Central Midfield

I think Barker’s terrible barnet needs addressing how can we slag off thumbheid when that abomination goes unpunished, either pay for a f&ckin hair weave or shave it ya dobber.

We have no balance in Midfield imo, too many similar type players doing the same pass back, sideways etc. SG and GM must see it. We need 2 different quality type players in there to mix it up.

We need that quality deep lying midfielder who can play those long forward passes consistently that none of our midfielder do right now. I would like another that plays the number 8 role as well but I don’t know if finances will allow that. If Morelos is sold we should be bringing in another attacker in the roofe mold, one that can play multiple forward positions.

We need that quality deep lying midfielder who can play those long forward passes consistently that none of our midfielder do right now. I would like another that plays the number 8 role as well but I don’t know if finances will allow that. If Morelos is sold we should be bringing in another attacker in the roofe mold, one that can play multiple forward positions.

We badly need the two quality additions it could be the difference maker for us especially domestically imo.

We have enough in defence and plenty of firepower sort out the midfield and anything is possible for us.

We will likely have to ship out players well we have plenty in the squad who should be sold to free up wages.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't strengthen further Gerrard said tonight him and the board are on the same path and as we have seen the management have been backed one more final push could be the difference for us.

The amount of 50/50s we lost out on due to a lack of physicality and dig in the middle was pretty astounding in the first half, clear that we need someone who can change that

We could sign the perfect players for this formation and we'll be asking why it doesn't work when every professional football team knows how to set up against us. We are a one dimensional team. By the way, expected nothing from tonight, just alarmed at the same issues that were visible last season and the season before again visible tonight after being also visible at Pittodrie, but you're just an alarmist negative mentally challenged pointing this out. Shift Morelos on and get the team having some nuance and flexibility about it. Roofe is a fantastic step towards that.

Last edited:
CM’s were abysmal tonight and I say that as a fan of both SD & RJ. We need more energy and aggression in the middle of the park. Everyone knows that though.

Jack was so nervous on the ball and negative there were times he didn’t even lift his head and started heading back the way when there were forward passes on.

I’d imagine the manager will be pressing ahead to get a midfielder in someone like the dyed blonde hair boy they had he was unreal all action and could play too.

We need mobility and someone who will pick their head up and get the ball forward quicker.

Jack was so nervous on the ball and negative there were times he didn’t even lift his head and started heading back the way when there were forward passes on.

I’d imagine the manager will be pressing ahead to get a midfielder in someone like the dyed blonde hair boy they had he was unreal all action and could play too.
This is true and it’s so evident but as Empire alluded to, Gerrard has really put all his eggs in Jack’s basket.

Gerrard did say we are actively looking to sign a midfielder and even said a transfer for one was close to done last week. Possible it was Zungu, but the club have denied it and claimed we were never in for him. So maybe we'll sign one over the weekend or at the beginning of next week, hopefully.

I still think we'll sign one before Morelos goes, then maybe once Alfie goes we'll push the boat out and go for someone of a higher calibre.

I think with Davis ageing, Jack seemingly becoming a tad injury prone and Kamara being a bit dozy at times in domestic games. We are due some serious upgrades in the middle of the park. All three of the above will play a role but and no doubt be crucial. Aribo and Kamara are so far the only ones who appear to be up to the standard you would expect. Obviously that can and will likely change. However, our midfield currently does look like it's only had 550k spent on it and that needs remedied.

Davis might be slowing down but he is still good enough to be part of the squad and i feel he can handle most games domestically. I really don't think tonight is the norm for who we will regularly face.
However as others have said, I do think we need at least one addition to the midfield that is starting 11 quality.

We played against a team who were quicker, stronger, better tonight, there's no disgrace in losing to that team, however it did show up obvious deficiencies in our team, the midfield especially, I do like Ryan Jack but he is very robotic and plays as if painting by numbers, Davis I am a huge fan of but he died with his boots on post January, both players will serve us well against most of the dross we face week in week out but against elite teams they won't cut it, harsh? yes when you consider one of the opposition is valued at more than our entire team, we did fantastically well to get this far and we should be proud of them, but unless we can produce a Durrant and a Barry Ferguson from the youths simultaneously then we will not compete with the big boys, I am glad we went out last night as lengthy European runs have hampered us domestically the past 2 seasons.

