Champion's League seeding/qualification

the_ref

Official Ticketer
Apologies if I've missed this, if not, I'm sure this thread will be repeated again until next season.

I was having a look at Bert Kassies site for CL seeding - https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedcl2021.html

Key piece is this -
HTML:
(unseeded < 28.000, seeded > 31.250)

Unknown                        coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------
Glasgow Rangers          Sco  31.250
Ludogorets Razgrad *     Bul  28.000
CH                       Den   5.575 - 43.500

CL-Q2 **                      16.500 - 44.500
CL-Q2 **                      13.500 - 21.000
CL-Q2 **                       9.000 - 21.000
CL-Q2 **                       6.500 - 20.500

Seeded clubs                   coef.             Unseeded clubs                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------    ------------------------ --- ----------------
Slavia Praha **          Cze  43.500             .
Olympiakos Piraeus *     Gre  43.000             .
Young Boys **            Sui  35.000             .
Red Star Belgrade *      Srb  32.500             .
.                                                .
.                                                Malmö FF *               Swe  18.500

I'm reading from that there are 2 seeded slots still left in the 3Q.

If the Champions of Denmark and Croatia end up having a higher co-eff than us, and make it through to the 3rd qualifying round, we drop to unseeded.

If either of those Champions are lower co-eff than us, OR a higher co-eff team gets knocked out, we'll be seeded for 3Q.

Is that a correct interpretation of it?
Much as it would be nice to do Slavia over, I'd rather avoid them in that round.

If Copenhagen and Dinamo Zagreb win their respective leagues and all top seeds win in QR2 then we’ll not be seeded in QR3.

Currently, Midtjylland are eight points clear of Copenhagen with four games to play.

If what I've said is correct, the following would be the case -

in Denmark, only FC København have a higher coefficient than us. they are currently 3rd, a fair few points behind.

In Croatia, only Dinamo Zagreb have a higher co-eff. They look like they are going to win their league comfortably. However, they also enter CL at 1st qualifier.

If Copenhagen and Dinamo Zagreb win their respective leagues and all top seeds win in QR2 then we’ll not be seeded in QR3.

Currently, Midtjylland are eight points clear of Copenhagen with four games to play.
good, glad I've read that right. I thought when it was last discussed a month ago we had little chance of seeding. this sounds quite promising.

It also looks like still a slim chance for seeding in Play off round, though less likely.

would the winning of the champions league and europa league by the Manchester clubs help us anyway?
I'm sure I read previously that if the champions league winners won their domestic league that it would give us an automatic place in the group stages.
Not sure what happens if utd win the europa, they have already qualified for the champions league.

would the winning of the champions league and europa league by the Manchester clubs help us anyway?
I'm sure I read previously that if the champions league winners won their domestic league that it would give us an automatic place in the group stages.
Not sure what happens if utd win the europa, they have already qualified for the champions league.
There are no circumstances where we get an automatic group place this season.

good, glad I've read that right. I thought when it was last discussed a month ago we had little chance of seeding. this sounds quite promising.

It also looks like still a slim chance for seeding in Play off round, though less likely.

Need 3 of the 5 above us in Q3 to be eliminated. 4 of those 5 go in at least one round earlier than us.

Not impossible. Be interesting anyway.

Apologies if I've missed this, if not, I'm sure this thread will be repeated again until next season.

I was having a look at Bert Kassies site for CL seeding - https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedcl2021.html

Key piece is this -
HTML:

Seeded clubs                   coef.             Unseeded clubs                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------    ------------------------ --- ----------------
.                                                Malmö FF *               Swe  18.500

If the Champions of Denmark and Croatia end up having a higher co-eff than us, and make it through to the 3rd qualifying round, we drop to unseeded.

If either of those Champions are lower co-eff than us, OR a higher co-eff team gets knocked out, we'll be seeded for 3Q.

Much as it would be nice to do Slavia over, I'd rather avoid them in that round.
That's really annoying becuase 16.5 points was the lowest Q3 seed this season.

What does all that mean ? So basically to me it looks like we have two very hard rounds to get past to gain entry . Very difficult

What does all that mean ? So basically to me it looks like we have two very hard rounds to get past to gain entry . Very difficult
To me, it means we should have a slightly "easier" first set of matches, then should we progress to the playoff round it will be much harder.

It's the CL. Was unlikely it'd be easy.

In Q3 we'll likely play 1 of Ludogrets, Qarabag, Malmo, Cluj, Legia or FC Sheriff.

Win that and in Q4 we play 1 of Salzburg, Zagreb, Olympiakos or Slavia.

Salzburg are the only side there that I'd be overly wary of.

We are better than Slavia. They got us when our form had wobbled.

