this is the information i have on the new york times and boston globe newspapers...there are email addresses and also a general email address....feel free to take your pick and fire off emails to them and hopefully someone will pick it up and run with it.

EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR NEW YORK TIMES & JOURNALISTS:

NYTNEWS@NYTIMES.COM
BENJAMIN WEISNER – WEISNER@NYTIMES.COM

JOURNALISTS & EXECUTIVES OF NEW YORK TIMES. (SEND EMAILS TO NYTNEWS@NYTIMES.COM MARKED FOR THEIR ATTENTION).

DEAN BAQUET – EXECUTIVE EDITOR
JOSEPH KHAN – MANAGING EDITOR
REBECCA BLUMENSTEIN – DEPUTY MANAGING EDITOR
TOM BODKIN – DREATIVE DIRECTOR
MATTHEW PURDY – DEPUTY MANAGING EDITOR
REBECCA CORBETT – ASSISTANT EDITOR
SAM DONICK – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
MONICA DRAKE – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
STEVE DUENESS – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
ALEXANDRA MAC CALLUM – ASSISTANT EDITOR
MICHELL MC NALLY – ASSISTANT EDITOR
ALISON MITCHELL -ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
CAROLYN RYAN – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
MATT ERICSON – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
CLIFFORD.J.LEVY – ASSOCIATE MANAGING EDITOR
JAMES BENNET – EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
JAMES DAO – DEPUTY EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
KATHLEEN KINGSBURY – DEPUTY EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
ARTHUR OCHS SULZBERGER JR – CHAIRMAN OF THE NEW YORK TIMES
A.G.SULZBERGER – PUBLISHER
MARK THOMPSON – PRESIDENT & CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
MEREDITH KOPIT – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
ROLAND A.CAPUTO – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
NEW YORK TIMES EMPLOYEES CONTINUED:

DIANE BRAYTON – GENERAL COUNSEL & SECRETARY
NICK ROCKWELL – CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
ELLEN C. SHULTZ – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT TALENT AND INCLUSION
WILLIAM T.BARDEEN – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – STRATEGY AND DEVELOPMENT
R.ANTHONY BENTEN – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – TREASURER AND CONTROLLER
STEPHEN DUNBAR – JOHNSON – PRESIDENT INTERNATIONAL
LAURA EVANS – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – DATA AND INSIGHTS
TERRYL.HAYES – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT - LABOR RELATIONS AND FACILITIES

BOSTON GLOBE EMAIL ADRESSES AND JOURNALISTS:

PATRICIA.WEN@GLOBE.COM
TODD.WALLACK@GLOBE.COM
SPOTLIGHT@GLOBE.COM
DAVID ABEL – REPORTER
PETER ABRAHAM – REPORTER
YVONNE ABRAHAM – REPORTER
DUN ADAMS – REPORTER
SCOTT ALLEN – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR PROJECTS
EVAN ALLEN – REPORTER
TRAVIS ANDERSEN – REPORTER
LESLIE ANDERSON – REGIONAL EDITOR
STEVE ANNEAR – REPORTER
DUGAN ARNETT – REPORTER
MARK ARSENAULT – REPORTER
DON AUCOIN – THEATRE CRITIC
MICHAEL J.BAILEY – ASSISTANT NIGHT EDITOR
PETER BAILEY-WELLS – PRODUCER
BILLY BAKER – REPORTER
MEGHAN BARR – ARTICLES EDITOR
LESLEY BECKER – DESIGN EDITOR
MICHAEL BELLO – DEPUTY CITY EDITOR
JULLIAN BENHOW- REPORTER

i will be firing out some emails over next few days and see what bites i can get.

this is the information i have on the new york times and boston globe newspapers...there are email addresses and also a general email address....feel free to take your pick and fire off emails to them and hopefully someone will pick it up and run with it.

EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR NEW YORK TIMES & JOURNALISTS:

NYTNEWS@NYTIMES.COM
BENJAMIN WEISNER – WEISNER@NYTIMES.COM

JOURNALISTS & EXECUTIVES OF NEW YORK TIMES. (SEND EMAILS TO NYTNEWS@NYTIMES.COM MARKED FOR THEIR ATTENTION).

DEAN BAQUET – EXECUTIVE EDITOR
JOSEPH KHAN – MANAGING EDITOR
REBECCA BLUMENSTEIN – DEPUTY MANAGING EDITOR
TOM BODKIN – DREATIVE DIRECTOR
MATTHEW PURDY – DEPUTY MANAGING EDITOR
REBECCA CORBETT – ASSISTANT EDITOR
SAM DONICK – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
MONICA DRAKE – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
STEVE DUENESS – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
ALEXANDRA MAC CALLUM – ASSISTANT EDITOR
MICHELL MC NALLY – ASSISTANT EDITOR
ALISON MITCHELL -ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
CAROLYN RYAN – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
MATT ERICSON – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
CLIFFORD.J.LEVY – ASSOCIATE MANAGING EDITOR
JAMES BENNET – EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
JAMES DAO – DEPUTY EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
KATHLEEN KINGSBURY – DEPUTY EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
ARTHUR OCHS SULZBERGER JR – CHAIRMAN OF THE NEW YORK TIMES
A.G.SULZBERGER – PUBLISHER
MARK THOMPSON – PRESIDENT & CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
MEREDITH KOPIT – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
ROLAND A.CAPUTO – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
NEW YORK TIMES EMPLOYEES CONTINUED:

