Match Thread Celtic v Rangers - 12:00 Sunday - Sky Sports

Lafferty performed poor, but had a couple chances today. Morelos was awful as usual, did nothing apart from be offside and give away every foul possible, don't know why we've extended his contract.

Expectations were high today. Correctly so. We are much improved. No one can deny that. They have regressed. Again, I don’t think that is debatable.
As often happens in these games though, they can pass debutants by. It certainly happened today and there are a number of our players who will learn from it, and importantly, improve from it.
They had a very experienced side out their this afternoon. Handled it better. To be honest, they defended better than I expected they would. Cleared their lines well.

It’s disappointing but I truly believe the experience gained today will reap rewards in the next one.

Yes, I’d hoped for better today, but given where we’ve been, I can suffer a little more until we get them back at Ibrox next time.

McGregor - Our best player, but could have cost us with a silly kick out
Tavernier - Poor first half, better second half. Too high up the park at the goal.
Goldson - Fine
Katic - Fine
Barisic - Fine
Arfield - Lots of effort, but little contribution
Jack - Fine
Ejaria - Overwhelmed with the occasion, looks good when he was time and space
Kent - Poor first half, better second half
Morelos - Little to work with, when he did have something he didn't do enough
Lafferty - As ineffective out wide as he always was, should be played as a striker and striker only

Middleton - Unfair to be thrown in, not ready
Candeias - Should have started

Good post. Agree fully.

Team for Next game vs Dundee
4-2-3-1, stick with that formation for every game.
McGregor (if not banned by compliance officer)
Tav
Goldson
Katic
Barisic
Coulibaly
Jack
Candeias
Arfield
Grezda
Lafferty

Absolutely gutted, not just by the result but by the performance. Once again we appear to have gone into this fixture with an inferiority complex which really disappoints. A cowardly 1-0 defeat is only numerically better than a cowardly 5-0 defeat.
I'm not going to go overboard as I believe SG will take us forward, but today is hard to take as the Tims are crap.

I 'm sure SG and the backroom boys will be looking very hard at this game and things will improve .....January's signings will make us better.
Let's go ! choo choo

For weeks it’s been obvious that the poets weak area was their defence but today we didn’t do enough to pressurise them at the back. They targeted tavernier with runs as they saw that as a weakness. It will be different when they come to Ibrox.

I 'm sure SG and the backroom boys will be looking very hard at this game and things will improve .....January's signings will make us better.
Let's go ! choo choo
Quantity isn't what will improve us,quality is what is required,that showed today by not even laying a finger on the unwashed.

I think the only thing we can be grateful for is the unwashed not spending big bucks on players and still having the biscuit tin mentality,if they spent all the money they recieve from all the players they sell,our job would be much more difficult.

Just back home.
Clueless management there.
You can't sit back and try soak up pressure like that.
I put no blame on any player.. firmly at management.
And for anyone thinking it will be different with an extra 7000 fans ?
Well, that's shite... IF... Gerrard sends the team out like that again ? game is a bogie. That attitude was no different from Caixhina or Murty.
I truly am disgusted that the team was sent out like that.

We can’t polish an absolute turd of a performance.

Today wasn’t necessarily about winning, but laying down a marker. Showing them we’d improved and that if they want to beat us, they’ll have to be at their best. We were miles short.

It was like an attacking training drill for them. We stood off, slacked off and largely froze. The narrative remains unchanged - they are miles better.

It doesn’t derail what we are trying to do but it’s the first test this side have failed. Celtic once again have the impetus.

Onwards and upwards from here, but we can’t let the gap widen further.

I think we have improved a bit under SG , but worryingly we bever put a glove on them and they hit woodwork 4 times. Its gonna take money and time to catch up. But how much money £10m/20m more?

Need to hold on to the ball better.

Defending ok in the main.
Proof of thi, because i am pretty sure he said it was a foul.. Proof required here pal.

No he said ‘If ref gives it as a foul at least he got it right’ (effectively) in that it was out the box

McGregor - Our best player, but could have cost us with a silly kick out
Tavernier - Poor first half, better second half. Too high up the park at the goal.
Goldson - Fine
Katic - Fine
Barisic - Fine
Arfield - Lots of effort, but little contribution
Jack - Fine
Ejaria - Overwhelmed with the occasion, looks good when he was time and space
Kent - Poor first half, better second half
Morelos - Little to work with, when he did have something he didn't do enough
Lafferty - As ineffective out wide as he always was, should be played as a striker and striker only

Middleton - Unfair to be thrown in, not ready
Candeias - Should have started

Agree with all of that and I’d add the manager got it badly wrong today too. He’s rightly had a lot of praise but 2 draws a defeat and 1 win won’t win the league and that’s a fact. Must do better.