We will already have an automatic place when we win the league anyway ;)
We don't its highly likely we will get the automatic place which is dependent on champions league winners winning their own domestic league. This is because Scotland is 11th in the coefficient where as its the top 10 than has guaranteed automatic places. With an automatic place going to champions of league in 11th coefficient standings if the champions league winners win their own domestic league

We don't its highly likely we will get the automatic place which is dependent on champions league winners winning their own domestic league. This is because Scotland is 11th in the coefficient where as its the top 10 than has guaranteed automatic places. With an automatic place going to champions of league in 11th coefficient standings if the champions league winners win their own domestic league
Well that along with the Craig Whyte thread has firmly pissed in my frosties this morning

They don't need to win their domestic league, merely finish in the CL places (ie Top 4 in England, Spain, Germany or Italy).

Wouldn't the CL winners only have to qualify for the CL through their domestic league rather than winning the league?

Seems to be a lot of over confidence about CL qualification due to how we have done in EL qualifiers but this is a big step up.

People should prepare themselves that we could very well be EL again next season.

2008 Redux with a twist. This time a double disappointment in Q4 of CL and the Group Stages of the EL....

…only for us to go on and lift our 2nd major European Honour 50 years after our first on our 150th Anniversary.

Bookmark it. We're going to The Tirana.

They don't need to win their domestic league, merely finish in the CL places (ie Top 4 in England, Spain, Germany or Italy).
They don't but our automatic qualification is dependent on the winners of the champions league wins their own domestic league. This was already confirmed by UEFA for winners of league in 11th place in coefficient.

Salzburg are the only side there that I'd be overly wary of.

We are better than Slavia. They got us when our form had wobbled.
Hmm. Olympiacos are on fire. Currently on 83 points, second place are on 61. They also did very well in the Europa League, going out narrowly to Arsenal after beating them away. Remember they have had Champions League group stage money two seasons in a row.

Dinamo Zagreb are always strong and just put out Spurs and only narrowly got put out by a very strong Villareal side who have one foot in the final.

As things stand, we are underdogs against any of those teams, but I would fancy Slavia to be the weaker of the 4 after a summer transfer window which likely won't work in their favour.

They don't but our automatic qualification is dependent on the winners of the champions league wins their own domestic league. This was already confirmed by UEFA for winners of league in 11th place in coefficient.
No that's not right. The winner of the CL only needs to qualify for the CL via their league placing. They don't need to win their league.

By the looks of it is there a possibility that if we were unseeded we would get Slavia Prague? Fans back in the stadium and that would be bedlam.

No that's not right. The winner of the CL only needs to qualify for the CL via their league placing. They don't need to win their league.
I'm obviously reading something different from you. But anyway as it stands either way automatic qualification depends on the winners of next seasons champions league

Its down to the luck of the draw. Shame fc had 3 reasonable draws in last 3 years, and made an erse of it. EAK Athens,Cluj and Ferancvaros were all winnable ties.

That data hasn’t included champions of Denmark until the Play off round. Denmark champions enter before then.

The data makes an assumption that the CL winner will qualify via their domestic league (Chelsea are currently 4th with a 5 point lead) which bumps the Danish champions from QR3 to QR4 and guarantees us seeding in QR3.

For seeding in the play offs we'd require 3 of the 5 sides seeded above us to be knocked out (Red Star, Young Boys, Slavia Prague, Olympiakos & Dinamo Zagreb).

Dinamo Zagreb enter QR1
Olympiakos, Young Boys & Red Star enter QR2
Slavia Prague enter QR3 like ourselves.

Key piece is this -
HTML:

All looks too much of a dog's dinner to even think about. Reckon I'll just wait for the draw and think about it then. We will get whoever we get.

Its down to the luck of the draw. Shame fc had 3 reasonable draws in last 3 years, and made an erse of it. EAK Athens,Cluj and Ferancvaros were all winnable ties.

Ferenvacos eliminated celtic at Q2 this season, that's a round earlier than we enter next season.

I know they're not the force they once were but Olympiacos always give me the fear

Would be a good test for us. A club that regularly qualify for the CL but don't really offer much once in it. Would be a good tie to see what level we are at.

Just brings it home how valuable winning the league is next season to avoid this process.

We'll do very well to qualify this summer IMO, some very good teams in the play-off round.

Hmm. Olympiacos are on fire. Currently on 83 points, second place are on 61. They also did very well in the Europa League, going out narrowly to Arsenal after beating them away. Remember they have had Champions League group stage money two seasons in a row.

Dinamo Zagreb are always strong and just put out Spurs and only narrowly got put out by a very strong Villareal side who have one foot in the final.

As things stand, we are underdogs against any of those teams, but I would fancy Slavia to be the weaker of the 4 after a summer transfer window which likely won't work in their favour.
They are a very decent side, I've watched them a few times in the CL and Europa recently. But I'd rate Benfica above them. Whoever we get will present a huge test.

Mon the midgieland!

as for season 22/23, we’ll be in the group stages by March
:shh:

Back