Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Sorry if already posted not seen it.

if stein "kicked out" torbett in '74? why is he handing over awards to him in '77?

So Humza. After today’s news on you’re beloved club, would you or any of you’re colleagues care to comment? Or are we still hiding behind the SFA review? Tic toc.

Well put BN94. It couldnt be any simpler, so as for MSPs running this country what dont they understand about the need for a full independent inquiry? Do they still think its not that bad or are they just protecting their club, and their votes. They are a total disgrace to humanity.

Last edited:

A twice-convicted paedophile was employed by Celtic while he preyed on young players, further undermining the club’s refusal to accept responsibility for systematic sexual abuse at its feeder club.

Jim Torbett, 72, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, was jailed for six years in 2018 for sexually abusing boys between August 1986 and August 1994. He had previously served a two-year sentence for molesting players, including the future Scotland striker Alan Brazil, at the boys’ club between 1967 and 1974.

While expressing “regret and sympathy”, Celtic have distanced themselves from Torbett, describing the boys’ club as an “entirely separate organisation” with which they had “historic contacts”.

However, The Times can disclose that in addition to coaching he was hired by the club to run a chain of shops, selling merchandise. Torbett’s firm, the Trophy Centre, also had a long-running contract with Celtic. The revelations will heap further pressure on the champions after four senior figures at the boys’ club were convicted of molesting children over four decades.

In March 1994 The Celtic View, the club’s magazine, carried an article about sales. It states: “Jim Torbett, who oversees the Celtic Shops. . .” Four months earlier the magazine reported on how Torbett had launched a club shop in Argyle Street, Glasgow. In 1994 Celtic listed three shops, one department store concession and their staff as part of the club’s commercial division.

During his first trial in 1998 Hugh Birt, the late former boys’ club chairman, gave evidence that Jock Stein — then manager of Celtic FC — kicked Torbett out in 1974 after hearing claims of abuse, but did not inform the police.

It is a version of events corroborated by Lou Macari, the former Celtic player and manager, who wrote in his autobiography: “The wish to maintain the good name of Celtic was the only thing that kept the issue from coming to light.”

Torbett returned to Celtic Boys Club four years later and molested more boys, remaining there until 1996 when abuse allegations appeared in the press.

Passing sentence in 2018, Lord Beckett said: “You used the club as a front and a recruiting ground for boys who you could sexually abuse.”

In February Celtic FC said it was “very sorry” the abuse had happened, but still insisted that the boys’ club was separate. After Torbett’s 2018 conviction the club issued a statement saying: “Allegations regarding abuse at Celtic Boys Club first emerged in the 1990s.”

However, Celtic launched an internal investigation in 1986 that found “nothing to substantiate” the claims.

Thompsons Solicitors, which is representing about 20 abuse survivors, is preparing to launch legal action against the club. A Celtic spokesman said: “We would have no comment to make.”

A club insider added: “I’m not aware Torbett was actually employed directly by the club.”

Official magazine highlighted links
Investigations by The Times have exposed the links between Celtic FC and its scandal-hit feeder club (Marc Horne writes).

Celtic has insisted that it is not legally culpable for the widespread abuse, describing the boys’ club as “entirely separate”.

However, their position was contradicted by their own official magazine.

In 1987 an article in The Celtic View said: “It was some 20 short years back that [the Celtic manager] Jock Stein and [the chairman] Sir Robert Kelly brought the boys’ club into the Celtic family.

“It is now 18 years since Jock and [the Celtic scout] John Higgins made the connection official.”

The previous year it featured a report saying: “David Hay [the Celtic manager] complimented Celtic Boys Club and once again confirmed that they are very much a part of Celtic FC.”

An archived copy of the now-defunct feeder club website stated it was the “only official Celtic Boys Club”, while its registered address was a Celtic FC training ground.

