Change of narrative for Alfredo? 6 group goals

Southside_shug

Rather than the 14 Euro goals this season.

Heard it a couple of time during commentary last night.

Are they trying to dumb down El Buffalo's achievement so far this season?

While it is still 14 competitive goals, for records etc and goalscoring charts I think they only count from the Group Stage.

To compare with everyone else it's a bit disingenuous to include those goals though.

& a wee bit poety tbh.

Feck man, he scored the goals, why shouldn’t we count them. We need to big ourselves up where possible, no other chunt will do it for us.

I know Alfie has played more games than some but he’s averaging a goal a game. No bad going eh?

And less of the ‘poety’ digs if you don’t mind.:)

6 games 6 goals.

They’re really trying to talk him down ffs

Snakes with microphones

Richard Gordon was doing his usual on the BBC Scotland podcast, saying how Morelos has stormed up the tunnel in a huff after not getting the pass in the final breakaway, and that he normally has a scowl on his face.
Focus on the positive, Dick.

To be honest...6 goals in 6 games and topping the charts is a fantastic achievement in it's own right. The additional 8 scored in the qualifying rounds is a bonus and shows his caliber. Pay no attention to any Anti Rangers media types.

Is it not as much that it’s a goal a game. Impressive record and for the OCD freaks amongst us it has a lovely look to it.

It’s a different narrative, yes.

But there are teams who qualified straight in to the groups and Alfredo has scored more than them!

So whilst it’s a different narrative, it’s still a positive one.

Regardless, the ‘top scorer’ of the EL award is only given for goals in the main competition.

Feck man, he scored the goals, why shouldn’t we count them. We need to big ourselves up where possible, no other chunt will do it for us.

I know Alfie has played more games than some but he’s averaging a goal a game. No bad going eh?

Fair comment with the poety comment. I apologise. It just reminded me of Dembeles scoring claims when most were penalties.

Back to the point: It's obviously still a tremendous record but to complain about them being fair with a comparison table isn't really worth bothering about. Especially when he's still top anyway. :)) Anyone looking to make a purchase will be well aware how many he's scored/minute.

You could only consider that an agenda when it did him no justice.

Thing is, it still leaves him as top scorer.

Anyone can score meaningless goals, particularly when the bigger teams smash the cannon fodder of the groups. Alfredos goals for us tho have all been crucial. He knows we rely on him, and his shoulders are broad enough to carry it.
Last night - Goal that took us through
V Porto Away - crucial away point
V Porto Home - Killed Porto pressure. 3pts
V Feyenord Away - Crucial away point
V YB Away - Should have got us an away point

If you go onto the UEFA website, they've got him down for 6. Would seem unfair on the other players from teams that didn't need to qualify if he got credit for the qualifying goals when they didn't have the opportunity to play in the qualifers.

I love the guy.

Richard Gordon was doing his usual on the BBC Scotland podcast, saying how Morelos has stormed up the tunnel in a huff after not getting the pass in the final breakaway, and that he normally has a scowl on his face.
Focus on the positive, Dick.
Gordon is a moron.

Should count it is not our choice to play qualifiers and those that dont need to play qualifiers are compensated with less games and a later guaranteed qualification entry!

Should count it is not our choice to play qualifiers and those that dont need to play qualifiers are compensated with less games and a later guaranteed qualification entry!

Does the top scorer in the world cup have their goal in qualifying count? No because its kit the tournament proper

The media attack us all ways but I'm afraid this isn't one of them

Fair comment with the poety comment. I apologise. It just reminded me of Dembeles scoring claims when most were penalties.

Back to the point: It's obviously still a tremendous record but to complain about them being fair with a comparison table isn't really worth bothering about. Especially when he's still top anyway. :)) Anyone looking to make a purchase will be well aware how many he's scored/minute.
It's not the same competition though?
Larsson scored 3 of his in a 10-1 pumping in the first round for example.
Is that more, or less valid than goals v midtjylland and Vienna?

It's a relevant comparison in terms of the stage of the tournament. 6 goals in 6 group games is also an astounding achievement.

Rather than the 14 Euro goals this season.

Heard it a couple of time during commentary last night.

Are they trying to dumb down El Buffalo's achievement so far this season?
Yes, however, this also means that Cosgrove has never managed to score a goal in European competition.
Said no member of the Scottish press ever.

It's not the same competition though?
Larsson scored 3 of his in a 10-1 pumping in the first round for example.
Is that more, or less valid than goals v midtjylland and Vienna?
I find it risible when a comparison of Alfie is made to Larsson.
Larsson joined The Filth as a mature twenty-seven-year-old internationalist.
There is little valid comparisons of their time in Scottish football worth making.

Further, I don't think Larsson had managed to score a single goal in European competition at Alfie's age.

Does the top scorer in the world cup have their goal in qualifying count? No because its kit the tournament proper

The media attack us all ways but I'm afraid this isn't one of them

It is part of the tournament albeit the tail end the point is more about the system when in days gone by to make European tournaments you had to win leagues or a cup! They dont count and there is nothing I can do about that as much as my opinion is what it is!

I find it risible when a comparison of Alfie is made to Larsson.
Larsson joined The Filth as a mature twenty-seven-year-old internationalist.
There is little valid comparisons of their time in Scottish football worth making.

Further, I don't think Larsson had managed to score a single goal in European competition at Alfie's age.
BUt, but, but, if Larry and Lubo had been 10 years younger they'd be playing for Real or Barca.

In the Europa League and champions League, qualifying goals don't count towards the goalscoring charts, it is only group stage goals. It's why Alfie wasn't the top goalscorer in the Europa League until the Feyernord game. It's nothing anti rangers, it's just the way it is.
Larsson's record was only about 8 in 8 when qualifying was taken out.

I'd also point out scoring 6 in 6 Europa League group stage games looks better than including the qualifying record. The poets and the media like to say aww, he's scoring against pub teams to boost his record. They can't make that claim when it is against quality opposition, especially when their french wonder Bhoy is a goalscoring failure in the Europa League group stages (3 in 10).

It’s a different narrative, yes.

But there are teams who qualified straight in to the groups and Alfredo has scored more than them!

So whilst it’s a different narrative, it’s still a positive one.

Regardless, the ‘top scorer’ of the EL award is only given for goals in the main competition.

This! The goals before the group stages weren't Europa League goals per se. They were qualifying goals.

We are now in the next stage and players are being compared to the other 31 clubs. 6 from 6 is good.

Does it matter? Even if you just talk about the 6 to keep it fairer in respect of comparisons with other strikers who didn’t play qualifiers, he’s still the top scorer and still did it in the group of death, still netted 5 games on the spin. There was no cannon fodder in our group so no hat-trick against some obscure dross side to pad his stats.

What he’s done is phenomenal, absolutely proud of him and hope he’s proud of himself, he really should be but the fact his first thought was to offer an (unnecessary) apology to the fans says a lot about the guy. Love him.

Back