Central Defence a Major Issue

I wasn't Sands' biggest fan but he's holding his own in central defence. I'd rather him that Souttar....
Missing big Balogun, shouldn't have let him go, he was always a big presence in either box.

Balogun is getting better and better with every minute he’s not here.

With Davies, Helander and Souttar all out, it’s no surprise we look shaky at that back, that said, Sands played well.

Balogun has not played a minute of football and will likely need another pre-season, he will be a month away from playing.

All comes down to how long the contracted players are out for I suppose

Other than the early De Jong chance Sands was very solid tonight. The set piece defending for the goals was a shambles
I agree with both your points however having sands as one of our centre halfs weakens us so much at set pieces. I said it before the game and i was proven right. I will reiterate a point thats been made frequently recently… having balogun watching us from the stands is absolutely bonkers.

I’ve said it all summer, but we are weak in central defence. With Helander unreliable and now Souttar and Davies carrying knocks we are weak in here.

Sands isn’t a natural centre back and is being asked to do a job but it’s going to cost us.

In my opinion we should bring Balogun back, he at least offers a physical presence and ability to attack balls in the air. Both goals were soft and all down to the fact we can’t defend properly and lack physicality.
Heh Ally,

Why you not going to Eindhoven?

It's not a major problem at all. Sands had a good game. Conor's could and have did better especially at the 2nd goal. We have Davies and Souttar to return. Absolutely no need for panic.

Bring back balogun. Might sound mental but until goldson gets his finger out i would rather play balogun and sands at the back. Heck i would even try katic again. I know thats not goiny happen before anyone says it. I get how good goldson has been over the years but he has been genuinely honking this season so far. Time for a rest

As great as Goldson has been for us, he never looks entirely comfortable defending corners and free kicks.

You want a big Amo type bastard in there who’s going to be first to every ball and Goldson just doesn’t convince he’s that man.

It would be unfair to lay the blame at his door though. We also lack a degree of quality as an attacking force at this level.

As well as Colak played, you can’t help thinking a fully fit and focussed Morelos would have given the PSV defence a more torrid time of it.

Zonal marking at set pieces is the issue 1st goal was just unlucky it hits a PSV player then off Tav and the guy gets a touch on it. 2nd goal the guy that scored has a 5 yard run unmarked he's always going to win the ball in that situation when you zonal mark Goldson can't get up due to it.
I don’t disagree with the zonal marking ness that Gio is insisting on. However expect my CH to be far better mate.

we tried to sign danilo doeki and ended up with davies

totally different players, makes you wonder why the change in the ch profile we were looking at

Psv are a big team, we need souttar or Davies back for the second leg to compete better.
Why was sands challenging de jong and goldson trying to sweep? Common sense surely would have been for it to be the other way about. Also why the %^*& have we went zonal???? Get that binned the now! Does more harm than good

As great as Goldson has been for us, he never looks entirely comfortable defending corners and free kicks.

You want a big Amo type bastard in there who’s going to be first to every ball and Goldson just doesn’t convince he’s that man.

It would be unfair to lay the blame at his door though. We also lack a degree of quality as an attacking force at this level.

As well as Colak played, you can’t help thinking a fully fit and focussed Morelos would have given the PSV defence a more torrid time of it.
of course alfie would have

he's did it against top euro teams dunno why people prefer colak over him

You never know what goes on behind the scenes, but I just got the feeling all too often that when Sands lost a heading battle Balogun wouldn’t have. Two set piece goals too! But we’re talking about an ex player who was what 34?!

Sounds ridiculous, but Sands is just too wee vs some of these monsters. We’re unlucky to be missing both our left sided CBs!!
Sands isn’t the reason we conceded either goal ffs, he only got badly beaten once in the air tonight by De Jong that came to a chance for them.

I don’t disagree with the zonal marking ness that Gio is insisting on. However expect my CH to be far better mate.

Goldson can't do anything though soon as that guy has a free unchallenged run there's only going to be 1 winner in that situation and it isn't going to be Goldson or any other one of our defenders. The 1st goal was really frustrating but fortunate for how it fell for Teze to lay it off.

Who was marking the boy for the second goal??

Hard to tell from where I was. Both goals were typical Rangers and it needs to stop.

The ball comes into his zone and he cushion headers it.

He was the issue with distribution out of defence most times playing Sands into tight spaces or poor passing.

He was really poor tonight, too concerned with moaning at the ref and everyone else
100% correct

It's pretty harsh to blame anyone for the first goal. If anyone is to blame it's probably Tilman as he's caught under the ball at the front post when the corner came in.
Goldson to blame for the second, we'll need to improve defending set pieces. Was a problem at times last season.
Balogun ain't coming back, even if he did he wouldn't be playing next week.

Unless we qualify for the CL proper, I'd have Balogun in over the international break and get a pre season in him

He'd be ready to go by end of September and he knows all about the league.

Sands isn’t the reason we conceded either goal ffs, he only got badly beaten once in the air tonight by De Jong that came to a chance for them.
I didn’t say he was, but people read what they want to I suppose. But now you mention it, I like Sands, genuinely. Doesn’t use his left foot enough though, we need someone that does, that isn’t injured. Thems is the brakes though.

Bring back balogun. Might sound mental but until goldson gets his finger out i would rather play balogun and sands at the back. Heck i would even try katic again. I know thats not goiny happen before anyone says it. I get how good goldson has been over the years but he has been genuinely honking this season so far. Time for a rest

Absolutely ridiculous!!

PSV got a handful of corners scored 2 goals , on the other hand we get a handful of corners and cannot even get it by the first man.

I didn’t say he was. But De Jong certainly knew he’d get more joy against him than Goldson. That was clear.
De Jong had one chance on the deck that Sands could’ve gone first man to cut out but Tav was probably more to blame that he switched off. De Jong for me didn’t give us any real issues and Sands played him well. The fact remains PSV got more joy against Goldson than any other Rangers player.

Goldson's picked up an identical booking in 3 of our games so far this season, he's not quite been at it so far this season.

I’ve said it all summer, but we are weak in central defence. With Helander unreliable and now Souttar and Davies carrying knocks we are weak in here.

Sands isn’t a natural centre back and is being asked to do a job but it’s going to cost us.

In my opinion we should bring Balogun back, he at least offers a physical presence and ability to attack balls in the air. Both goals were soft and all down to the fact we can’t defend properly and lack physicality.
Sands has been our best central defender this season. Goldson has cost us numerous goals, this season and cost us in the Europa Final, but he gets a bye somehow.

Sands gets bashed something awful, but how many times has he saved terrible play from his team mates? How many goals has he directly cost us in comparison to others?

We don’t need to bring back another injury prone centre back.

Wasn’t Souttar in a protective boot and looking at a spell out?

Back