Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Further email to matthew coyle at the sun today (divs request lol ).

Matthew,

Hope you are well today.

Further to my previous emails to you on the historic sexual abuse committed by paedophiles in the employ of celtic.fc and its boys clubs,i have to ask this of you.

There was a man called Gerry McSherry,who handed to police scotland an extensive list of 14 names,who were allegedly commiting sexual abuse crimes against youths within celtic boys club.
Now,6 of those on the list have been convicted to date but nobody has heard anything about the remaining names on the list...almost as if it's been covered up by the police or the club to perhaps protect individuals?.
Have you been made aware of this list previously?,will you investigate this more thoroughly and publish your findings without prejudice? and will you ask questions of police scotland as to the description of the paedophile,who currently is at large with an arrest warrant out against them?.
So,at present there are at least 8 other paedophiles associated with celtic fc still at large and posing a threat to the public and youths in particular.
Perhaps you can quiz some of the elder statesmen journalists such as Hugh Keevins and others to find out what they knew of the whole historic sexual abuse crimes at celtic and why they didn't report or investigate it at the time,or even discuss it now?.
Perhaps you can also ask the football governing bodies at SFA/SPFL,why they have failed to so far,impose severe sanctions on celtic fc for bringing not only the game into serious disrepute but also shame on our countrys sporting reputation.You could even investigate the bodies past board members to see what they knew about the historic sexual abuse at one of their member clubs.

So,i have given you some pointers and would hope you can be relied on,to investigate and report.

I look forward to reading your findings.

Kind regards

Just for clarification, Thompson solicitors have no obligation to society as a whole. They only have a responsibility for doing the best financially for their clients. If that means settlement out of court and NDAs, then that is what they will recommend to their clients. I am not saying that this will happen, I am merely restating the obvious.

I believe that they are no win no fee, so bucks is their bottom line. They have no other agenda.

Ultimately what the survivors of the abuse want and accept as "justice" is the primary concern for now.

It might be that some have moved on with their life as much as they possibly could and feel an acknowledgement through payment is enough. Others might want their day in court to make sure their voice is heard. Some, even with a both those things, will rightly feel that they can never move on.

As a take on things from a step back from the horrific abuse they suffered and what they see as acceptable for their own personal requirements in terms of reparation, I think society has to hear about exactly what went on and who knew what / didn't do enough so that we can avoid a repeat of it ever again.

The two things, while ultimately separate, do require attention together.

Any children involved in the future who have to be safeguarded.

Ultimately, there has to be a balance that protects all children (present and future ones) as well as providing the victims with closure.

Taking a payout while not getting full closure and help recovering from this is detrimental to the victims it could potentially cause far greater problems, I am hoping the lawyers write in that assistance by top qualified people for recovery and NDAs are off the table altogether they help no one aside from perpetrators involved in dark deeds.

Sorry mate, but you are in no way qualified to say that at all (Actually, if you are a victim, I will fully retract that)

You and I want a public level of justice but a victim (and it has happened millions of times as proof of this) may well feel that not having to stand in the dock and recount their darkest moments in full glare of the public while receiving a sum of money that will make a tangible difference to their life might be the better option. Out of court settlements happen absolutely all the time and for that reason (well, partly that reason) so it is grossly unfair of you to place your own feelings ahead of the victim's feelings, as understandable and frustrating as that may be.

IF it is true that the solicitors are trying to negotiate a settlement that includes NDAs then it is worrying in so far as beyond financial penalties, the facilitators of widespread sexual abuse (and that is exactly what anyone who knew and failed to act is, a facilitator of child abuse) will walk away from it Scott free, not even reputational damage to individuals who most certainly deserve it.

