Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Humza Yousaf is MSP for Pollock. He is Justice Minister in the Scottish Parliament.

He refuses to involve himself, or his government, in a public inquiry into child abuse in Scottish football.

Like all MPs and MSPs his biggest fear is losing the support of those within his constituency party.

We need SNP sympathisers, supporters and activists to raise this matter at branch level, constituency level and National level.

He can ignore his enemies, he cannot dismiss his support with the same contempt.

He needs to be held to account.

Last edited:
Humza Yousaf is MSP for Pollock. He is Justice Minister in the Scottish Parliament.

He refuses to involve himself, or his government, in a public enquiry into child abuse in Scottish football.

Like all MPs and MSPs his biggest fear is losing the support of those within his constituency party.

We need SNP sympathisers, supporters and activists to raise this matter at branch level, constituency level and National level.

He can ignore his enemies, he cannot dismiss his support with the same contempt.

He’s beyond useless, however useless makes him sound unaccountable for his actions. Hes went out his way to purposely ignore victims of CA at CFC and then managed to convince himself it racist abuse and removed himself from social media. Listen humza racism is not acceptable however CA is even worse. U woudnt wear a confederate flag? But a Celtic badge is acceptable?

Going by the correspondence that we’ve had with Humza then this individual has proved he’s not fit for purpose and should leave now.
For a long time now he has hidden behind any excuse that he can find. He has made no secret of his support for BLM. It’s just a shame that CSA victims that were connected to his beloved club mean nothing to him.

And a huge thank you to each and every one of you. If any of you guys working on this need donations, even if it's just to cover costs please let me know. Myself and I'm sure everyone on here would be more than happy to help.

Thanks a lot for the offer Billy.

We've just mucked in as a team for different things over the last couple of years, but i'll
let the guys know in case anything bigger comes up & we need support.

And a huge thank you to each and every one of you. If any of you guys working on this need donations, even if it's just to cover costs please let me know. Myself and I'm sure everyone on here would be more than happy to help.
Wonderful offer . Still galling to know that the hunt for justice has been driven by the good souls on here. Next to no politicians,policemen ,people in the justice system,people who could and should make a difference here have stuck their heads above the parapet. What has this once decent country become?

Wonderful offer . Still galling to know that the hunt for justice has been driven by the good souls on here. Next to no politicians,policemen ,people in the justice system,people who could and should make a difference here have stuck their heads above the parapet. What has this once decent country become?

I'll let somebody else answer that one mate, you know my feelings well :))

He refuses to involve himself, or his government, in a public inquiry into child abuse in Scottish football.

Billiericky your right but the issue we have with this. is the SNP aligning themselves with Irish Republican attitudes has galvanised the filths support. Splurgeon placed an act within holyrood that there won’t be investigation into sporting institutions in Scotland Regarding CSA. This was done deliberately to protect Celtic and the SNP’s core voters. The rank and file won’t go against the SNP to take Celtic down. Just imagine for one minute what it would be like if it’s was Rangers who had done this. We would be dragged through every court and SNP wouldn’t hold back.We need people from outwith Scotland getting involved and exposing the SNP cover up. Then things will change. In my opinion for what it’s worth.

April 2017, in a response to Marc Daly’s documentary ’The Ugly Side of the Beautiful Game’, the term ‘separate and distinct organisation from Celtic Football Club.’, was born with members of the team on here carrying out some incredible work in order to dispel this myth.

Contained within that same statement was a another line that I feel doesn’t get the same amount of attention or scrutiny. Especially from the media and powers that be.

The line in question being, “We have asked anyone with concerns to contact us”.

I still can’t believe that upon being asked to comment regarding more allegations of CSA at their organisation that in one hand they are telling the world that CBC was separate from the club, yet on the other, any victims should contact Celtic!

Firstly the comments are a total contradiction and secondly why would any victim want to contact the club over the police or a victims help group etc?

I know that I am going over old ground here but I just don’t understand the statement and the lack of outcry regarding it. How did they get away with the “contact us” aspect?

Celtic FC funded its scandal-hit feeder team and employed one of its key figures, prompting lawyers representing victims to claim it “demolishes” the club’s defence before a legal battle.

Celtic Boys Club has been engulfed by allegations of systematic sexual misconduct over three decades, prompting claims that it represents the largest child abuse scandal in British football.

Legal papers were lodged in June on behalf of a survivor who is seeking damages from the Parkhead club.

The test case is expected to be heard at the Court of Session within months.

Celtic FC is strongly contesting the claims, insisting the boys’ club was an entirely separate entity with which it had “historic connections”.

However, its stance appears to be contradicted by new evidence which confirms Celtic FC directly invested money into the feeder team and employed Frank Cairney, who headed the boys’ club, for two decades.

