Characters in football

Scot_

After the death of Nobby Styles. What characters are left in the football?

Super Ali
Paul Gascoine

Name others.....

GL171849.jpg

Different game now, players altogether different beasts to say the 9IAR era. Hard to succeed at the top level, whilst having a carry on. There may well be jokers out there but top level clubs demand professionalism like never before.

Different game now, players altogether different beasts to say the 9IAR era. Hard to succeed at the top level, whilst having a carry on. There may well be jokers out there but top level clubs demand professionalism like never before.

Agree with that. Trained to play like robots and act like robots

Over the last few weeks I’ve been watching the Spurs series on Prime and there is a lot of behind the scenes with the players.
From what I seen I think I had subbeto teams as a kid with more personalities.

I think any boys with strong or different personalities are weeded out early on. A lot of coaches take the easy way out and go with boys who are usually predictable, easier to coach and fit into a system.

Characters are no longer wanted in the modern game.

Over the last few weeks I’ve been watching the Spurs series on Prime and there is a lot of behind the scenes with the players.
From what I seen I think I had subbeto teams as a kid with more personalities.

I think any boys with strong or different personalities are weeded out early on. A lot of coaches take the easy way out and go with boys who are usually predictable, easier to coach and fit into a system.

Characters are no longer wanted in the modern game.
Sad but seemingly true. In this world of wall to wall media, both official and fan media, were there real characters, we would know about it.

Charbonier. L
I know we are not allowed to say he was a proper mental nowadays, so I will just say he was very French. Heroine chic.

Ex Dundee tiims defender. Embarrassed I can’t remember his name. Eastern European. Sure it was Ally that said he settled any dressing room arguments with a Vulcan Death Grip. Just can’t get the name, looks a bit genocidey? Lovely chap I’m sure.

Can mind one of the goalies were supposed to like to paint bollock naked. Was either him or Watterus :))
Yeah, nah my money would still be on Monsieur C. I “met” Watterus (sp?) at a M6 filling station and he must have heard the missus and me cooing, cos he looked round and gave us the wink, “Aye, it is me”
Fud. But wan of oor fuds. So the arrogant fk gets a pass and a wee retrospective smile.

Ex Dundee tiims defender. Embarrassed I can’t remember his name. Eastern European. Sure it was Ally that said he settled any dressing room arguments with a Vulcan Death Grip. Just can’t get the name, looks a bit genocidey? Lovely chap I’m sure.
Gordan Petric.

Not many left , too many rules and not being allowed to say anything controversial has made players personalities seem robotic. It’s happening in all walks of life sadly.

The modern player seams to be a bit precious, too well looked after, pampered, boring!
I’ve heard Andy Halliday a few times on the radio, good patter.

Scotland has some great ones, Jim Leishman and Dick Campbell for starters.

Jim Leishman’s story about growing up in Lochgelly in a Rangers family and coming home to tell his dad he would be starting against Rangers for his professional debut. His dad said nothing and on the morning of the game he left the house to head off for the stadium, his dad opened the window and shouted on him. As he turned rounded he expected his dad to say good luck, instead he shouted “I hope you get fucked!” :))

Morelos and Kent have a lot of personality imo

But otherwise, I'd say:
Zlatan
Peter Crouch
Roy Keane
Neville and Carragher
Evra
Cristiano Ronaldo

Are all prominent football characters still around

Scotland has some great ones, Jim Leishman and Dick Campbell for starters.

Jim Leishman’s story about growing up in Lochgelly in a Rangers family and coming home to tell his dad he would be starting against Rangers for his professional debut. His dad said nothing and on the morning of the game he left the house to head off for the stadium, his dad opened the window and shouted on him. As he turned rounded he expected his dad to say good luck, instead he shouted “I hope you get fucked!” :))

He also tells a story, which is probably bollocks, that he was told to flatten Rangers main player first chance he got. He said to his manager that he'd be sent off if he did that, only to be told *they'll miss him more than we'll miss you"
Can't remember which Rangers player he was meant to take out.

We
He also tells a story, which is probably bollocks, that he was told to flatten Rangers main player first chance he got. He said to his manager that he'd be sent off if he did that, only to be told *they'll miss him more than we'll miss you"
Can't remember which Rangers player he was meant to take out.
Thats right. I think it might have been John Greig.

Back