While I understand that (edit to add 'some of') the survivors may well see themselves as better served by signing and walking away with cash, society as a whole would suffer significantly and while I am in no way qualified to even begin to try and tell victims of these animals how they should act, I personally feel that the solicitors involved have a moral duty to seek justice far and away above simply financial penalties.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, but you are in no way qualified to say that at all (Actually, if you are a victim, I will fully retract that)

You and I want a public level of justice but a victim (and it has happened millions of times as proof of this) may well feel that not having to stand in the dock and recount their darkest moments in full glare of the public while receiving a sum of money that will make a tangible difference to their life might be the better option. Out of court settlements happen absolutely all the time and for that reason (well, partly that reason) so it is grossly unfair of you to place your own feelings ahead of the victim's feelings, as understandable and frustrating as that may be.

IF it is true that the solicitors are trying to negotiate a settlement that includes NDAs then it is worrying in so far as beyond financial penalties, the facilitators of widespread sexual abuse (and that is exactly what anyone who knew and failed to act is, a facilitator of child abuse) will walk away from it Scott free, not even reputational damage to individuals who most certainly deserve it.

While I understand that (edit to add 'some of') the survivors may well see themselves as better served by signing and walking away with cash, society as a whole would suffer significantly and while I am in no way qualified to even begin to try and tell victims of these animals how they should act, I personally feel that the solicitors involved have a moral duty to seek justice far and away above simply financial penalties.

First of all we each have our own opinions as to what the victims might feel constitutes justice and all of those opinions have a degree of legitimacy. I doubt very much that anyone is conciously expressing views intended to somehow undermine the emotions of victims or the legitimacy and robustness of their cases. It contributes very little to throw such accusations around.

Personally, I take the view that pressurising victims to sign NDA's in return for a financial settlement would be both immoral and unethical. You are right to suggest some victims may nevertheless be happy with this as an outcome, however, the evidence suggests otherwise as several survivors of abuse in England have made clear from their public statements. In the case of Celtic the systematic cover-up must have worsened the ordeal for many victims. I would be surprised if they don't feel they were effectively gagged by the decades-long denials, and they probably can't wait for the day they can speak out free of the threat of accusations of 'fantasy' or lying. I would imagine for many victims being able to talk about their ordeal will be a crucial element of the recovery process and for these reasons I prefer to ignore 'rumours' as to what Thompson's have or have not done. I suspect the rumours are unfounded not least because of the risk to the legal firms reputation were such a strategy ever to become public knowledge. This is not to suggest I don't have suspicions about their handling of events, suspicions that are heightened by their apparent willingness to allow Celtic to accuse them of defamation and to let that accusation go unchallenged.

Last edited:
Admin, please delete this post if not appropriate for this thread but I feel it is pertinent to the overall perspective that opinions and law are hardening to the perpetrators of child sexual abuse.

News just in from down here in Australia.

Cardinal George Pell’s six year jail sentence for child sexual abuse convictions will be upheld after his appeal at Victoria’s Court of Appeal was dismissed.

The decision was delivered at the Court of Appeal on Wednesday morning by Chief Justice Anne Ferguson in front of a packed court room.

The appeal was rejected in a two to one majority decision, with Justice Ferguson and Justice Chris Maxwell voting to reject the appeal.

Justice Mark Weinberg opposed their decision, saying the convictions could not stand due to the evidence presented in Cardinal Pell’s defence, Justice Ferguson said.

Cardinal Pell, 78, was convicted in December of five charges over the rape of one 13-year-old choirboy and sexual assault of another at St Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne in 1996.

He was sentenced in March to six years in prison, to serve three years and eight months before becoming eligible for parole.

There is more to the article but ending it here.

This is disturbing viewing. From an American Catholic lawyer explaining how the RC church tries to corrupt trials involving child abuse in the USA.

Not a victim mate but know enough folk who have been through bad situations and ended up in a bad way through getting cash and no other support either caused by drink or drugs used to numb themselves.

Not all survivors will take the settlement - hopefully someone takes them all the way, even those who do take the settlement deserve the closure of an apology, and an inquiry.

First of all we each have our own opinions as to what the victims might feel constitutes justice and all of those opinions have a degree of legitimacy. I doubt very much that anyone is conciously expressing views intended to somehow undermine the emotions of victims or the legitimacy and robustness of their cases. It contributes very little to throw such accusations around.

