"Celtic shouldn't have to play European qualifiers"

I think unless there is vast, vast improvement in the scottish game, which I don’t see happening…rarely will any scottish club reach the CL group stages again.Deliberately set up this way by UEFa to look after the big boys!

As for Celtic they must be the most Narcissistic club in world football with their 'Ideas
of Granduer' that they are so superior they shouldn't have to play qualifiers in the Champions League! In reality they are little better than the champions of Denmark, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Sweden etc as the co-efficients show.

What a call

Can ah get a lenny your season card fur the piggery so I can witness whit you are rantin aboot.

I suppose you could say if you're good enough you'll qualify but I stand by what I said smart arse.

When we are having to play the same shitty teams in the far corner of nowhere before a 4th placed team that hasn't won a domestic trophy in years kicks a ball in the same tournament, the tone will change on here.

How do you get 64 teams though from 55 nations?

Do I really need to spell it out? Here's 3 suggestions.

1 Give the big countries 2 places.

2 Put a few free passes in the hat so that the second round has 32 qualifying teams.

3 Bomb Russia and force them to create a few new countries.

Its not really a big problem.

Do I really need to spell it out? Here's 3 suggestions.

1 Give the big countries 2 places.

2 Put a few free passes in the hat so that the second round has 32 qualifying teams.

3 Bomb Russia and force them to create a few new countries.

Its not really a big problem.

But you said this:

"The CL should be a straight knock out competition with no seeding and league winners only".

They shouldn't, if you win the league you should get an automatic place.
For that to happen you would have utter dross qualifying from across the whole of Europe going straight in.ie teams from Armenia,Gibraltar,Latvia and such likes and the ‘big hitters’ from Spain England Germany etc missing out then turning the champs into a tunnocks European trophy

I remember they tried to get UEFA to guarantee them a place in the Champions League itself every season. You know their reasoning? Yep, the fact they'd won the European Cup in 1967 meant they should forever be placed in the CL and not have to play any qualifiers. They really do have no brass neck.

But you said this:

"The CL should be a straight knock out competition with no seeding and league winners only".

That's right, but I assumed, wrongly in your case, that everyone would know that there wouldnt be exactly 64 european countries and therefore some minor adjustments would be required. Next time I post a general point I'll cover myself with a footnote explaining I havent checked all the details.

For that to happen you would have utter dross qualifying from across the whole of Europe going straight in.ie teams from Armenia,Gibraltar,Latvia and such likes and the ‘big hitters’ from Spain England Germany etc missing out then turning the champs into a tunnocks European trophy

But you’d still end up with the same group of famous names in the business end of the competition and a few entertaining scuddings along the way. Plus an off chance hope for mid ranking countries that, with a lucky draw, you might make progress to an exciting bit.

As it stands now, you have several teams from the big countries scudding the mid ranked countries then playing each other till you get the same 6-8 at the end.

Don’t see a huge difference in terms of excitement to be honest.

That's right, but I assumed, wrongly in your case, that everyone would know that there wouldnt be exactly 64 european countries and therefore some minor adjustments would be required. Next time I post a general point I'll cover myself with a footnote explaining I havent checked all the details.

Who is it who bomb's Russia anyway?!

Was this your view when Ogilvie first mentioned the concept?

Yes. I thought then, and still think now, that the 3 european competitions were better before greed took over and turned them into what we have now. Same goes with the 4 leagues we have now and the way money is distributed in the game. All contributing to the erosion of competition.

Back