Celtic to be handed post split fixture advantage

This is the time to raise it, because we should be pushing for it to be the other way around next season.

That isn’t really true this time, is it.
Help me out here.
The “seeding” for this season, if it had went to plan, would have produced a different set of fixtures?
It would work as you say if the top six were to be replicated from last season?
So, we will then face the same problem next season, and in the future, if the seeding continues to go against the plan.

The first 3 rounds of fixtures are reversed each year. By the time the split comes next season, the scum will have played Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Livingston away twice, as we have this season.

The split is a farce.
The whole fixture system is manipulated by celtic supporting spfl officials. It is not accidental the way fixtures work out. It is planned. They always seem to get an extra home game. I remember one time we got an extra home game and they kicked up hell about it whereas we just accept the shite they deal us

This would not work

Still have the same issue as mentioned in the OP

Also all teams should play on last day of season to avoid carve ups or the advantage of knowing what you have to do for say qualifying for Europe or relegation, with an odd number it has lots of potential issues

18 or 20 team is the best solution if the greedy people in charge would look at the bigger picture.

4 league games against same teams is too much

Two leagues of 12 split to 3 x 8, all even 36 games

League is gone this season anyway so hopefully this helps us next year when we are pushing for the title.

Don't like the split but we get 3 at home giving us 19 games at home, they get 2 home games giving them 19 at home that's all you can ask for. 14 teams and a 6/ 8 split would solve this nonsense.

Last edited:
Not enough space for a 44 game season so this is the 'next' best thing

If they need a split then increase the league to 14 teams and split after 26 games. Then the top 7 play each other home and away, same with the bottom 7, and you still get 38 games. It's still repetitive crap like we have now but at least it's fair to all sides.

And next season it reverses

Never has been a random computer only people that believe it is think that
it’s not supposed to be fully random though - the point in the article is they assume the same top six as previous season so if that plays out we get two away games Post split against the only two teams we have played once away and 3 home games against the 3 teams we have already played away twice. Problem arises from the fact that three of the top
Six are currently not the same as last year and so it’s just luck whether the right mix of aways and homes arises.

It’s just a crap system - I was hopeful last year about us getting back into the title race when it looked like Celtic were heading for having to play two difficult teams away for a third time. It turned out they only had to play one team away for a third time I think as the final placings changed again.

18 team league. Play each team twice home and away. Like real leagues do.

Have a charity shield before the season starts. League winner vs Scottish cup winner/league runners up. Bring the Glasgow cup back to prominence. Final at the end of the season. Tie both into the TV deal. 4 old firm games 9 times out of 10.

The first 3 rounds of fixtures are reversed each year. By the time the split comes next season, the scum will have played Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Livingston away twice, as we have this season.

Yes, bt they may not be the top six, as has happened this season

And that could be a major problem because by the time the split comes around Rangers will already have had two visits to Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Livingston and Celtic Park on league detail.

By contrast, Celtic have only had to travel to Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and Livingston ONCE on league business.

THIS AND 14 foulss per game per yellow card doesnt give them an advantage?

Farce alongside jan break being scrapped etc . They are bullying their way to a title and we do f@ck all

League of 12 play each other home and away. 22 games.
Split into top 6 and bottom 6.
Play each other again home and away. 10 games.
32 games. Less games which may mean less midweek to squeeze games in.
March to November league.

Of all things to complain about, fixtures is bottom of the list

We both play 38 games a season against the same teams. The other 10 teams are all crap so there's no excuses, home or away

This victim mentality, which used to be pervasive only in their support, has now become entrenched in some of our own fans and it's pathetic

Stupidly, the SPFL gave us Hibs, Hearts, Celtic and Aberdeen in the first set of fixture who were the most likely teams to be in the top six so a situation like this was inevitable.

All started when we came back up in 2016/17 and they chose that fixture order.

No it's not. A 14 team league, with a top 6/bottom 8 split. Play each other twice before the split, then twice after it. Guarantees a level playing field every season, 2 home and 2 away against the same opponents.
The bottom 8 also get 4 extra matches for income.

Edit. Someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
And that could be a major problem because by the time the split comes around Rangers will already have had two visits to Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Livingston and Celtic Park on league detail.

By contrast, Celtic have only had to travel to Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and Livingston ONCE on league business

Random computer my arse
The random computer that just happened to put the OF piggery fixture way later in the schedule than ever before the when they were thinking about starting to let fans back in after covid.

It’s absolute bollocks.

Tbh an extra away trip to Easter Road doesn't really faze me. They try to play football against us and just get picked off. They scraped a draw against 9 men and celebrated wildly instead of going for a winner against us. Hopefully we go there and whoever finishes 6th an extra time.