Jack McGinn, Celtic’s chairman at the time, was found to have accepted the resignation of the boys’ club coach Frank Cairney after allegations he had abused a teenager on a US tour in 1991. Mr McGinn’s involvement appears at odds with claims that there were no links between the clubs.

The Times uncovered documents showing that Stein had personally recruited Cairney to the boys’ club in 1970.
Cant get more damming than this

Humza is genuinely a disgrace. His silence combined with the fact he has kids is very worrying.
Makes you wonder what is really going on Steve, when the most disgusting of crimes has been committed , and everyone knows its happened, but still people in power are acting as if its not worth bothering about. I am starting to wonder that certain people think they will actually go to hell if they speak up against any Catholic organization. Its like the phuckin dark ages

Makes you wonder what is really going on Steve, when the most disgusting of crimes has been committed , and everyone knows its happened, but still people in power are acting as if its not worth bothering about. I am starting to wonder that certain people think they will actually go to hell if they speak up against any Catholic organization. Its like the phuckin dark ages

I don’t think Humza yousaf’s worrying about Catholic Hell. More like missing out on perks next time he’s at Parkhead

It is heartening to see the Times recent revelations and the wonderful efforts of posters on here. However, CAN they just ride this out? By they, I mean the police, the Scottish Government, the justice minister, Celtic, the SFA, the rest of the press and other mhedia. Are they able to just ignore this in the tide of covid-19 news until momentum subsides? One would think all media outlets would be picking this up as a huge story. I know there have been hints on here of more to come. My only fear is that this and whatever revelations are to come are kicked down the road until they peter out, and that the so called ongoing ‘investigations’ at the SFA and overdue report will be wilfully delayed until interest ( among the general public at least ) diminishes. Legal action seems to be held up too. Certainly don’t mean to be negative - it is just so exasperating that clocks don’t stop over this.
50 years and more of cover up after cover up and still ignoring it all to this day , it is absolutely despicable that the Scottish Government are continuously ignoring this as are the football authorities , the same football authorities that couldn't wait to punish Rangers back in 2012 but they did not waste any time handing a dodgy title to the paedos . The SNP should be shown up and shamed for ignoring all this covering up and we all know what should happen to that despicable excuse for football club .

As I've said before, child sexual abuse should never be seen as the norm, but management and directors at Celtic Football Club would most definitely like to make you think it was.

Celtic Football Club and their disgusting denial of responsibility is sickening, that is also true of the SFA and the Scottish government.

Each had/has a duty of care.

The paedophile ring that was so evidently operating within Celtic Football Club is the most disgusting act of child sexual abuse to hit Scottish sport and the victims of these despicable acts of child sexual abuse must never be forgotten.

Celtic Football Club has to accept it's responsibilities, management and directors at said club, knew exactly what was going on and if their denials continue as they are, at some point, this must be seen as a deliberate act of trying to pervert the course of justice and criminal actions must surely be taken against them.

The victims of these paedophiles, that so openly operated within Celtic Football Club must have justice and Celtic Football Club must accept it's responsibilities.

Why is this so hard for certain people to comprehend...............

Agree BIMC.

I think history will probably show us that Scottish sport may be replaced by world sport
mate.

When are these compensation claims actually going to start going in. We’ve heard this for years now yet there has been no action that I am aware of

There has been one mate. Kim Leslie of Digby Brown was the lawyer IIRC.

Most importantly, it was successful.

It was for abuse by McCafferty, and is rumoured to be a six figure sum.

She previously secured another victim abused by two priests in Fife around £300k.

Last edited:
When are these compensation claims actually going to start going in. We’ve heard this for years now yet there has been no action that I am aware of

An award was made to the victim, who cannot be named, by the Personal Injury Court in Edinburgh.

The victim’s lawyer, Kim Leslie, said: “For decades my client suffered as a result of McCafferty’s abuse so above all else I’d like pay tribute to him for the courage he has shown in stepping forwards after coming to terms with what happened.

“Ever since McCafferty’s abuse was exposed Celtic FC remained firm in its defence and denial of responsibility. (SHOCKAROONY!)

