Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Fellow Bears

There is no need to spoil a beautiful Sunday morning being vexed by this not very subtle "exclusive" smear story.

Anyone - at anytime - who throws this in your face the response is simple. So you will be happy to join in the petition to the Scottish Government for a full independent inquiry into historical child abuse within Scottish football. End of.

Fellow Bears

There is no need to spoil a beautiful Sunday morning being vexed by this not very subtle "exclusive" smear story.

Anyone - at anytime - who throws this in your face the response is simple. So you will be happy to join in the petition to the Scottish Government for a full independent inquiry into historical child abuse within Scottish football. End of.
There’s nothing to be thrown in anybody’s face!

There’s are loads of clubs across the UK who were unfortunately enough to have a predator gain employment with them,these clubs aren’t guilty of anything and aren’t being accused of anything.We are one of them.He was dealt with correctly when we were made aware of him.

The clubs who will and are finding themselves in serious trouble are those who facilitated and covered up these monsters.

This isn’t a hard concept to understand so I’m not quite sure why folk are kicking off.We’ve known for a long time Hibs passed Neely onto us and we’ve also known for a long time the club dealt with him correctly and aren’t being accused of covering anything up by the authorities or any victims.

Celtic are in deep,deep sh!t over what went on there over 4 decades involving rings,cover ups and dodgy dealings hence multiple convictions and victims on an industrial scale plus being the centre of documentaries and hopefully an independent inquiry.

I hope all victims get justice at all clubs but nobody is accusing our club of anything underhand or deliberate so let’s just stop and take a moment to see the reality of the situation.

Was this lad abused by Neely whilst at Rangers ? I hope we do the right thing by him if he was .
Yes.I believe it was the lad who we offered councilling to but told him if he was seeking compensation to speak the the liquidators of OldCo.

As I’ve said,no one is accusing the club of covering anything up or knowing about him at the time.I understand legally there are issues with historic compensation and the change of ownership but I hope we find away around it and lead by example.

There’s are loads of clubs across the UK who were unfortunately enough to have a predator gain employment with them,these clubs aren’t guilty of anything and aren’t being accused of anything.We are one of them.He was dealt with correctly when we were made aware of him.

The clubs who will and are finding themselves in serious trouble are those who facilitated and covered up these monsters.

This isn’t a hard concept to understand so I’m not quite sure why folk are kicking off.We’ve known for a long time Hibs passed Neely onto us and we’ve also known for a long time the club dealt with him correctly and aren’t being accused of covering anything up by the authorities or any victims.

Celtic are in deep,deep sh!t over what went on there over 4 decades involving rings,cover ups and dodgy dealings hence multiple convictions and victims on an industrial scale plus being the centre of documentaries and hopefully an independent inquiry.

I hope all victims get justice at all clubs but nobody is accusing our club of anything underhand or deliberate so let’s just stop and take a moment to see the reality of the situation.

Another point is that not only did Rangers report and sack him, we seem to have put an end to his career in football.

There’s other questions that need answered though, like did Neely and Cairney have a similar arrangement when he was at Hibs?

Another point is that not only did Rangers report and sack him, we seem to have put an end to his career in football.

There’s other questions that need answered though, like did Neely and Cairney have a similar arrangement when he was at Hibs?
I don’t know the answer to that mate but it wouldn’t be hard to imagine considering they(Celtic)were shipping poor victims down to Bennell at Crewe.

Yes.I believe it was the lad who we offered councilling to but told him if he was seeking compensation to speak the the liquidators of OldCo.

As I’ve said,no one is accusing the club of covering anything up or knowing about him at the time.I understand legally there are issues with historic compensation and the change of ownership but I hope we find away around it and lead by example.

Good post H and totally agree,we should be proactive lead the way and work with any survivors that arrive at our doorstep with accusations anyone connected to RFC.

But let’s stick to the facts,we have not lead an industrial scale peado ring and cover up,we have delt with this rightly at that time and his past was not only disclosed to us but it looks horrible.

