Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Cullen worked there for 30 years, the 250 pictures were thought to have been taken the early part of 1982. My own thoughts on how they were found stashed all those years later is that they were put there for safekeeping at some point.
Two things I would suggest are either it was Cullen himself who forgot they were there due to the amount of images taken over his 30 year career. Or he had passed that 1982 group of images on to someone else who had access to the cupboard.
Either way there is no doubt in my mind that those 250 images were not the only ones taken.

CHILDREN'S campaigners hit out last night after a Celtic FC photographer who stashed pictures of naked boys at the club's stadium dodged jail.

John Cullen, who worked for official club magazine The Celtic View, took children aged 10-13 back to a house before making them pose for the camera.

The pervert was only caught 20 years later when Celtic Park cleaners found a bin bag stuffed with the photos in a room where he kept his equipment. They alerted club chiefs, who called in cops.

Married dad-of-two Cullen had snapped some of the club's greatest players and memorable moments in a 30-year career.

Yet no one knew of his sordid secret until the photos were found in May 2002.

Cullen, from Glasgow, was sacked and pleaded guilty to lewd and libidinous conduct in March this year. Despite a police search, his victims - who he photogra-phed in 1982 - have not been identified.

Celtic was rocked by a similar scandal in 1998 when former boys' club boss Jim Torbett was jailed for sexually abusing three young players in the 1960s and 70s.

Yesterday, at Glasgow Sheriff Court, Cullen, 49, walked free after being given three years' probation.

Children's groups immediately attacked the leniency of the sentence.

A spokeswoman for Children 1st said: "It is essential that offending behaviour is addressed and that offenders are not released back on to the streets to repeat such crimes against children.

"We must show children they can come forward to tell about their experiences."

CAPTION(S):

SORDID: Cullen hid pictures at stadium
This must be raised again by the parents-- most importantly the female parents who will do anything for their kids and not like certain families for their Team--GCFC--Glasgow Celtic Football Club --40 years of abuse --still hiding it all --for 40 years --the guys pursuing these bstds need our love and more importantly , the abused need our help--lets get these people justice --not just from CFC , also SFA and Scotland's peadophile justice, System , which is at at present a peadophile dream , being convicted in Ecosse is a dream , has scary eyed McKay been convicted yet , or still getting a handsome wage from Holyrood

Cullen worked there for 30 years, the 250 pictures were thought to have been taken the early part of 1982. My own thoughts on how they were found stashed all those years later is that they were put there for safekeeping at some point.
Two things I would suggest are either it was Cullen himself who forgot they were there due to the amount of images taken over his 30 year career. Or he had passed that 1982 group of images on to someone else who had access to the cupboard.
Either way there is no doubt in my mind that those 250 images were not the only ones taken.

CHILDREN'S campaigners hit out last night after a Celtic FC photographer who stashed pictures of naked boys at the club's stadium dodged jail.

John Cullen, who worked for official club magazine The Celtic View, took children aged 10-13 back to a house before making them pose for the camera.

The pervert was only caught 20 years later when Celtic Park cleaners found a bin bag stuffed with the photos in a room where he kept his equipment. They alerted club chiefs, who called in cops.

Married dad-of-two Cullen had snapped some of the club's greatest players and memorable moments in a 30-year career.

Cullen, from Glasgow, was sacked and pleaded guilty to lewd and libidinous conduct in March this year. Despite a police search, his victims - who he photogra-phed in 1982 - have not been identified.

Celtic was rocked by a similar scandal in 1998 when former boys' club boss Jim Torbett was jailed for sexually abusing three young players in the 1960s and 70s.

Yesterday, at Glasgow Sheriff Court, Cullen, 49, walked free after being given three years' probation.

A spokeswoman for Children 1st said: "It is essential that offending behaviour is addressed and that offenders are not released back on to the streets to repeat such crimes against children.

CAPTION(S):

"They alerted club chiefs, who called in cops."

Is that correct? I had it in my memory that the cleaner went to the police after Celtic did nothing. I might be wrong.

"They alerted club chiefs, who called in cops."

Is that correct? I had it in my memory that the cleaner went to the police after Celtic did nothing. I might be wrong.
I think in this case somebody from Celtic did phone the police. Probably annoyed them having to do it right enough.

