Characters in football

Dick Campbell tells a great story about bring a team to Ibrox in the cup to play Advocaat‘a Rangers. He tells the boys to enjoy the experience, take it all in etc.
Full time comes and they were pumped and as he got out the dugout Advocaat came over and shook his hand and told him he should be really proud of his players.

Dick says, I should have replied, thanks that is very kind of you to say. Best of luck in the next round.

Instead he said- %^*& you ya wee Dutch prick, at least I’ve no got war wounds in my arse from running away from the Germans!!

:)) :)) :))

First time I heard him tell that there wasn’t a dry eye in the room.

Whilst agreeing with the sentiment that there are fewer characters...'character' was/is often just a euphemism for 'wanker'.

You're probably right when you think that recently Savage and Jimmy Bullard were classed as characters during their playing career.

Over the last few weeks I’ve been watching the Spurs series on Prime and there is a lot of behind the scenes with the players.
From what I seen I think I had subbeto teams as a kid with more personalities.

I think any boys with strong or different personalities are weeded out early on. A lot of coaches take the easy way out and go with boys who are usually predictable, easier to coach and fit into a system.

Characters are no longer wanted in the modern game.
Couldn’t agree more,some of the most talented players are told at 10,11 and twelve they are too immature and need to grow up.

Don’t know if it’s a goalie thing because they are close to the fans but Hugh Sproat of Ayr United came across as a bit of a character,He was always up for a bit of banter in the 70s.

Jimmy Calderwood , always gave me a laugh when he was infront of the camera hands in trousers playing pocket billiards.

Don’t know if it’s a goalie thing because they are close to the fans but Hugh Sproat of Ayr United came across as a bit of a character,He was always up for a bit of banter in the 70s.
Aye remember Sproat used to wear a green top v us and a blue one when Ayr played the scum. He used to conduct the gers fans when we sang " Hugh Sproat, yer a wanker" to him. Character!

Over the last few weeks I’ve been watching the Spurs series on Prime and there is a lot of behind the scenes with the players.
From what I seen I think I had subbeto teams as a kid with more personalities.

I think any boys with strong or different personalities are weeded out early on. A lot of coaches take the easy way out and go with boys who are usually predictable, easier to coach and fit into a system.

Characters are no longer wanted in the modern game.
WTF are you talking about???

There was that classic exchange with Dele Alli and how he brushes his teeth. The sort of banter that becomes legendary and is told in the after dinner speaking circuits in later careers. What more could you want?

Frank Worthington ex Leicester and England. Remember reading he failed a medical when Liverpool wanted to sign him cos he went on a bender to Spain. Colourful character and brilliant footballer.

There was that classic exchange with Dele Alli and how he brushes his teeth. The sort of banter that becomes legendary and is told in the after dinner speaking circuits in later careers. What more could you want?
You’re right that was one little nugget of wit which I chose to ignore.
On the same vein I found Harry’s rah rah pre game speech as inspiring as a bowl of cornflakes.

They also had that hilarious wee exchange about what there favourite chocolate bars were

Back