Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Maybe the guys ITK will correct me but there are clues in the thread: The paedos were well warned to leave the talented boys alone, leaving the lesser talented boys free for abuse, knowing they would have a greater hold over the psyche. i.e. do as you're telt or out.
Not sure I entirely buy that tbh. John McCluskey was supposed to be one of the best young players in Scotland and he didn't escape the abuse. Same can be said for Alan Brazil who went on to have a very good career.

Maybe the guys ITK will correct me but there are clues in the thread: The paedos were well warned to leave the talented boys alone, leaving the lesser talented boys free for abuse, knowing they would have a greater hold over the psyche. i.e. do as you're telt or out.

You have a point Jim, but there were also players we believe were abused who went on to
play for the first team too.

I have heard this mentioned a few times by victims. Gordon Woods actually said recently that after his trial for cbc he was told he hadn’t made the grade. Yet Torbett told him to come back and he was subsequently abused.
This was a well organised ring and I think a lot of boys fell into the same trap Gordon did.

I have heard this mentioned a few times by victims. Gordon Woods actually said recently that after his trial for cbc he was told he hadn’t made the grade. Yet Torbett told him to come back and he was subsequently abused.
This was a well organised ring and I think a lot of boys fell into the same trap Gordon did.
Cheers guys. Just a thought from what I was taking from some posts. Obviously a lot of very vulnerable kids manipulated.

True to form Humza Useless claimed 20% of Scots returning home from abroad were being checked for quarantine. In fact NONE were checked. He is now to ‘correct ‘ this. The man is either a liar or incompetent or both. Hopefully some outrage will be directed at him this time (the outrage that should have been directed for ignoring the emails from the relatives of victims of child sex abuse.)
[/
An ignorant incompetent liar would be my guess

Looking at this maggots other messages, a rather repugnant example of their already gutteral support. How accounts like this are allowed to churn out this level of bile and abuse is shameful. While at the same time, a certain female celebrity troll, who like her or loathe her, has her account permanently suspended just because they don't like her opinions. At least she was not hiding behind a fake profile and willing to stand by her comments and was liable for them, if anyone took umbridge. It's about time everyone on social media had to prove their actual identity too before being allowed onto the platform. There are forums and other internet sites for anonymity. Social media though should not be one of them.

The real Chris McGlaughlin on there is a good bear who is well known in social media. Looks like a tim has faked his account to do this.

at the absolute minimum ,ignoring they've already lost a case, you'd expect the SFA/SPFL would have handed them a transfer embargo until all court cases were over, yet they continue to sign players for massive wages and go on as though nothing has happened.

The SFA seem to have been compliant back then and are now.

Can someone who has twitter report this twatwaffle.

Twitter should hang their head in shame. The amount of targeted harassment directed had the victims families is shocking.

Imagine going through the trouble of making up an account that is very similar to another person's, including the same profile picture, then using that profile to harass and abuse someone who is fighting for truth and justice. All to muddy the waters and deflect from the fact that their favourite football club was involved in terrible crimes.

What actually goes goes on in some people's head to do that?

I despair at times for people and the world in general. Social media is amplifying this behaviour.

at the absolute minimum ,ignoring they've already lost a case, you'd expect the SFA/SPFL would have handed them a transfer embargo until all court cases were over, yet they continue to sign players for massive wages and go on as though nothing has happened.

The SFA seem to have been compliant back then and are now.
Celtic and the SFA are one in the same when it comes to this. Covering each others backs all way. The SFA know how far this goes.

Paedophiles groom children. They handpick ones they recognise have weaknesses. Could be emotional problems, broken homes, autism whatever. They show emotional support and embroil that support in with the abuse.
Which is such and incredibly evil thing to do. I'm sure most of us wish we could have been present and been able to beat the living tar out of these scumbags. I know I do.

