Centre Halves we have signed from Hearts

hallyG

A few spring to mind David MacPherson , Alan McLaren , Paul Ritchie, Danny Wilson ( i think) The late Zaliukas - there must be others that I have missed
Hope he last longer than Ritchie :)

Andy Webster but less said about him the better
Edit - not sure if we got him directly from them, I'm sure we got him from some club down south. Can't remember who

A few spring to mind David MacPherson , Alan McLaren , Paul Ritchie, Danny Wilson ( i think) The late Zaliukas - there must be others that I have missed
Hope he last longer than Ritchie :)
Alan mclaren the best from that list, pity about his injuries, hope souter doesn't follow that path.

Hearts have always served as a stepping stone for players en route to Ibrox and of course as a retirement home for many leaving in their later years.
I am sure Hearts fans must recognise this.
Bilko, I genuinely can't think of many who came to us from Gorgie (I'm trying to be nice here), who became absolute stars/stalwarts for us. Certainly not in a Shearer, Millar, Baxter, Stein, McLean, Forsth mould. Although I admit that's a pretty high mould. And there's plenty I've missed.

McLaren? Maybe, but we'll never know just how much as he was injury prone.
McPherson? Did us a turn in his yo-yo years but I don't think I can count him, really.
Neil McCann was a great signing, but again turned out to be short term.

After that, I'm stymied. Which means, I must have missed a stand out.

I like Alan McClaren and thought he was a great player, picked up a bad injury if I remember and never really came back. Big Dave McPherson was 1 of those players that you never appreciated at the time, but he gave everything and he was also a great player.

Bilko, I genuinely can't think of many who came to us from Gorgie (I'm trying to be nice here), who became absolute stars/stalwarts for us. Certainly not in a Shearer, Millar, Baxter, Stein, McLean, Forsth mould. Although I admit that's a pretty high mould. And there's plenty I've missed.

McPherson? Did us a turn in his yo-yo years but I don't think I can count him, really.

I just looked up McPherson's history.

Nearly fell out my chair.

He got more caps than Davie Cooper:eek:.

That's what is wrong with this world, right there.

The 50's : Colin Lidell; John Prentice
The 60's: Nil
The 70's: Nil
The 80's: Nil
The 90's: Dave McPherson, Alan McLaren, Neil McCann
The 00's: Nil
The 10's: Lee Wallace, David Templeton, Jason Holt.

That's it up until 2015 anyway, and not all central defence.

Not criticising the OP because the perception can have more influence than reality.

4 and a half years isn't short term.

Always surprised me that we never made a move for Levein back in the day
I read somewhere that Jock Wallace was interested in signing Levein and Gordon Durie from Hibs, but the board wouldn’t back him. I’m sure it was Wallace himself spoke about it sometime after his sacking.

I just looked up McPherson's history.

Nearly fell out my chair.

He got more caps than Davie Cooper:eek:.

That's what is wrong with this world, right there.
McPherson wasn't popular with the fans, was regularly played out of position and later in a system that didn't suit his game but "he did us a turn" at Rangers and when allowed to play his game was a great defender. I know I will get stick for defending him but Walter valued him and would play him out of position just to have him on the park.

McPherson wasn't popular with the fans, was regularly played out of position and later in a system that didn't suit his game but "he did us a turn" at Rangers and when allowed to play his game was a great defender. I know I will get stick for defending him but Walter valued him and would play him out of position just to have him on the park.
Remember being at the game where Bambi on ice scored 4 goals in an away tie in Europe.

Absolutely de railing the thread here and it’s definitely not a dig at the OP.
It’s a genuine question.

We know the plural of half is “halves”, but in the context of footballer positions, would you say “centre halfs”?
It’s bugging me.:))

Absolutely de railing the thread here and it’s definitely not a dig at the OP.
It’s a genuine question.

We know the plural of half is “halves”, but in the context of footballer positions, would you say “centre halfs”?
It’s bugging me.:))
Yes! Football talk is outside, and defies, literary conventions. Totally with you there, mate.

I remember McPherson really struggling at the start. Wasn’t very popular. Was it Souness that had faith in him and turned things around?
Greig played him in midfield. Wallace converted him to centre half once McClelland departed. Souness played him next to Butcher. He was decent. Moved him to right back I once Roberts was signed. Hearts offered £725k. He was gone.
Upon his return Stevens got injured that summer. McPherson played right back. Did ok for the treble\UCL th season. Was ok the following year.
Always saw him as a trier, got a lot of Euro goals, 7 i think. Although 4 came against Valetta in one game.

McCann had 5 seasons at the club, he won 3 League Championship titles,4'Scottish Cups,2 League Cups, hardly short term but as you say a great signing

Back