“However after thorough investigations I was able to present a robust case which resulted in the club admitting liability. ( " I had the bastards by the balls and they caved in as the evidence against the Celtic paedophile was overwhelming! "

“I hope the successful end to this legal action brings closure to my client and also brings hope to those who considering a civil action of their own.” ( Other victims should contact me with all haste due and I'll sue the arse off these bastards for you! " )

Although a compensation figure has not been disclosed, it has been described as “significant”.

McCafferty was jailed for six years and nine months in May after admitting to 12 charges related to child sex abuse against 10 teenage boys between 1972 and 1996. The 73-year-old was a coach and kit man for the Celtic youth team, who also worked for Celtic Boys Club.

Six years for sexually abusing 10 teenage boys is an absolute joke!

An award was made to the victim, who cannot be named, by the Personal Injury Court in Edinburgh.

The victim’s lawyer, Kim Leslie, said: “For decades my client suffered as a result of McCafferty’s abuse so above all else I’d like pay tribute to him for the courage he has shown in stepping forwards after coming to terms with what happened.

“Ever since McCafferty’s abuse was exposed Celtic FC remained firm in its defence and denial of responsibility. (SHOCKAROONY!)

“However after thorough investigations I was able to present a robust case which resulted in the club admitting liability. ( " I had the bastards by the balls and they caved in as the evidence against the Celtic paedophile was overwhelming! "

“I hope the successful end to this legal action brings closure to my client and also brings hope to those who considering a civil action of their own.” ( Other victims should contact me with all haste due and I'll sue the arse off these bastards for you! " )

Although a compensation figure has not been disclosed, it has been described as “significant”.

McCafferty was jailed for six years and nine months in May after admitting to 12 charges related to child sex abuse against 10 teenage boys between 1972 and 1996. The 73-year-old was a coach and kit man for the Celtic youth team, who also worked for Celtic Boys Club.

not even a year for each life destroyed

"A robust case,which ended with club ADMITTING liability"....

Ive had an snp MP saying they cant raise a motion in Westminster regards CSA in scottish football as its a matter for the Scottish parliament. Why then would Dornan even think to raise a motion on this, its regarding a country from the other side of the Atlantic bloody ocean! Then theres the small matter of that all lives matter not just black folk, and it turns out the guy in question had a long criminal record including holding a woman at gunpoint in her own house. Im not suggesting for one minute that that policeman shouldnt have the book thrown at him, but for Dornan to raise a motion on Trumps tweet is just absurd when the protesters have gone totally feral.

How on earth is this guy an elected MSP, hes more than just out of touch its deliberate attention seeking and deflection. Deal with the giant elephant staring you in the face at the peado dome Dornan you twat :mad:

Agree BIMC.

I think history will probably show us that Scottish sport may be replaced by world sport
mate.

Was just trying to keep it within the context of what has happened in Scotland this time. I have previously stated, that Celtic Football Club knowingly let a ring of paedophilia openly operate within the sanctuary of said club. Yes indeed GY, this is in fact, the biggest case of child sexual abuse to fall on world football and again the question has to be asked.

Why are the authorities not acting in the best interests of the victims.

Celtic Football Club is not above the law, but at times, we are lead to believe that they are and that is despicable.

The victims of this child sexual abuse have to get justice, Celtic Football Club has to admit it's guilt, then and only then, will the victims get closure.

And again, the question has to be asked, why is there no appetite within the Scottish legal system to make sure the victims of this sick paedophilia ring that operated within Celtic Football Club get the closure they so rightly and unanimously deserve.

Was just trying to keep it within the context of what has happened in Scotland this time. I have previously stated, that Celtic Football Club knowingly let a ring of paedophilia openly operate within the sanctuary of said club. Yes indeed GY, this is in fact, the biggest case of child sexual abuse to fall on world football and again the question has to be asked.

Why are the authorities not acting in the best interests of the victims.