Having been the victim of emotional and physical abuse, I also know that at the time I was very well aware that what was happening was incredibly wrong but also at an age that I knew no one would listen to me. Especially considering the social standing of my abuser.

Which is such and incredibly evil thing to do. I'm sure most of us wish we could have been present and been able to beat the living tar out of these scumbags. I know I do.

Having been the victim of emotional and physical abuse, I also know that at the time I was very well aware that what was happening was incredibly wrong but also at an age that I knew no one would listen to me. Especially considering the social standing of my abuser.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I agree if I knew it was happening now I would end up in jail for my actions.

I also reckon that at 12 and 13 most kids wouldn't think that they could fight back. They might not even have known that it was something they could tell people. Kids today know better but back then they might not have known how to. Also as everyone is aware. They thought speaking out would ruin their celtic career.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I agree if I knew it was happening now I would end up in jail for my actions.

I also reckon that at 12 and 13 most kids wouldn't think that they could fight back. They might not even have known that it was something they could tell people. Kids today know better but back then they might not have known how to. Also as everyone is aware. They thought speaking out would ruin their celtic career.
Thanks, PC. What I endured is nothing to what these poor kids went through, I can only imagine. The damage that was done to me has affected me throughout my life, with another layer of abuse had it been sexual too, it just sickens me thinking about it.

And as much as we can look back and say something should have been done, primarily by the organization and those within that knew, what more could parents do other than steer their children away? As everyone knows, this was an open secret back then. Rangers fans tried to bring it to light but it was always seen as point scoring. It would take a very brave and resolute person to try to bring this to light. It still does.

That's why this team here and the victims that come forth now should be applauded and supported. Disgusting the way entire systems (governmental, legal, law enforcement, sporting) have let these children and adults down. Absolutely criminal.

What u should be looking at is the lack of any thing from this bloody awful scotish gov and there ignoring what went on both fm and justice minister have blatantly
ignored any thing to do with this incase it upsets there core voters
It's the media that's supposed to step in and pressure ministers when they don't do the right thing and they haven't. Cannot criticise one without the other imo. Their failures go hand in hand.

My worry is that Mr Goldberg mentioned holding everyone else to account except the media. They can't get a free pass on this. Even if it puts him in a difficult situation having to work in the industry himself. He only has to criticise the Scottish media anyway, which should minimise any backlash and bridge burning, although the wider British media have been a bit slow and negligent up to this point too. Probably because they rely on their Scottish counterparts for north of the border content. BBC especially. I sense there's a unhealthy reluctance to step on BBC Scotlands toes which is despicable given the nature of the offences. However at least there are signs now that some are finally stepping up to the plate. Perhaps as the penny is dropping that Scottish MSM are indeed part of the problem and are in the dock too and can't be trusted to report this subject fairly and accurately. Better late than never.

You are missing the point. At 12 years of age I would have went down fighting. Charlie and Jim Duffy came from the same background as me and would have kicked and punched like phuck. The paedo does not like that as it increasès the chances of getting caught.

Paedophiles are highly manipulative. Yes you say you would have fought back but most 12 years can be physically and mentally intimidated by a grown man. Paedophiles threaten and blackmail their victims into secrecy, using shame and intimidation to illicit silence.
Given what happened at CBC with so many individuals being involved in abuse it would have been difficult for a boy to speak up. Remember the shame of being abused alone makes the victim not want to tell anyone. Then add to the fact that victims who have complained have not been believed.

Whilst you might have done what you say, the fact that other boys did not does not mean that the victims did anything wrong, or were weak or let it happen.

Kids are bullied by people their own age, just think how grown men could intimidate and silence their victims.

It was the duty of those who knew to protect the young boys, not the responsibility of the boys to fight them off. CFC board knew there were issues, numerous Celtic managers were aware, the officials at CBC knew and it seems many parents knew. No boy should have had to fight, the boys should have been protected.