DIANE BRAYTON – GENERAL COUNSEL & SECRETARY
NICK ROCKWELL – CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
ELLEN C. SHULTZ – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT TALENT AND INCLUSION
WILLIAM T.BARDEEN – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – STRATEGY AND DEVELOPMENT
R.ANTHONY BENTEN – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – TREASURER AND CONTROLLER
STEPHEN DUNBAR – JOHNSON – PRESIDENT INTERNATIONAL
LAURA EVANS – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – DATA AND INSIGHTS
TERRYL.HAYES – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT - LABOR RELATIONS AND FACILITIES

BOSTON GLOBE EMAIL ADRESSES AND JOURNALISTS:

PATRICIA.WEN@GLOBE.COM
TODD.WALLACK@GLOBE.COM
SPOTLIGHT@GLOBE.COM
DAVID ABEL – REPORTER
PETER ABRAHAM – REPORTER
YVONNE ABRAHAM – REPORTER
DUN ADAMS – REPORTER
SCOTT ALLEN – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR PROJECTS
EVAN ALLEN – REPORTER
TRAVIS ANDERSEN – REPORTER
LESLIE ANDERSON – REGIONAL EDITOR
STEVE ANNEAR – REPORTER
DUGAN ARNETT – REPORTER
MARK ARSENAULT – REPORTER
DON AUCOIN – THEATRE CRITIC
MICHAEL J.BAILEY – ASSISTANT NIGHT EDITOR
PETER BAILEY-WELLS – PRODUCER
BILLY BAKER – REPORTER
MEGHAN BARR – ARTICLES EDITOR
LESLEY BECKER – DESIGN EDITOR
MICHAEL BELLO – DEPUTY CITY EDITOR
JULLIAN BENHOW- REPORTER

i will be firing out some emails over next few days and see what bites i can get.
Outstanding again tommy. I’ve emailed them again recently. I’m sure Wen heads spotlight

They can try and deny all they want but the fact of the matter is Stein via directors sacked him. How on Earth does that work? How can a separate entity do that?

They are liars from cradle to grave.

One night before the big walk, I couldn't sleep, so came downstairs and pissed about on the computer, I read the court transcripts of the Torbett case an I could've swore I read McNeil say that, I have since been unable to find those transcripts after several searches though.

“It (Torbett’s crimes) was an open secret at Parkhead”

Billy McNeil, Evening Times 13th November 1998

https://themanthebheastscanttame.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Am I right in saying these disgusting bastards have now had three internal investigations into what they say is a separate entity

1 in 1986
2 in the 90s by Fergus McCann
3 over the past two years

In that time they have uncovered %^*& all

In the same time there has been eight convictions to coaches from CFC/CBC

Torbett twice
Mccafferty twice (1 not at Celtic)
Cairney
Strachan
Cullen
King

Given McSherrys list of 14 I would bet my house on there being a lot more as well

Tick tock you vile bunch of bastards

Am I right in saying these disgusting bastards have now had three internal investigations into what they say is a separate entity

1 in 1986
2 in the 90s by Fergus McCann
3 over the past two years

In that time they have uncovered %^*& all

In the same time there has been eight convictions to coaches from CFC/CBC

Torbett twice
Mccafferty twice (1 not at Celtic)
Cairney
Strachan
Cullen
King

Given McSherrys list of 14 I would bet my house on there being a lot more as well

Tick tock you vile bunch of bastards

They are claiming their investigations have led to convictions.

Through their friends at Clyde they are suggesting they had no obligation to report the abuse anyway.

The spin they're putting out would make Alistair Campbell squirm and the contempt for their victims would creep the life out of the likes of Fred West and Josef Fritzl.

They are sick.

I've said it before, I'll say it again and I will continue to say it. This, is your justice minister;

Scotland-724664.png

Do not expect Celtic to be treated like any other suspect of sex crimes.

They are claiming their investigations have led to convictions.

Through their friends at Clyde they are suggesting they had no obligation to report the abuse anyway.

The spin they're putting out would make Alistair Campbell squirm and the contempt for their victims would creep the life out of the likes of Fred West and Josef Fritzl.

They are sick.
I think you may have misread that, the way it was written didn't help matters.

They can try and deny all they want but the fact of the matter is Stein via directors sacked him. How on Earth does that work? How can a separate entity do that?

They are liars from cradle to grave.
They will deny. They will deflect. That’s what they do. A two year internal investigation ( in their words) is an attempt of damage limitation. They have tried to separate the club from the boys club. And then they prove their guilt by the announcement of St pats. They know they are guilty. Mrs Gray and others know they are guilty. There is a member on here that grew up with Andrew Gray. A member who is his best friend to this day. A man who is fighting for justice for his pal who is now not with us anymore.
And then we have a shameful Scottish press. A political party that governs our country that have no intention of upsetting the Scottish republicans. A justice secretary that is out for his own means and can openly support his club but not support the people who need his support. We live in a country of political corruption. That’s been proved to me and a few others who have been in contact with Andrew’s pal and the gray family. Please believe me that there are people on here that are willing no matter what to do whatever it takes to get justice.
I’m not scared of lurkers. Believe me I’ve had them contact me. I’m not scared of being questioned by anyone on this subject. I’m doing it for a member on here who I met and told me his best pal and his family have been let down by the club that they loved.
Now we are getting somewhere. This thread has more than 10,000 posts. More and more people getting involved and especially to us being active in contacting various organisations. There are a lot of intelligent people on this thread. People that are going out their way to get justice. And we will get justice. And hopefully certain individuals that are in the government in Scotland will be brought to justice also. We need the inquiry to do so.

