Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Probably been discussed earlier in this thread, but I watched "Football's Darkest Secret" on BBC1 last night and it was horrific viewing. The thing that struck me most was it appeared to be individuals across a number of clubs operating (mostly) independently involving literally hundreds of boys. The BBC have clearly commissioned their own investigation and reports, timed to come out after the findings of the 700 page Sheldon review were released earlier this month. This report was frank, open, honest and covered EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.

Compare that to what's happened in Scotland, a 60 page report, held back for years, undoubtedly watered down before release, and doesn't come close to hitting the mark. Yes it''s pointed out a number of individuals at a number of clubs, but it stopped way short of hitting the biggest bullseye I've ever seen....and there's no follow up exposé commissioned by the beeb. We all know there was a full on ring operating in Scotland.

Beggars belief (and I use that word deliberately).

The things that I’ve heard will live with me forever. That’s why we are fighting hard to get it into the public domain. What’s gone on at Celtic has to be heard. There will be more charges on certain individuals but we won’t stop there. We have also gone after the enablers and uncovered abuse on foreign soil. I can honestly tell you that influential people are now listening to us. Especially abroad.
That is excellent news regarding influential people.

can anyone give an update on how Kenny Campbell is doing through all this?

Kenny spoke to MG last week or so for a catch up,from what I gather he’s still not been contacted from anyone from CFCcbc.

And certainly no financial settlement or any contact,he’ll be one of the first civil cases.

Said in many times,if it’s £100 or £100k if he wins ,the damage has been already done to Kenny and others.

Who would have Macari taken these concerns to?

The chairman...Kevin Kelly

Remember Hugh Birt and how he was treated for raising "concerns" around CBC?
Usual, drag Rangers into a story about Macari.

But, a question about Macari, did he come up through the Celtic Boys' Club? If so, would have it have been about the same time as Torbett.

He again makes the prison kitchen argument, that the boys club formed an integral part of the business, and that therefore CFC were and are responsible for safety at CBC.

My first time posting in this thread although I have read it since it started. Just wanted to say utmost respect to you guys and all you are doing here. I grew up in a village where a few friends played for Celtic boys club. My friends older brother played for Celtic also. The primary I went to played against the primary where the Celtic boys club players went to. The lads I knew were pretty open about not being caught alone with certain people. Open secret right enough.

Anybody on the team ask Victoria Derbyshire why the segment of the alleged Celtic paedophile ring on the programme on Football Darkest Secrets was not aired?
Sorry should have said i just watched Part 3 of Footballs Darkest Secrets.

Those poor souls, at least they have some sort of closure. Makes me sick to my stomach that Separate Entity FC continue to deny and deflect. Denying the victims their own closure.

God help this f****d up country.

MD asked the Grays would they comment and he will add comments the end of the programme about Andrew,they obliged.

Daly knows so much more and I dont think we’ll see anything we dont already know or have seen.

The show was not exactly revelatory....and to me Daly merely confirmed what many already knew about Jock Steins involvement in and the cover up of Torbetts departure in 1974.

20th November 2007

Lawwell hits back at slurs on Stein

Peter Lawwell last night pledged to take action if the "Big Jock Knew" campaign persists in grounds around the country.
The Celtic chief executive conveyed his outrage at the slogan, chanted by rival fans in reference to the child sex abuse charges for which the former Celtic Boys' Club manager, James Torbett, was found guilty.
The campaign has grown in popularity since attempts were made to nominate Jock Stein for a posthumous knighthood.
It is also regarded as a loophole' for Rangers fans who have been sanctioned for signing the outlawed sectarian song The Billy Boys. Chants, banners and stickers have also been evident at other grounds, with Hearts fans heard chanting the slogan during a recent league match at Parkhead.
Gordon Smith, the Scottish FA chief executive, also insisted in having a banner carrying the words removed during a Scottish Cup tie between Newton Stewart and Linlithgow Rose.
Last night, Lawwell explained Celtic's silent stance but, with the blessing of the Stein family, warned the club would act if the campaign does not abate.
"It is a poisonous, repugnant, despicable and even cowardly campaign,"
he said. "He is one of Celtic's greats, Scottish football's in fact, and this campaign is nothing short of disgraceful.
"In the context of this week in Scotland, when we came close to qualifying for the European Championships, it should be remembered that this man died managing Scotland, taking them to the World Cup finals.
"We haven't responded because we didn't want to dignify it with public statement, but we have been working behind the scenes and have spoken with the family, who are content with the way we are dealing with it.

The same way you have continually responded

Silence.