To those actively working / helping on this matter. Do you expect anything to come of the SFA review? Or is it going to be a bit of a stitch up / protect Celtic at all costs exercise?

When I seen Martin Hendry's name involved and his links to a Celtic paedo then alarm bells were ringing.

Paedophiles are highly manipulative. Yes you say you would have fought back but most 12 year-olds can be physically and mentally intimidated by a grown man. Paedophiles threaten and blackmail their victims into secrecy, using shame and intimidation to illicit silence.
Given what happened at CBC with so many individuals being involved in abuse it would have been difficult for a boy to speak up. Remember the shame of being abused alone makes the victim not want to tell anyone. Then the fact that victims who have complained have not been believed.

Whilst you might have done what you say, the fact that other boys did not does not mean that the victims did anything wrong, or were weak or let it happen.

Kids are bullied by people their own age, just think how grown men could intimidate and silence their victims.

It was the duty of those who knew to protect the young boys, not the responsibility of the boys to fight them off. CFC board knew there were issues, numerous Celtic managers were aware, the officials at CBC knew and it seems many parents knew. No boy should have had to fight, the boys should have been protected.
Exactly right.

Imagine going through the trouble of making up an account that is very similar to another person's, including the same profile picture, then using that profile to harass and abuse someone who is fighting for truth and justice. All to muddy the waters and deflect from the fact that their favourite football club was involved in terrible crimes.

What actually goes goes on in some people's head to do that?

I despair at times for people and the world in general. Social media is amplifying this behaviour.
I'm convinced, and have been for years, that these accounts are set up by organised and paid individuals who troll the media constantly.

Budgie seeds
Didn’t know that mate, I was under the impression they came from eggs not planted seeds.

The SFA want the whole thing hushed up as Celtic do as they both know that it’s only a matter of time before both will have to publicly apologise and pay the price for ignoring the facts that they both knew and covered it up.

My mate has went after the SFAas he wasn’t looking for money but a full open no holds barred inquiry why Top paid officials ignored pleas at the time.

Paedophiles are highly manipulative. Yes you say you would have fought back but most 12 years can be physically and mentally intimidated by a grown man. Paedophiles threaten and blackmail their victims into secrecy, using shame and intimidation to illicit silence.
Given what happened at CBC with so many individuals being involved in abuse it would have been difficult for a boy to speak up. Remember the shame of being abused alone makes the victim not want to tell anyone. Then add to the fact that victims who have complained have not been believed.

I will never criticise someone who hasn't or ever will come forward. Maybe some more will, but thats for them to decide.

It's never happened to me and all I can say is thank god. Some of them have probably settled down and have a contended life, but always in the back of their minds theyll have to live with it, some better than others.

I recognised the Chris McLaughlin thing too. Between that and the other one with the Ibrox pic, it not only shows the desperation but the sheer wickedness of their minds.

For any looking in, go on, put pressure on your club to put their hands up like chelsea and man city. That didnt do them much long term damage.

They done the right thing, by taking on their responsibilities. Where as that lot have indulged in mass whataboutery and abuse of victims.

I will never criticise someone who hasn't or ever will come forward. Maybe some more will, but thats for them to decide.

It's never happened to me and all I can say is thank god. Some of them have probably settled down and have a contended life, but always in the back of their minds theyll have to live with it, some better than others.

I recognised the Chris McLaughlin thing too. Between that and the other one with the Ibrox pic, it not only shows the desperation but the sheer wickedness of their minds.

For any looking in, go on, put pressure on your club to put their hands up like chelsea and man city. That didnt do them much long term damage.

They done the right thing, by taking on their responsibilities. Where as that lot have indulged in mass whataboutery and abuse of victims.
The thing is, true Bears WANT an independent inquiry into ALL the clubs and organizations involved. Including our own.

I've never seen one poster on here say otherwise. If this was my club with their history of abuse and cover ups, it would no longer be my club. I've seen countless posters here say the same.