The ties between the clubs were confirmed in an article from Celtic View, Celtic FC’s official magazine, in April 1990. It confirms the boys’ club held its AGM at Parkhead and offers congratulations to Mr Cairney, the general manager, who was “in his 20th year on the Celtic staff”. Mr Cairney was quoted as saying that the work that was being done by him and his fellow officials was “appreciated by the people that matter at Celtic Park”.

The article also confirmed that Celtic FC had funded the feeder club, stating: “Honorary president Kevin Kelly said that Celtic FC chairman Jack McGinn and his board of directors were totally committed to the boy’s club and fully appreciated the tremendous service that Celtic received from them. He added that the board had already taken a decision to increase their support and investment in the boys’ club.”

An article in Celtic View two years earlier said the “Celtic directors, management and staff are fully committed to the Celtic Boys Club organisation”, adding “There is 100 per cent support from everybody at the club.” However, when questioned by The Times Mr McGinn insisted Celtic Boys Club was a “separate, autonomous body”.

In 1986 Celtic FC held an internal investigation into the abuse allegations which concluded they were false and “scurrilous”, clearing the coaching staff.

A spokesman for Thompsons Solicitors, which represents more than 20 individuals who claim they were molested at the boys’ club, said: “In Celtic’s own words, in their own official publication, a boys’ club official describes himself as a Celtic employee and the Celtic board of directors are happy to state they support and invest in the boys club.

“For anyone to contend that the two organisations were separate entities is clearly false and deeply insulting to all those who were abused as child footballers whilst under the care of Celtic.”

Mr Cairney replaced Jim Torbett, the founder of the boys’ club, who has twice been jailed for sex attacks. In January the Crown Office confirmed that Mr Cairney had been charged and was involved in a “live solemn case”. The Times understands that the charges relate to the alleged sexual abuse of young people and that Mr Cairney, of Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, will appear in court within months.

Celtic FC did not respond to a request for comment.

Celtic FC funded its scandal-hit feeder team and employed one of its key figures, prompting lawyers representing victims to claim it “demolishes” the club’s defence before a legal battle.

Celtic Boys Club has been engulfed by allegations of systematic sexual misconduct over three decades, prompting claims that it represents the largest child abuse scandal in British football.

Legal papers were lodged in June on behalf of a survivor who is seeking damages from the Parkhead club.

Celtic FC is strongly contesting the claims, insisting the boys’ club was an entirely separate entity with which it had “historic connections”.

However, its stance appears to be contradicted by new evidence which confirms Celtic FC directly invested money into the feeder team and employed Frank Cairney, who headed the boys’ club, for two decades.

The ties between the clubs were confirmed in an article from Celtic View, Celtic FC’s official magazine, in April 1990. It confirms the boys’ club held its AGM at Parkhead and offers congratulations to Mr Cairney, the general manager, who was “in his 20th year on the Celtic staff”. Mr Cairney was quoted as saying that the work that was being done by him and his fellow officials was “appreciated by the people that matter at Celtic Park”.

The article also confirmed that Celtic FC had funded the feeder club, stating: “Honorary president Kevin Kelly said that Celtic FC chairman Jack McGinn and his board of directors were totally committed to the boy’s club and fully appreciated the tremendous service that Celtic received from them. He added that the board had already taken a decision to increase their support and investment in the boys’ club.”

An article in Celtic View two years earlier said the “Celtic directors, management and staff are fully committed to the Celtic Boys Club organisation”, adding “There is 100 per cent support from everybody at the club.” However, when questioned by The Times Mr McGinn insisted Celtic Boys Club was a “separate, autonomous body”.

In 1986 Celtic FC held an internal investigation into the abuse allegations which concluded they were false and “scurrilous”, clearing the coaching staff.

A spokesman for Thompsons Solicitors, which represents more than 20 individuals who claim they were molested at the boys’ club, said: “In Celtic’s own words, in their own official publication, a boys’ club official describes himself as a Celtic employee and the Celtic board of directors are happy to state they support and invest in the boys club.

“For anyone to contend that the two organisations were separate entities is clearly false and deeply insulting to all those who were abused as child footballers whilst under the care of Celtic.”

Mr Cairney replaced Jim Torbett, the founder of the boys’ club, who has twice been jailed for sex attacks. In January the Crown Office confirmed that Mr Cairney had been charged and was involved in a “live solemn case”. The Times understands that the charges relate to the alleged sexual abuse of young people and that Mr Cairney, of Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, will appear in court within months.

Was frank cairney Celtic kitman for 20 years? 1970 - 1990? Seems unlikely......

April 2017, in a response to Marc Daly’s documentary ’The Ugly Side of the Beautiful Game’, the term ‘separate and distinct organisation from Celtic Football Club.’, was born with members of the team on here carrying out some incredible work in order to dispel this myth.