I hope the club would speak up any lies stuck out here,either way I’m sorry for what this poor fella has been through,no one deserves that whatsoever of what footy team you played for as a kid.

The article is hardly very damning of Rangers.

It’s states we had no knowledge of what Neely was and how we dealt with him when we were made aware.

Correct the below statement all be it you dont see the reported to police until very botton but still there.

" A spokesman said: “On one occasion the parents of a boy approached Rangers because Neely had spoken inappropriately. Neely was dismissed immediately and reported to the police.

"It was important Rangers took both steps without delay to address this matter.”

Celtic declined to comment.

Rangers did what was correct and reported to police. I agree the wording of this story could have been clearer at thr start but that doesnt sell papers.

Just reading it in The Scottish Sun(don’t usually). Very last paragraph shows the difference between us and them.

A spokesman said: “On one occasion the parents of a boy approached Rangers because Neely had spoken inappropriately. Neely was dismissed imme diately and reported to the police.
"It was important Rangers took both steps without delay to address this matter.”

Good post H and totally agree,we should be proactive lead the way and work with any survivors that arrive at our doorstep with accusations anyone connected to RFC.

But let’s stick to the facts,we have not lead an industrial scale peado ring and cover up,we have delt with this rightly at that time and his past was not only disclosed to us but it looks horrible.

I hope the club would speak up any lies stuck out here,either way I’m sorry for what this poor fella has been through,no one deserves that whatsoever of what footy team you played for as a kid.
I would like to think that we as a community and club will do the right thing and give the victims all the help and support they need should any more come forward ,I welcome an independent inquiry into the sexual abuse of children in football as should all decent people no matter what team you support.

“On one occasion the parents of a boy approached Rangers because Neely had spoken inappropriately. Neely was dismissed immediately and reported to the police.

All you need to know right there. We fired and reported him.

You’ve got it in ONE IBN.

Exactly what you want want any club or company to do.

Celtic PR team kick in.

MONSTERS UNITED Footie beasts Gordon Neely and Frank Cairney hatched plot for Celtic Boys Club players to train at Rangers
Exclusive
  • Oliver Norton
  • Marcello Mega