For the sake of clarification, the boys who were preyed on bear no shame, they were innocent victims. The shame is CELTICS' SHAME, and it seems to be growing .
no one hear will ever doubt it is the kids fault , they were innocent kids hoping for a dream clearly CFC's people in charge had a clear visions for the gifted , the rest were collateral , shortly it will be proved the collateral will be the poor kids abused ,watch this space xxxxx

CAPTION(S):

Yes so sad --married with a wife and 2 children , Cullen was a nasty bstd , and we have asked' has anyone found this bstd --- a guy who had 250 nude picture of kids at CFC during the abuse ----Torbett and Cairney or was it McCaferrty another BVheast or maybe Shrachan In Edinburgh or one of the Kelly's or McGhinn's --so many to choose from a club like their church --BUILT FROM ROME

How the decent Celtic fans (no laughing at the back) aren't up in arms about this is beyond me. If this was a club or organisation I had a vested interest in, I would be furious/disgusted if information of such a cover up was coming out.

I know all rivals think they're better than the other side but, the deafening silence from the other side of the city truly shows them up for being the contemptible scum we've always believed them to be.
Their silence is deafening and just how many decent ones there is, not a fucking lot. :mad:

Yes so sad --married with a wife and 2 children , Cullen was a nasty bstd , and we have asked' has anyone found this bstd --- a guy who had 250 nude picture of kids at CFC during the abuse ----Torbett and Cairney or was it McCaferrty another BVheast or maybe Shrachan In Edinburgh or one of the Kelly's or McGhinn's --so many to choose from a club like their church --BUILT FROM ROME
Good post Donny.

Problem is Grigo that it should be everyone’s feelings not just us bears, we all have children and would do our utmost for them, that is unless you are a member of that cult
I’ve said similar a thousand times and still don’t get the answer I should be getting.
I‘ve asked many a football fan how they’d feel if it were them and theirs and they’ve all expressed and emphasised the brutality of their vengeance.
I’ve then asked why they don't feel the same way towards the scum and they’ll say we, Rangers fans, only feel like that because it’s septic and the RC church.
Well, no, I protest.
We feel the same way about, Gadd, Saville and Harris.
It‘s just the institutional defence of septic and the RC church, the lack of I’ll feeling towards them, that we find appalling.
Remember the movie that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was in about, I think, the Boston church?
I really thought that was a “game changer” for want of a better expression.
Until it was discussed in various places of employment I visit.
I‘d say nothing and just listen to their disgust at how this could happen.
Then I’d ask why so, why the disgust?
How can you feel so bad about this but not what went on at Celtic.
It’s hard to believe how the mood changes.
More, recently, and the events at Crewe brought similar discussion.
Same outcome, disgust at Crewe but not at Celtic.

I’ve said similar a thousand times and still don’t get the answer I should be getting.
I‘ve asked many a football fan how they’d feel if it were them and theirs and they’ve all expressed and emphasised the brutality of their vengeance.
I’ve then asked why they don't feel the same way towards the scum and they’ll say we, Rangers fans, only feel like that because it’s septic and the RC church.
Well, no, I protest.
It‘s just the institutional defence of septic and the RC church, the lack of I’ll feeling towards them, that we find appalling.
Remember the movie that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was in about, I think, the Boston church?

Excellent post.

Asking to myself can anyone help find these bstds xxx-happy too troll Glasgow finding this scumm

I read somewhere, they took them to their supervisor and he reported it to police.

I've been looking for an article I know I have read after the court case but it's either been removed or I just can't find it. (Could easily be the latter and nothing sinister).

This is from the BBC report from 2004 which had two references to the cleaners reporting it.

"The photographs were found by cleaners who reported the discovery to their bosses"

"They reported the find to management and the police were called in."

Two extremely vague references not saying who the cleaners reported it to. Is it just me cynically reading into something that's not there or do both those sentences stick out as unusual?

A photographer with Celtic Football Club has admitted a charge of indecency against boys aged as young as 10.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that pictures taken of young boys were hidden in a store room at Celtic Park for nearly 20 years by John Cullen.

The photographs were found by cleaners who reported the discovery to their bosses - who then called the police.

Cullen, 49, pleaded guilty to a charge of lewd and libidinous behaviour. He will be sentenced next month.

Black bag

The court heard on Friday that in May 2002, cleaners were clearing out a store room at the club where Cullen kept his camera equipment.

