Changes for Motherwell

What's the point of having a squad then ?

The point of the squad is rotation, bringing in players to replace first team players. Polster isnt good enough to make the squad just now so to bring him in from nowhere is crazy.

If it was a early round cup game yeah maybe but not against an in form motherwell.

We dropped way too many points last December, drawing away to Hibs and Dundee, whilst losing to Sheep and drawing with Hibs at Ibrox. We cannot afford to be as poor this season but with only one win, away to Hamilton, in our last 6 games our results, if not our performances, are a little worrying.

The points dropped at Tynecastle and Pittodrie have been scandalous. The two away games to come will see us face better opponents and opponents with a thirst to inflict some injuries upon us.

Reactions: Gee
We dropped way too many points last December, drawing away to Hibs and Dundee, whilst losing to Sheep and drawing with Hibs at Ibrox. We cannot afford to be as poor this season but with only one win, away to Hamilton, in our last 6 games our results, if not our performances, are a little worrying.

The points dropped at Tynecastle and Pittodrie have been scandalous. The two away games to come will see us face better opponents and opponents with a thirst to inflict some injuries upon us.

You’ve forgotten the 5-0 victory over Hearts mate - 4 games ago.

Tough schedule and we need to be on top of things for sure. Can’t afford any more dropped points this year.

They should be fine come Sunday strongest team possible and then a few days rest before Hibs

The biggest worry for sunday is getting kicked of the park by these thugs and the ref allowing it, sure i saw that the ref for sunday is that prick that was the ref against Hearts a couple of weeks ago.
Ladbrokes Premiership - Saturday
Aberdeen v Hamilton Academical - William Collum
Heart of Midlothian v St Johnstone - Alan Newlands
Ross County v Kilmarnock - Alan Muir
St Mirren v Livingston - Nick Walsh

Ladbrokes Premiership - Sunday
Celtic v Hibernian - John Beaton
Motherwell v Rangers - Don Robertson (Sky Sports, 12 noon)

Needs to start with his strongest 11. Rest players if we get in a comfortable position.
Fannying about with the team in a tough away fixture will cost us points and ultimately the league.

Prroblem here is we really need the win and we dont have a dearth of attacking midfield and striking options. Perhaps rest Kamara, Kent, Morelos and give Davis, Ojo and Defoe a start. Jack could maybe do with a rest but he's become a pivitiol part of the team and as we saw just recently, we miss him when hes out the side. You could maybe sit out Tav or Barasic as well, but not both as the only full back replacements are Flanigan and Halliday and neither of those are particularly strong down the flank and if you're resting Kent that leaves you without any width in attack
Are you mad!!!! We can’t rest anyone this game on Sunday is more important than last night !!! Btw Davis is injured We can’t rest Tav or Borna as your suggestion of Flanagan and Hallliday replacing them would be suicidal and certain points dropped Defoe isn’t good enough to start games up front on his own he is more effective coming off bench or starting games at home against the bottom 3 or 4 clubs we will probably make a couple of changes likely to be OJo and maybe Stewart starting for Arfield and Kent

McGregor

Tav Goldson Katic Barisic

King Jack Kamara

Stewart Defoe Ojo

Subs
Fod
Flanagan
Edmundson
Arfield
Jones
Kent
Morelos

Kill the game off early, get Jack off for Edmundson after an hour. Get Jones 20 mins. Give Morelos the last 10 mins to keep him happy.
King????? Why? Have you seen him play?

Jones, Ojo and Stewart could potentially come in and play some part. Edmundson as well.
Good thing is we have 5 days free after this one, would be more of a problem if we had a Wednesday game as well.

McGregor

Tav Goldson Katic Barisic

King Jack Kamara

Stewart Defoe Ojo

Subs
Fod
Flanagan
Edmundson
Arfield
Jones
Kent
Morelos

Kill the game off early, get Jack off for Edmundson after an hour. Get Jones 20 mins. Give Morelos the last 10 mins to keep him happy.

Ojo would be nowhere near my starting 11.

Mcgregor

Tavernier Goldson Katic Barisic

Jack Kamara Aribo

Stewart Morelos Kent

Would have thought off more changes if we had a game next Wednesday to be honest.

I’d 100% start Alfie.

Anytime we’ve done so with Defoe up top we’ve tended to struggle and Motherwell is likely to be a bit of a struggle.

Double-down on restoration techniques (sound nutrition, supplementation [esp. whey protein, aminos, glutamine, ZMA], massage, sleep) and go with the strongest available.

Last edited:
Are you mad!!!! We can’t rest anyone this game on Sunday is more important than last night !!! Btw Davis is injured We can’t rest Tav or Borna as your suggestion of Flanagan and Hallliday replacing them would be suicidal and certain points dropped Defoe isn’t good enough to start games up front on his own he is more effective coming off bench or starting games at home against the bottom 3 or 4 clubs we will probably make a couple of changes likely to be OJo and maybe Stewart starting for Arfield and Kent
I didnt say we SHOULD replace Tav or Borna, I said they were two we had replacements for if the gaffer decided they need a rest. I'm with you here, re-read my first line

After sunday we have 5 days off. Big decision whether to start Defoe or alfie. Got a feeling defoe will start and leave alfie for his away

Not a chance the likes of Murphy, King or Docherty are starting a match like Sunday's.

Strongest team possible, must win game. Players then have five days until Hibs.

Could try Polster at defensive midfield. He was soild in there the last time he got asked. We need to some fresh legs
Are players such as Polster, King, Docherty, Murphy and even Edmundson just to cover for injuries? That's how it seems but it means the core First team players don't get a break. Most of these guys can't even get on the bench.

I might go with Flanagan at right back and give Tav a rest. Motherwell are a hard team and Flanagan is the hardest guy we have. Fight fire with fire. They won't want to mess around with a back 4 of Flanagan, Goldson, Katic and Borna.

I can't make my mind up on who plays up front.

Really worried Defoe is losing his match sharpness as he's had so few minutes recently, but Motherwell are on form and it feels right to play our best striker.

The real consequence of blowing that game in Aberdeen in which we came away with a draw when we really should have won - is that we are now 2 pts adrift of the bheasts with an upcoming OF game at parkhead. We cannot afford to drop further points against Motherwell and face the prospect of going into that game trailing by 4 or 5 points. If we do, and god forbid go on to lose, it would, to all intents and purposes, end our hopes of winning the league. 3pts tomorrow is therefore a MUST.

Back