• 24 Aug 2019, 22:26
  • Updated: 24 Aug 2019, 22:39
FOOTIE beasts Gordon Neely and Frank Cairney hatched a plot for Celtic Boys Club players to train at Rangers, The Scottish Sun on Sunday can reveal.
The depraved coaches joined forces for the exchange deal involving around 12 starlets in 1986.
Torbett, left, and Cairney, right, flank team on pitch
Sex abuse campaigner Andi Lavery, 46, said: “We need a robust inquiry into these dark matters.”
Andi claims kids accused Scots organisations of not protecting youngsters and glossing over twisted predators’ actions.
The campaigner, of sexual abuse survivors’ group White Flowers Alba, said the development “underlines the clubs involved bear a significant duty of care to anyone harmed”.
Andi, who has been physically threatened for speaking out on behalf of all victims, added: “While it screams for a judge-led examination of all child abuse in community settings and its impact — be it sports clubs, schools or the NHS — sadly I expect yet more soft soaping and meaningless platitudes. Scotland failed these children then and it’s failing victims today.”
Lawyers of Celtic Boys Club child abuse victim accuse Celtic of ‘legally classifying survivors’
Neely and Cairney’s scheme was announced in 1986 and hailed as an anti-sectarian exchange for the next generation of Old Firm players.
A news article unearthed from the time said a dozen Celtic Boys Club players had been taken to Ibrox to train at least once a week.
Disgraced former coach Neely
The five-year plan involved a network of coaches across Scotland and the north of England.
Neely, who joined Gers from Hibs, said at the time: “We now have boys of all religions at Ibrox.
Predator Cairney was locked upCredit: Tom Farmer
“When I took the job, neither chairman David Holmes nor player-manager Graeme Souness mentioned religion. It doesn’t matter to my job and it doesn’t matter to me.
“I go to a training night and I honestly don’t know who is what religion.
“But you’re always going to get parents who are a bit wary.
“I’ve had cases where a boy’s parents said to me, ‘What do you want him for? He’s a Catholic’.
“I reply that it makes no difference to me or to Rangers.”
Cairney was quoted in the same article backing the training scheme.
YEARS OF ABUSE EXPOSED
THE Scottish Sun on Sunday has led the way in uncovering years of historic footie abuse.
We revealed in 2016 that Rangers chiefs booted out kids’ coach Neely over sex allegations in 1990.
Victim Colin Anderson branded him the “Jimmy Savile of football”, claiming he was raped aged 13 by the monster at Edinburgh’s Hutchison Vale Boys Club.
He added: “I was trapped between my love for the club and my abuser.”
Ibrox predator Harry Dunn was unmasked the following year after brave victim Darren Mixon broke his silence. The plant hire worker said 25-stone youth scout Dunn got him drunk and tried to rape him at 16 in 1984.
The fiend was found dead aged 85 while waiting to stand trial accused of preying on two players. Cops said there were no suspicious circumstances.
Officers later revealed the number of victims feared to have been targeted by Dunn had quadrupled to eight.
And victims of Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett demanded Celtic apologise over their ordeal after he was caged for a second time in November.
Hoops chiefs belatedly expressed “deep regret” but emphasised the difference between the clubs.
He said: “We do not discriminate in any way. Out of the 100 or so boys in our teams, I could not tell you the religion of any of them.
“We’re given facilities free of charge by Celtic Football Club, so we would like to think that Celtic will still get first option of any of our players. In saying that, I have no objection to any of my boys joining any Rangers training scheme.”
Neely said he’d take lads as young as 12 and that they could be signed on schoolboy “S” forms which tied them to the club once they turned 13.
However, the Ibrox giants sacked the monster after a boy made abuse allegations against him in 1990.
Jim Torbett was caged for a second time in NovemberCredit: Spindrift Photo Agency
The shock training ground revelations sparked a backlash.
Whistleblower Gerry McSherry, 67, who first raised concerns about paedos targeting young footballers in the mid 1990s, said: “Questions not only have to be asked about this Cairney and Neely collaboration but, of far greater importance, those questions need to be answered.
“It matters for all victims of child sexual abuse that they’re totally vindicated, irrespective of how long it takes.”
Squad toasts cup success in Hoops’ dressing room bath
Ex-Rangers youth John Laidlaw — who previously revealed a pal of 13 was raped by coach Neely at Hutchison Vale Boys Club in Edinburgh — also hit out.
John, 51, of the city’s Danderhall, said: “It’s coming out bit by bit, and somebody needs to pull everything together.”
And a source close to several victims added: “There was an arrangement between Neely and Cairney so Celtic boys could train at Ibrox. These men were dangerous individuals. Serious questions need to be asked about this connection.”
Cairney was “cleared” of wrongdoing following an internal Celtic probe in 1986 — the same year his training plot with Neely kicked off.

Footballer paedo Adam Johnson ‘desperate for comeback as coach or agent but fears teen girl conviction could stop him’

But the beast, now 84, was jailed for four years in February for preying on eight youngsters in the 1980s.

Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett, ex-coach Jim McCafferty and former chairman Gerald King have also been convicted of abuse.

Evil Neely — branded the “Jimmy Savile of football” — died in 2014 aged 62 before he could face justice.

Celtic last week agreed a compo deal with a former youth player after he was sexually abused by McCafferty, 73, who also worked as a Hoops kitman.

The club has always insisted the Boys Club was a separate entity.

Rangers insisted they have “no knowledge of this scheme”.

Marcello Mega- he's worth watching

Very well put mate.

It’s not nice to read this stuff but Rangers behaved the way we would all have hoped. We got rid of the guy because of a comment made, never mind ant sexual allegation.

Last edited:
Correct the below statement all be it you dont see the reported to police until very botton but still there.

" A spokesman said: “On one occasion the parents of a boy approached Rangers because Neely had spoken inappropriately. Neely was dismissed immediately and reported to the police.

