Celtic finances

Slim Jim

Finance Guru: Rangers in line to become richest Scot club amid Desmond reveal – Exclusive​

By
Adam Williams speaking to Kieran Maguire
-
21st January 2021 at 4:00pm

Dermot Desmond and Celtic shareholders have given Rangers a helping hand to soon become Scotland’s richest club.

So says finance wiz and new Football Insider columnist Kieran Maguire, speaking after a week of PR gaffes from the Hoops hierarchy.
A widely criticised trip to Dubai and subsequent press conference meltdown from manager Neil Lennon came amid Rangers extending their yawning lead at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

Celtic’s nine-year spell of dominance is collapsing, and so too is their financial advantage over Rangers.

Maguire believes that the Parkhead moneymen’s decision not to invest in the club during their footballing supremacy may have opened the window of opportunity just wide enough for Rangers to slip through.

He told Football Insider: “If the owner had put a little bit of money into the club, and he hasn’t put any money into the club for a long time now, Celtic could potentially have stretched the financial gap over their rivals to make it very, very difficult for Rangers to come back.

“They didn’t do that and now Gerrard’s side are clearly competitive and going to win the Scottish Premiership this year.
“I was on a radio show in 2018 and I said that Rangers just need one big season to eliminate the financial gap between themselves and Celtic.
“If Rangers win the Premiership and qualify for the group stages of the Champions League, that would not only be eliminated but I think Rangers could potentially overtake Celtic in terms of their ability to generate revenue.

“Although Europe is absolutely essential to that.”

Celtic’s revenue fell by 15.8% to £70.2million over the last financial year — a pre-tax profit of £100,000.
Rangers, by contrast, enjoyed an 11% upturn in revenue to £59m, although they posted a £15.9m loss.
The Light Blues are accelerating away from Celtic atop the Scottish Premiership, with the gap between the clubs now at 20 points.
In Europe, they have far outstripped their Glasgow rivals too, advancing to the first knockout round after Celtic finished bottom of their group.

0T5vw64.jpg

This tilt at the CL is absolutely massive.

I mean, it isn't a disaster by any means if we don't, we're back and there isn't anything they can do about that. But if we qualified for the CL groups it could put us on a path of sustained dominance for years to come. Without it we're still the better team, no question, but with it we could put ourselves out of sight for a good few years.

I keep seeing rumour and comment online about admin looming for them, after years of made up admin 2 noise it’s ironic to now see them now come under that spotlight themselves. Though I do wonder if there is something to this!. Is it a ploy to deal with what they believe will be significant payouts come the 21 court cases coming their way in June? I think they could be trying to think of a legal way out of compensation payouts ahead of that date now that their season is over and 10 is gone, the 10 would have been a good way to drown out adverse noise but could also be a way to stop the detailed stories seeing the light of day too. It maybe far fetched but I wouldn’t put anything past those around the Lieswell board table.

celtic can't afford to spend money on players because Rodgers and Lawell gave the squad english premiership standard wages on Scottish premiership income, the two don't match. Many of their players are way overpaid by SPL standards.
agree with this...which will also make it difficult moving some of their haddies on.
Regards new manager; they will also look to someone out of work to avoid paying off any club for their backroom staff.
Big beak Kennedy is also a dead man walking as no credit left with the fans so will need paid up too to get rid.

He will however be very, very brave about it all.

There are countless reasons we could turn the tables financially and while qualifying for the CL is a big part of it, it’s not the only variable.

- Rangers have business interruption insurance. Celtic don’t.
- Their fans are openly talking about not renewing their season tickets already. That won’t happen for rangers. Rangers could bump the price after this year many would sign up blindly.
- They have a number of key components leaving or running their contracts down. They will all need replaced and they might not recoup the funds they hoped for when they sell.
- They have a number of court cases looming.
- I would suspect they had a bumper year on merchandise last year with Adidas. Not sure losing ‘the ten’ will see another repeat of that.
- They are going to have to sack Lennon eventually and pay him to go. He’s clearly hanging about for severance pay.
- Any new manager may require a compensation payment to their current club depending on who they target.
- We have a winnable tie in Europe so could conceivably take yet more money this year having already raked in more than them.
- And finally if we qualify for the CL via the champions path we can pour rocket fuel on our financial position.

On the plus side for their finance bods, they won’t have to pay out any league bonuses or additional ten in a row bonuses so every cloud...

I keep seeing rumour and comment online about admin looming for them, after years of made up admin 2 noise it’s ironic to now see them now come under that spotlight themselves. Though I do wonder if there is something to this!. Is it a ploy to deal with what they believe will be significant payouts come the 21 court cases coming their way in June? I think they could be trying to think of a legal way out of compensation payouts ahead of that date now that their season is over and 10 is gone, the 10 would have been a good way to drown out adverse noise but could also be a way to stop the detailed stories seeing the light of day too. It maybe far fetched but I wouldn’t put anything past those around the Lieswell board table.
Consider that theres two champions league places up for grabs this season, an administration event would see them hit with a points penalty. They couldn't risk losing out on second place no matter how tough the qualification route is.

