Celtic in the early/mid 90s

The season 92/93 just after we beat Leeds and got into the First Ever Champions League. We played them at Parkhead. They absolutely annihilated us but couldn't score. We scored on the break away, wee Durranty and won 1-0 so to the OP yes you are very much correct. Our 7IAR was far harder to achieve etc than what these c*nts have had so far. The results in Old Firm games last two years are absolutely shameful.

A top side.

No, actually, they were shit. What would happen is that we'd beat them when we had to and then give them a freebie after we'd won the league (March 1992, March 1993, May 1995). We gave nobodies like Rudi Vata and Paul Byrne a bit of fame. We were too generous.

Tables reversed yesterday, we simply don't go full throttle. Rarely have.

A massive gripe of mine over the years.

The 2-0 game at Ibrox where Sutton got himself sent off deliberately, while funny, made my fucking blood boil at the game.
They were down to 9 men. 2 nil down with 35 minutes remaining to play and we decided to %^*& about and missed yet another chance to fucking humiliate them.

To this day even thinking of that match pisses me off.

Tbh, mate, you're employing a shifting time frame. Aberdeen and Dundee United reached European finals in the 1980's, not 1990's, and Willie Miller was done by the 1990's.

Overall, yes, I would say that the league was stronger and more interesting in the early 1990's but I don't carry that over into the early 1990's Yahoo team being much better now than they were back then.

Even taking into account the ages of the Aberdeen and United players I mentioned, they still had a quality to them and knew how to play in big games. Very rarely would they get rolled over the top of.

The 92/93 season Cup finals vs Aberdeen were extremely competitive, and the 93/94 Cup Final vs United was a great example of a mix of old pros and young guys fighting against a far more talented side who thought they just had to turn up and win.

Walter Smith gave them far too much respect.
Time after time we should have smashed them all over the park but Walter chose to go with caution.
His apathetic attitude towards those that hate us was confirmed when he and the players blew both the ten in a row and the double treble.
The year we lost that, I don't think we won another game after we had won the league.
By the time we played in the final the players had got into the habit of not being fully prepared.
We went to Hampden and flopped.

Does anyone honestly reckon Brenda will allow the same attitude with his players when they do what we couldn't.

I wonder how Smith feel today..

The tims were shite back in the early 90s, but they always fancied their chances against us. It was basically 4 cup finals against us and they never backed down in old firm games. We should have dished out a few tanking's in those years, but we probably went into some games expecting to beat them and also they played for the jersey in those games.

It was a bit like Aberdeen raising the team performance against us a few years later.

They didn't lose an entire squad full of internationals overnight and be forced to start again in Div 3 with crooks at the helm.

The road to recovery is longer than most of us can stomach, but it won't be forever.

Agreed. But in three years we are entitled to look for progress, not Progres.

I’d suggest a decent comparison is that the Rangers side of NIAR was one of the finest Scotland has ever produced while this current lot probably wouldn’t make the top six back then.

At the same time, are this current Yahoo outfit actually any better than the side they had back then?

I’m really not sure they are, I just think Scottish football has gotten progressively worse since, especially over the past 6 or 7 years to the extent that they appear head and shoulders above everyone else with what, relatively speaking, is a far from vintage team, as I think their miserable results in Europe tend to indicate.

The filth have reduced Scottish Football to a rubble. That was their aim all along.

It has to be repeated, in the renovation back in 2014, the other clubs backed the filth in the change in prize money.

Remember, we're out of the way. We're still down in the burbs.

The new change was, the winners would lose 240k (ish) in prize money.

The runners up would lose 680k in prize money.

Therefore the only team sure to win the league in a no horse race, benefitted financially still at every turn.

That the rest of Scottish football agreed with this alongside the filth truly beggars belief.

Now we're talking the Petries and Milnes of this world, who are supposedly in charge of the game (or shame) up here.

Don't be daft. Ye cannae compare with what we are going through now and them in the early 90's. Scottish football has dragged us down to the gutter. This is our worst period in our history. We have been trashed by gangsters and asset-stripped of our team, then hung, drawn and quartered by HMRC. And the OP considers that is a neat comparison?

A top side.

No, actually, they were shit. What would happen is that we'd beat them when we had to and then give them a freebie after we'd won the league (March 1992, March 1993, May 1995). We gave nobodies like Rudi Vata and Paul Byrne a bit of fame. We were too generous.

Tables reversed yesterday, we simply don't go full throttle. Rarely have.

I'm masochistic enough to have watched the whole game yesterday and it has to be said they stopped trying at 60 minutes.

Brenda even had a moan about it.

Oh and they were utter gash in the 90s.

Last edited:
:D . I should add, doesn't mean I want boring matches with few chances. I like to see attacking football but better defending and alternative tactics to try and combat it. As a neutral watching Atletico being battered by Barca or Real but defending brilliantly and hitting on the break, is much preferably than them trying to play both at their own game and ending up hammered.

Also say a 2-0 defeat for a team that is limited in attack but is well organised and can defend brilliantly, with the attacking team relentlessly trying to break through but clearances off the line and great goalkeeping holds them off until finally the something special is needed to make the breakthrough. That to me is more enjoyable than the inferior team being hammered 6-0.

I still can enjoy the big scores too just not as often as we now see them.

The exception of course is Rangers where I'd always want my own team to score as many as possible, especially in Scotland where we should be as ruthless as possible against vermin who were happy to see our club disappear.

The filth have reduced Scottish Football to a rubble. That was their aim all along.

It has to be repeated, in the renovation back in 2014, the other clubs backed the filth in the change in prize money.

Remember, we're out of the way. We're still down in the burbs.

The new change was, the winners would lose 240k (ish) in prize money.

The runners up would lose 680k in prize money.

Therefore the only team sure to win the league in a no horse race, benefitted financially still at every turn.

That the rest of Scottish football agreed with this alongside the filth truly beggars belief.

Now we're talking the Petries and Milnes of this world, who are supposedly in charge of the game (or shame) up here.
There was some non-entity on the Scottish Sun's website with the headline (paraphrasing) "<insert non-entity name here> begs the EPL to accept celtic as there is no competition left" :eek: (and no I didn't read the article but had followed a link to a Gerrard article and seen it)

Back