Are you for real, do you understand just exactly what this club has came through since 2012 or have you got your head up your arse. Gerrard has came in, following the last three managers who have been totally inept at organising a football club and in his short period he's signed 13 players, greatly improved us from where we've been and has did this with compartively very little money.

If you take in and read my posts you'll realise that i'm agreeing with you for the most part, however the fact still remains we are still on a rebuilding of the full squad to get us back on top.
Take a pill and sleep it off m8 the keyboard warrior thing will pass and turn into a hangover. 14 players have signed so your wrong about that...go and check.
The reality is goal setting and achieving are all part of rebuilding and moving forward, we have the squad we could afford at this time there's little strength in depth but the first 11 look solid enough for this league and possibly europe, more success, more cash and better players and so on but this is us until the next window.
Is the squad strong enough to do well with the heavy workload, not today, but we have improved out of sight from the last 3 years and on a different day with a different set of circumstances i'm positive we'll see a different result against todays opponents because we have improved.
Sometimes its best not to come on here after a defeat to them and a few shandies but it is what it is...

IMHO SG called it all wrong today. We should have pressed them and they would have folded. Sitting off them and inviting them to attack was asking for trouble. Let's hope this is a lesson learned.

I don’t think we had the legs to press them for 90 mins today mate, really thought we would’ve freshened it up a bit or made subs earlier.

No where near as depressed as I should be after that. Absolutely battered for at least 75 minutes, Celtic cracked the bar and the post 4 times, corner after corner after corner. All I can say is thank %^*& for Allan McGregor or I feel like it could have been another 5-0 again easy.

If Tavernier scored that chance right at the death... 1-1 and we're having a party on here tonight. All ifs and buts.

I have just had to accept that today we were beaten by the better team. We were unable to keep the ball or close them down.

However it is very early in the season and I have no concern that we will not compete as come Christmas you will see us up there either first or no more than three points off first.

Take a pill and sleep it off m8 the keyboard warrior thing will pass and turn into a hangover. 14 players have signed so your wrong about that...go and check.
The reality is goal setting and achieving are all part of rebuilding and moving forward, we have the squad we could afford at this time there's little strength in depth but the first 11 look solid enough for this league and possibly europe, more success, more cash and better players and so on but this is us until the next window.
Is the squad strong enough to do well with the heavy workload, not today, but we have improved out of sight from the last 3 years and on a different day with a different set of circumstances i'm positive we'll see a different result against todays opponents because we have improved.
Sometimes its best not to come on here after a defeat to them and a few shandies but it is what it is...
Uh-huh, ok then. As i said if you read my posts you'll see that i was agreeing with you for the most part but we'll leave it at that.

For weeks it’s been obvious that the poets weak area was their defence but today we didn’t do enough to pressurise them at the back. They targeted tavernier with runs as they saw that as a weakness. It will be different when they come to Ibrox.
How long can we persist with Tavernier as our RB. It's obvious that he's now the weak link in our defence.

I do wonder how much the game on Thursday, playing with 9 men and subsequent flight from Russia effected that performance.

Nothing wrong with being strong defensively, but I wouldn’t have expected that sort of tactics/performance from a Steven Gerrard led football team.

We move on to the break, and then we’ll hit the ground running imo. Hopefully Gerrard has learnt a bit as well

No where near as depressed as I should be after that. Absolutely battered for at least 75 minutes, Celtic cracked the bar and the post 4 times, corner after corner after corner. All I can say is thank %^*& for Allan McGregor or I feel like it could have been another 5-0 again easy.

If Tavernier scored that chance right at the death... 1-1 and we're having a party on here tonight. All ifs and buts.
It was a better chance than Tav thought it was, he really should have hit the target, it was one of our better moves in the game

We have also had one of the most challenging starts to any season. Three away league games, an away game in League Cup and for good measure eight euro games thrown in. As much as it is hard to take on days like today, we have to learn to be a bit more patient both with the team and the manager. He will make more mistakes, what we as a support need to do is support him fully and hope he learns quickly how to deal with games like today.

Tavanier was awful, Morelos was mostly a non-factor who failed to finish and SG was... clueless really. Why not start some rested players? Why not go for their weak defense? Why not take the game to them? Why sit back and get outplayed? Frustrating.

Back