They will deny. They will deflect. That’s what they do. A two year internal investigation ( in their words) is an attempt of damage limitation. They have tried to separate the club from the boys club. And then they prove their guilt by the announcement of St pats. They know they are guilty. Mrs Gray and others know they are guilty. There is a member on here that grew up with Andrew Gray. A member who is his best friend to this day. A man who is fighting for justice for his pal who is now not with us anymore.
And then we have a shameful Scottish press. A political party that governs our country that have no intention of upsetting the Scottish republicans. A justice secretary that is out for his own means and can openly support his club but not support the people who need his support. We live in a country of political corruption. That’s been proved to me and a few others who have been in contact with Andrew’s pal and the gray family. Please believe me that there are people on here that are willing no matter what to do whatever it takes to get justice.
I’m not scared of lurkers. Believe me I’ve had them contact me. I’m not scared of being questioned by anyone on this subject. I’m doing it for a member on here who I met and told me his best pal and his family have been let down by the club that they loved.
Now we are getting somewhere. This thread has more than 10,000 posts. More and more people getting involved and especially to us being active in contacting various organisations. There are a lot of intelligent people on this thread. People that are going out their way to get justice. And we will get justice. And hopefully certain individuals that are in the government in Scotland will be brought to justice also. We need the inquiry to do so.
Can I ask you BN94 what these lurkers gain by contacting you, do they threaten you, ask who you are etc?

Well Said Pal I also been contacted mostly about point scoring side of it although had I've had a couple of people say to me that they know it's me that's involved in this and The Broomloan for Bears. whether it was a threat I don't know but they know where I am or find me I have lately been watching my back walking home from the pub it's only 5 mins from my house but started doing it anyway

The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 places a general duty on all employers to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that all employees and non employees are not exposed to risks to their health, safety and welfare.

As it is alleged that Celtic knew about was going on and did not take sufficient action to ensure that such action did not continue then they could be liable for criminal prosecution.

Nothing to stop anyone asking Glasgow District Council to investigate as they are the relevant enforcing authority. If they do not co-operate then they can be reported to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Also, anyone can make a freedom of information request to the District Council asking for all records that they hold regarding Celtic FC, Celtic BC and child protection issues associated with them. If you hit a brick wall, complain to the Information Commissioner.

Coolatballet; Already been progressing this a few days ago , you will find the relevant quote on p.198/9851 of this thread; the correct authority in this case
is The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) which covers all matters under that act,
the Local Authority being Glasgow District Council would be responsible for
ensuring the premises met any/all requirements for Building Control granting a Stadium Safety Certificate of Use, relating to Crowd Control, Entry and Egress etc.
though maybe 20 yrs ago GDC would have been involved with any Occupational
Health Requirements pursuant of HSAWA (1974).:rolleyes:

is their evidence to collaborate 4 x payments to the trophy centre,is there a way to confirm this folks?

A while back I mentioned that it would be interesting if as stated below ever happened, and how much a year their new suppliers were paid as opposed to the Trophy Centres £250,000?

Please note that the three articles below are from 2002,2000 and 1999. The one from 2000 seems to mention that, (unless I am reading this wrong) despite saying they were going to sever ties with the Trophy centre they actually continued paying them.

I would assume the Financial Controller circa 1999 at the club could have knowledge of this.

CHARLES LAVERY Chief Reporter EXCLUSIVE

CELTIC have severed business links with Jim Torbett, four years after he was jailed for molesting three young footballers.

The club will not renew a controversial pounds 250,000-a-year contract with a firm linked to the paedophile founder of Celtic Boys' Club.

Celtic chairman Ian McLeod ordered all ties to be cut with the Trophy Centre, in Glasgow, and put the contract out to tender.

Club insiders say McLeod was alarmed to discover the club has paid the company more than pounds 1million since millionaire Torbett, 54, was convicted of molesting young starlets, including ex- Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Club officials were told the Trophy Centre contract will not be renewed next week. Torbett made a fortune supplying merchandise, including medals and scarves, to the club.

He resigned his directorship of the Trophy Centre in 2000 after being jailed for two years in November 1998.

But he remains a key figure in the business and his car is regularly seen at Trophy Centre outlets in Glasgow.

Staff answering the phone at the shops last week continued to take messages for him.

A Celtic insider said: "The club has had a long history with the Trophy Centre but a new management has come in and that relationship has not sat comfortably with them.

"There has been work going on behind the scenes and the upshot is that the contract is about to lapse and we will be looking for a new supplier. The new managment were appalled that someone like that was still taking money from Celtic.

"The directors decided someone new will be appointed, but they are angry that they could not get out of the contract earlier.

"They have paid that firm more than pounds 1million in the time since Torbett was convicted and that is appalling."

A spokesman for the club said: "Celtic had a long-term contractual obligation with the Trophy Centre.

"This has now lapsed and we are opening up the supply of our merchandise to tender."