Celtic Football Club is not above the law, but at times, we are lead to believe that they are and that is despicable.

The victims of this child sexual abuse have to get justice, Celtic Football Club has to admit it's guilt, then and only then, will the victims get closure.

And again, the question has to be asked, why is there no appetite within the Scottish legal system to make sure the victims of this sick paedophilia ring that operated within Celtic Football Club get the closure they so rightly and unanimously deserve.

Well said mate ;)

Ive had an snp MP saying they cant raise a motion in Westminster regards CSA in scottish football as its a matter for the Scottish parliament. Why then would Dornan even think to raise a motion on this, its regarding a country from the other side of the Atlantic bloody ocean! Then theres the small matter of that all lives matter not just black folk, and it turns out the guy in question had a long criminal record including holding a woman at gunpoint in her own house. Im not suggesting for one minute that that policeman shouldnt have the book thrown at him, but for Dornan to raise a motion on Trumps tweet is just absurd when the protesters have gone totally feral.

How on earth is this guy an elected MSP, hes more than just out of touch its deliberate attention seeking and deflection. Deal with the giant elephant staring you in the face at the peado dome Dornan you twat :mad:

Give it time and the wee fucker will be tweeting about palestine or that he's a victim

Thats the thing though how many MPs or MSPs from all parties have publicly condemned the actions of that club regarding the revelations these past few days, right here on our doorstep! Black lives matter but kids being abused and enabled by a club for decades doesnt matter, but lets raise a motion in Hollyrood to condemn Trumps tweet :/

Just something I was wondering around the claims of Celtic and CBC being separate entities. If they were separate entities and completely different organisations then how did Jock Stein, the Celtic manager, have the authority to sack Torbett??

Correct Bro, I have asked this in different ways as Torbett's Club/ his
Business/His Wage Earner? WHO would walk away from that without
some form of legal agreement being reached by BOTH parties, so that everything is all watertight incase one party renages on deal? :confused:

Just something I was wondering around the claims of Celtic and CBC being separate entities. If they were separate entities and completely different organisations then how did Jock Stein, the Celtic manager, have the authority to sack Torbett??
Aye, but did he sack him now, did he boot him up the arse and out the door or is that another celtic myth

Aye, but did he sack him now, did he boot him up the arse and out the door or is that another celtic myth

Anything ive ever read mentions some form of Stein grabbing torbett up out the chair and hurling him out the door, no mentions of anyone being sacked at that point. Good question thats easily overlooked, was he actually sacked at that point and if so by whom?

That's two MPs' virtue signalling over matters in a country that doesn't concern them, one even calling for a motion, and yet both refuse to communicate with citizens of our country over matters relating to our country.

I don't care what political party they are from, they need to go, now.

I am glad that Mr Woods is going after MPs , as his attitude will give strength to others who were affected.

That's two MPs' virtue signalling over matters in a country that doesn't concern them, one even calling for a motion, and yet both refuse to communicate with citizens of our country over matters relating to our country.

I don't care what political party they are from, they need to go, now.

I am glad that Mr Woods is going after MPs , as his attitude will give strength to others who were affected.
I’m not on Twitter but are any Bears tweeting “The Donald” with this stuff, he’s the kind of guy that would hit back at yousaf and his self righteous hypocrite colleagues. A quote from him on paedo fc would be world news?

I’m not on Twitter but are any Bears tweeting “The Donald” with this stuff, he’s the kind of guy that would hit back at yousaf and his self righteous hypocrite colleagues. A quote from him on paedo fc would be world news?

I don't think Trump would respond, but it would be seen by many who follow or read his tweets. If the obsessed commented on the tweet, it would bring attention.

However, given the seriousness of the subject, I don't think it would be helpful to those seeking justice .

This is a question frequently asked on here Shawlands,personaly I think the sacking was just for show and there was some sort of agreement between the two before the meeting where torbett was supposedly kicked out.

Back