Champions league first qualifying round starts tonight

Yoniboy

The first qualifying round of the Champions league kicks off tonight, with a few decent teams amongst the minnows such as Ferencvaros, Quarabag, Malmo, Lech Poznan, HJK Helsinki, Slovan Bratislava and Maribor and there's an all British tie with Linfield away to Welsh champions TNS in the first leg.

Will there be any channels showing any of the games do we know? (no illegal streams obvs)

For all the discontent and rumblings in our support at the minute

We need to remember this is the sort of level we were scratching around in a few short years ago

We ain't doing too bad these days
Spot on mate.
I remember watching us playing in a pub in Belfast,after the 12th parade.

For all the discontent and rumblings in our support at the minute

We need to remember this is the sort of level we were scratching around in a few short years ago

We ain't doing too bad these days

No, it wasn't it was worse than this - it was the Europa League qualifiers and we had to win two qualifying rounds before we reached the stage where we would draw the likes of Maribor. I remember at the time thinking Maribor in the third round was a step up in class from the first two and might be beyond us and that there was practically no chance of making it through 4 qualifying rounds.

When we took the field for Gerrard's first qualifier, we were ranked joint-262th in Europe. On the live rankings just now were are 29th.

Vikingur equalise against Malmo but their scorer Ingason gets a second yellow for some nonsense after the goal.

Vikingur equalise against Malmo but their scorer Ingason gets a second yellow for some nonsense after the goal.

He'd been booked for diving earlier and the Malmo fans had been boo-ing. Scored the equalizer, walked towards the Malmo end with his finger on his lips telling them to shut up. Kicked off a bit of handbags too. What a knob.

2-1 Malmo now.

2-1 to Malmo, good header by Toivenen.
Was highly rated when he played against us for PSV but didn't really go on to have the career expected. Same with Miguel Veloso who played against us in the round previous for Sporting.

Not seeing any games tonight but got my first coupon of the season on.

No, it wasn't it was worse than this - it was the Europa League qualifiers and we had to win two qualifying rounds before we reached the stage where we would draw the likes of Maribor. I remember at the time thinking Maribor in the third round was a step up in class from the first two and might be beyond us and that there was practically no chance of making it through 4 qualifying rounds.

When we took the field for Gerrard's first qualifier, we were ranked joint-262th in Europe. On the live rankings just now were are 29th.
I know it wasn't CL it was EL
I just was making the point that's the level where we were at in Europe not too long ago

The turnaround has been tremendous and long may it continue and for all the gripes and moans at present ,we really shouldn't forget how far we have come.

Some amount of names we've played in the recent past across the CL and Conference qualifying (and EL group in Poznan's case):

Malmo
Lech Poznan
Shkupi
Lincoln Red Imps
St Josephs

No disrespect to those sides but glad to be not be involved at this stage now.

The first qualifying round of the Champions league kicks off tonight, with a few decent teams amongst the minnows such as Ferencvaros, Quarabag, Malmo, Lech Poznan, HJK Helsinki, Slovan Bratislava and Maribor and there's an all British tie with Linfield away to Welsh champions TNS in the first leg.
Yeah some big names but to be truthful UEFA are only interested in teams from Germany, Italy,Spain,England and France.
They want all so called smaller teams knocked out as soon as possible..

Yeah some big names but to be truthful UEFA are only interested in teams from Germany, Italy,Spain,England and France.
They want all so called smaller teams knocked out as soon as possible..
Couldn't agree more which is why our performance in Europe last season was near miraculous.

Last edited:
Fancy Linfield strongly to go through against TNS next week after watching a good bit of the game earlier

Another day of games today, Slovan Bratislava (Vladimir Weiss and his dad) v Dinamo Batumi on now.

Early rounds of the champions league are educational. I now know Batumi is in Georgia.

Back