Celtic's last 10 games - one disappointing aspect

We're 11 points clear. Until they've turned those games in hand into points, they don't have them.

Our points are already banked.
Fans handing a team who’ve won 2 out of 10 games 15 points from their next 15, guaranteed, no questions asked. Whilst simultaneously catastrophising about our upcoming games and doomsday parallel universe realities where they didn’t get easily beaten in the Old Firm. But it’s the rest of us who lack perspective. o_O:rolleyes:

They have lost 2 matches domestically, one to Rangers and then the cup game yesterday.
What I hope we are seeing is the movement of power from one club to the other just now.. Rangers have been pushing them for a couple of seasons now but Celtic had the know-how, determination and a bit of luck (like in the cup final a year ago) to edge ahead.
A draw is pretty much the same as a defeat in the Old Firm goldfish bowl. Nothing less than maximum points is good enough. And they’ve lost and drawn plenty of domestic games.

Last edited:
A draw is pretty much the same as a defeat in the Old Firm goldfish bowl. Nothing less than maximum points is good enough. And they’ve lost and drawn plenty for domestic games.
The pressure of it all certainly means that a draw is a big problem. I think that where you see a period of relative or absolute dominance by one team or other ends then there’s often a larger number of draws than previously for the outgoing team.. those chip away at the confidence and undo the effect of winning an Old Firm match here or there.

In 1997/98, Rangers drew 9 matches (drew 5 the previous year) and both teams lost 6.

I firmly believe that Championships are won & lost at places like Pittodrie, Kilmarnock & Easter Road - if you can go there and grind out the wins then you stand a chance. If you go there and drop points then it becomes so much more difficult.
Celtic this season are dropping those points where in the previous half dozen seasons or so they’ve been able to find the goal they needed to win.

The biggest disappointment us that there's no fans in the ground to Lord it up. Imagine the atmosphere at Ibrox right now for the League and Europa games as well and likewise imagine the meltdown at their mhidden.

It would have been glorious!

The most disappointing aspect for me is that it looks like Lennon will be punted. Would have loved him to have still been the manager for a few more pumpings and to see us winning the league.
Tbh I don’t give a %^*& about who manages them when we win the league. If he’s sitting on the dole watching it, it will give me the same satisfaction.

All I care about is seeing Tav, lifting the trophy above his head, hopefully in a packed Ibrox.

As long as the Gaffer and squad don't consider them 'finished' and keep pushing I've no problem with our fans revelling in their situation. I agree it could be a lot worse in the league given their form, etc., but them being out of Europe and the League Cup hits their finances and gives us a clear shot at a trophy.

Press making a big thing about their last 10 results
4 games in Europe, 2 in domestic cups and only 4 games in the league.
Those 4 games in the league they have won 1 drawn 2 and lost to us
Pity during that terrible run they are having there wasn’t more damage done in the league.
I’d really like to see them lose a couple of league games to give us some breathing space.
I would actually settle for them drawing games in the league!we will see the mettle of the rest of the premier league now in Scotland, they are there to be beat,but do the rest have the guts like Ross county?

The scum are a beaten docket, and have looked it all season.

We just need to keep the head against the diddy teams and it will be impossible for them to catch us. Our squad is vastly superior.

We are superior to them in every department.
They have leaked goals since the first game of the season and are actually getting worse.
Unless they suddenly get a defence from somewhere, they're only going to fall further behind.

In their last 3 home games, they conceded as many goals as we have all season.
We've conceded one more in all competitions than they conceded to one bang average Czech team.

What is it exactly that we're meant to be worried about?

My biggest regret as well is that they haven’t dropped more points in the league. Their worst results have been in Europe which are meaningless to us, other than having a laugh. I only hope TLB does more damage to their league position before he gets the chop.

Can't have it all ways. No one would have predicted the results a few months back.

It's up to us, not them.

The SPFL and others predicted only last year that the mentally challengeds would win the league did they not....? and just look what's happening now

4 days ago :oops:

EoHZY_ZXUAEOQ86

Look, there's no doubt we're going much better than them right now. However, we've had so many false dawns in the last few years, it's understandable that we're being overly cautious. The terrible form in February and March the last two seasons has us gun shy.

As mentioned, their terrible recent run has been more in Europe than domestically. I'll only consider us in total control when it's a double digit points lead and we've played the same games.

I don’t see their form being the main factor. We could beat them long before now, but that’s no use when lost points to kilmarnock and bottom of the table Hearts. We’re on another level now. It’s what we do that counts, especially vs them. If the best team wins those games, we win the league.