They found a black bag and opened it to check if it was rubbish.

But the staff found bundles of black and white pictures of young boys who were either nude or semi-nude.

They reported the find to management and the police were called in.

Cullen, of Shawbridge Street, Pollokshaws, Glasgow, was questioned about the 250 pictures.

He admitted inviting the children to a house in Glasgow between January and December 1982 before getting them to pose for the camera.

Dismissed

The pictures were then locked away in his Celtic Park store room for years.

Cullen first appeared in court last October, but the case was repeatedly adjourned to try and identify the youths.

Despite the help of Scotland Yard's special paedophile unit, their identities were never discovered.

Liz Ramsey, prosecuting, said it was agreed the boys who were photographed were aged between 10 and 13.

Cullen was dismissed from Celtic Park in June 2002 after working for the club for nearly 30 years.

He had travelled with the club both home working for the official club magazine, The Celtic View.

In a Scottish court? Not a chance, what was once a justice system that was the envy of the world, is now in tatters, rapists, sexual predators and child abusers are treated leniently

Honestly what's to be gained by repeating this shit over and over ? If that's your belief then fine but ffs keep it to yourself and try not to extinguish the hope of people with a differing opinion on such an emotive subject. This means a hell of lot to a hell of a lot of people so to constantly predict failure does nothing but harm to those involved.

It's amazing what links you find when you go down the rabbit hole. Just been reading about a double Grammy winning choirmaster,formerly of St Andrews church and St Aloysious church choirs in Glasgow.Charged with sexual abuse of a nine year old,and previously jailed for sexual offences against minors. This guy's name is Joseph Cullen. Surely not a relative of John Cullen? It's from.the UK and Ireland database site..I was looking for a link between Ronnie Hawthorn and John Cullen and this site popped up.

The guys who post on here are doing a brilliant job. For example I for 1 would never have expected the CH4 programme that was aired not so long ago to have seen the light of day if I was asked 5-10 years ago.
They have moved things in for the victims massively with their hard work.
We all want to see the guilty suffer for their actions and in some cases inaction.
For now I am just glad to see people with the determination to do what is the right thing.
And i take comfort in knowing that every fan of that club go to bed EVERY night wondering if tomorrow will be the day they are finally exposed for the club and fanbase that they truly are

Well, no, I protest.

Because the mindset of these thick as %^*& cunts is if Celtic lose, Rangers win imo of course.

If it happened to my boy at Rangers I would torch the place without a second thought.

Ok let's just drop it then eh? You've said nothing we don't already know about how they avoid scrutiny or the timescale involved. But to continually state there's nothing to be done is wrong. I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that. What happens to septic afterwards is up to the people of this country to decide and no amount of "protection" should save them if ALL their wrongs are outed. The bigger picture has been brought into focus these last couple of years and there's no reason on earth that enquiry you mention can't happen if enough pressure is applied.
I don't know why you're taking this so personally and getting so angry at me. I agree that club should be thrown out of the game, but if you think the Scottish football authorities are going to impose any kind of meaningful sanctions on them, then I don't think you are facing up to reality.
Where I now live , the fans of Hibs and Hearts have zero interest in this pitiful story. This thread is the only place this topic is even being discussed on any forum in this country. Hopefully as you say, when the full sordid details emerge, public perception might change. But I wouldn't count on it.
Anyway, I do not wish to de-rail the thread or risk a ban by getting into pointless arguments with you, so I shall not respond to any more of your replies.

It's frustrating that I can't find a direct quote from a newspaper. I would've swore on my mum's grave that I remembered him being quoted in the papers at the time saying it was an open secret. Believe me, I'm not one for making stuff up just to have a go at Celtic.

Edit - that blog says the Evening Times quoted him saying it on the 13th of November 1998.
I also remember reading this quote in a newspaper at the time of torbetts first trial.he definately said it.

The guys who post on here are doing a brilliant job. For example I for 1 would never have expected the CH4 programme that was aired not so long ago to have seen the light of day if I was asked 5-10 years ago.
They have moved things in for the victims massively with their hard work.
We all want to see the guilty suffer for their actions and in some cases inaction.
For now I am just glad to see people with the determination to do what is the right thing.
And i take comfort in knowing that every fan of that club go to bed EVERY night wondering if tomorrow will be the day they are finally exposed for the club and fanbase that they truly are
The day is coming where that club will be exposed for what they have done or more like what they haven’t done to protect young lads of their boys club. As for their apologist fans... Well, what do you expect from them? Fans that openly abuse victims are as bad as the perpetrators.
There will be more to come out in the coming weeks and months. I can assure you of that.