The continuing links between Torbett, 54, and the club were condemned by his victims. A lawyer acting for James McGrory, now 44, had attacked the refusal of the Parkhead club to sever all ties with the Trophy Centre.

Iain Cochrane accused the club of being high-handed and dismissive of his client's concern adding: "Mr McGrory was surprised and distressed to discover Celtic's continuing business relationship."

Torbett was exposed as a child molester in August 1996. He has not been seen at Celtic Park since. He served less than half of his sentence.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

CONVICTED paedophile Jim Torbett is raking in a fortune from Celtic FC.

The founder of Celtic Boys' Club was jailed for molesting three young players.

But Celtic Football Club has continued to work closely with the sex offender's company, The Trophy Centre.

They are his biggest clients, worth around pounds 250,000 each year.

Last night the club refused to comment on their contract with Torbett's firm.

But Celtic are under mounting pressure to walk away from the controversial business deal.

One of Torbett's victims David Gordon, 39, now a Glasgow taxi driver, said: "This man is a convicted sex offender and registered paedophile.

"Why the hell are Celtic still doing business with his company?"

Pervert Torbett, 52, was released from Barlinnie prison last November after serving less than half of his two-year sentence.

He was jailed in 1998 for acts of indecency with three young boys.

His victims included Alan Brazil, who went on to become a Scotland star.

But, while he was behind bars, the profits were piling up. As a director, Torbett owns a 95 per cent stake in the company, which stocks football memorabilia.

At the time of Torbett's conviction, former Celtic chief Fergus McCann said he would be "reviewing" the situation.

But the club honoured the remaining year of the contract and opted to renew its relationship with the firm.

It now faces growing criticism, especially as Rangers have cut all ties with The Trophy Centre.

Celtic Boys' Club secretary Robert Wilson said: "I'm sick of this. We just run the boys' teams.

"But how we've still got them after all this I don't know."

COPYRIGHT 2000 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2000 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

CELTIC Football Club have refused to sever business links with child molester Jim Torbett.

The club are still awarding lucrative contracts to Torbett's merchandising firm despite his conviction for assaulting young footballers.

Officials promised to review commercial links with millionaire Torbett - who founded Celtic Boys' Club - after he was jailed five months ago.

But his company, The Trophy Centre, continue to supply official club merchandise, including clothing, scarves and mugs.

One of his victims yesterday bitterly criticised the club for continuing to put money into Torbett's pocket.

James McGrory, now 44, was one of three boys molested by Torbett, who was jailed for two years in November.

Mr McGrory's lawyers have written to Celtic to express his horror.

Solicitor Iain Cochrane said: "Mr McGrory was surprised and distressed to discover Celtic's continuing business relationship.

"This was particularly surprising given the club's public comments at the time of the conviction."

Mr Cochrane said the replies from Parkhead had been high-handed and dismissive and the club refused even to confirm that Torbett's company were still winning contracts.

Company secretary Heather Barton merely insisted the club always acted "in the best interests of supporters".

Torbett, 51, was jailed for molesting three young Celtic Boys' Club players.

Sheriff Margaret Gimblett told him: "These children were football mad with stars in their eyes.

"You knew that and betrayed that trust. There can be no hiding place for people who abuse children."

Torbett's abuse was exposed in a series of award-winning Daily Record articles in August 1996.

He used his position as coach to abuse the boys, including Alan Brazil who went on to play for Scotland.

Records at Companies House, in Edinburgh, reveal Torbett remains a director and principal shareholder of The Trophy Centre.

Staff from the firm supported Torbett during his trial and Sheriff Gimblett revealed that only the testimonials they wrote on his behalf saved him from a longer sentence.

Yesterday, Trophy Centre director Gerry McAleer confirmed the company continued to supply Celtic but claimed not to know Torbett's status with the firm.

COPYRIGHT 1999 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
Copyright 1999 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Last edited:
I have seen some mention of Hugh Birt a couple of days ago, to remove any doubt that Hugh was anything other than a witness to the events here is part of his testimony. It should be noted this was 1998 and he speaks of carrying the burden for 25 years.

Also, the name of Gerald McAleer is prominent once again.

JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett, it was claimed yesterday.

Torbett, who is now accused of abusing three boys while he was at the club, was literally kicked out of Parkhead by Stein, a court heard.

But, when the claims subsequently surfaced, Stein and the directors were anxious to keep the image of the club clean and nothing more was done.

The claim was made by former Boys' Club chairman Hugh Birt, 61, who told Glasgow Sheriff Court that, when he first heard the allegations, he didn't have enough evidence to go to the police.

Asked how he felt about giving evidence against Torbett, he replied: "It's a tremendous relief for me because I have been carrying it about for 25 years."

Birt said he was asked to become chairman when Torbett was "put out" of the Boys' Club.

Asked who got rid of him, Birt said: "According to Mr Stein, he literally put his foot up his backside and kicked him out. It was all covered up by Celtic Football Club as to why he was kicked out."

He admitted that he had had a good relationship with Torbett, who returned to the Boys' Club several years later as a fundraiser.

Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay going on and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved in it because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein, and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them.

He said: "I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times."

He denied a suggestion from Alan Nicol, defending, that he was a "troublemaker" who'd been forced to leave the Boys' Club for spreading gossip about the sexuality of a referee.

Mr Kelly, 61, is a director of Torbett's firm, Trophy Centre.

