Changes for Sunday v Killie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamara has been excellent recently but his ball control on plastic is poor. Not his fault but the ball bounces off him.

Jones a good option on paper but isn't focussed enough to play our system for 90.

Sunday massive and another reminder that spastic pitches shouldn't be anywhere near the top league.

Kamara has been excellent recently but his ball control on plastic is poor. Not his fault but the ball bounces off him.

Jones a good option on paper but isn't focussed enough to play our system for 90.

Sunday massive and another reminder that spastic pitches shouldn't be anywhere near the top league.
Got MOTM when we gubbed Hamilton in the cup on the plastic last season mate.

I think he's pretty decent on the plastic, as are Tav, Arfield, Kent and Morelos.

They all seem very comfortable with the surface.

Jones from the start on Sunday makes a lot of sense. He knows the park well and he has looked very promising in his few appearances recently.

I would take Kent out and put Jones in. Kent has been poor last few games and looks like he needs a wee break. He would be a great sub to bring on.

Dont really care who starts we should be beating killie regardless ,out the traps fast in there faces early goal win 3 -0 if we go cagey sit in the longer the game goes its just a matter of time before we get stung not slating last night but they way we played it was one of those ganes we coulda got stung we were no where near our best and gave them too much respect.

I understand the thinking behind Jones' familiarity with the pitch being an asset, but there's no way Kent isn't playing on Sunday, let's be honest here. The manager pretty much confirmed that when he referenced offloading some players ahead of Sunday - and Kent was one of those offloaded.

I'm also more inclined to see Aribo as one of the midfield 3, rather than as one of the front three - I think Aribo has more impact when he has more pitch in front of him. No qualms should he be played one up though.

Id have a front 3 of Barker, Morelos and Jones.
Kent on bench as needs a restas does Hagi us Jones knows the pitch.
Maybe try Zungu in a 3 with 2 from Kamara, Jack and Arfield. Rest Davis
Would also go with Balogun over Helander and even maybe Bassey for Borna

The only man in the world that would have Barker in a Rangers starting line up.

Davis?

He was outstanding again last night, but we need to manage him carefully and not flog him to death.
Yes, most likely. Although I feel Jack and Kamara aren't as effective together rather than when one of them plays with Davis as they are very similar.

We definitely need to make sure we don't burn Davis out like last season though

Absolutely vital to get into a 2 goal lead on Sunday.

We’ve started games there well, then taken the foot off the pedal for some reason and ended up being caught.

Arfield could maybe do with a rest. I think McLuaghlin will get the goalie jersey. Don’t think Roofe will be risked on that surface or Jack for that matter. Does Zungu make his debut?

I don’t understand this ‘tired’ argument.

90 min twice a week shouldn’t be beyond super fit athletes.

Tennis players manage up to 5 hours every other day with no team mates to help.

And it’s amazing how much less tiring it is when you are winning.

I would go with:

McGregor

Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Bassey

Arfield, Davis, Kamara

Jones, Kent

Defoe/Morelos

Maybe I'm just fearful of the past but I don't want to risk Helander, Barisic, Roofe or Aribo on that pitch when they've already had injury spells this year.

Id have a front 3 of Barker, Morelos and Jones.
Kent on bench as needs a restas does Hagi us Jones knows the pitch.
Maybe try Zungu in a 3 with 2 from Kamara, Jack and Arfield. Rest Davis
Would also go with Balogun over Helander and even maybe Bassey for Borna
Jesus Christ, we’re playing a team at a venue we’ve struggled massively at. We’re not playing East fife in the cup.

Throwing Zungu into Sunday is never happening either.

I don’t get the ‘Jones will be used to the pitch’ so play him at Killie.

Our entire team knows what to expect at Killie now, no excuses. We just need to turn up and perform.

Kent's form has dropped off the last few games. If it wasn't Killie away next i would want him rested but need a player like him for these games. Kent, Aribo, Hagi and Kamara are all players who are good with the ball in tight situations so would have them all starting on Sunday along with Alfie back in the side. Defence picks itself so only position up for debate should be Davis or Jack
I was a strong advocate of picking Hagi last night but he would come out of my team for Sunday.

McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Arfield Jack Kamara
Aribo Kent
Morelos​

Expect us to have a lot of the ball and the task will be more about breaking them down rather than worrying too much about them. So, have McLaughlin and Helander instead of McGregor and Balogun as they’re better at playing out from the back.

Davis gets a rest, Arfield in midfield as we’re more attacking when he’s in there. Aribo because of his trickery and goal threat. Morelos because he’s still the best forward we have.

I think it’ll be a tough game and wouldn’t surprise me if 0-0 at half time and we need something from the bench. Roofe, Itten double substitution to change it.
This picking McLaughlin as he can play like Xavi from goals needs to stop.

Now he’s recovered from injury it is undeniable McGregor is our number 1. No one is scoring goals and winning games because the goalkeeper passes like Pirlo. It’s a wild idea that’s got out of control on here.

Thursday means nothing if we don’t collect all 3 points at Killie

Thursday is a fee hit v Benfica for me. 2 league wins and I don’t care about the europa game. (I do but it will take care of itself)

This picking McLaughlin as he can play like Xavi from goals needs to stop.

Now he’s recovered from injury it is undeniable McGregor is our number 1. No one is scoring goals and winning games because the goalkeeper passes like Pirlo. It’s a wild idea that’s got out of control on here.
It didn't stem from FF, I'd say it's more to do with top managers using GKs as starting point in passing patterns. Whether you like it or not it's a tactic our own manager employs, the keeper has to be comfortable on the ball nowadays and McLauglin is more comfortable than McGregor.

McGregor is undoubtedly the better keeper but if we're controlling games the way we are then McLauglin is the better option if it means we can make the pitch bigger and feel more comfortable leaving keeper to be pressed on the ball.

Teams are using their keeper to draw opposition onto them which leaves space further up the pitch and makes it easier to score.

Jones for Kent would be a big call, but given Jones success on the pitch, and Kent looking tired and frustrated, it might be one worth making.

It didn't stem from FF, I'd say it's more to do with top managers using GKs as starting point in passing patterns. Whether you like it or not it's a tactic our own manager employs, the keeper has to be comfortable on the ball nowadays and McLauglin is more comfortable than McGregor.

McGregor is undoubtedly the better keeper but if we're controlling games the way we are then McLauglin is the better option if it means we can make the pitch bigger and feel more comfortable leaving keeper to be pressed on the ball.

Teams are using their keeper to draw opposition onto them which leaves space further up the pitch and makes it easier to score.
The fact our manager picks AM every match he is fully fit appears to negate your point that JM “is the better option“ in these games.

If you are going to cite the manager for the implementation of the Pirlo-keeper strategy you must also concede that the fact the same manage always picks AM when fit suggests that fans on here are wildly overstating the importance of this tactic or JM’s superiority in executing it.

Cant have it both ways. Can’t cite the manager as the argument for employing this purported essential tactic, but then ignore the fact the manager prefers AM anyway.

Sightly surprised so many folk are wanting to see the Jack/Kamara pairing against an ultra defensive team... But I guess depends on how fit Davis will be.

If Roofe is completely over his injury, I'd move him into Hagi's role and bring Alfie, Helander and Aribo in. Can't wait to see both Aribo and Roofe playing together against one of these zero ambition teams
The Jack Kamara issue wasn’t the players. It was the tactics and strategy the manager employed.

You could see a clear difference in how Kamara played last night for example.

I feel it was the instructions rather than the personnel was the problem.

All I know is Morelos has to lead the line. Other than that it’s got to be our strongest line up. It depends how we start and how the game progresses though, if we score early and they actually come out I could see value in using Jones, but I’m sure Barker will somehow find his way onto the pitch first.

To be honest I can’t believe it’s gotten to a point where a trip to Rugby park almost feels as big a task as going away to a top CL side, but like it or not that ground has been a nightmare for us.

Would like to see Itten start instead of Hagi on the right.
Play Barker/Roofe instead of Kent to give him a rest.
Alfie in the middle.
Jack instead of Davis.
Maybe play Bassey and keep Borna fresh for Benfica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back