Not to be harsh but when playing teams like Leverkusen they are a level above players Like Jack in our midfield. No doubt He’s a battler and will do a job for us domestically , it’s just how it is. Davis also starting to show signs that he’s done at the very top level too.

Were you slagging off our midfield when they were dominating Brown and McGregor, Porto, Braga, Feyenoord, Legia etc etc?

Here's a novel idea, why not refrain from making rash judgments in the first week of the season?

Writing Steven Davis off, when he's just started his first competitive game of the season, after an injury doesn't show a great level of football knowledge mate.

Let's cut them a bit of slack until everyone is fully match fit.

We do need two in. A natural holding player that can play forward passes and a dynamic number 8, I really hope Zungu is the former as he seems absolutely perfect for that role.

Aribo, Kamara and Jack are the only midfielders we have that are good enough to start regularly imo, Davis and Arfield should be nothing more than rotation options to give others a rest.

Kamara, Jack and Davis are fine, perhaps even good, options. But none of them should be an automatic first pick in the vein of a Goldson or Barisic. There are various reasons for that.

Intrigued to see who we bring in now. No one will be able to convince me that the interest in Zungu wasn't legitimate.

These midfielders may fall short against Leverkusen but generally they do great. We need to help them with a different option tho

Kamara, Jack and Davis are fine, perhaps even good, options. But none of them should be an automatic first pick in the vein of a Goldson or Barisic. There are various reasons for that.

Intrigued to see who we bring in now. No one will be able to convince me that the interest in Zungu wasn't legitimate.
I agree with you with the Zungu interest, he didn't go to Manchester for no reason, hopefully it isn't completely dead.

I do highly disagree with you on those three being good options for the holding role though, they can semi adequately cover the position in cases of injury or suspension but they're simply incapable of maintaining a high tempo, attacking style of play with forward passes.

It's really easy for me to look back at some performance last season and try to convince myself that it was working then and could now but the thing is our midfield has always been highly inefficient and one dimensional in the majority of games we play, we've just had two very good fullbacks to mask it.

I can totally understand why Barker got his shot, he has pace but I'm surprised Hagi didn't drop in for Davis, the boy always closes down and was more match fit that Davis. I've cried out vocally far too much about us having 2 DMs it's really not needed and I actually think it hampers Aribo too as having someone like minded to pair with him helps him thrive. Fingers crossed a lesson is learned.

A physical and pacey DM who can get the ball rolling fast and forward and quality box to box midfielder and I'd be buzzing.

I agree with you with the Zungu interest, he didn't go to Manchester for no reason, hopefully it isn't completely dead.

I do highly disagree with you on those three being good options for the holding role though, they can semi adequately cover the position in cases of injury or suspension but they're simply incapable of maintaining a high tempo, attacking style of play with forward passes.

It's really easy for me to look back at some performance last season and try to convince myself that it was working then and could now but the thing is our midfield has always been highly inefficient and one dimensional in the majority of games we play, we've just had two very good fullbacks to mask it.

Nah I actually agree with that completely!

For me, we need two new players in there. Two athletic monsters who can dominate physically and aren't scared to carry the ball up the park and play it forward.

Here's a question. How much do people think we'd get for Ryan Jack this summer ? Because I'd be seriously considering punting him to help fund what's required.

We need two in midfield; one proper number six who just sits and can even drop back into the defence to allow the full backs sit higher, and also someone who can push forward beyond the forwards and get 8-10 a season.

We also need the management to do what they’re paid for and work on an alternative.

Ryan Jack hasn't kicked his arse since we lost the cup final. I'd like to see 2 new centre midfielders signed.

That midfield did absolutly fine agaisnt Feyennord, Porto & Braga.

Yet barely played a game domestically after the Celtic game at Parkhead, as they did the season before that.
If these midfielders were good enough we would have been winning things. Our season fall apart due to the lack of creativity in midfield, reliance on one striker whose form collapsed after every winter break and two wider forwards who barely score or have assists.