Try not to laugh at them tbh as it's only ever ended one way in recent times. Them laughing at us at the end of the season. It's realisticly 5 points with them to play 3 times. It's not over by any stretch. Basicly the same team we had last season collapsed. So it wouldn't take a miracle to happen again. Look back at the game v hibs thread and loads of posters saying it's the same as last season etc. Same team same outcome. Although I think we have have improved if they keep it at 5 points until January. Which is achievable. Then push the boat out and get a decent manager in and give him funds then you would expect that manager to beat everyone apart from us. They will play before us now putting pressure on a team that's crumbled every time we seem to think we are getting somewhere. Il not take much notice of posters thinking it's over when the same posters had valuations of Rob Kiernan at 6 million b mckay at least 10 million before we do business etc. Let's not get carried away. They are capable of clawing back 5 points .

Loads of punters are getting side tracked by thinking their done.
A lot of their tankings are in europe which means nothing to us.
I hope the other premier league teams now smell blood after what Ross County did.

This is all however based on assumptions that the following things go in the yahoos favour

1) lennon turns it around and wins his games in hand then comes to Ibrox and wins

2) lennon gets the sack (36 hours and counting and he's still there) and the new guy (who they getting?) Wins their games in hand then comes to Ibrox and wins

3) we drop more pts than they do against the dross before Jan 2nd

Do any of these scenarios sound that likely based on current form?

That’s the only disappointing thing for me this year is how well we have played and how bad they are, that we are only 5 points in front.
I know it’s 11 but if they drop points in the 2 postponed games then it’s a bonus for us.

We are absolutely flying just now, scoring goals, creating chances, dominating procession and giving nothing away at the back.
Wait till our talisman starts adding goals again to his fine performances.
They will likely drop points before those games. The pressure on them is growing game on game.

Pity during that terrible run they are having there wasn’t more damage done in the league.
I’d really like to see them lose a couple of league games to give us some breathing space.
Is 11 points no enough??

We also have to overcome the winter break curse.

We return to the league like the players have never met before.

It’s been great that they have regularly dropped points. In the last few years they have went on crazy runs that are very difficult to match. The shoe is on the other foot now where every time they drop points they are being punished.
It’s slightly disappointing that their run of fixtures up until March is very favourable and I would be stunned if they don’t go on a wee run now. Apart from the game at Ibrox their only away games against current top 6 sides before April are to killie ( currently 6th) and Dundee Utd ( currently 5th). The good old fixture computer has certainly given them an easy 2-3 months worth of winter fixtures.

Last edited:
They have lost 2 matches domestically, one to Rangers and then the cup game yesterday.
What I hope we are seeing is the movement of power from one club to the other just now.. Rangers have been pushing them for a couple of seasons now but Celtic had the know-how, determination and a bit of luck (like in the cup final a year ago) to edge ahead.
Also dropped 6 points in the league drawing games against killie sheep and hibs. A domestic draw is like a defeat sometimes

Try not to laugh at them tbh as it's only ever ended one way in recent times. Them laughing at us at the end of the season. It's realisticly 5 points with them to play 3 times. It's not over by any stretch. Basicly the same team we had last season collapsed. So it wouldn't take a miracle to happen again. Look back at the game v hibs thread and loads of posters saying it's the same as last season etc. Same team same outcome. Although I think we have have improved if they keep it at 5 points until January. Which is achievable. Then push the boat out and get a decent manager in and give him funds then you would expect that manager to beat everyone apart from us. They will play before us now putting pressure on a team that's crumbled every time we seem to think we are getting somewhere. Il not take much notice of posters thinking it's over when the same posters had valuations of Rob Kiernan at 6 million b mckay at least 10 million before we do business etc. Let's not get carried away. They are capable of clawing back 5 points .
It's
It's 11 points! They haven't won those games in hand. They look likely to drop more points the shape their in. No confidence, and every game is a tense affair for them now.

Is 11 points no enough??
With 2 games in hand I simply don’t think of that being truly 11 points
The real question is...
Is 5 points not enough?
I’d say no it’s not, given the very poor run they’ve had. This was a golden opportunity to grab a load of points

Totally agree, and I said in another thread, the reason they are going to mental is they know that league is still very much all to play for.

We have to just keep our own focus and keep getting the results we need. All things going well, we should be going into the next OF with a healthy lead.

Like last season, it wasn't the head to head the liked us, it was dropping silly points at home (loss to Hamilton, draw v Aberdeen etc)
100% agree. Without tempting fate, this year we look so much better on all fronts and whilst we will no doubt drop some points, Celtic look like they will drop more than us. We just need to keep doing what we're doing

If we win all our games up until the derby at home, they'll probably drop more points under the pressure. If they don't, and we win the home derby, that takes us 17 points ahead with 3 games in hand. Based on what we've seen over the past few months, there's no way they won't crumble if that happens.

