Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

One thing that bothers me about the clippings pictured is them congratulating the retiring police chief.

I have posted in this thread a few months ago, my concerns about the old Lothian and Borders police and their potential involvement in east coast issues and how did/could that have impacted on any investigation?

No whitewash? Aye ok Jack.

Ministers were not trying to “cover things up” when they resisted calls for an inquiry into the physical and sexual abuse of children in care, a former first minister, has said.

Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale, who was in office from 2001 to 2007, told the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry that any decisions taken were “trying to do the right things by survivors, and by those who might go into care in the future”.

He said: “The core decision was about trying to do the right thing — not to impress the public, or the parliament, or to cover things up. I think the majority of people involved were trying to achieve the right outcome.”

The latest phase of the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, heard before Lady Smith, is exploring why calls made between August 2002 and December 2014 for a public inquiry were resisted by ministers. The inquiry was set up in October 2015 and is investigating abuse of children in care in Scotland or whose care was arranged in Scotland.

Lord McConnell said: “I was very clear from the first conversation that there would be an apology. I wanted to ensure the timing and delivery were appropriate to give a strong feeling to survivors that it was a genuine and heartfelt apology.

“In my own head, there was never any doubt from the first discussion in 2002 that at the right minute I’d deliver an apology and that it had to be done by the first minister, and in the strongest possible terms.”

Lord McConnell also said that he felt “the very experience of being heard was important for survivors”.

Lady Smith asked Lord McConnell how survivors had felt about a full public inquiry, if “at one end you had survivors who were very anti an inquiry and the other you have people pushing for one”. He replied: “I would say more uncomfortable rather than anti — there were survivors who were uncomfortable with the idea of an inquiry.”

Ministers were not trying to “cover things up” when they resisted calls for an inquiry into the physical and sexual abuse of children in care, a former first minister, has said.

Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale, who was in office from 2001 to 2007, told the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry that any decisions taken were “trying to do the right things by survivors, and by those who might go into care in the future”.

He said: “The core decision was about trying to do the right thing — not to impress the public, or the parliament, or to cover things up. I think the majority of people involved were trying to achieve the right outcome.”

The latest phase of the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, heard before Lady Smith, is exploring why calls made between August 2002 and December 2014 for a public inquiry were resisted by ministers. The inquiry was set up in October 2015 and is investigating abuse of children in care in Scotland or whose care was arranged in Scotland.

Lord McConnell said: “I was very clear from the first conversation that there would be an apology. I wanted to ensure the timing and delivery were appropriate to give a strong feeling to survivors that it was a genuine and heartfelt apology.

“In my own head, there was never any doubt from the first discussion in 2002 that at the right minute I’d deliver an apology and that it had to be done by the first minister, and in the strongest possible terms.”

Lord McConnell also said that he felt “the very experience of being heard was important for survivors”.

Lady Smith asked Lord McConnell how survivors had felt about a full public inquiry, if “at one end you had survivors who were very anti an inquiry and the other you have people pushing for one”. He replied: “I would say more uncomfortable rather than anti — there were survivors who were uncomfortable with the idea of an inquiry.”
Who was it that walked away from that inquiry citing government interference?

Anyone remember?

Hollow statement near the end of this article. So "Lord" McConnell have you even considered the painful struggle for the many other survivors that you have blatantly ignored in your country?

"My apology was genuine and supported by all who were affected and all who cared. So too, was my hope that the people and organisations who had run these homes would, at long last, act to shed light on this dark period and start to deliver truth and justice.
But too many of those organisations, many religious, some not, still don’t deal with the past honestly. They have continued to conceal what happened to children in their care. The culture of denial and cover-up is deep.
Almost 13 years later, the victims are still waiting for answers. They deserve, and we must demand, that those responsible for both the abuse and the cover-ups are finally held accountable.
I sincerely hope the ongoing Scottish National Child Abuse Inquiry will finally do that.
We still do not know all that happened in homes and orphanages like Smyllum. But, if Scotland is ever to learn from the past, we must get to the truth and there must be justice."

Last edited:
Who was it that walked away from that inquiry citing government interference?

Anyone remember?

Thanks mate. I knew there were articles posted ages ago.

Makes me wonder if any snp ' senior members ' or scot. govt. would be's are up to their neck in this wretched episode.

When the whole sorry story properly breaks they’ll be falling over themselves to condemn it, wringing their hands in sorrow and revulsion when the truth is they all stood by and done nothing for decades. You can’t come back from that, they are finished in terms of media work.
No they will just go to confession & everything will be ok that's how it works isn't it

Hollow statement near the end of this article. So "Lord" McConnell have you even considered the painful struggle for the many other survivors that you have blatantly ignored in your country?

"My apology was genuine and supported by all who were affected and all who cared. So too, was my hope that the people and organisations who had run these homes would, at long last, act to shed light on this dark period and start to deliver truth and justice.
But too many of those organisations, many religious, some not, still don’t deal with the past honestly. They have continued to conceal what happened to children in their care. The culture of denial and cover-up is deep.
Almost 13 years later, the victims are still waiting for answers. They deserve, and we must demand, that those responsible for both the abuse and the cover-ups are finally held accountable.
I sincerely hope the ongoing Scottish National Child Abuse Inquiry will finally do that.
We still do not know all that happened in homes and orphanages like Smyllum. But, if Scotland is ever to learn from the past, we must get to the truth and there must be justice."

In that case Jack you use the law like a sledgehammer. No pussyfooting about get them dragged into court under oath. Raid offices etc. Close down organisations until they cooperate.