So here we are in 2021 and it's been confirmed on national TV Stein knew and your club covered up Torbetts departure with nonsense about "work"
The same excuse was used in 1991 when another one was forced to resign in shame

Neither crimes were ever reported to the authorities.

Last edited:

In 1986 Kevin Kelly would have been vice chairman of CFC and would have been fully in the loop about any " internal investigations " that were(or were not)going on.
As Vice Chairman we would have been fully aware of what was going on within the club regarding damage limitation.

Mr Kelly is a bare faced liar

In 1986 Kevin Kelly would have been vice chairman of CFC and would have been fully in the loop about any " internal investigations " that were(or were not)going on.
As Vice Chairman we would have been fully aware of what was going on within the club regarding damage limitation.

Shocking this bastard has never had to face the police or the law courts

Kevin Kelly was a Director of Celtic from 1971-1994.

This raises 2 points for me.

As a director he would be attending board meetings where sensitive issues affecting the club would be discussed.

As a Kelly, he was part of that family’s dynasty at the club. A dynasty that tightly controlled everything that went on as they sought to cling to power.

The idea that he didn’t know is utter nonsense and a lie.

I dont trust that Mark Daly, I feel he is more interested in trying to fabricate equivalences between football teams than he is in trying to force the truth to prevail. He is part of the problem and won’t help to get justice for victims whatsoever.
The programme was mostly about Neely and Rangers kept getting mentioned . The programme started at 11.45 pm and it was about 12. 20am before Celtic were mentioned , I was disgusted at that and nipped off to my bed and will watch the rest of it later . Daly by the way has a strange way of telling the story and making the filth look like they were just part of something which was going on in football at that time making every other Club look just as guilty as the filth . :mad:

The programme was mostly about Neely and Rangers kept getting mentioned . The programme started at 11.45 pm and it was about 12. 20am before Celtic were mentioned , I was disgusted at that and nipped off to my bed and will watch the rest of it later . Daly by the way has a strange way of telling the story and making the filth look like they were just part of something which was going on in football at that time making every other Club look just as guilty as the filth . :mad:
Don’t trust him, his objective is highlighted by the whitewashed inquiry who thanked him for his contribution. The small article written in the Rangers magazine has been giving credence due to the need to fabricate equivalences between football teams. He spent all that time finding what an amateur journalist quoted on a Rangers magazine but couldn’t find anything in how the main stream media reported the dismissal at the time, that sums up his true objective.
He isnt the answer, in fact he is the problem.

He isn’t the only journalist though, another one, Charles Lavery got involved via Twitter after the channel 4 Gordon Woods documentary stating he knew more than what he did and the narrative that they all want to use to drown out the truth, i.e it happened throughout society and all clubs involved failed with equivalent wrongdoings. Scottish media has been bastardised by Celtic FC.

Last edited:
Anybody on the team ask Victoria Derbyshire why the segment of the alleged Celtic paedophile ring on the programme on Football Darkest Secrets was not aired?
I don't know the reasons but could it be the following :

There are current live court cases and future ones in the pipeline so Dan Gordon and his team have decided that they can't output anything that influences these cases.

Do Celtic have some kind of injunction in place to stop their name being mentioned - not even sure whether this is possible.

Was it decided that the celtic paedophiles ring is a series of programs in itself.

There's obviously people in power trying to stifle the Celtic story but just wondered if the above are the most relevant regarding Dan Gordon's work.

Also noticed the BBC Scotland showed the Mark Daly program from a few years ago last night which to me looks as they are trying to show they are actively contributing to the subject, but in reality have done nothing since then.
Edit: Didn't realise this was an updated version of Mark Daly's program shown last night.

Could it also be that Dan Gordon felt he couldn't add much to the Mark Daly program and that's why he left out Scottish football.

Last edited:

There are current live court cases and future ones in the pipeline so Dan Gordon and his team have decided that they can't output anything that influences these cases.

Do Celtic have some kind of injunction in place to stop their name being mentioned - not even sure whether this is possible.

Was it decided that the celtic paedophiles ring is a series of programs in itself.

There's obviously people in power trying to stifle the Celtic story but just wondered if the above are the most relevant regarding Dan Gordon's work.

Also noticed the BBC Scotland showed the Mark Daly program from a few years ago last night which to me looks as they are trying to show they are actively contributing to the subject, but in reality have done nothing since then.

Could it also be that Dan Gordon felt he couldn't add much to the Mark Daly program and that's why he left out Scottish football.
Tbf, the only reason that Dan Gordon couldn't add to Daly's programme would be due to prejudicial reasons. You look at the work that the the Spotlight guys have done & they initially wouldn’t have had the proper knowledge in how to do it, or the contacts & resources to do it in the same way that Daly let alone Dan Gordon could. And also when comparing the work done by the group compared to what appeared to be omitted in the updated broadcast last night, then hopefully the same (prejudice) is the reason for what appeared to be some glaring omissions in that programme.