Personally, I take the view that pressurising victims to sign NDA's in return for a financial settlement would be both immoral and unethical. You are right to suggest some victims may nevertheless be happy with this as an outcome, however, the evidence suggests otherwise as several survivors of abuse in England have made clear from their public statements. In the case of Celtic the systematic cover-up must have worsened the ordeal for many victims. I would be surprised if they don't feel they were effectively gagged by the decades-long denials, and they probably can't wait for the day they can speak out free of the threat of accusations of 'fantasy' or lying. I would imagine for many victims being able to talk about their ordeal will be a crucial element of the recovery process and for these reasons I prefer to ignore 'rumours' as to what Thompson's have or have not done. I suspect the rumours are unfounded not least because of the risk to the legal firms reputation were such a strategy ever to become public knowledge. This is not to suggest I don't have suspicions about their handling of events, suspicions that are heightened by their apparent willingness to allow Celtic to accuse them of defamation and to let that accusation go unchallenged.
In an ideal world it would only take one brave soul (and I firmly believe that there will be more) to go through court procedures and set a precedent so many more wouldn't have to. In no way shape or form should NDAs be approved as it again is being used to belittle the victims they should be allowed to have their say on ANY platform of their choosing as it will gain them massive amounts of support and aid in the healing process the world has to know how deep this goes and in my opinion the ONLY people qualified to do this are the victims and their families, for the good of society.

... I suspect the rumours are unfounded not least because of the risk to the legal firms reputation were such a strategy ever to become public knowledge. This is not to suggest I don't have suspicions about their handling of events, suspicions that are heightened by their apparent willingness to allow Celtic to accuse them of defamation and to let that accusation go unchallenged.
Bluster from Celtc, if Thompson's had said anything defamatory, they would at least have been made to make a public retraction and an apology. Celtc are in effect letting the accusation go unchallenged

Last edited:
For myself I can't demand that a victim stands up in a witness box and tells the whole world his most inner secrets, stuff that he has hidden from, family and friends, these are men now, and I can only say that will be one of the biggest choices they will ever make, in their life time, I will respect that choice, no matter what they do, we must remember at all times, the survivors are our first and last concern always.

For myself I can't demand that a victim stands up in a witness box and tells the whole world his most inner secrets, stuff that he has hidden from, family and friends, these are men now, and I can only say that will be one of the biggest choices they will ever make, in their life time, I will respect that choice, no matter what they do, we must remember at all times, the survivors are our first and last concern always.

I have to say that I think that some posters are getting a little presumptuous as to what is or is not acceptable for the victims to agree.

It is entirely up to each and every one of them to decide what they want to do, whether it be compensation, compensation with apology, compensation with NDA or court appearances.

The wider issues as to culpability and consequences of the cover up and sanctions for such actions and inactions is a separate matter. It may have great deal of bearing as to actual pay outs, but those additional sanctions should come from governing bodies.

Last edited:
In an ideal world it would only take one brave soul (and I firmly believe that there will be more) to go through court procedures and set a precedent so many more wouldn't have to. In no way shape or form should NDAs be approved as it again is being used to belittle the victims they should be allowed to have their say on ANY platform of their choosing as it will gain them massive amounts of support and aid in the healing process the world has to know how deep this goes and in my opinion the ONLY people qualified to do this are the victims and their families, for the good of society.

An NDA is absolutely worthless. Does anyone genuinely think that because a victim when they were a child / their parent signed a bit of paper saying that they admonished Celtic / accepted compensation under the table for child abuse has any worth in the court of law? If anything, an NDA makes their case stronger.
Can you imagine Celtic’s defence, “yeah but we had an NDA” “case dismissed!”?
It is lunacy to think any NDA is worth anything to Celtic other than it being a psychological weapon.

An NDA is absolutely worthless. Does anyone genuinely think that because a victim when they were a child / their parent signed a bit of paper saying that they admonished Celtic / accepted compensation under the table for child abuse has any worth in the court of law? If anything, an NDA makes their case stronger.
It is lunacy to think any NDA is worth anything to Celtic other than it being a psychological weapon.
Exactly I think you are bang on with the weapon part mate but I honestly wouldn't put it past them, not many people are clued up in Legalese and many could potentially feel threatened into silence in the self same way the R.C cult used a bastardised form salvation.