Last edited:
I don't know why you're taking this so personally and getting so angry at me. I agree that club should be thrown out of the game, but if you think the Scottish football authorities are going to impose any kind of meaningful sanctions on them, then I don't think you are facing up to reality.
Where I now live , the fans of Hibs and Hearts have zero interest in this pitiful story. This thread is the only place this topic is even being discussed on any forum in this country. Hopefully as you say, when the full sordid details emerge, public perception might change. But I wouldn't count on it.
Anyway, I do not wish to de-rail the thread or risk a ban by getting into pointless arguments with you, so I shall not respond to any more of your replies.

Firstly I'm not taking it personally because I'm not directly involved. I will however admit to getting frustrated sometimes when I read comments that infer this whole exercise is doomed to failure and is a pointless exercise. Once again imo THAT IS defeatist. If you disagree then fine but have the decency to leave the countless people who disagree with the hope they need to carry on.

Try telling the victims of Penn State for example it's pointless. People who witnessed their abuser and his employer being dragged through the courts when they never thought it possible. Are we saying this is a lesser problem in the states. I don't think so. Now before anyone says "aye but things are different here on Scotland" "they are institutionally protected"....we know ! Ok , people are fully aware of the enormity of the task , the depth this thing goes and the toll it takes when trying to expose the truth.

As for the story being pitiful I'm sorry but you're going to have to elaborate on that comment because there are hundreds of people on here alone who think it's anything but.

I'd agree you probably won't hear this discussion in the wider world (not out loud anyway). All the more reason then to get your weight behind it if you believe as I do that what that mob have done is fundamentally wrong and deserving of reprisal. Clearly this whole problem has been historically rife throughout the game in the entire country but what went on at cfc goes way way beyond what we've seen elsewhere.

Finally I'd say to you if you think I'm wrong then point out where in sensible debate. If I'm wrong I'll accept it. I've no desire to see you or anyone else drop out of the thread because discussion is healthy. We need more of it to get the message out there. If you or me are out of line then then admin will step in but don't for one minute think I'm trying to brow beat you.

This was a hard watch. Especially the last twenty minutes. What goes through these bheasts minds? They honestly, truly turn my stomach.
Chilling.

Less than 5 minutes in and Wedger talks about the Bad Character Act that was introduced in 2003 – “this was brought in to attack victims and survivors”.
Strikingly similar tactics to those that resulted in Cairney’s sentence being reduced from 4 years to 3 years.

Absolutely reeking to the top of society.

Was there not some ex-detective that got elbowed for lewd practice
with a middle-aged lady in the Celtic Store, does he go into the count?

Were you maybe thinking of this WB? There are so many abuse incidents at that rancid pit that it's difficult to keep up.

It's a link for the DR, but worth clicking on this one on this occasion.

Years of abuse and paid to keep quiet. Even the women aren't safe. Just your typical, every day happening at the Chamber of Secrets.

If my memory is correct, the pictures were scrutinized by special
police in London but could not trace/identify any of the boys.

So... the boys may not have played for Celtic?

1. Boys at Celtic were sexually abused.
2. Boys outside of Celtic had picturs taken, possibly abused... but Celtic Park was such a haven for paedophiles that photos could be stored there...?

So... the boys may not have played for Celtic?

1. Boys at Celtic were sexually abused.
2. Boys outside of Celtic had picturs taken, possibly abused... but Celtic Park was such a haven for paedophiles that photos could be stored there...?

I haven't thought of it that way before. Could that be a possible scenario? Going by what we have learned so far, it is not outwith the realms of possibility .

If my memory is correct, the pictures were scrutinized by special
police in London but could not trace/identify any of the boys.
I wonder how hard they tried.

I suppose they didn't have the same tools back then but you would have thought a few kids could be IDd out of those 250 photos. Local school class photos etc?

If they weren't linked to Celtic though, it's quite chilling to think where these kids were from and what happened to them - definitely points to a wider paedophile ring.

Back