That's bollocks...mc cafferty and the up an coming trialist have barely been mentioned in any serious depth,it's all been the torbett show so far.
Any documentary maker could and should do a stand alone series on the biggest paedophile club in world sport,with an episode dedicated to each of their convicted paedophiles & directors and the web of cover up and deceit,that's taken place over 55 years and fling in a reaction from the kiddy fiddlers sponsors over the years too.

I think there are two ways to view the Dan Gordon and Mark Daly documentaries. 1, a broad general approach at highlighting child abuse within football. Or 2, a base line in which to start digging deeper as to the real possibility of an organised network of peadophilia within the game. I personally dont see adequate closure with these documentaries as they end with some very serious unanswered questions.

Its time for MPs and journalists to start digging if we are to truly get to the bottom of it all.

Last edited:
I think there are two ways to view the Dan Gordon and Mark Daly documentaries. 1, a broad general approach at highlighting child abuse within football. Or 2, a base line in which to start digging deeper as to the real possibility of an organised network of peadophilia within the game. I personally dont see adequate closure with these documentaries as they end with some very serious unanswered questions.

Its time for MPs and journalists to start digging if we are to truly get to the bottom of it all.
I agree with you pal. BBC are sleekit timorous beasties to paraphrase. they are leading up to something else here with the, “look we reported on this years ago” There’s more to come IMO from bbc Scotland and it’ll be to create some sort of equivalence to the other football teams. On another note. What happened to Lowell suing about BJK?

My friends brother played for Celtic first team. Not a regular but was on the bench a lot and scored. Went to KOllie same time as mccoist too,came up throughthe boys club and his life deteriorated soon after after K ilmarnock. Criminal record the lot for robbing his work. Family of good stock too.May be worth talking to. DM if you wanna know name. I think he’s a serious candidate.

Last edited:
Don’t trust him, his objective is highlighted by the whitewashed inquiry who thanked him for his contribution. The small article written in the Rangers magazine has been giving credence due to the need to fabricate equivalences between football teams. He spent all that time finding what an amateur journalist quoted on a Rangers magazine but couldn’t find anything in how the main stream media reported the dismissal at the time, that sums up his true objective.
He isnt the answer, in fact he is the problem.

He isn’t the only journalist though, another one, Charles Lavery got involved via Twitter after the channel 4 Gordon Woods documentary stating he knew more than what he did and the narrative that they all want to use to drown out the truth, i.e it happened throughout society and all clubs involved failed with equivalent wrongdoings. Scottish media has been bastardised by Celtic FC.
Without a doubt TM , watering it all down so that it looks like every club is guilty , masters of camouflage at work and not one f*ck given for the victims . An absolute disgrace to society and masters of a cover up at the east end but hopefully their time will come sooner than they think .

Anybody thats not seen it you will see and hear the real story of why Gordon Neely ended up at Ibrox ..... Shame on Hibernian FC
Hibs should have been exposed and made to answer why they held that information about abuse by Neely from Rangers who at least sacked the scumbag when the truth came out . It was harrowing to watch the victims of Neely trying hard to talk about what they suffered as boys under Neely's sadistic type of so called training , grown men with families still feeling shame from tortured memories of being used by paedophiles under the pretence of coaching and probably feeling like what they would do to these despicable animals today if they could only get their hands on them . It makes you realise just how unfortunate those victims were to suffer such horrors because it could have been any one of us as young boys with dreams of stardom being drawn into a paedo ring just like all the young victims of Celtic FC Boy's Club . It really is time the authorities really take a stance on this and get the victims and families peace of mind and justice , the dilly- dallying and side swerving from justice from people in high places is making a complete mockery of this Country and should be exposed Worldwide . Rant over ! Apologies for getting angry but I guess we all feel the victims pain at times .

Jock Stein?

I'm not having a pop at the magnificent work done by all in the pursuit of justice and you have my utmost support on that but does this incident of Stein throwing out Torbett hold water?

I have heard stories of Stein telling a blubbering Jim Torbett " you can stop the !@#$%&÷ Hollywood act...if it wasnt for those boys you would be going to Jail" or words to that effect.

So if this incident is indeed true and going by Steins alleged words ...it sounds as if those boys were talked out of going official and allowing the matter to be dealt with...privately....the Celtic way.

What was the trophy presentation and Steins personal appearances at Torbetts shop all about?

Was Torbett slipping Stein a few quid to spend an hour or two to do autographs ect?

Back