He said that, during his time as Celtic vice- chairman, no-one made any allegations. He also denied ever meeting Birt to discuss claims against Torbett.

Another Trophy Centre director, Gerald McAleer, 42, who played for the Boys' Club when Torbett was there, denied that his silence had been bought.

As a youngster, he had gone on trips with other boys to the cinema and restaurants with Torbett as well as going to his flat.

But he said he had never seen anything amiss.

Most of the time he was in the flat, Torbett's mother - with whom he later stayed for a year - was there.

He had a good relationship with Torbett then and was still friends with him now.

He was "absolutely positive" that he had never seen Torbett interfere with one of the alleged boy victims, James McGrory.

John Service, prosecuting, asked: "At any time, were you aware of any difficulties at the Boys' Club, of allegations being made against Mr Torbett back in the 70s?"

McAleer, who was a prosecution witness, replied: "No, not at all."

He also denied that being Torbett's business partner and friend had influenced his evidence.

Mr Nicol, cross examining, said: "The implication is your silence has been bought."

McAleer replied: "You asked me to tell you the truth and I am telling you the truth."

He had never heard any rumours about allegations against Torbett until a newspaper story in 1996, which he described as "absolutely untrue and unfounded."

McAleer said he was not gay and didn't know if Torbett was homosexual.

Torbett, 51, of Burnbrae Road, Auchinloch, Lenzie, near Glasgow, denies three charges of shameless indecency involving three boys between October, 1967 and March, 1974. The alleged offences against James McGrory, 44, David Gordon, 38 and former Scotland star Alan Brazil, 39, are said to have happened at Torbett's old flat in Sighthill, Glasgow. Torbett also denies further offences against Mr McGrory at two cinemas, two restaurants and a bowling alley.

The trial, before Sheriff Margaret Gimblett, continues on Monday.

COPYRIGHT 1998 MGN LTD

HUGH Birt's 25-year crusade has been to unmask perverts like Jim Torbett.

Today, 12 years after he quit as chairman of Celtic Boys' Club over the sex abuse cover- up, Hugh is still angry.

He is convinced that there are dozens of other Torbett victims suffering in silence. At his home in Bishopbriggs, near Glasgow, Hugh, 65, spoke of Torbett's "frightening" power over the youngsters.

He said: "He could make dreams come true - or destroy them.

"You have no idea what these lads would have done to pull on a Celtic jersey.

"But the saddest part of it all is that the parents who phoned me complaining their boys had been abused, would not go with me to the police because they knew their lads would never play for Celtic."

Hugh was made chairman of Celtic Boys' Club after Celtic FC manager Jock Stein kicked out Torbett amid complaints of abuse.

He said: "Jock said to me to keep its name clean."

After Stein quit as manager, Torbett wormed his way back into the club and some of the boys used to sleep in his flat in Sighthill, Glasgow, on a Friday night.

Hugh recalled: "He used to turn the boys out really well. They were immaculate when they left his house on a Saturday morning with their Celtic blazers on. It was as though they were his boys."

As more parents complained to Hugh about sex abuse, he informed Celtic vice- chairman Kevin Kelly, on advice from Jock Stein.

He said Kelly, who had just been given a plum job at Torbett's Trophy Centre, promised to investigate and the claims were reported to the Boys' Club committee.

But minutes from that meeting have vanished.

Hugh claims he finally quit after a row with Kelly over the abuse claims.

He added: "I did what I could but I was up against a brick wall because the boys and parents would not come out and tell what happened.

"Many times, I used to take boys aside who I suspected were being abused and ask them if there were any problems.

"You could tell by the way they blushed or changed the subject that there was something going on, but there was always denials. Sex abuse was a taboo subject."

"I believe a lot of boys never got the chance to make the grade because of Torbett. It should never have been allowed to happen."

COPYRIGHT 1998 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday

Last edited:

1970s

Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club General Manager, after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. He is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt, a photographer and Celtic associate, is made chairman.

Kelly becomes a Director in CENTENARY SCOTCH WHISKY LIMITED along with Jim Torbett.

Kelly becomes Manager in Jim Torbett's THE TROPHY CENTRE Ltd Company.

Kelly becomes Celtic Chairman

Kelly becomes a Director in PLANROLE LIMITED along with Jim Torbett

Frank Cairney resigns as General Manager and part-time Coach at Celtic FC, following a trip to New Jersey where a young Celt was allegedly abused.

March 1996

25 October, 1996

4 November, 1998

12 November, 1998

John Cullen, a photographer with Celtic Football Club admitted a charge of indecency against boys aged as young as 10 years old. Over 250 pictures of young boys in various states of undress, were hidden in a storeroom at Celtic Park for nearly 20 years.

August 2005

February 2018

August 2018

November 2018

Dec 2018

February 2019

May 2019

Great list, IMO would be woeth adding the date of tommy burns testimonial hame as torbett is listed as part of the committee, was posted on here not sure of the date.

@Humbug much appreciated with that info,that’ll do nicely for what I’m after.

Thank you!

I'm starting to find all these old links again BB, they are bookmarked in various places on various devices. The thing is re-reading these old pieces is totally different now given what is known, all the parts are falling into place, there is a mountain of evidence out there.

McAleer again took the stand and sang praise for Torbett,how can any man stand and back the story of a convicted sex offender.