Would they want to risk being put in league 2?

Consider that theres two champions league places up for grabs this season, an administration event would see them hit with a points penalty. They couldn't risk losing out on second place no matter how tough the qualification route is.
If the compo outweighs the value of the champs league revenue potential...who knows. There’s no way an admin event would see them with anything other than a points deduction imho. The powers would say the game has to learn from the mistakes of sending Rangers down to the 3rd. Rhats

There are countless reasons we could turn the tables financially and while qualifying for the CL is a big part of it, it’s not the only variable.

- Rangers have business interruption insurance. Celtic don’t.
- Their fans are openly talking about not renewing their season tickets already. That won’t happen for Rangers. Rangers could bump the price after this year many would sign up blindly.
- They have a number of key components leaving or running their contracts down. They will all need replaced and they might not recoup the funds they hoped for when they sell.
- They have a number of court cases looming.
- I would suspect they had a bumper year on merchandise last year with Adidas. Not sure losing ‘the ten’ will see another repeat of that.
- They are going to have to sack Lennon eventually and pay him to go. He’s clearly hanging about for severance pay.
- Any new manager may require a compensation payment to their current club depending on who they target.
- We have a winnable tie in Europe so could conceivably take yet more money this year having already raked in more than them.
- And finally if we qualify for the CL via the champions path we can pour rocket fuel on our financial position.

On the plus side for their finance bods, they won’t have to pay out any league bonuses or additional ten in a row bonuses so every cloud...
They also need a new biscuit tin.

They will also have a huge rebuilding job this summer.

New Manager

3 Goalkeepers that no one trusts

Rb - el hammed - leaving, frimpong benched for ajer to move there.

Lb - taylor - no one rates, laxalt (loan)

Cb - Duffy (loan) Bitton (Midfielder) Ajaer (wants to leave) jullien (?)

Mid - sorro (not as good as they think) mcgregor, nitcham (leaving) Brown(slow,old)

LW - Ely (loan) johnstone(not seen it with him)

RW - Forrest

AM - christie(leaving) turnbull

For - edouard (leaving) ajeti (paid £5m) klimala(paid £3m) griffiths.

if they sell another striker after edouard then they will be taking a loss as they wint get 3 or 5m for either if them.

Looks like a lot of money to spend as only Mcgregor, Turnbull, Forrest, Soro n Griffiths look like they will stay and start.

They thought they could do the Ten on the cheap - they thought Steven Gerrard was a squib.

Over the last ten years their repeated failings in Europe have been a Godsend for us.

Can you imagine if they had another five years of Champions League money in the bank.

Their over-weening arrogance done for them.

Rhats donning flotation devices & budgie smugglers will be the start of a long drop.
WATP.

New Manager

Mid - sorro (not as good as they think) mcgregor, nitcham (leaving) Brown(slow,old)

RW - Forrest

if they sell another striker after edouard then they will be taking a loss as they wint get 3 or 5m for either if them.

Looks like a lot of money to spend as only Mcgregor, Turnbull, Forrest, Soro n Griffiths look like they will stay and start.
Add in their assets value has plummeted drastically.

They were way ahead of us financially and in footballing terms and they had one of the top British managers. They replaced him with a guy who had failed at Hibs and Bolton. In the meantime Gerrard has continued to improve and may become a top manager In the EPL, hopefully after a few more years success at Ibrox.

They have a lot of wealthy fans so finances may be less of a problem. If we get to CL group stages, and spend wisely, we can have 2 or 3 years of success and growth.
Let's not forget, however, we were told it would take £70m/£100m to catch up the bheasts. A CEO at Sharkheid who allows the correct people to have control of their own departments could change things significantly. Lets not become Celtic and get too arrogant.

They thought they could do the Ten on the cheap - they thought Steven Gerrard was a squib.

Over the last ten years their repeated failings in Europe have been a Godsend for us.

Can you imagine if they had another five years of Champions League money in the bank.

This is exactly it, nailed right on.

Without question they have assessed it and saw things unravelling for us pre-Covid last year and have made hollow assumptions, namely:

1 - by throwing several million at players, they will automatically slot in
2 - we dont have resources to compete in terms of the quality of player recruitment
3 - we will fall off a cliff if they just continue their 2019/2020 late season form

points 1 & 2 are both indicative of their approach over the last decade, and they have absolutely overlooked what we have been doing - the fact that their own fans have a "sevco thread" on their forum totalling almost 6 thousand pages shows where they have had their attention focused, and that has been looking at our shortcomings instead of assessing the risk and considering where we are making progress

fuck them. on many levels we are leaving them in the distance. hopefully we can turn the screw.

It really was a free hit for them. Like you say a few more season of reaching group stages etc they would have been miles ahead instead they were too short sighted in their bitter hatred of us.

Exactly Mark, they themselves bought into the "they need 90 million to catch us" as many have said their arrogance will be their downfall.

New Manager

RW - Forrest

With Ntcham and edouard going I’d be surprised if julianne wants to stay.

All there sellable assets go into there last year of there contract in the summer , they are well and truly fked

Back