Rangers did what was correct and reported to police. I agree the wording of this story could have been clearer at thr start but that doesnt sell papers.

Well said SDP.

Gents, I posted in the stand closure thread trying to dissuade some of our less thinking members from trying to substitute singing about the sickening events at the Celtic Boys Club in place of fucking the pope etc.

It looks like this idea is growing in popularity - I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for the people who are putting in the work to make a similar plea.

If these people succeed and turn next Sunday into some sort of paedo karaoke then I fear everything that has been done by you will be easily brushed off as 'sick rangers fans point scoring' by the compliant media.

Gents, I posted in the stand closure thread trying to dissuade some of our less thinking members from trying to substitute singing about the sickening events at the Celtic Boys Club in place of fucking the pope etc.

It looks like this idea is growing in popularity - I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for the people who are putting in the work to make a similar plea.

If these people succeed and turn next Sunday into some sort of paedo karaoke then I fear everything that has been done by you will be easily brushed off as 'sick rangers fans point scoring' by the compliant media.
Couldn't agree more mate. We should leave it out as the good work that has been done on here will go out the window & that would be a crying shame.
The no comment from celtic tells you everything regarding this.

You also told us an "explosive " story was about to hit only to be pulled at the last minute by the Daily Record.

Pardon me if I take anything you have to say with a very large pinch of salt.

Haining has probably forgot more about this case than you'll ever know pal. You are being incredibly disrespectful, which is hardly surprising as you seem to be inconsistent in your posts. you go from one extreme to the other. Why is that?

Haining has been consistent in his, yet you want to have a pop at him. Not having it pal. Show the man some respect and at least have some manners if you can't do that. Unbelievable!

I, for one, am watching you.

Haining has probably forgot more about this case than you'll ever know pal. You are being incredibly disrespectful, which is hardly surprising as you seem to be inconsistent in your posts. you go from one extreme to the other. Why is that?

Haining has been consistent in his, yet you want to have a pop at him. Not having it pal. Show the man some respect and at least have some manners if you can't do that. Unbelievable!

I, for one, am watching you.

Good post TS. Haining has been fantastic on this thread.

Celtic boys sent to train with ‘abuser’ at Ibrox
Emma Yeomans
August 26 2019, 12:01am, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fb28c9116-c784-11e9-90cd-b66cf1743616.jpg

Players from the Boys Club trained once a week at Ibrox in the 1980sJANE BARLOW/PA

Save

Child abuse survivors have made fresh calls for an inquiry into historical abuse at Celtic Boys Club after was discovered that young players were sent to train with a Rangers coach accused of abusing boys.

An article from 1986 revealed the scheme in which players from the Boys Club trained at least once a week at Ibrox. Billed as an anti-sectarian initiative, it was led by Gordon Neely, who was sacked by Rangers in 1990 after allegations of inappropriate behaviour, and Frank Cairney, who was jailed in February this year for abusing young players. Neely died in 2014 having never been formally accused.

Cairney had been accused of abuse and was cleared by Celtic in 1986.

Andi Lavery, a campaigner in England and Wales, said: “Sadly I expect yet more soft-soaping and meaningless platitudes. Scotland failed these children then and it’s failing victims today.”

A spokesman for Rangers told The Sun that they had no knowledge of the scheme. “The parents of a boy approached Rangers because Neely had spoken inappropriately,” he said. “Neely was dismissed immediately and reported to the police.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-boys-sent-to-train-with-abuser-at-Ibrox-zq9629gl3

That above is proof beyond any doubt that Hollicom are stirring the shit. I know you are looking you nosey bastards. This is not going away. Tick tock for your shameless, vile, morally bankrupt employers. When a Bear gets his teeth into something, he doesn't let go.
Hollicom aren’t doing their job right then mate when their meant to be behind stories starting “child abuse survivors have made fresh calls for an inquiry into historical child sex abuse at Celtic boys club”

Hollicom aren’t doing their job right then mate when their meant to be behind stories starting “child abuse survivors have made fresh calls for an inquiry into historical child sex abuse at Celtic boys club”