Regarding this article. The boys club team for this tour was under 16s and 4 permitted under 17s. The boys club didn't have an u17s/18s team as far as the published structure goes. It definitely didn't have an under 20s.

So......was this u16s team a mix of boys club and 4 Celtic registered players? Who paid for the boys club to attend a tournament with Celtic u20s? If they were seperate entities why were they coincidentally competing in the same tournament? Are we to believe they paid their own way as a separate entity? Did they insure the 4 overage players? Did they borrow 4 players from Celtic? Are they really just the same team?

The name Barry Smith is ringing bells with me. I am certain a player of that name (or very similar) played for their first team about twenty years ago.

Thanks, PC. What I endured is nothing to what these poor kids went through, I can only imagine. The damage that was done to me has affected me throughout my life, with another layer of abuse had it been sexual too, it just sickens me thinking about it.

And as much as we can look back and say something should have been done, primarily by the organization and those within that knew, what more could parents do other than steer their children away? As everyone knows, this was an open secret back then. Rangers fans tried to bring it to light but it was always seen as point scoring. It would take a very brave and resolute person to try to bring this to light. It still does.

That's why this team here and the victims that come forth now should be applauded and supported. Disgusting the way entire systems (governmental, legal, law enforcement, sporting) have let these children and adults down. Absolutely criminal.

Fair play to you for speaking out KY. I am currently fighting my own demons so if you ever need to rant, moan or just want a blether then just drop me a PM. In fact that goes for all of us. I firmly believe that we as a support and a club are one big family and I (we) are only too happy to help each other out.

Fair play to you for speaking out KY. I am currently fighting my own demons so if you ever need to rant, moan or just want a blether then just drop me a PM. In fact that goes for all of us. I firmly believe that we as a support and a club are one big family and I (we) are only too happy to help each other out.
Thanks CB. I'm actually generally happy these days, although I think I'm just resigned to the life I have, with the inability to create real connections. As I'm sure many on here may be able to identify with, trust is a huge deal for me.

As I said though, I feel it's nothing compared to what these poor lads went through. I've recently watched some videos where they discuss how you can be empathetic and realize many have gone through worse without minimizing your own early trauma though.

Who knows, the older I get, the less I seem to care about what happens to me. I appreciate the kind words and I may take you up on it. I am actually emigrating back to the UK in September so I'll need to make some friends there for sure! I have cousins in Glasgow but I'll be in Oxfordshire I think. I definitely need to meet some fellow Bears to have a pint or 5 (I'm a big guy) with from time to time!

Not just starting a new chapter in life, starting a new volume. Both excited and nervous for sure!

ps - don't bother telling me not to move, every country is fncked up in their own way. Unless you live there, you really don't know what life is like. I've never taken to the American way of life and want to end my days on my own soil having access to Europe and Rangers matches wherever they may roam!

Great post mate, and precisely the reason that club needs to be raked over the coals about this. Given the period of time over which this happened and the level of people involved who knew about it and allowed it to continue univestigated, they really should be looking at closing the place down and financial compensation should come from the remaining assets

Must be this Barry Smith ?
"Paisley-born defender Barry Smith signed for Celtic from Giffnock North AFC in June 1991." (21st June to be exact.)

So he didn't sign a pro contract from their boys club. He was either a trialist or a fully signed up celtic player when he went away that summer with the youths (must have been 1991 because he was 17 - born Feb 1974). Anyone know the exact dates of the Swiss tournament?

She knew about Saville and stayed quiet when at the time, this could have saved folk if she had spoken out.

At that time, she was fronting Thats Life which consistently has the highest viewing figures. She was an outspoken character who decided to keep quiet about Saville to protect her own career. She founded Childline through pangs of guilt imo.

Same goes for Janet Street Porter - a vociferous lady in a high profile position as a newspaper editor who knew but did nothing.

The only time in either of that despicable pairs careers they’ve kept their mouths shut.

Back