And back the man to the hilt,McAleer knew all the shops takings and stayed behind at night to do paper work and figure’s.

said at no point would the wee five year old boy be left alone in the building,he knew the wee fella’s mum,and the workplace door was always open,so he said no abuse at the centre also for Andrew.

The Jury didn’t believe him,I saw a few of them shake their head after the lady advocate pushed him in cross examination.

The man is a liar and knows fine well he is in company with a wicked man.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know who the boy from the Norway article was describing.

A 17 year old who was living with Torbett?

Surely not the creep William Gilbert who has sworn under oath Torbett has not abused him in any way shape or form.

The boy in Norway was John McCluskey

Celtic Sex fiend left me weeping in Norway
by Anna Smith

At just 13, he was Celtic's youngest-ever signing and hailed as Scotland's greatest prospect. But John McCluskey's dreams of stardom were tarnished by Jim Torbett. The innocent lad was used for tawdry sex by the manager during a boys' club trip to Norway. And, when Torbett had fulfilled his sick obsession, he left his victim alone, confused and crying.

John, the brother of Parkhead favourite George McCluskey, spoke yesterday of the agony he has felt for 23 years. Near tears, he said: "My guilt and shame now is not for what happened that night. My shame is that I waited 23 years to do anything about it. "Dunblane was the one thing that made me come forward. If some of the boys abused by Thomas Hamilton had spoken out, perhaps the massacre might not have happened." Striker John was destined to be a Celtic great. At 12, he so impressed Jock Stein that he was promised a place on the ground staff as soon as he left school. A key player at Celtic Boys' Club, John's Lanarkshire home was littered with trophies and medals. But one Best Player trophy fills him with revulsion each time he looks at it. It was given him after the awful night in Norway that changed his life forever. John said: "Every time I look at that trophy, I wonder if I got it because of what Torbett did to me. "I've always felt like throwing it in a river. But, if I had, I'd have had to tell everyone what happened." Tears fill John's eyes as he relives the nightmare. He said: "We were lying in a dormitory talking about football -the usual stuff. "Torbett was sleeping in the dorm and shouted, `Fryer' -my nickname -`go in that room and sort the strips for tomorrow'. "But, when I went in, the strips were already sorted. "Torbett followed me in and sat me down on the bed. He put his hand inside my pyjamas and fondled me. "I was terrified. I didn't know what to do. I just sat there and let him do it to me. "When I think of it now it makes me sick. "He left, and I cried my eyes out. I didn't want to go back among the boys and I didn't want to be by myself. I was so frightened. "Eventually I went back to bed and pulled the covers over my head. "I didn't know what to think. I thought there must be something wrong with me and I must have enjoyed it, otherwise I wouldn't have let him do it to me. "So I was terrified to complain to anyone."

John had been on other foreign trips with the boys' club. But he came back from Norway a different person. He said: "Everything had changed. But I was still determined to be a great player. "I trained hard and played really well. I don't know how, but I was able to concentrate on my game." But he stayed away from Torbett. He said: "A crowd of boys used to go to his home all the time. I went once, and that was enough for me. "I saw him beat up a lad who played with the boys' club, but was about 17 and seemed to live with him. "I was horrified to see him slapping his face and punching him, yet the boy did nothing to stop him. "There was always talk around Celtic about Torbett and boys, but nothing seemed to be done until Jock Stein found out. "He kicked Torbett out, but it was still kept quiet. "All the directors and lots of others knew why Torbett got the boot, but it was swept under the carpet."

John soon became a young Scottish hero, scoring the winner against England at Wembley in a 1975 schoolboy international. All eyes were on the boy who was to be the new Kenny Dalglish. But, two years later, a kick in training caused a blood clot on his leg that destroyed his career. John made a brief comeback, playing with Celtic's first team in a European tie when he was still 17. But his injury recurred, and he hasn't played since. For nearly 20 years, he has watched former team-mates grab the trophies as his life has become a tragic tale of booze and disappointment. John, who now hasn't touched a drop in four years, reckons his injury helped push him into drinking. But he is sure his biggest reason was to blot out the memory of Torbett's abuse. He said: "I started drinking after Norway. Suddenly it looked like something I wanted to do. "I was drinking heavily from 17. It was the only way to forget what Torbett did. "I was shattered that my career had finished. But I could have lived with that if it hadn't been for Norway. "I'm so glad I don't have sons. I would have wanted to send them to Celtic Boys Club, but I would always have wondered if some pervert was abusing them. "It took me a long time to come to terms with what happened and understand it wasn't my fault. "But there are still days when I suddenly find myself in tears. "Nobody should get away with what Torbett did. How many more boys have suffered because of him? "I still love Celtic. I go to Parkhead every week and I'll be a Celtic man until I die. "I only hope real Celtic fans will understand why I have come forward. If I can help stop this happening to one more boy, it will have been worthwhile."

TORBETT PLEADED AS HIS VICTIM SOBBED A few days ago, John got a chilling phone call from Torbett pleading his innocence. It came after John made a sworn statement about the pervert to Celtic's lawyers, in the presence of club supremo Fergus McCann. John said: "I didn't even tell my brother George about Torbett until last week. "He was furious and wanted to do something about it. I told him to leave it, that I was coping fine. "But, when he left the house, I just burst into tears. "While I was crying, the phone rang. It was Torbett. "He said: `What are you doing to me, son?' "I told him it was what he did to me that was the problem. "He said:`You know I never touched you, son. You know I loved you, and your family.' "I was sick, just listening to him. "I told him that I hadn't gone to the police or the newspapers and he said, `I appreciate that, son'."

