Celtic to be sued in the US over abuse(The Sun)

Americans don’t phuck about with paedophile cases. Compensation in US courts run into $ tens of millions in punitive damages, to deter others who might be tempted to indulge in paedo activities and cover them up.

I genuinely hope that’s the poor lads who have suffered all these years do finally get the apology they are due from Celtic FC and the proper compensation for the years of lost earnings and suffering they’ve had to endure.

I'll bump a thread I posted on the liability costs for Penn state. ;) Horrific.

Yes, that’s all I’m saying KB.

As you know, insurers use every option to avoid payouts, so surely that mob wouldn’t have declared to them that they had paedos in their club abusing children ?

I’ll be amazed if they get their insurers to pay for any of this.

Would thatAgree ?
Surely that policy would only be applicable for the period insured? Usually annually for Public Liability insurance.

Would that not mean that celtc would have had to have had the policies in force concurrent with the period the abuse took place?

Surely there is no policy that will indemnify "historic" claims of abuse.... that's the entire history of the club. That premium would be millions surely.

Anyone remember some English guy on a video clip (STV I think) who claimed as young boys they were invited to play in tournaments all over the UK and one that they were invited to was the "Celtic cup" in Scotland. During the interview he said he was sure there was something going on with the coaches regarding the boys.

You don't think, eh?

" (CNN) - Since the 1980s, the Catholic Church in the United States and its insurance companies have paid out more than $3.8 billion in lawsuits and claims involving allegations of clerical sexual abuse, according to a monitoring group... "

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...se-allegations-in-catholic-church-since-1980s

" If the Catholic church is sued, secret files and private documents could be made public. And insurance companies, which have already paid millions in private settlements, might have to pay much more for the church’s liability as new cases are brought forth. "

https://eu.ydr.com/story/news/2018/...reform-statute-limitations-priest/1742969002/

… and to be honest, it's not just the papists...

" The three companies that insure the majority of Protestant churches in America say they typically receive upward of 260 reports each year of young people under 18 being sexually abused by clergy, church staff, volunteers or congregation members. "

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2007/06/18/80877.htm

Reading the above, and knowing the very close association between celtc FC and the catholic church, you would be extremely naïve to continue to believe that the former has not sought out advice from the latter on how to handle the tsunami of claims that are about to befall them.

Make no mistake, these claims are coming, and will have to be paid out, so do you seriously think that horrible club intends to pay out from their own funds? The same funds that service their loans, pay for the upkeep of their stadium and training complex, pay their wage bill, and finance new signings? In a nutshell, the very same funds that keeps them in business?
Such an eventuality could quite probably crucify them to an irreparable extent.
It's inconceivable that they haven't been considering the worst case scenario, and I for one would bet that if they didn't already have the relevant insurance, when they heard the first rumblings heralding these recent court cases there would have been a high level summit of the very top papes in Scotland (and possibly beyond) to consider all that could be done to preserve as far as possible "the good name" of their club and minimize any continuing damage to their brand.

Trust me, I desperately hope that they have not taken these precautions, because it would financially fucking kill them in all probability, but there's no way I see them not learning from past experiences.
Well, I never !
I stand corrected .

You don't think, eh?

" (CNN) - Since the 1980s, the Catholic Church in the United States and its insurance companies have paid out more than $3.8 billion in lawsuits and claims involving allegations of clerical sexual abuse, according to a monitoring group... "

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...se-allegations-in-catholic-church-since-1980s

" If the Catholic church is sued, secret files and private documents could be made public. And insurance companies, which have already paid millions in private settlements, might have to pay much more for the church’s liability as new cases are brought forth. "

https://eu.ydr.com/story/news/2018/...reform-statute-limitations-priest/1742969002/

… and to be honest, it's not just the papists...

" The three companies that insure the majority of Protestant churches in America say they typically receive upward of 260 reports each year of young people under 18 being sexually abused by clergy, church staff, volunteers or congregation members. "

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2007/06/18/80877.htm

Reading the above, and knowing the very close association between celtc FC and the catholic church, you would be extremely naïve to continue to believe that the former has not sought out advice from the latter on how to handle the tsunami of claims that are about to befall them.

Make no mistake, these claims are coming, and will have to be paid out, so do you seriously think that horrible club intends to pay out from their own funds? The same funds that service their loans, pay for the upkeep of their stadium and training complex, pay their wage bill, and finance new signings? In a nutshell, the very same funds that keeps them in business?
Such an eventuality could quite probably crucify them to an irreparable extent.
It's inconceivable that they haven't been considering the worst case scenario, and I for one would bet that if they didn't already have the relevant insurance, when they heard the first rumblings heralding these recent court cases there would have been a high level summit of the very top papes in Scotland (and possibly beyond) to consider all that could be done to preserve as far as possible "the good name" of their club and minimize any continuing damage to their brand.

Trust me, I desperately hope that they have not taken these precautions, because it would financially fucking kill them in all probability, but there's no way I see them not learning from past experiences.
Serious question....would they get insurance for a 'pre-existing' condition ?

Surely that policy would only be applicable for the period insured? Usually annually for Public Liability insurance.

Would that not mean that celtc would have had to have had the policies in force concurrent with the period the abuse took place?

Surely there is no policy that will indemnify "historic" claims of abuse.... that's the entire history of the club. That premium would be millions surely.

Agree George. In Employers Liability Insurance that’s how it works. And then any new insurers for future years will want to be aware of outstanding claims from history, and that can potentially impact on the new policy premiums.
I’d be surprised if any attempt by them to insure this would go any differently ?