Let’s see who is here at end of transfer window first before complaining. Alfie going will be the start a tranfer Merry-go-round.

I Don't think our cente midfield is as bad as people are making out - they strolled to on Sunday against the 3rd best team in the league and tonight was an anomaly - Leverkusen are miles ahead of any team we have or will face in a long time so I wouldn't judge it on that. That being said it is clear Gerrard wants one more CM so I would expect us to make a move - would be interesting to see Hagi play in there though
Strolled? Pedestrian is the word. Saturday was a game for a dynamic box to box midfielder linking play. The midfield duo were poor I felt considering they were up against nothing

For me, we need two new players in there. Two athletic monsters who can dominate physically and aren't scared to carry the ball up the park and play it forward.

Here's a question. How much do people think we'd get for Ryan Jack this summer ? Because I'd be seriously considering punting him to help fund what's required.

£3m max, his constant fitness issues ensure we won’t get decent money for him

Were you slagging off our midfield when they were dominating Brown and McGregor, Porto, Braga, Feyenoord, Legia etc etc?

Here's a novel idea, why not refrain from making rash judgments in the first week of the season?

Writing Steven Davis off, when he's just started his first competitive game of the season, after an injury doesn't show a great level of football knowledge mate.

Let's cut them a bit of slack until everyone is fully match fit.

The negative ones are out in force its the result they were waiting on to stick the boot in despite the manager saying he wants to strengthen the midfield.

The midfield was poor last night but they were up against top drawer opposition. Jack doesn't look fit to me he looks like he's carrying a knock. Davis looked off it as well and he will eventually be phased out of the team this season.

Anything over £2 million would be decent business for us but I’d accept less to move him on.

He isn’t worth any more. He’s not an regular international player, has long term knee issue, he hasn’t won anything, doesn’t contribute much in attack and doesn’t consistently influence games. You get it in flashes.

I don’t really see any clubs paying much for him which tells a story. As does the fact he has never been able to break into the Scotland midfield.

Last edited:
There are levels to the game and they are simply a much better football team than us in every department.

The paedos were beaten 3-1 off Copenhagen ffs, we did brilliantly to get as far as we did.

The weakest part of our team.

Also the biggest difference between us and our competitors domestically.

The engine room is so important and I think Aribo is the only one who is of the quality required to take us to the next level.

The lack of passing ability, control, speed and strength in Jack, Kamara, Davis and Arfield is worrying. Always a side ball or playing backwards, rarely do they offer anything different to one another.

100% agree with you. It’s the biggest problem area now.

I like Jack, Kamara, Arfield and Davis. They are all going to be important members of the squad this season. But they need some help.

Maybe I am being harsh on Davis, but they all seem to suffer from the classic Scottish trait of only being able to play in the direction they are facing. This invariably slows play down, we don’t see passes quick enough, can not open up the game or dictate the play as we are uncomfortable against the high press. For instance, when the Leverkusen player is up Jacks arse you know it’s either going back to the full back or the goalkeeper.

For me we need a couple of players, one that can do the above and another that is physically dominant. Strong, quick and aggressive. I feel non of our midfielders have a real burst of power over 5-10 yards to win second balls.

Arfield is nowhere near good enough to be anywhere near our first 11.
He certainly brought a freshness to the midfield last night and that says enough for me, our midfield has been stale for long enough and Gerrard needs to improve it or we will win nothing again this season

They did but those teams aren’t particularly good. We’ve done ourselves proud in Europe and should give credit where it’s due.

I don’t agree however that we should ignore the fact we didn’t get close to Leverkusen. They are a good side but they are not an elite side. We want to play CL football in the future and therefore we need to find away to compete with better sides.

Midfield was also a big part of the reason we fell apart after January. Every single one of them were awful after the break.

Forget Europe, the midfield must be upgraded if we are to win anything domestically. Davis is finished and Jack needs to be upgraded.

Don’t get me wrong, it done the job against the said teams but we were still dominated for long periods in the games.

It doesn’t mean in any way that we can go into the new season with what we have though, especially if it’s being played the same way that it has in the past two seasons.

Back