John told how a visit from the police, who were investigating sex abuse allegations at Celtic Boys' Club dating back four years, finally made him come forward. He said: "The police were asking about someone else. "I thought they wanted to talk about Torbett, but they didn't, so I didn't tell them my story. "I spoke to Tommy Burns about it instead. He got me to make a statement to Fergus McCann who asked me to make a statement to their lawyers. "I have now done that. I will also make a statement to the police."

Would be interesting to know who the boy from the Norway article was describing.

A 17 year old who was living with Torbett?

Surely not the creep William Gilbert who has sworn under oath Torbett has not abused him in any way shape or form.

I believe it was, (see the bold part in part 2)someone else might know more of this but I understand that their father may have been a policeman and was distraught regarding this.
Part 1
THE OTHER SIDE OF PARADISE
Scotland on Sunday 18/08/1996

Celtic Boys' Club appealed to the dreams of a generation of football hopefuls, but they have only made the tabloids in a seamy tale of manipulation and abuse, report AUDREY GILLAN and RON McKAY

IT ALL begins in a shrine, the walls adorned with artefacts and relics, all carefully arranged and devoutly displayed, past which the faithful shuffled and nourished their own dreams of immortality.

Here, paradise seemed tangible, just a short trip away. But the changing faces who gaped in awe at this display of devotion were
gullible young boys who worshipped a team. They stared at the display of shirts and photographs, testimonials and autographs and
believed the man who told them that they could look down from the window, across the city to the football ground in the East End and
take all that lay before them.

Jim Torbett was 20 when he set up Celtic Boys' Club in 1966, seeking permission from the then manager Jock Stein to use the team's
name. He was only a few years older than the lads who trooped through his living room. Boys who left believing, as he did, in dreams,
certain that they were special, marked out for fame. Now 30 years on, those dreams have become nightmares for some, grown men
marked forever by the shy but enthusiastic man who took them to the heights and then the depths.

John McCluskey is, in the unimpeachable judgment of former Celtic star Charlie Nicholas, the best young player he ever saw. Last
week, McCluskey -who has fought drink, addiction and his own demons - was sitting in an upmarket Glasgow hotel, sipping cappuccino
and waiting to make a statement to police that Torbett had sexually assaulted him. He had been so badly affected by the Dunblane
massacre, he said, that he felt he had to make a stand.

Just two days before, the Daily Record had spread across five pages allegations that the boys' club founder had abused him. His
allegation was supported by Ally Brazil, the former Ipswich and Spurs striker, another graduate of the Celtic academy, who claimed that
Torbett kissed and fondled him when he was only 14. Within hours of the story hitting the streets, and the newspaper setting up its
abuse hotline, dozens of calls had come in and another man - Frank Cairney, the man who had been brought in by Jock Stein to get rid
of the smears and innuendoes which for years had hung around the boys' club - was also being named as an abuser.

Whispers that something was not quite right with Celtic Boys' Club had been around since its inception. Some boys passed through the
ranks unscathed, ducking slaps on the bum and over-enthusiastic spongings when they lay injured on the pitch. But others are alleged
to have suffered at the hands of a man who abused his position in pursuit of paedophile perversions. It seemed some of the weaker
boys, those with less skill, less certain of a place on the first team, those with less parental guidance, became easy prey. They would be
enticed back to Torbett's house with promises of meals and ice cream and sometimes less innocent pursuits would follow.

Part 2

When Fergus McCann finally arrived in the halo of television lights at Parkhead in 1994 he knew that he faced a formidable task:
rebuilding a stadium, a team and the belief of a support which had seen years of failed promises and dismal performance. What he did
not expect -by way of an anonymous letter sent to him almost as soon as he was through the door - was a disturbing report of years of
abuse at the boys' club. Officially, the club was entirely separate from Celtic but McCann appreciated that it was inextricably bound to
Parkhead in the minds of the public, and indeed in the hearts of some of the players and former players - like Peter Grant, Paul McStay
and Tommy Burns - who had graduated from it to the big time of professional football.

McCann quickly went about trying to establish the truth, or not, of the accusations. He called in Jim Torbett and asked him to meet
Celtic's lawyers and confirm or deny, in an affidavit which could be passed to the police, the accusations. Torbett repeatedly refused.
He asked Ally Brazil and John McCluskey to make their allegations formal. Brazil refused at that stage. McCluskey agreed, but only if
his statement was not passed to the police.

Ironically, McCann was playing out, more than three years on, a sad little tableau which had occurred at Parkhead under the old
regime, ruled over by the Kelly and White families. In 1991 the boys' club had been to Kearney, New Jersey - an annual tour to the Irish
part of the state with players staying at the homes of Catholic families -and one boy, no longer at Celtic but now a professional player in
Scotland, had alleged to his hosts and to his own family that he had been assaulted by the team's general manager, Frank Cairney.
The boy's father took him to Celtic Park to have it out with Liam Brady who was then only months in the job as team manager. The
club's chief scout John Kelman was also present.

