Changing formation during games

Roger Daltrey

Great performance tonight, although we had it won and almost made it difficult for ourselves- anyway this isnt a criticism of the management. Anyway, given w'eve got a lot of options in our squad, I would love to see us evolve a bit this season tactically - we never seem to change it too much during games... you could easily play 4321, 433, 4231, even 3 at the back, with the squad we have - I know its not easy to be well drilled in numerous positions but there's games when we'll really have to throw everything at it to break a team down for example, I'd like us to be more flexible during games. Particularly give the amount of winger / attacking mid type options we've got who wont usually start. The gaffer mixes up the team selection regularly but he doesnt like an early sub at all.

It’s not FIFA Roger. The gaffer must’ve been ecstatic at 3-0. Before he had time to get his point over its 3-1. Tonight was a crazy game and I’m sure there will be a few more the same before the seasons out. Bring it on!

Yes one fault I would level at SG substitutions seem to come a bit later ,seems to wait till about 80 minutes before changing always like to bring on fresh legs about 70 minutes .But I'm just a engineer so how can I critique a legend like SG .
Mind you I was screaming to get Airfield off and he then goes to score the fourth .
Aw well think I'll stick to engineering

It’s not FIFA Roger. The gaffer must’ve been ecstatic at 3-0. Before he had time to get his point over its 3-1. Tonight was a crazy game and I’m sure there will be a few more the same before the seasons out. Bring it on!
It was mental tonight, agreed. just talking more in general

Yes one fault I would level at SG substitutions seem to come a bit later ,seems to wait till about 80 minutes before changing always like to bring on fresh legs about 70 minutes .But I'm just a engineer so how can I critique a legend like SG .
Mind you I was screaming to get Airfield off and he then goes to score the fourth .
Aw well think I'll stick to engineering
See i don think Arfields fully fit yet after the gold cup, but hes such an important player for us. he had a really quiet first half but obviously he's still on cos he can bring us that

See i don think Arfields fully fit yet after the gold cup, but hes such an important player for us. he had a really quiet first half but obviously he's still on cos he can bring us that
Very true mate and not really had a break ,heard he refused a two week holiday as he wanted back training asap.Wasn't complaining about Airfield in general its just he looked like he was blowing out his arse ,but still was giving 100% of what was left in his tank

Very true mate and not really had a break ,heard he refused a two week holiday as he wanted back training asap.Wasn't complaining about Airfield in general its just he looked like he was blowing out his arse ,but still was giving 100% of what was left in his tank
aye hes such an important player, can see why hes getting the minutes - problem with big games so early in the season

I agree with the OP we’ve had a season to bed in, we should now be more comfortable using different formations.

I would like us to be able to play;
4321: with Defoe and Arfield and be really strong attacking centrally.
433: a bit more width with Morelos occupying defenders and holding it up for likes of Aribo and Ojo who’ll chip in with goals.
3421: similar to 1st formation above but a bit more solid.
352: allow us to play both Morelos and Defoe without being overrun in midfield.

There was a game against Rodgers’ cel’ic pre-Gerrard where we were fancied going into it so Rodgers went 3421 and outnumbered us in the middle and it won them the game. They would often switch between 3421 back to 4231 during games against us after that and it gave them an edge being that flexible. Tierney was the one who moved into midfield, they’ve lost that now, Tav could easily do it for us.

Now we have a settled squad it’s something we should be looking to develop.

Latest posts

Back