Other than corrupt journalists I am struggling to come up with another answer mate. To have our club gates on a photograph on an article associated with child sex abuse is beyond the pale. There is no level they will not stoop

Celtic boys sent to train with ‘abuser’ at Ibrox
Emma Yeomans
August 26 2019, 12:01am, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fb28c9116-c784-11e9-90cd-b66cf1743616.jpg

Players from the Boys Club trained once a week at Ibrox in the 1980sJANE BARLOW/PA

Save

Child abuse survivors have made fresh calls for an inquiry into historical abuse at Celtic Boys Club after was discovered that young players were sent to train with a Rangers coach accused of abusing boys.

An article from 1986 revealed the scheme in which players from the Boys Club trained at least once a week at Ibrox. Billed as an anti-sectarian initiative, it was led by Gordon Neely, who was sacked by Rangers in 1990 after allegations of inappropriate behaviour, and Frank Cairney, who was jailed in February this year for abusing young players. Neely died in 2014 having never been formally accused.

Cairney had been accused of abuse and was cleared by Celtic in 1986.

Andi Lavery, a campaigner in England and Wales, said: “Sadly I expect yet more soft-soaping and meaningless platitudes. Scotland failed these children then and it’s failing victims today.”

A spokesman for Rangers told The Sun that they had no knowledge of the scheme. “The parents of a boy approached Rangers because Neely had spoken inappropriately,” he said. “Neely was dismissed immediately and reported to the police.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-boys-sent-to-train-with-abuser-at-Ibrox-zq9629gl3
I’m sure that more knowledgeable people than myself will scrutinise every word in that article and expose it for the rantings of a Rangers hating bigot. Questions must be asked regarding this so called article as it seems to be more fictional than fact. Especially the quote that Neely was known as the Jimmy Saville of football. Why was he known as this and by whom. Was it another open secret in Scottish football. Why was he allowed to join Rangers if he was a known abuser at his previous club. We want an enquiry regarding these so called findings. The truth must come out.

I’m sure that more knowledgeable people than myself will scrutinise every word in that article and expose it for the rantings of a Rangers hating bigot. Questions must be asked regarding this so called article as it seems to be more fictional than fact. Especially the quote that Neely was known as the Jimmy Saville of football. Why was he known as this and by whom. Was it another open secret in Scottish football. Why was he allowed to join Rangers if he was a known abuser at his previous club. We want an enquiry regarding these so called findings. The truth must come out.

Spot on, abillyt,

There’s only one club in Scotland (maybe two) who don’t want an independent inquiry into child sex abuse in football.

Funnily enough, they both play in green and grey.

How could Neely ever be known as the ‘Jimmy Saville’ of football ?

Neely’s career was toast before Saville was uncovered.
The fly helicon bastards forget that the 6 already involved in the celtic paedo ring are jimmy savile to the power of 10. A reprehensible low-down deflecting attempt to link us with a dodgy character will not work. By doing that we see just how immoral that lot are (as if we needed any more evidence). I despair for what this country has allowed itself to become and it's all down to that bastard church and it's children.

Did people even talk about jimmy savile being a paedophile in those days

A question about this "anti sectarian exchange" of youth players that Neely and Cairney supposedly hatched.
It says in the article that Celtic boys were sent to Ibrox once a week but no mention that any of our boys went over to Barrowfield? Surely an exchange would suggest that should have happened?

Did people even talk about jimmy savile being a paedophile in those days
Seem to recall that there were a number of articles on the internet stating that Savile had been shunned by the highland community due to suspicions that he was a paedophile.When the real story broke all of the articles magically 'disappeared' from any searches.Call it crisis management if you like, but I know that searches that I was able to access at one stage were no longer available when I tried to access them.

So he was known as the Jimmy Savile of football despite him being out of football before Savile was exposed ?

Is that what you are saying Hollicom ? :cool:

This is the big thing for me. The minute the suspicion was on any of them, their career working with boys should have been over.

The fact they were able to move from club to club and no one doing anything about it, by giving an other club the "dirt" so to speak is outrageous.

Back