Champions League Qualifiers - Details here

cloodie

Official Ticketer
I replied to another thread giving these details but it's probably worth a thread of it's own rather than being buried in another one.

8242df9b1a94070e83279b702903c271.jpg

From this well known twitter account

It's probably been asked but how does the loser of QF3 drop straight into the EL group stage? Was it not the EL playoff previously?

It's probably been asked but how does the loser of QF3 drop straight into the EL group stage? Was it not the EL playoff previously?

In the League Route, the loser of QR3 drops into the group stages of the EL.

In the Champions Route, the loser of QR3 drops into the PO round of the EL.

In both routes, the PO round losers drop into the EL group stage.

Not sure what it was previously but we'll take it.

Not that we'll need it though :p

There's a huge rebuilding job on the cards at PSV this close season. Do they even have a replacement manager for Schmidt yet?

Edit — just Googled and it's Ruud Van Nistelrooy! Class.

Without being rude it could have been a lot worse. Some really tough potential games. But with a Home Game and our crowd, any of those teams could crumble. Maybe last year was different as the Team started so slowly in the season. We need to get some people in quick.

It says on the tweet the the draws have not taken place
It hasn’t, but we know who we can play.

The draw doesn’t really impact us in that regard, there’s only 8 teams in our section 6 of them are already known and with their seeding we know who we can play.

So in QR3 we will play either:

Monaco
Winner of tie involving Midtjylland vs Fenerbahce or AEK Larnaca (draw made on 15th June)
Sturm Graz
Or
Union Saint-Gilloise

There's a huge rebuilding job on the cards at PSV this close season. Do they even have a replacement manager for Schmidt yet?

Have they already lost several players or is this just something you’re suggesting that you’re anticipating?

Kiev is the big if really

If they can't take part or are forced to playing elsewhere you have situation monoco would move up to seeded team

That gives potential for at least one really winnable game for in the play off round

Last edited:
It hasn’t, but we know who we can play.

The draw doesn’t really impact us in that regard, there’s only 8 teams in our section 6 of them are already known and with their seeding we know who we can play.

So in QR3 we will play either:

Monaco
Winner of tie involving Midtjylland vs Fenerbahce or AEK Larnaca (draw made on 15th June)
Sturm Graz
Or
Union Saint-Gilloise
Thanks

Kiev is the big if really

If they can't take part or are stagecoach playing elsewhere you have situation monocoque would move up to seeded

That gives potential for at least one really winnable for in the po round
Who?

Avoid Monaco first and PSV last, and I think we’re there.

Worth noting:

PSV’s manager has just moved to Benfica. Qualifiers will be Ruud van Nistelrooy’s first games as a manager.

Kiev haven’t played a competitive game since December and their squad is entirely made up of Ukrainians.

Union Saint-Gilloise have a capacity of 9k and 2 of their defenders are English - signed from MK Dons and Pompey.

Worth noting:

PSV’s manager has just moved to Benfica. Qualifiers will be Ruud van Nistelrooy’s first games as a manager.

Kiev haven’t played a competitive game since December and their squad is entirely made up of Ukrainians.

Union Saint-Gilloise have a capacity of 9k and 2 of their defenders are English - signed from MK Dons and Pompey.

We must get business done early.
No getting caught cold a la Malmo.
A terrific chance if we prepare properly.

Are the dates correct? Can we only play on the Tuesday?
No

QR3

1st leg Tuesday 2nd or Wednesday 3rd August
2nd leg Tuesday 9th August - all games that day

Play-off round

Tuesday 16th August 1st leg & Wednesday 24th August 2nd leg
or
Wednesday 17th August 1st leg & Tuesday 23rd August 2nd leg

UEFA will set the play-off round dates themselves

No

QR3

1st leg Tuesday 2nd or Wednesday 3rd August
2nd leg Tuesday 9th August - all games that day

Play-off round

Tuesday 16th August 1st leg & Wednesday 24th August 2nd leg
or
Wednesday 17th August 1st leg & Tuesday 23rd August 2nd leg

UEFA will set the play-off round dates themselves
Is it confirmed if seeded team away 1st leg & home 2nd leg? Or dependent on draw?

Didn't know that, that's encouraging. They seem to be strong at the moment.

Just luck of the draw if home or away 1st

Only rounds that have fixed legs is the knockout round once the group stage has passed

Round of 16 for CL

1st Knockout & Round of 16 for EL & ECL
Any idea when a decision will be made on Kievs participation? And if they don’t play will Monaco move to be seeded in R3?

Worth noting:

We willget Monaco, nothing surer.

Any idea when a decision will be made on Kievs participation? And if they don’t play will Monaco move to be seeded in R3?
I guess it will be down to both clubs whether they take part of not

If Dynamo Kiev withdraw before the QR2 they will rebalance the access list if do it after it then who they are due play will be given a bye if before QR3 draw then yes Monaco would move I would think

The second qualifying round is a bit misleading in that graphic as it would appear to suggest Kiev have drawn Fenerbahce and Midjtylland have drawn AEK Larnaca. That’s not the case. Kiev can draw either Fenerbahce OR AEK Larnaca and Midjtylland can draw either of Fenerbahce/AEK Larnaca.

The other sections are headed Seeded and Unseeded - but not that one, and it should be.

Good news regarding UEL.

This is more challenging than last year's path I would say, but in Europe we are much better. We certainly can achieve this hope the lads get it done!

I think most, like me, won’t know too much about Union Saint-Gilloise - or, to give them their full name, Royale Union Saint-Gilloise. So I went looking. It’s quite a story.

Got promoted, via the play-offs, to the Belgian top flight in Summer 2021. Their first stint in the top flight in 48 years. Incredibly, they then finished at the top of the top flight at the end of the regular season.o_O Sadly, for them, the Belgian League has a play-off system/Championship Round in place and, at the end of the play-offs they finished second and thus go into the Champions League Qualifying Rounds.

Their ultras are knows as the Union Bhoys.:eek:

Tony Bloom, Chairman and majority owner of Brighton, also owns 75% of Union SG.

According to Wiki at least.

I think most, like me, won’t know too much about Union Saint-Gilloise - or, to give them their full name, Royale Union Saint-Gilloise. So I went looking. It’s quite a story.

Got promoted, via the play-offs, to the Belgian top flight in Summer 2021. Their first stint in the top flight in 48 years. Incredibly, they then finished at the top of the top flight at the end of the regular season.o_O Sadly, for them, the Belgian League has a play-off system/Championship Round in place and, at the end of the play-offs they finished second and thus go into the Champions League Qualifying Rounds.

Genuinely had never heard of them before until mentioned on here the other day. Wild one. Thought Anderlecht were the only "serious" Brussels club.

I’ll be really surprised if they can use that Stadium, went there a few years back in 2019. Only cost 8 euros to get in. They blew it losing 2 matches to Club Brugge in a row.

Back