Have seen this a few times but really it's a self defeating argument.

In the 20 years before the league went to playing each other 4 times the league was won by 4 other teams and the old firm won 16 times. Giving a 20% share to the others.

In the 10 years after the league was won by other teams 4 times giving a 40% share to the others.

Clearly there are other factors as to why the league is less competitive but it can't be labelled at playing 4 times.
Exactly mate. The first half of the 80's were very competitive, only problem being Rangers weren't. Pity as it would really have been excellent if we'd joined the party.

The split is a waste of time as the rest of them are so far behind. Talk of hibs and hearts away mean nothing, these games have been our best results away from Ibrox.

A complete farce of a set-up I have struggled to explain to those overseas, simply for the blue cash cow and separate entity giro's

Although in theory this is a good idea to resolve split issue and maintain the 4 Old Firm games for Sky, there is a potential flaw in the teams outside the top 4 having nothing to play for. Scotland at present has 5 European places no guarantee this continues based on the clubs performances.
At present the top 4 plus the cup winners occupy the European places. UEFA prioritise the cup winners over league places in the event of an outsider such as St Johnstone the other year lifting the cup this would leave the rest with no reason to play post split.
Say the bottom 2 go straight down. 2 up / 2 down scenario after 30 games. That’s them done.
The next 2 up could play off with the 3rd and 4th in the championship in a round robin tournament.

That would leave 8, they could play in mini cup for cash prizes to keep interest going.

I suppose we’d need to hire a chief executive on £300k a year plus bonuses to try and sort it out.

If you must have a split then split after 22 games, total of 32.

Ideally we should got 16 teams playing each other twice for a total of 30 games, leaves more room for the expanded European games.

If our board hadn’t given up on the league last Oct/Nov, I think we would be making more of a fuss about this, and rightly so.
It does show how badly run/corrupt our game is up here, when you look at the fixtures of ours, v theirs, come the end of the season.

The “ random computer” is preloaded with set parameters (e.g hearts at home one week/Hibs away), and can only churn out what it is programmed to do

The Europeans dates are known in advance but we always seem to get more away games after these

The split is a farce but the whole product is poor and overpriced. The number of times I watch highlights of games (not involving us or them) and there are empty stands shows how the public are voting with their feet
T

I wish we would end the split. It doesn't add anything to the game here.

None of the biggest leagues operate it, only wee leagues trying to be different and it’s not worked, our, the Belgian and the Dutch has proven to flop.

I think we need to go increase the league and reduce the amount of times we play the same clubs, increase the relegation places and how many automaticity come up.

None of the biggest leagues operate it, only wee leagues trying to be different and it’s not worked, our, the Belgian and the Dutch has proven to flop.

I think we need to go increase the league and reduce the amount of times we play the same clubs, increase the relegation places and how many automaticity come up.
Have the Belgian and Dutch leagues stopped it now? Didn't realise that.

I think most of us would like to see the league increased.

That isn’t really true this time, is it.
Help me out here.
The “seeding” for this season, if it had went to plan, would have produced a different set of fixtures?
It would work as you say if the top six were to be replicated from last season?
So, we will then face the same problem next season, and in the future, if the seeding continues to go against the plan.
There is 'no seeding'

Simply the actual fixture flips so Aberdeen v Rangers becomes Rangers v Aberdeen and we play them in rounds 1-11 & 23-33 at Ibrox likewise with Celtic, Hearts, Hibs Livingston & Motherwell asit stand

Hearts and Hibs have fixture imbalance as both are either 17/16 or 16/17 rather one been 17/16 the other 16/17

What happens in split is down to those teams that are there

If you must have a split then split after 22 games, total of 32.

Ideally we should got 16 teams playing each other twice for a total of 30 games, leaves more room for the expanded European games.
Ideal format

One problem no club would vote for it as less games less income

Yes and this originates from the fixtures we took when we were promoted from the Championship, we basically took the home/away fixture divide from the team who were relegated, think it was Dundee Utd? They just happened to have Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs either all at home or all away in any given round of 11 fixtures. And that just mirrors season by season rather than being adjusted based on who finishes where in the league.
Yeah it was Dundee United fixture schedule

If they need a split then increase the league to 14 teams and split after 26 games. Then the top 7 play each other home and away, same with the bottom 7, and you still get 38 games. It's still repetitive crap like we have now but at least it's fair to all sides.
No it's not. A 14 team league, with a top 6/bottom 8 split. Play each other twice before the split, then twice after it. Guarantees a level playing field every season, 2 home and 2 away against the same opponents.
The bottom 8 also get 4 extra matches for income.

Edit. Someone beat me to it.
Of course isn't but what I meant it is the 'best thing' they came up with at the time they introduced it

Back