It was Brady's first serious and most affecting problem in a troubled time at Parkhead which did not last long. He listened to the boy,
believed him, and insisted to the board that Cairney had to be removed, not only from the boys' club but from any association with the
main football club. So, overnight, the man who was used to having his run of the place and the ear of the management, was cast out.
It was agreed, by Brady, the boy and his parents and the then Celtic board, that the police would not be informed. The young player
was assured that the alleged incident would have no effect on his future career at the club. However, signed statements were taken by
Celtic's lawyers from the four adults who had been on the New Jersey trip. All were sworn to silence.Cairney was now away from the football club and its nursery - business commitments was the given reason - but Jim Torbett was backplaying a major role, first as a fund-raiser then back with the boys' club. Torbett had maintained his connections with Celtic. Pre-
McCann board member Kevin Kelly, still honorary president of the boys' club, is a fellow director of Torbett's company The Trophy
Centre, and current board member Jack McGinn is an employee.

It is not clear why a man widely regarded as a child abuser was allowed back into a position of responsibility at the boys' club. Torbett
had been kicked out in 1976 after being confronted by the committee and, according to Frank Cairney's account of the meeting, had
broken down in tears and confessed. He was then summoned to a meeting with Jock Stein, at the end of which the big man physically
kicked him out of the door. And just to ensure that the boys' club stayed clean the legendary Celtic manager brought in another man,
Hugh Birt, as chairman of its committee.

Birt claims he was concerned about the behaviour of both Cairney and Torbett - who wheedled his way back in after Stein's death - and
raised the matter with the club. Before he knew it Birt was asked to resign. When he stood his ground and refused, he says, Celtic
withdrew his ticket to the directors' box and he had no option but to get out.

In spite of all these troubles, the boys' club, from humble beginnings in a hall in Maryhill, had become a great success and was now
seen as a crucial feeder of players for the senior club. It used Celtic's training ground at Barrowfield for coaching and matches and
became one of the country's most successful nurseries: its more famous graduates include current manager Tommy Burns, George
McCluskey, Roy Aitken, Charlie Nicholas, Paul McStay, and of the present side Peter Grant and Simon Donnelly.

But although the boys' club was hugely successful, rumours still continued to surround it. Former players began to talk to the press,
although none would go on record or make a formal complaint to the police. The New Jersey incident in 1991 was successfully
managed by the club and it seemed that nothing tangible would ever be proved. And then, in 1994, the new regime swept into Celtic
Park and the rumours flared up again. This time, the chairman was determined that nothing should be kicked under the carpet.

As McCann's investigation got under way, a lone Celtic fanatic Gerry McSherry, who resented the arrival of the new board, appeared
on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he had received a number of calls suggesting untoward
behaviour in the boys club. After months of investigation, McSherry began touting what he called the Paedo Files round various
newspapers and television companies and claims now to be under contract to the Record.

Last week, as the story developed from allegations against Torbett - who was suspended from the boys' club six days ago - to claims
that Cairney fondled boys as they sat in the front seat of his car, many men with long associations with the club began to grow uneasy.
Former players backed Big Frank whom they knew as a "father figure" and Burns rushed out to Cairney's terraced home in Viewpark,
Lanarkshire, after receiving a call from the man he considers a close friend. Leaving his house the manager was reported to have said:
"He [Cairney] has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man."

The following morning Burns must have been wishing he had bitten his tongue. Incandescent at his manager's assumption that the club
would back Cairney, McCann issued a statement. "While I sympathise with Tommy Burns' personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney,
the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint," he said.

Burns himself claimed that he had been misquoted and what he had in fact said was: "He has my backing and I'm sure he will have the
backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level."

Meanwhile, the allegations against Torbett went unchallenged. After hiding out at the east end home of William and Andrew Gilbert -
two young men who had played for the boys' club - he is said to have left the country. Yesterday, their mother Susan said that Torbett
was a close family friend - they sometimes travelled abroad with him and the boys' club - and that the allegations made against him
were rubbish.

DCI John Boyd at London Road police station, who has four officers investigating the allegations, said that his team had been taking
calls from a number of people who had not gone through the Daily Record. He added that the inquiry was at an early stage and that no
arrests were imminent.

At Celtic Park, the management is trying to keep its head down and stop the scandal interfering with play. Footballers like Peter Grant
and Tosh McKinlay - who came through the boys' club route - have nothing to say on the record. And the boy who made the complaint
against Cairney? He's playing his cards close to his chest. The chants from the terraces and jibes from his opponents would no doubt
be too much to take.

Just re-reading that article above this is of interest,

At Celtic Park, the management is trying to keep its head down and stop the scandal interfering with play. Footballers like Peter Grant
and Tosh McKinlay - who came through the boys' club route - have nothing to say on the record.

It could be nothing more than a turn of phrase but what exactly is meant by "have nothing to say on the record." ?

Always on pm. I don’t know what they gain. But let’s look at it this way. This is an important thread. So it’s not only them that look on here. It’s also media outlets etc.
Lazy journalism get a lot of information from threads. Just my opinion

I'm starting to find all these old links again BB, they are bookmarked in various places on various devices. The thing is re-reading these old pieces is totally different now given what is known, all the parts are falling into place, there is a mountain of evidence out there.

If a group of ordinary guys like us can put together this much information (and who knows what's still to emerge?) just from googling old news reports, how much do the so-called 'professional' journalists know?

Are they just crap at their jobs, or are they deliberately withholding crucial information?

Both, I think.

Back