Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Couple of points worth raising -

1) Firstly, I think Hibs owe Rangers an apology for not divulging Neely’s background. You would have thought they would at least given an informal heads up, that way he would not have been allowed to commit any further crimes. They are as much to blame as Neely for what happened.

2) There is something about the recent Neely managers office story that just seems a bit off. Whether it be the timing of the information being released, or the fact a coach would have had access, or whether a young player would have been in the building on that many occasions, I don’t know. The story was amended in The Sun several hours after initial publication, so what parts of the reported story were changed, and why? If the story was reported correctly initially, then why was it later changed? To be clear, I am not casting any doubt that Neely committed abuse while at Rangers, nor wish to downplay the crimes in any way. Perhaps Spotlight can shed any further opinion or facts on this? I just wish Neely had faced justice long before he died, and his victims would have seen him go to jail.

3) I know we have been criticised for not releasing any form of statement since the review, and that criticism is probably justified. I would sincerely hope there is something forthcoming shortly. There been an outcry in the press from certain journalists about it, some piping up on the issue for the first time after decades. However, have the other clubs who have not said anything since the review been attacked the same way we have? If not, why? Agendas?

4) Where crimes have been committed and went completely unknown, it is hard to pin the blame on the organisation itself, whether it be in sport, business, or any other walk of life, and I include Celtic in that. What matters though is if anything is covered up, goes unreported, victims testimonies dismissed, knowingly employing those with a history of abuse, or in some cases allowed to happen. That did not happen at Rangers. It happened on an industrial scale at Celtic, and it happened on a much smaller scale at Hibs. That said, I would be very disappointed in our board if the issue is ignored for much longer. If there is no doubt that what the victims have alleged is true, then I would at least hope Hibs and Rangers could issue joint compensation to the victims.

Remember, Celtic's first investigation dismissed allegations of abuse out of hand. Now that far more is out in the open, and certain individuals have been jailed for criminality, they can't be so bold. However, there is no reason to suppose that this presumably ongoing investigation will be anything other than a repeated exercise in self-protection - is it looking, perhaps, to secure assurance that, legally, Celtic Boys Club was indeed a separate entity, and that any financial recompense that might be sought of them in the future will be limited? - especially since the belatedly released SFA review, which avoids, very possibly deliberately, the scale of abuse connected with the club, has put them under no pressure to do more than reiterate "sympathy, regret and sorrow to all those affected across Scottish football".

A Westminster-led investigation is required, and if Rangers are to make a statement in response to the SFA's inadequate effort, it should say this. Were we only to offer similar 'apology' to Celtic's, it would satisfy those who are calling for one, like Spiers and Thomson, only by allowing them to call for a line to to be drawn under matters and for everybody to focus on the good of the game moving forward.

Nah. Get guilt apportioned as due -likewise, sanctions recommended - first.

I think this story appeared a while back, reading it again he says .....
" “Looking back now I’m so glad I had the guts to leave when I did,” he said. “Nobody from Rangers ever asked me why I was leaving or if there was anything they could do to change my mind.”
What could Rangers know if nobody told them also leaving Rangers as a youngster in the years he is talking about wouldn't be that usual I think considering the players Rangers where signing at that time.
I know I’m being a bit defensive here because it’s Rangers but questions still need to be asked of this .
How true is the “Rangers never asked me“ line?
And, did nobody else, like parents or friends, ask?

I agree fully with what your saying, I think that’s what I’m trying to get at, but I would have like Rangers to acknowledged the report at least and maybe said something at a later date, because what we are finding now is people coming out on the attack and that’s not a good look for the club. I do agree that we cant just start apologising for something just because there’s a bloodlust for it though.
One of the considerations must be that to apologise following this report is to give it credibility.
Based only on what I’ve read on here, Rangers are maybe not happy with how the report has been concluded and reported so they don’t want to endorse it.

One of the victim’s sister and friend (in today’s paper )gave evidence to the enquiry to support his claim , yet in the report they used his Father’s evidence who has sadly passed away and can’t defend what he said.
This looks like they have something to hide by not including the other evidence presented to them in the report.

If we apologize then we are admitting that it happened. One thing we have learned from the papes is to say nothing until evidence is shown as truth. They have a compliant media under their thumbs including the BBC while we don't talk to the MSM in Scotland and I would rather not talk to them than let them publish their version of truth. They will be found out eventually as were both Pravda and the Deutsche Beobachter.
We shouldn’t be following their lead on anything in regards to this topic.

T6lfKdp.jpg

I know I’m being a bit defensive here because it’s Rangers but questions still need to be asked of this .
They never.
How can the SFA decline to comment due to the report being ‘independent’ yet ask the clubs to apologise for what was written in the report ?
As far as I am aware the SFA paid for the enquiry ?