Not to get away from the good work that people are doing in trying to help victims get some real justice I was just thinking, how many of these perverts would have or had wives or female partners ?

Statistics could well prove something in this respect, I also wonder what the wives of these directors and players think about their partners covering up these crimes, surely some of them would have knowledge of it? And surely they wouldn't as mothers themselves, allow this to go on unchallenged.Similarities to scurrilous accusations and the CFC / CBC cover up in this video.

Last edited:
Totally agree! NDAs serve one purpose and that is silence, these bastards have got away with this for so long because of silence by the vile sleazebags in Celtics board.

Not to get away from the good work that people are doing in trying to help victims get some real justice I was just thinking, how many of these perverts would have or had wives or female partners ?

Statistics could well prove something in this respect, I also wonder what the wives of these directors and players think about their partners covering up these crimes, surely some of them would have knowledge of it? And surely they wouldn't as mothers themselves, allow this to go on unchallenged.Similarities to scurrilous accusations and the CFC? CBC cover up in this video.
Goes right to the very top in that cult.

Totally agree! NDAs serve one purpose and that is silence, these bastards have got away with this for so long because of silence by the vile sleazebags in Celtics board.

NDAs are common in out-of court settlements and they can be traded for more money. If you have a choice of 50k without an NDA or 60k with one, which do you choose?

I don't think we should be second guessing what each victim would or would not choose to do. Punishment for the cover up should come through the criminal justice system and through SFA/UEFA sanctions.

Most of us are not lawyers and therefore find it hard to understand most of the legalese. I certainly do. I do believe that any victims accepting payments in private or even signing NDAs because they do not want to attend a court of Law are perfectly within their rights to do so. I am sure most of us will feel that way. However, even if every victim goes down that road I fail to see why that should prevent a full public enquiry by the Government. Either UK or Scottish. It should also not prevent a similar enquiry by the Scottish Football Authorities. I think this scum club are being well protected by both Government and MSM. I also think they have the backing of a Worldwide institution which has huge experience in covering up child molestation. Unfortunately, I don't believe they will receive the punishment they deserve. I can't think of any other time when I wanted to be wrong about something as much as this. The people on this forum who are working so hard to bring them to task have my complete admiration and support. Perhaps I would feel differently if I lived in a normal country.

The part in bold is what I am addressing here. The rest is your opinion, mine differs slightly but not anywhere near the point where it is worthy of derailing the thread at all so I think it best left?

The rumour has kind of expanded a little to include one of the victims having shown a few people a letter he received from his solicitors stating exactly what was suggested. apparently this victim has now spoken to a member of the press so we will either have it cleared up shortly, or we will not!

Statistics could well prove something in this respect, I also wonder what the wives of these directors and players think about their partners covering up these crimes, surely some of them would have knowledge of it? And surely they wouldn't as mothers themselves, allow this to go on unchallenged.Similarities to scurrilous accusations and the CFC / CBC cover up in this video.
Hi Nemessis, I think this video deserves a new thread and should be shown far and wide. I totally agree that the similarities of coverup and deflection are, without question deliberate and premeditated. You could easily replace any of the people involved in the 60min investigation with those involved at CBC and come out with the same conclusion and the same documentary.

Children were abused and the adults responsible with looking after them did nothing to protect them, did nothing to stop the perpetrators and did nothing to prevent them from doing it again. They have however, done everything to hide and protect both the perpetrators and the organisations that they represent. Very sad, criminal but morally bankrupt and truly rotten.

Tommy well played mate as usual

Now the guy has asked for more questions why don’t you ask him to investigate Gerry McSherry and the 14 man list in more detail and of the 6 already convicted were they on the list

Ask him to ask PS why haven’t they released a description of the 7th man connected to CBC who has a warrant out for his arrest?
There should be a description,he is a danger to children

Surely you just cant commit a crime and then when you are caught just flash the cash

NDA’s purpose is to stop it getting that far.