So what was the "right thing" Is it something only he knows as he doesn't seem to say what the right thing is. Mc connell is just another one celtic friendly rhat involved in the cover up

When I first heard about you guys were going through old celtic publications for connections between the boys club and the mothership I wondered what you would find. Now I wonder if Celtic wrote about anything other then their boys club. The volume of what you found just shows what a bunch of nonces their whole organization is.

The labour party are every bit as complicit as the SNP regarding covering up the goings on at the scum hut
Two cheeks of the same arse
Scotland has had people in positions of power ranging from The Coatbridge deviant (Labour) to Mr Useless (SNP) who have done everything they can to deflect away from these abhorrent crimes
You don’t need to be Hercule Poirot to work out what these people have in common and you don’t need to be the brightest spark to work out a good place to start with any investigations, two elderly protectors and ex directors.
What you do need is someone in a position of power to want this to happen, someone with a conscience, someone with compassion, someone with morals, someone who believes in justice and someone who is not afraid to raise his head above the parapet
I sincerely hope the victims get their closure as this has dragged on long enough for these poor people

Sorry, but that's absolute nonsense. My entire family and any Rangers family I knew growing up were Labour voters.
My grandfather was a union rep in the shipyards and Labour Party member all his days (most).My dad was a shop steward in Rolls Royce and Labour Party member for years.Both left the Labour Party for the same reason.A friend of mine in the rail industry has just resigned from the Labour Party for the exact same reason as my family.The Labour Party is infiltrated especially up here with you know what.

The labour party are every bit as complicit as the SNP regarding covering up the goings on at the scum hut
Scotland has had people in positions of power ranging from The Coatbridge deviant (Labour) to Mr Useless (SNP) who have done everything they can to deflect away from these abhorrent crimes
You don’t need to be Hercule Poirot to work out what these people have in common and you don’t need to be the brightest spark to work out a good place to start with any investigations, two elderly protectors and ex directors.
What you do need is someone in a position of power to want this to happen, someone with a conscience, someone with compassion, someone with morals, someone who believes in justice and someone who is not afraid to raise his head above the parapet
I sincerely hope the victims get their closure as this has dragged on long enough for these poor people
I totally agree with this. There are certain individuals within the Labour Party that have to be questioned under oath.
Reference the past directors, we know who they are and where they are. We ask for patience on this.

I am a young 70 year old..Lived in Glasgow for almost 64 years..saw how GCC was run by sellik minded people for many years..ditto the labour party in scotland.
Guess we'll agree to disagree
I have lived in Inverclyde for almost 50 years and every Labour Councillor bar the odd one has been of that ilk. The present Labour controlled council has one non catholic councillor and I know of two former non catholic Labour councillors who left the party for that very reason. Times have changed greatly over the years.

I am a young 70 year old..Lived in Glasgow for almost 64 years..saw how GCC was run by sellik minded people for many years..ditto the labour party in scotland.
Guess we'll agree to disagree
I'm not saying they don't worm their way into the top jobs within the Labour Party, they do that in all walks of life, especially these days. My point was that Labour were the dominant political party in Scotland for many years and every working class, Rangers supporting family that I knew voted for them, hence their huge support in Scotland. The Tories and the SNP were pretty much an irrelevance.

I'm not saying they don't worm their way into the top jobs within the Labour Party, they do that in all walks of life, especially these days. My point was that Labour were the dominant political party in Scotland for many years and every working class, Rangers supporting family that I knew voted for them, hence their huge support in Scotland. The Tories and the SNP were pretty much an irrelevance.
With respect..lets agree to disagree
Cheers

I have lived in Inverclyde for almost 50 years and every Labour Councillor bar the odd one has been of that ilk. The present Labour controlled council has one non catholic councillor and I know of two former non catholic Labour councillors who left the party for that very reason. Times have changed greatly over the years.
I know this is over simplifying but the more good people that leave political positions because of them, leaves more political positions open for more of them.

The only answer is a call to arms for any politically motivated Protestants. We have been asleep for long enough.

Scotland is run by the minority, not possible in any other democratic society imho.

The tide started to turn with the closure of the shipyards and that was a long time ago.

794 pages in and I'm sorry but a lot of irrelevant posts (self included at times if I'm honest). The above suggestion though has to be taken on board AND SOON to expose the real depth of this cover up.
Put simply the way things are progressing these old bastards will very likely be allowed to take the VITAL evidence to their graves. That scenario would be such a travesty. It truly would.
If it's allowed to happen every one one of us involved will have failed miserably.
Get these enabling old gargoyle's in a witness box and pressed hard under questioning before it's too late. It's the real elephant in the room yet the prospect of that reality is no more likely now than it's ever been.

Last edited:
794 pages in and I'm sorry but a lot of irrelevant posts (self included at times if I'm honest). The above suggestion though has to taken on board AND SOON to expose the real depth of this cover up.
Put simply the way things are progressing these old bastards will very likely be allowed to take the VITAL evidence to their graves. That scenario would be such a travesty. It truly would.
If it's allowed to happen everyone one of us involved will have failed miserably.
Get these enabling old gargoyle's in a witness box and pressed hard under questioning before it's too late. It's the real elephant in the room yet the prospect of that reality is no more likely now than it's ever been.
I’m absolutely convinced they would be in the dock if Covid never happened. On the other hand it’s gave us more time to investigate further and uncover more.
The connections are there and we’re finding them. One special individual they thought couldn’t be found has been, and there could be a wee surprise for said person in the near future.
I take onboard the frustration people are feeling that these beasts and enablers could take it to their grave. Some already have and statues should be removed.
For what they knew and covered up over decades, then that club should no longer be operating. It’s a scandal that we have many apologists within the Scottish government and press that won’t face it and do the right thing.

Back