Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

A victim has been awarded £240,000 for horrendous abuse at the hands of nuns. Good to see the lawyers have highlighted that the SNP government’s plans for child abuse would make such redress impossible.

A lawyer from the firm that represented Mr Dallas said the case showed why the Scottish Government redress plan for survivors should be scrapped.

Victims would have to pledge not to seek civil action against care providers to get a payout.

Kim Leslie, of Digby Brown, said: “Being able to hold those responsible to account would never be possible under plans for this shameful scheme.”

Sounds like they are protecting people in high places. The truth will come out and history will not look kindly on the individuals that assisted with the cover up.
The quicker , the better . SO MANY people , from SO MANY professions / levels of society / walks of life involved for SO MANY years - EVERY one of them deserves to rot in Hell . They should ALL face justice ...... but .... We shall see .
IF they all go to court to be held accountable , which should be a stonewall certainty , the courts will be gridlocked for decades .
Utter Scum , Despicable Bastards - Each and every one of them - Evil to the core .
They Don't deserve to live .

I've mentioned this already (on this thread I think). Mike Jackson approached me about my son. He was a Celtc scout at the time(93-94).
One of the other Dads, a Celtc fan, whose own son had previously been at Celtc BC warned me not to let him remove my son to Celtc BC.

Nothing ever evolved from there but I'll never forget the advice I was given.
Was Mike Jackson the best man for Billy McNeil at his wedding.

A victim has been awarded £240,000 for horrendous abuse at the hands of nuns. Good to see the lawyers have highlighted that the SNP government’s plans for child abuse would make such redress impossible.

A lawyer from the firm that represented Mr Dallas said the case showed why the Scottish Government redress plan for survivors should be scrapped.

Victims would have to pledge not to seek civil action against care providers to get a payout.

Kim Leslie, of Digby Brown, said: “Being able to hold those responsible to account would never be possible under plans for this shameful scheme.”

You probably know Sancus, but Kim Leslie was the successful lawyer in the first CSA case against Celtic.

For the Scottish government to come out and brazenly announce there would be a cover up regarding their church and football club of choice is worthy of an investigation all by itself.
It is infuriating that the media rather than report how wrong that decision was preferred to back it and let it pass like the government were making some sort of statement and dealing with the issue head on.
The media are compliant in all of this, of that there is no doubt.

I appreciate all the work that you and others are doing mate. I think you've proved beyond doubt that CBC was part of Celtic football club.

When are we going to see movement on this subject?

I'm not having a go, just asking the question.
Believe me, we are also frustrated with this. The simple answer is the upcoming court cases. Cairney was due at court on the 30th of last month and this was delayed due to a backlog at the courts. Adrian Goldberg has also taken legal advice on his film and there could be issues in his film that could affect the court case.
Once Cairney appears in court with new charges then I believe we will see some movement. This next bit I think you’ll agree is important. The reason we continually show the separate entity is it’s making more survivors speak. It also puts another part of the jigsaw together.
We also know there are live allegations against Lyness Malley and another known perpetrator. To be honest I think Covid has caused a lot of problems, not just on the charges, but also the documentary makers.
We will always keep this thread up to date and show what we can show.

Kim Leslie at Digby Brown certainly does well for her clients in these abuse cases

Patrick McGuire at Thomson’s Solicitors needs to get CFC into the courts asap to get the civil cases and hopefully we see some movement in early 2021

The SNP Govt need to be told their plans to limit and hamper abuse victims claims is a disgrace.

In fact if we had a proper media in this country and not puppets of nationalism they would highlight this disgusting plan to silence victims and limit victims compensation payments or even SNP provide compensation via Scot Govt taxpayers purse when the guilty parties should be made to compensation out of their own funds

Pity our most of our media are shitebags and corrupt

Kim Leslie at Digby Brown certainly does well for her clients in these abuse cases

Patrick McGuire at Thomson’s Solicitors needs to get CFC into the courts asap to get the civil cases and hopefully we see some movement in early 2021

The SNP Govt need to be told their plans to limit and hamper abuse victims claims is a disgrace.

In fact if we had a proper media in this country and not puppets of nationalism they would highlight this disgusting plan to silence victims and limit victims compensation payments or even SNP provide compensation via Scot Govt taxpayers purse when the guilty parties should be made to compensation out of their own funds

Pity our most of our media are shitebags and corrupt
Patrick McGuire I believe is representing a whole lot more survivors than Digby Brown.

I hope he has the same success levels as Kim Leslie then

McGuire has given CFC far too much time in the hope that CFC would avoid courts and pay out compensation to victims without the need for the victims to be subjected to courtroom interrogation

I hope the work Kim Leslie has done to force CFC to pay compensation for an Edinburgh based victim of CFC is used as a precedent and the McGuire victims get decent payouts

Please keep up the good work guys. The victims deserve apologies from CFC and compensation for their decades of torture

Also CFC should be shamed worldwide for their abhorrent behaviour in denying the victims and forced to publicly apologise the many many victims of CBC and CFC child abuse

Commonly known as a whitewash.
It may be that they knew that the resources needed would have run into millions and millions to scratch the surface of something that they knew was true, I’m sure they weighed up their liabilities and came to the conclusion that it would take more than 4 years to do the full open enquiry which would mean that they would have to go through an election process , thus would mean upsetting the people who put them there and would mean not having a job afterwards.

Turkeys never vote for Xmas

The Spotlight team have been sitting on this for a while now. We’ve decided to put it out on Twitter to gather any information.
Like it’s stated in the tweet, it could just be a coincidence. If anyone does have information then it would obviously be treated with the strictest of confidence. This is guaranteed.