How can the SFA decline to comment due to the report being ‘independent’ yet ask the clubs to apologise for what was written in the report ?
The Review Panel are obviously a 'separate entity'.

But you have to admire the footwork - "The SFA declined to comment, due to the report being independent." "The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football team declined to comment."

Even Nippy would have proud of that smokescreen.

Reminds me of the old adage "He who pays the piper, calls the tune"
They just don't get it plenty of clubs have had abusers, but none have continued to employ the scum, and none have KNOWINGLY took them on re employed them , nor have any club to my knowledge passed on a Paedophile to another Unsuspecting Club, The Guilt is with the perps ,the anger and fury belong to the silent ones and the ones that continue to enable, by their attacks on the survivors. Celtic covered this up for decades allowing it to continue, Hibernian Knew they had a peadophile in their midst they Knowingly moved him on allowing it to continue, thank God Neely never went to Celtic, Rangers did the right thing, and after an independent enquiry i f Rangers are found to be of Blame Rangers will continue to do the right thing, and if that means punishment, and compensation and an apology so be it, but only after an INDEPENDENT enquiry.

Last edited:
The victim claims that it happened in the mangers office at Ibrox(according to the Sun) , if this is true Rangers should deal with it the proper way by investigating and discussing with the victim and his lawyers.
What I don’t understand is abuse on boys happened at a football club on the East End of the City , in the dressing rooms at the training ground by paid employees (he admitted in court he was a paid employee)of this club yet MSSM say it is a separate entity .?
What are the MSSM scared of , the truth

If the victim has not told somebody ie., Parents , Police , Friends or someone at the Club then in all fairness there is nothing the Club can really do unless it has been reported to them . I think someone responsible at the Club should get an investigation going as soon as possible before we start getting the moonhowlers from the east end marching about with banners and acting like put upon victims who are just the same as all the other clubs that are as guilty as them . It would be right up their alley to be able to point the finger at us to water down the atrocities that happened at the piggery .

If the victim has not told somebody ie., Parents , Police , Friends or someone at the Club then in all fairness there is nothing the Club can really do unless it has been reported to them . I think someone responsible at the Club should get an investigation going as soon as possible before we start getting the moonhowlers from the east end marching about with banners and acting like put upon victims who are just the same as all the other clubs that are as guilty as them . It would be right up their alley to be able to point the finger at us to water down the atrocities that happened at the piggery .
It’s only after Andy Woodward came out and people felt the need to speak. These boys have lives with this on their own for decades and spoke to police about it due to feeling now the time was right. These guys may have kids themselves now and felt they wanted to be pRtnif something to our those dirty bastards, including neely, and be part of an enquiry to prevent or at least reduce the chance of it happening to someone else, perhaps their sons in the future.

Mark , now I don’t want a ban again, but can you advise why I got a ban three years ago when I raised rhe

an absolute joke of an organisation. Their lawyers have been reading it and reading it and all to try and avoid any blame. I think it’s utter nonsense that convicted paedophiles ah e their names removed from the report. Unreal

Totally agree mate.

We know pretty much all of them, but that’s a separate issue.

It’s only after Andy Woodward came out and people felt the need to speak. These boys have lives with this on their own for decades and spoke to police about it due to feeling now the time was right. These guys may have kids themselves now and felt they wanted to be pRtnif something to our those dirty bastards, including neely, and be part of an enquiry to prevent or at least reduce the chance of it happening to someone else, perhaps their sons in the future.

And as you are probably aware, a fair number of these people just couldn’t cope & took their own lives, either directly or indirectly, at an unnaturally early age.

Even in today’s podcast, Michelle Gray talks about Andrew trying it.

I feel so sorry for the Grays. Again the SFA have let the victims of child abuse in Scottish football down. When will the people involved become accountable. When will the Scottish parliament ask for an independent review into child abuse in Scottish football. Douglas Ross mp wont even raise a hand to help. You get the usual powder puff response. Why would he his paymasters are the SFA!

Headline in The Sun today stating “Rangers and other clubs” have failed to apologise regarding CSA. The story was updated several hours later and changed to “RANGERS are still the only club named in the Scottish football sex abuse report to remain silent”.

Firstly, why did the first headline lead with Rangers? “Rangers and other clubs”? Seriously? I don’t mean this in a crass way, but we are a corner shop compared to Celtic’s Asda superstore when it comes to this issue.

Secondly, and it should be noted, that Hibs and a few other clubs mentioned have not explicitly apologised. They have taken Celtic’s approach with “expressing sorrow” statement. In fact, most of the clubs have not apologised. Yet.

Thirdly, why was the story in The Sun changed yet again? Are we being active on these type of stories in the background? Or are other clubs contacting the media to say that they have released statements, and “apologised”?

