Champions League Qualification

The difference between winning and losing last night means Celtic can bank on the CL cash and strengthen. We have to gamble that we get through. Only consolation is we may have a few player sales that will get us reasonable replacements,
We’ve made more this season from the EL run than we would have made from the CL group stages.

Finances should not be a concern.

56 is priority to me now to be honest
We need CL money mate, no getting away from it. Money made this season will help, but CL money will take the club to a new level on and off the park. For #56 to happen, it's going to take good recruitment and finances. Don't underestimate how big a player turnover we're about to face in the coming months.

In the 3rd round the seeded teams will likely be, in order, Benfica (61-27th), Rangers (50.250-33rd), Dynamo Kiev and Marseille (both 44-39th and 38th). We would each play one of PSV (33-50th), Midtylland (19-87th)as both would have guaranteed unseeded places as it stands due to coefficient rankings, or the winners of the ties between Sturm Graz (7.770-151st), Union (5.93-210th), Fenerbahce (14.5-107th) and Apoel (18-91st).

In the qualifying round if all the top seeds go through it would be us or Benfica vs Marsielle or Dynamo Kiev which would obviously be a fair bit tougher. It's rare that all top seeds qualify though. Whether Benfica win or not we couldn't face their opponent either as they'd take the seeding spot in qualifying if they knocked Benfica out.

Irrelevant of which round we lost, if that were to happen, we are guaranteed Europa League group stage participation at a minimum as we are on the league path and not the champions path, unlike this season, which is how Celtic (33-51st so would have been unseeded for any lurkers looking in) secured their spot.

Edited to include coefficient points and rankings

Financially this has been a superb season for Rangers.
With just under £15m in prize money ,around £10-12m in gate money ,and the player sale of Paterson and Gerrard compensation at around £16m and rising .
Dont know how the TV money is distributed from UEFA ,but this must be a sizeable amount out of the €140m share.
So all told a total of around £45m ,not accountable at the start of the season ,should see us push on.
Hope the management get a fair share to spend.
Onwards and upwards.

Seeing we still have CL qualification and starting at 3rd round the teams we are likely to draw

PSV Eindhoven
Marseille
Strum Graz
Union Saint-Gilloise
Midjytlland

These 2 teams currently with there league positions
APOEL Nicosia
Fernerbahce

If we get through the whole qualification process we could possibly be ranked a pot above that lot.

avoid PSV and marseille i'll be happy.

Would be more than confident/expecting us to beat any of them.

Hopefully the guarantee of EL income at least means we have a bigger budget than normal at the very start of the window.

PSV, Graz, US Gilloise or Midjyttland are the 4 likely opponents for 3rd rd
PSV are likely to be the 4th seeds so the 3rd qualifying round should be ok, playoffs will be really tough - could be something like:-

Seeds
Benfica
Rangers

Unseeded
Dynamo Kiev
PSV

Consolation is if we lose that we go into Pot 1 of Europa League Group Stages!

Our issue has always been, not the competition we face but, the fact we are so early in the season, so it can be a total lottery when it comes to performance.

PSV are likely to be the 4th seeds so the 3rd qualifying round should be ok, playoffs will be really tough - could be something like:-

Seeds
Benfica
Rangers

Unseeded
Dynamo Kiev
PSV

Us and Benfica are guaranteed seeds, as are Kiev if they win their qualifier. Marseille are currently in line for the next spot if their league position stays the same so would take the 4th seeded spot as they have the same coefficient points as Kiev. As it stands, PSV would be unseeded unless Kiev were knocked out in the previous round.

The difference between winning and losing last night means Celtic can bank on the CL cash and strengthen. We have to gamble that we get through. Only consolation is we may have a few player sales that will get us reasonable replacements,
We are guaranteed Europa League are we not and can bank on that at least on top of everything we made this year.

Hope we get the 2nd legs in both qualifiers at Ibrox. None of those teams will fancy themselves coming to Ibrox after our European performances this season.

heard Jim White saying Ross Wilson was in a meeting with top agent yesterday afternoon
Very weird you post this.

My taxi from the airport this morning said that he picked up an agent the other day (Dutch) who was dealing with Rangers about something, and he was going to Seville as well.

Not sure how accurate or genuine though.

Seeds
Benfica
Rangers

Unseeded
Dynamo Kiev
PSV

We really need to break into the champions league for pure financal reasons,if we take some beatings it wouldnt bother me so much just get in is the key.
Still cant believe we handed it to they rhats on a plate unreal.

This is priority no.1.

But recruitment is key. Needs to be correct, decisive and done quickly.

Ironic thing is though the Europa League is our teams level in terms of competing in my view. But obv the money element of the CL is also key. Flipside is the coefficient points we have gained for ourselves could take a battering.

Hopefully after the exposure we have had worldwide, plenty of players will fancy coming, certainly should help with recruitment.

This is priority no.1.

But recruitment is key. Needs to be correct, decisive and done quickly.

Ironic thing is though the Europa League is our teams level in terms of competing in my view. But obv the money element of the CL is also key. Flipside is the coefficient points we have gained for ourselves could take a battering.
Yes and no. Liepzig CL semi finalists 2 seasons ago, we knocked them out. Villareal CL semi finalists this season, drew away beat them at home. Benfica (quarter finalists this season?), drew both legs. Porto (knockouts last season), you get the picture. The top teams like Liverpool, Bayern etc, ok, I'll give you that but we could still be competitive against the rest no question.

Yes and no. Liepzig CL semi finalists 2 seasons ago, we knocked them out. Villareal CL semi finalists this season, drew away beat them at home. Benfica (quarter finalists this season?), drew both legs. Porto (knockouts last season), you get the picture. The top teams like Liverpool, Bayern etc, ok, I'll give you that but we could still be competitive against the rest no question.
You are correct, but just because I am a pedant - we drew with Villarreal twice.

Of course mate. Meaning more just from a view of trying to secure a European trophy.

Best I suppose would be try get the 3rd spot to drop into the Europa League. Reality is the top 2 positions would be dominated by the elite just because its how the big wigs at Uefa have set it up.

Think I'm correct in saying we are guaranteed Europa League again anyways as if we lose the 3rd round in the non champions path we drop straight into the groups. Possibly a pot 2 side?

Difficult but achievable... if they were happening now

We are likely to have a radically different side by the time these qualifiers roll around.

Of course mate. Meaning more just from a view of trying to secure a European trophy.

Best I suppose would be try get the 3rd spot to drop into the Europa League. Reality is the top 2 positions would be dominated by the elite just because its how the big wigs at Uefa have set it up.

Think I'm correct in saying we are guaranteed Europa League again anyways as if we lose the 3rd round in the non champions path we drop straight into the groups. Possibly a pot 2 side?
Pot 1.

What does that even mean lol

You hinting we should rest players or not take it serious due to playing a team like motherwell on the saturday.

Champions league is priority.
100% this! I realised the last few months how little I actually care about this backwater league. We’re a much bigger team and are miles ahead of them in Europe. If we qualify for CL I don’t care what that mob does.

After bad results new members tend to start threads and have a lot to say for themselves.
12 hours after a hammer blow and your waffling on about how we have to qualify for the CL next season.
Your for the watching.
Ohh it’s a new username thing is it. Right next time sure I’ll get your approval 1st on any threads and make sure they aren’t after any big games

Absolute balloon

Back