Anyone remember some English guy on a video clip (STV I think) who claimed as young boys they were invited to play in tournaments all over the UK and one that they were invited to was the "Celtic cup" in Scotland. During the interview he said he was sure there was something going on with the coaches regarding the boys.

Aye it was Andy Woodward the bloke who blew the case of Barry Bennell in England wide open

Serious question....would they get insurance for a 'pre-existing' condition ?

As i already mentioned on a previous post above, there's a case where a diocese and their insurer are arguing whether the church knew of claims prior to the policy being taken out. All potential payouts were dependent on which came first.
I'd be staggered if that was the only such case.

As i already mentioned on a previous post above, there's a case where a diocese and their insurer are arguing whether the church knew of claims prior to the policy being taken out. All potential payouts were dependent on which came first.

So following this through EH47, you think their insurers from the point of each of the abused children’s claims would be potentially liable ?

If the lid does eventually blow on this, the fallout could be massive for Celtic, especially moving forward.

What sort of sports company or sponsors would want to go near them?

Nobody in their right mind would touch them,even signing good players would prove difficult. They're name would be mud.

Sorry, yes. Getting Chris White & Kevin Kelly mixed up Alex.
Wasn’t there done story or rumour that they were taking kids to London on the overnight trains ?

Don't know Grigo. My old man was involved in amateur football around this time and there were certainly rumours and I can remember Chris White's name being mentioned but I'd be lying if I said what it was relating to.

How deeply were the old board of directors of the Kelly’s (trophy centre ,)the McGinns (SFA chairman , lord provost of Glasgow,) and the Whyte’s involved protecting the good name of Celtic?
Did fergus McCann know the full extent when he changed the corporate structure (newco)
Have celtics current incarnation also ‘known,’ and obstructed and lobbied the SNP for this to go away quietly ?

In that reasonable case, they are fecked. Its little different to retrospectively taking out car insurance after you've wrecked it !

How deeply were the old board of directors of the Kelly’s (trophy centre ,)the McGinns (SFA chairman , lord provost of Glasgow,) and the Whyte’s involved protecting the good name of Celtic?
Did fergus McCann know the full extent when he changed the corporate structure (newco)
Have celtics current incarnation also ‘known,’ and obstructed and lobbied the SNP for this to go away quietly ?
Its maybe one of the reasons 'the Bunnet' was in and out as quick as a prick suffering from premature ejaculation.

The rule changes in the last few years by the SFA Cabal - are there any of them that could trip up Single Entity FC in an unexpected consequences sort of way?

If the lid does eventually blow on this, the fallout could be massive for Celtic, especially moving forward.

They'll do the huddle, scream to the world that their rancid club was taken over by monsters and now they're cleansed of it, "let us make a better celtic for the future, now let us link arms".

They'll be the victims.

They'll do the huddle, scream to the world that their rancid club was taken over by monsters and now they're cleansed of it, "let us make a better celtic for the future, now let us link arms".

They'll be the victims.

It’s worked for them until now mate, despite so many facts to the contrary.

‘Celtic. Don’t ever let the truth get in the way of a good story.’

If we thought we'd seen deflection on a grand scale before from those at the Knew Camp and their apologists, stand by for a campaign of epic proportions to deal with this shit storm.

All the more reason to get tae feck as soon as he was able. I'll bet he met with a few unexpected home truths in his time there. I'm not sure he's been back many times.

Agree. I think I remember him back once ? Not interested enough to be sure but he got shite press from them & im sure they wanted him back to get rid of their guilt. Sounds familiar with them eh ? ;)

And the lads parents agreed not to contact the police in exchange for him being offered a professional contract. I hope those people sleep well at night with that in their minds every day. I honestly can’t get my head round how any parent could do that.

How can celtic claim that it had nothing to do with them when they were complicit in giving the lad a professional contract in order to buy his silence? How many others have been encouraged to keep quiet in the same manner?:confused:

W.A.T.P.

At least the bunnet was a good human being Willie.
From 1996.

When Tommy Burns was appointed Parkhead boss in 1994, he tried to bring his mentor Frank Cairney back to Parkhead.

But the move to end his three year exile was blocked by Celtic chief Fergus McCann.

and this from the same article...

Tommy Burns was also at Cairney's house to give him his support.

He said: "He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.

"He has trained some of the great names of Celtic, including Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, George McCluskey, Alan Brazil, Pat Nevin, Peter Grant, Andy Ritchie and myself.

"Ever since I knew him he's been a great friend and a great influence on me and a lot of other players who had the pleasure of playing on his team."

You do wonder how many victims who have simply erased it from their memory?

Penn State FC indeed ,would be great if the achievements Penn State were wiped out during their scandal happens to their east end of Glasgow counterparts.I very much doubt it though!.
Penn State did have the honors won wiped out but then they were reinstated

From 1996.

and this from the same article...

You do wonder how many victims who have simply erased it from their memory?

I don’t think they can erase it from their memories mate, you just can't do that. The kid's were grown up enough to know and remember exactly what happened to them.
If parents accepted something on behalf of their kid at the time, I'd assume that kid, as an adult now, is really not happy and will go after the club to deal with it properly.

I hope the victims will get real justice through this avenue.

It will also put Scotland and the disgraceful neglect of our Judiciary and Politicians to shame.
Yep. Totally agree but please my only worry is that the victims who were actually young boys don’t get the justice they deserve due to some smart arse lawyers looking at posts like this and arguing a fair trial isn’t possible. Let’s wait and hold our tounge till justice is served before we go to town on them. And we deservedly will

Back