We need to issue a statement ASAP. Regardless of whether it is to partially discredit the SFA review, to apologise, to “express sorrow”, to advise we are investigating further. Anything. Just acknowledge the issue of the back of the review, as we are being painted as the bad guys by some sections of the media. It is also showing us as not being overly proactive, and could eventually lead to accusations that we are not recognising those allegedly affected. Even if our issue is relatively minor with regards to other clubs failures, silence, and facilitation, we still owe those under our care at the time some form of recognition and acknowledgement. That is the least we can do for the victims.

You are quite right @Snakehips The old adage of the truth still putting on its boots while the lie is 1/2 way round the world applies.
The club should be taking action even if it just similar to the rest (most unsatisfactory) but to just sit there like an Aunt Sally is not the answer

You are quite right @Snakehips The old adage of the truth still putting on its boots while the lie is 1/2 way round the world applies.
The club should be taking action even if it just similar to the rest (most unsatisfactory) but to just sit there like an Aunt Sally is not the answer

When a full and indepent inquiry is held and we are found to have done any wrong then yes an apology is due.

Not on the back of an SFA led cover up of a cover up.

When a full and indepent inquiry is held and we are found to have done any wrong then yes an apology is due.

Not on the back of an SFA led cover up of a cover up.
If the victims want an independent inquiry, which clearly appears to be the case, then there should be one, no question. Humza is clearly too busy to deal with this though, what with setting up virtual online celebrity parties to further the SNP’s push for independence.

And if an inquiry is what we as a club want, then we should at least come out and say so. Perhaps the club feel aggrieved by the tone, balance and bias of the report, and by the fact someone, with Martin Henry’s very questionable associations, is dictating what their actions should be. I am sure the issue is being discussed at board level, but they are running out of time to say something publicly on the matter.

If the victims want an independent inquiry, which clearly appears to be the case, then there should be one, no question. Humza is clearly too busy to deal with this though, what with setting up virtual online celebrity parties to further the SNP’s push for independence.

And if an inquiry is what we as a club want, then we should at least come out and say so. Perhaps the club feel aggrieved by the tone, balance and bias of the report, and by the fact someone, with Martin Henry’s very questionable associations, is dictating what their actions should be. I am sure the issue is being discussed at board level, but they are running out of time to say something publicly on the matter.

Do you think selliks hawf arsed regurgitated apology (which didnt actually contain the word sorry) was adequate?

And selected the person to carry it out, knowing there would be many conflicts of interest therefor rendering the guy a patsy if there’s blowback and the delay in the final report being release...while Celtics lawyers rewrite, redact and omit to try abs spread blame. These conflicts are Henry’s involvement with the Catholic Church and Keith O’Brien, his involvement in LGBT Edinburgh working alongside Rennie and Strachan (peadophiles) etc.

I disagree, Rangers should not take any action at the moment. To do so is easing the building pressure on Celtic. They’re the real culprits here, the club know this is an orchestrated plan to 1) pass the blame. 2) change the narrative away from Rangers league win. Rangers will come out in good time, not the press prodding us with a stick to come out and take centre stage in place of the real villains of the piece. In short our club can’t be reactive when they certainly aren’t first in line to be. We do have to show accountability, apologise and possibly pay some compensation to the victims of Neilly and the other guy...but at the right time.

With the publication of an insignificant report, the pulling of (or censorship) of a television programme and the non interest of newspapers and politician,I am left wondering as to what is happening.

Now it might be that press and politicians remember “Nick” and the wild allegations which cost people & publications their reputations. Once bitten, twice shy syndrome. It might be the influence of a church on their flock but the most obvious to me is that there is an injunction or super injunction in place regarding this.

I am probably wrong but something stinks. Stinks to high heaven on the lack of traction. What is it?

As the Daily Recod said 5 years ago “It is not about the stories they are trying to stop but the absurdity of trying to prevent a free press identifying them when the whole world already knows who they are.”

So is it Celtic FC or is there someone else preventing reporters reporting

Last edited:
With the publication of an insignificant report, the pulling of (or censorship) of a television programme and the non interest of newspapers and politician,I am left wondering as to what is happening.

Now it might be that press and politicians remember “Nick” and the wild allegations which cost people & publications their reputations. Once bitten, twice shy syndrome. It might be the influence of a church on their flock but the most obvious to me is that there is an injunction or super injunction in place regarding this.

I am probably wrong but something stinks. Stinks to high heaven on the lack of traction. What is it?

As the Daily Recod said 5 years ago “It is not about the stories they are trying to stop but the absurdity of trying to prevent a free press identifying them when the whole world already knows who they are.”

So is it Celtic FC or is there someone else preventing reporters reporting
I think this is what we are probably all thinking.

Back