The Spotlight team have been sitting on this for a while now. We’ve decided to put it out on Twitter to gather any information.
Like it’s stated in the tweet, it could just be a coincidence. If anyone does have information then it would obviously be treated with the strictest of confidence. This is guaranteed.
Perhaps any Lothian based bear or even Hearts fans might be able to help with this info?

I know this isn’t the subject of this thread but it shows what happens when one survivor comes forward. It gives others the courage. The same has happened with the survivors of cfc/cbc.
It takes a lot of courage to come forward. I know this as I’ve seen it. Just take a moment to read this from a couple of days ago...

I only hope this gives more survivors the encouragement to come forward and tell their stories.

Spotlight doesn’t just hunt down perpetrators and enablers linked to that club. We also assist survivors in helping to speak to the correct people. We know survivors view this thread. Anyone who has contacted Spotlight knows we treat it with complete confidentiality. That will never be compromised.
You guys must be a great support to the complete strangers who get in contact for either a wee sounding board or for the best direction pathway to make them get to their goal without jumping through hoops and with ease.

keep up your outstanding unselfish work, as I’ve said before I hope you have a good support system to help you and the team out as it can’t be easy to listen to these sad stories. I know how I was effected when the two close to me told me a few things so they could get it off their chest.

Spotlight doesn’t just hunt down perpetrators and enablers linked to that club. We also assist survivors in helping to speak to the correct people. We know survivors view this thread. Anyone who has contacted Spotlight knows we treat it with complete confidentiality. That will never be compromised.

It is really amazing and humbling to think this thread was started as a discussion of this scandal, and has now evolved into supporting survivors in their push for justice, and now has an organised team helping to bring information into the public domain.

I truly believe that the survivors will get, what is for them, justice. I also believe that this scandal will one day be headline news around the world.

I hope that survivors who view this thread find some comfort in knowing that every member on this forum and thread is behind them.

Ministers past and present are to face a “grilling” in the latest public hearings of the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry.

The inquiry into historic abuse, chaired by Lady Smith, has already heard damning evidence about the neglect and brutality endured by young Scots over many decades.

Now senior politicians and civil servants will be asked to explain their relative inaction when calls for a public inquiry into institutional child abuse in Scotland were turning into a clamour.

Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale, the former first minister, will give evidence this week, as will Cathy Jamieson, minister for education and young people and justice minister in his successive Labour governments. Peter Peacock, who followed Ms Jamieson at education, Michael McMahon, former Labour MSP, and the retired civil servant Colin MacLean will also give evidence. The hearings, which begin tomorrow for the next fortnight, will hear written contributions from Jeane Freeman, the health secretary, and Gerald Byrne, a senior civil servant, this week.

These witnesses will be followed next week by senior figures in the SNP, which has been in power since 2007.

John Swinney, deputy first minister and education secretary, and Kenny MacAskill, former justice secretary, are also thought certain to be called.

Mr MacAskill, now an SNP MP, was considered by opponents to have been a major obstacle to an inquiry. Graeme Pearson, the former chief police officer who was Labour’s justice spokesman during his time as an MSP from 2011 to 2015, was among the MSPs pushing for an inquiry on behalf of constituents.

He said: “As a new parliamentarian, I naively thought that ministers and senior officials would be keen to hear about these matters and do all they could to try to make things right. I was shocked at the lack of urgency, even though by 2011 the calls for an inquiry into institutional abuse, and the need for accountability, seemed irresistible.”

One insider said he had been told that ministers and civil servants would face a “grilling” in the days ahead about why they took so long to act. He added: “Noises emerged as far back as 2004 when Labour was in power. In 2007 the Shaw Report was commissioned and confirmed there had been widespread abuse and neglect. More funding was required to investigate further, but requests were turned down and there was a feeling that the Scottish government wanted to avoid scrutiny.”

Alan Draper, of In Care Abuse Survivors, said: “It is only right that people like Jack McConnell and Kenny MacAskill are held to account in the same way the inquiry in England and Wales has held politicians to account. We need to understand why there was so much delay, why the politicians seemed intent on getting away with doing as little as possible. I was chair of INCAS back in 2004 and wrote to every MSP. The evidence for action was overwhelming and Jack McConnell issued a public apology as a result, but he should have known an apology was not enough.

“Sixteen years later we are finally in the midst of an inquiry, but for many of our members it is too late. Frank Docherty, who founded our group, is just one of many members who have died and been denied justice.”

A Scottish government spokesman said: “We continue to listen to all the issues and are determined to ensure lessons are learnt to better protect children in care and support survivors.”

One insider said he had been told that ministers and civil servants would face a “grilling” in the days ahead about why they took so long to act. He added: “Noises emerged as far back as 2004 when Labour was in power. In 2007 the Shaw Report was commissioned and confirmed there had been widespread abuse and neglect. More funding was required to investigate further, but requests were turned down and there was a feeling that the Scottish government wanted to avoid scrutiny.”
One insider and several million outsiders thinking the same thing there.

The quest for justice by a particular few on this thread is simply remarkable.

When do the victims get their day in court, or Is there a date in place already?

It feels like the incredible effort has been ongoing forever, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for the survivors?

Theres already been a successful civil case WAR, as well as the criminal convictions mate.

We don’t want to release the players name out of respect.

There are a significant number in progress which, as BN94 Said, have not been helped by the COVID impact to the courts.

Back