Contained within that same statement was a another line that I feel doesn’t get the same amount of attention or scrutiny. Especially from the media and powers that be.

The line in question being, “We have asked anyone with concerns to contact us”.

I still can’t believe that upon being asked to comment regarding more allegations of CSA at their organisation that in one hand they are telling the world that CBC was separate from the club, yet on the other, any victims should contact Celtic!

Firstly the comments are a total contradiction and secondly why would any victim want to contact the club over the police or a victims help group etc?

I know that I am going over old ground here but I just don’t understand the statement and the lack of outcry regarding it. How did they get away with the “contact us” aspect?

To anyone with an inkling of their previous, it's very clear what they are asking there. However, their choice of wording - "anyone with concerns", as opposed to any specific 'victims' - was no doubt very deliberately worded.

Either way, you are correct about contacting the police. To ask people to contact that club - I'm not sure how they could manage to say that with a straight face. Absolutely shameless.

Ah The old " No Comment" line again

One day they will be forced to answer questions.
And when will that day be ?
Their answer to any questions is.
Eh I don't recall your honour, going to the the confessional so many times has erased all me memory. Comes the real judgment day they will not be forgiven they don't have a seperate Catholic gate I'm afraid, It'll be hot as hell where they are going.:eek:

One day they will be forced to answer questions.
This clubs ethical conduct,integrity and morality is beyond belief. As association member their historical disorderly conduct must be questioned, justice must prevail. The standard proof of abuse of position is unacceptable. The recurring abuse problem over decades is unprecedented. (Just some examples of rules of conduct required by SFA and UEFA governing bodies). More importantly the criminality carried out, the deceitful cover up and ignoring of victims completely unacceptable. Then the present government stance of omitting sporting and religious groups from scrutiny, truely shocking behaviour. Surely grounds for a independent inquiry, where all questions should be addressed.

You have to wonder when the SFA will open up it's own investigation into this club given the amount of time they are hitting the news-not by the Scottish press mind you- on a subject as horrific as CSA and how Scottish football may be impacted on the whole by the negativity.
Or maybe you don't?

And when will that day be ?
Their answer to any questions is.
Eh I don't recall your honour, going to the the confessional so many times has erased all me memory. Comes the real judgment day they will not be forgiven they don't have a seperate Catholic gate I'm afraid, It'll be hot as hell where they are going.:eek:
The cynic in me thinks they will drag this on as long as possible in the hope that Kelly & McGinn are burning in hell.

Those two have all the answers.

Until we die mate, if we have to :p
Hats off to all the guys chasing this up daily and having to deal with this every day.

I have to give myself a break from reading this thread every now and again as it is to much to take in and the lack of urgency from the authorities really pisses me off.

FFS how must the victims of this manage to keep going day by day.

Hats off to all the guys chasing this up daily and having to deal with this every day.

I have to give myself a break from reading this thread every now and again as it is to much to take in and the lack of urgency from the authorities really pisses me off.

FFS how must the victims of this manage to keep going day by day.

At least the victims that we speak to are feeling the progress that they / us / Spotlight are
making mate, so they have a new optimism.

Don't get me wrong, until they get justice & closure & peace of mind, only then will they
be able to try & get on with their already badly impacted lives.

At least the victims that we speak to are feeling the progress that they / us / Spotlight are

Don't get me wrong, until they get justice & closure & peace of mind, only then will they
Anything that helps their sense of wellbeing or puts them in a better place mentally is to be commended.
Keep it up guys, we have your backs.

These 2 being cited to a court to give evidence is going to open this like a tin of beans.

You would imagine they will be when it gets to court.

Certainty that both play the dementia card

Kelly already started it awhile ago when confronted re his dealings with Torbett and the TC business

Police have protected Kelly and McGinn for decades

Disgusting we have police who are doing very little to confront the enablers and paedo protectors

Lieswell should also get served with a court order to tell the world what are the results of his own recent “internal investigations” are ?

Find any paedos Peter ?

Any more “scurrilous rumours” to dispel?

Glad you said optimism GY. That's a moment of uplift for people who've been used to getting dumped.

This little piece here from the Celtic Star basically sums up the way they think. No mention of abuse that goes back 50 years within their club or the subsequent coverups and the 2 so called “Internal investigations”. Or that they knowingly re-employed a perpetrator. They blame the police for not being able to keep them safe.

“These clubs and groups are not necessarily at fault, they have been often duped, certainly underprepared but to apportion that blame entirely in that direction misses the point. These offending groups over the years have developed faster than the professionals underfunded and undermanned can keep up. When the Police and intelligence services can’t keep you safe what chance does a boys club or a scout group have?”

Back