People need to stop talking about what’s “likely” or “unlikely”. Did we look likely to capitulate after the winter break 2 years ago coming off an OF win over Rodger’s scum team that should have acted as a springboard? No

Did we look likely to capitulate after the winter break for a second consecutive season after a win at the piggery that again should have acted as a springboard to further success with lessons also being learned from the previous season’s collapse? No.

There’s no sense in talking about what looks likely to happen from December onwards because what happened from this point onwards in the two previous seasons was the exact opposite of what was looking likely in December.

At the end of the day, we just need to stay focused and take our games one at a time and if we take care of our games the pressure stays on them and we hope that this is enough to force them into more slip ups.

If we win all our games up until the derby at home, they'll probably drop more points under the pressure. If they don't, and we win the home derby, that takes us 17 points ahead with 3 games in hand. Based on what we've seen over the past few months, there's no way they won't crumble if that happens.
I'm confident in every game we go into now but we are going to drop points at some stage so don't think we can go round counting every game as points in the bag.

Why aren't they being told to play their game against Aberdeen on the 15th/16th December when we all have the League Cup fixtures? They are meant to be played the first available spot and I want them playing as many games as possible during their dire run.

I understand that it's been a while since we've had a chance to gloat (their euro results excepted). However, talk of the 10 being gone (or league being over, more accurately) is ridiculous. We only need to look at last year. We were in a position of strength there too.

We need to keep it all in perspective.
I cannot recall seeing so much as one post suggesting the league is over but perspective suggests to me that this Rangers team could be a bit special. We are flying and have only lost three league goals all season whereas they are rank rotten and in disarray.
Off course Covid , bottle and injuries could yet upset things but right now things could not be more promising .
That's my perspective.

We're in a good place right now
It's up to us to go forward from here & make the most of the current advantage

The OP has rightly pointed out that the advantage we have right now may be relatively slight in league terms

There's nearly 6 months of playing time left in this campaign - there's countless scenarios yet to happen & the chances of predicting how this pans out - are why bookies are so rich

The best thing right now is - it's in our hands - only we can foul up - whatever they do

We are superior to them in every department.
They have leaked goals since the first game of the season and are actually getting worse.
Unless they suddenly get a defence from somewhere, they're only going to fall further behind.

In their last 3 home games, they conceded as many goals as we have all season.
We've conceded one more in all competitions than they conceded to one bang average Czech team.

What is it exactly that we're meant to be worried about?
And 5 of those we conceded to a TOP European team.
Our ONLY worry this season should be ourselves. We keep this momentum going and it could be an early title triumph. No winter break after the Old firm for us this year is huge, assuming we win it of course.

Look, there's no doubt we're going much better than them right now. However, we've had so many false dawns in the last few years, it's understandable that we're being overly cautious. The terrible form in February and March the last two seasons has us gun shy.

As mentioned, their terrible recent run has been more in Europe than domestically. I'll only consider us in total control when it's a double digit points lead and we've played the same games.
This run of 10 games, 4 in Europe. 6 domestically.
Poor results domestically
Rangers (H) lost 2-0
Aberdeen (A) drew 3-3
Hibs (A) drew 2-2
County (H) lost 2-0

Not really true this poor form hasn’t also been domestically

Something smells here

The real question is...
Is 5 points not enough?
I’d say no it’s not, given the very poor run they’ve had. This was a golden opportunity to grab a load of points
What are you on about. We’ve barely missed an opportunity all season. 100% win percentage is not a reasonable expectation

To put it in perspective if they had of won the OF game they would be a point ahead. Thats how tight the margins are
My thoughts exactly. This is fun, and I also agree it's up to us. But some more damage in the league would've been nice. If we draw once then can go equal by beating us at Ibrox.
This stuff is easy to do.
If they draw a mere one of their games and we win all of our games until we play them - and we then beat them (we are the home team) we are then 16 points ahead. 10 points if they win their games in hand.

Been thinking the same.

The real question is...
Is 5 points not enough?
It is 11 points! Do you want to gift them them the 6 points? :mad:

The difference this season is we've sorted out most of our shortcomings like breaking teams down and goals spread throughout the team I'm certainly not over confident but know that we can actually win this league .

Had their poor form all been league games we would pretty much be champions elect already. The old firms will be important, if we win at least 2 of the remaining 3 league ones I can’t see us losing the league but if they somehow manage to beat us in all of them they will probably win it.

Back