Central attacking midfielder in january ?

We don’t play a system that suits an out and out attacking midfielder.
What we need is an right sided attacker who can contribute both goals and assists, much like Kent.

Our midfield 3 complement each other well and when we need a change in there then Aribo plays ahead of Kamara.

The thing is we have a player who fits this mould perfectly and has all the talent in the world in Aribo, he just seems to play within himself, very similar to Barasic first season, hopefully he can settle in soon
He's still young so just needs a bit of time. It's clear he's got bucket loads of potential. It's maybe a matter of picking the games as the bigger games seem to pass him by.
Like josh windass?
tenor.gif

I’ve always said I think he’s more of a winger/right half than a full back. I’d push him forward and put Flanagan behind him.
He has played that position before and was hopeless. He is not a right winger. Tav is good as an attacking back because he is not marked constantly which he would be in a more advanced roll

Berghuis would be great a fantastic player but we would need to rob a bank to afford him.

I know it might get shot down in flames with him being injured and nearly signing with them in the summer but David Turnbull is exactly the short of player we need in midfield. Has a bit of dig and bite, can find fantastic space for shots and rebounds. He also has a wicked shot from distance, which would massively help as jack seems to be the only really taking long shots (that are atleast half decent). Obviously with the injury it might take him a bit to get up to speed, but will probably be his cheapest time for a long time.

In January if Kamara goes for over 8 mil I'd test the waters and see if 3 million and both Doc/Murphy on loan could get us Turnbull and Campbell (another very decent but more defensive cm). I get the feeling that Campbell could make the step up and follow a similar path to Jack/Kamara.

Even if we don't go for Turnbull, I really don't want the scum getting him. He has the potential to be a great player and could make them 20 mil+ down the line. If we aren't interested then I'd love Celtic to over haggle at the price and regretting losing him for years (ala John McGinn)

I’ve always said I think he’s more of a winger/right half than a full back. I’d push him forward and put Flanagan behind him.
This is one of the biggest myths I hear rangers fans saying a lot , Tav is never a right winger , it’s like saying Andy Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are good at going forward but they get caught defensively so play both right and left wing. It doesn’t work like that , totally different postion , we are joint top coming upto Xmas , almost qualified for last 32 in Europe , heading into a cup final , have conceded once in the league in our previous five , and you want out right back to go to right wing ? Give it a rest.

Get rid of deadwood, i.e. King,Docherty and take in a centre attacking midfieler and right winger. Long shot, but believe its all we need.

I think we should only be looking to replace players who are leaving in January unless something special comes up. The squad is in really good shape.

It's hard not to agree given how much he has ripped it up at Wigan...

(I am very proud of myself here for replying with a sacrcastic comment rather than telling these posters to f.uc.k off before launching into a 2000 word rant about that Spice Boy:)))
Aye cos I was being dead serious aswell :))

Hasn’t it already been stated that club wants to trim not add more?. Maybe there is a deal that we would move on but i wouldn’t be expecting anything. Besides, we have some options in forward areas that need to be explored first, can Jones, Murphy and Barker contribute for us going forward?, that remains unanswered.

Hasn’t it already been stated that club wants to trim not add more?. Maybe there is a deal that we would move on but i wouldn’t be expecting anything. Besides, we have some options in forward areas that need to be explored first, can Jones, Murphy and Barker contribute for us going forward?, that remains unanswered.

It could be a NET TRIM ?

Get Polster, Halliday, Ojo, Greg, King out the door and bring in two ?

I agree that we could be doing with someone who can play in the central midfield three as an attacking playmaker. Positionally our best 3 midfielders are all pretty similar. Regularly playing 2 of those 3 (Jack, Davis, Kamara) alongside a different type would bring another attacking dimension. It’s the type of player I hope Aribo can go on to become. Unlikely we’ll find another £50K type signing good enough to make a difference to the first 11 so we’d likely need to sell first. And I also agree that we could be doing with another Kent to play on the right. We do have lots of options to play there but we’re possibly lacking a bit of real quality.

With the experience we have in midfield surely we could give some game time ,late sub , to Serge Atakayi see what he is made of .

Adam Hlozek.

Very quick, very skilful, can finish with both feet, still only 17yrs old.

Sparta Prague are out of Europe and 4th in their division. The chance to come and progress under SG could be very attractive to this kid.

I would love to see us get a Patrick Vieira type midfielder!!
However they are not cheap and not easy to find

so a player that breaks up play and keeps it simple, but not like Jack, Kamara or Davis...........

We dont really play with a number 10 so dont see the point. The system Gerrard uses 95% of the time requires the midfield to do the simple things. Be organized defensively, do the simple things and look to get the ball out wide for our wingers and full backs to create a lot of our chances, taking away one of those midfielders and sticking him just behind Morelos for the entire match will leave you far more vulnerable on the counter which is how teams mostly play us and potentially just not allow us to control matches as easily as we have been this season. The system fits the midfield of Jack, Davis and Kamara perfectly which is why they're able to consistently perform on a weekly basis and i would rather we not deviate from that system instead of looking for a long term solution to the right side of the attack, Stewart is alright and versatile which makes him a really good back up solution but that's where all the attention should be going to if we're going to be signing someone

Last edited:
I still miss him, I'm pretty confident Gerrard would have improved him.
He played well for 3 months over the course of his two seasons here, looked amazing in those 3 months mind but we got 2.5 million for a player a lot of us never wanted to see play for us again after his first season That was the best he was ever going to be and the fact that he's done very little with Wigan since suggests we got rid of him at the perfect time as his value would only have dropped considering we dont play with a 10 and he hated playing out wide and wasn't ever going to put in the effort to get better there

It's quite simple. A clever goalscoring midfielder able to pick a pass and help break down the brick wall defences we come up against week in week out. For me that's the one glaring advantage the mentally challengeds have over us. Getting the right guy in this January is a different story.

Back