Agreed the hacks know who he is,and could be still abusing elsewhere.

This is strange this one,seems no one is interested in this guy ffs.

I genuinely question whether this guy exists. Remember, the ScotGov et all can’t disclose any information on the whole affair or carry out any investigation which may affect a “live case”. As long as this mystery man is out there, they can use his existence as an excuse for not having to say anything. Hence, I question whether he exists at all.

I was informed about this thread by a friend and have followed it with interest.
My deepest sympathy goes out to victims of abuse who have had to carry this awful burden throughout their lives. I only hope they get the justice that they deserve and that the perpetrators get the punishment that they deserve.
I haven’t posted before now as didn’t think I could add any constructive value but it’s been eaten away at me and I would like to add something even if it’s just to offer my concerns. Please excuse my grammar as it isn’t my strongest trait. Here goes...
I just HOPE that the abused victims and their survivors (strength in numbers) have the STRENGTH to ignore the “NDA” aspect and more importantly not to be ashamed ,feel guilty, belittled, embarrassed etc...no words can described exactly how they feel but please realise that the only hope for children now and the future is that this is brought out in the open by an ‘INDEPENDANT OPEN ENQUIRY’...and the abusers and in my eyes even worse, if that’s possible, the CO-CONSPIRITORS (worse than vermin that they are...) get the full punishment that they deserve.
Surely the NDA’s aspect of compensation in relation to abuse should be challenged in court as it is not in the public interest and would appear to be a cover up. If NDA’s apply in the case of abuse, then we as a society have failed ourselves and more importantly our children. The so called justice minister should be insisting that the victims are compensated appropriately regardless of NDA’s.
If MONEY is allowed to circumvent justice by abusers and co-conspirators then as a nation/society we’re FCUKED big time.

I was informed about this thread by a friend and have followed it with interest.
My deepest sympathy goes out to victims of abuse who have had to carry this awful burden throughout their lives. I only hope they get the justice that they deserve and that the perpetrators get the punishment that they deserve.
I haven’t posted before now as didn’t think I could add any constructive value but it’s been eaten away at me and I would like to add something even if it’s just to offer my concerns. Please excuse my grammar as it isn’t my strongest trait. Here goes...
I just HOPE that the abused victims and their survivors (strength in numbers) have the STRENGTH to ignore the “NDA” aspect and more importantly not to be ashamed ,feel guilty, belittled, embarrassed etc...no words can described exactly how they feel but please realise that the only hope for children now and the future is that this is brought out in the open by an ‘INDEPENDANT OPEN ENQUIRY’...and the abusers and in my eyes even worse, if that’s possible, the CO-CONSPIRITORS (worse than vermin that they are...) get the full punishment that they deserve.
Surely the NDA’s aspect of compensation in relation to abuse should be challenged in court as it is not in the public interest and would appear to be a cover up. If NDA’s apply in the case of abuse, then we as a society have failed ourselves and more importantly our children. The so called justice minister should be insisting that the victims are compensated appropriately regardless of NDA’s.
If MONEY is allowed to circumvent justice by abusers and co-conspirators then as a nation/society we’re FCUKED big time.

This country is already fecked,when the tims are allowed to hang effigies at there shitpit and then evidence is lost and the perpetrators allowed protection from inside the P.F.s offices.

I’m sure that after the Harvey Weinstein and Phillip Green fallout, you now can’t use NDAs to cover up a crime like sexual harassment or assault.

My view on it is that nda's are for civil litigation cases.

However, where there is a crime or offence that is or is likely to be part of a criminal investigation should a complainer or witness come forward, then where an accused or party acting on behalf of the accused, offers some sort of inducement or threat to hinder the course of justice, then that would be an Attempt to pervert the course of justice.

Where there are criminal proceedings actually underway in a live criminal case and said parties attempt to coerse complainers / witnesses into not giving or altering evidence then that would be attempt subornation of perjury and would be a case most probably heard in front of a jury.

Good first post mate.

Excellent post mate. Welcome to FF

Latest posts

Back