Charged for parking in Tesco at St Johnstone game

OP, I agree with most of the comments on this thread.

My understanding on this. You will continue to get letters from English based companies which will carry very little weight.

If they shift the debt recovery to a Scottish based law firm then you may need to take a bit more care.

As it stands (up here), assuming the registered keeper is the driver is not grounds to start any formal litigation. They need to litigate against the driver of the vehicle at that time which comes with considerable risk on their part - how do they prove you were driving?

The risk/reward for an £80 fine is high. As a previous poster has said though, on occasion, these things can result in CCJ’s but that is rare and means that person probably didn’t have any attendance or legal support.

How long until these rats give up?

2 letters received now for the game a few month ago.
They send these out to hundreds of people, if a small percentage decide its not worth the hassle and pay, they are quids in. They are on a win win. They are not losing money if you don't pay, they are getting something for nothing if you do.

I've had 2 (different car parks) they are very persistent but they will eventually know they are on to a loser.

The law is changing in Scotland but it is not through yet, ignore all letters until you see on ethat says "letter of Claim". All you need to do at this point is send the following

Dear Debt Collector.

Your correspondence dated "____" is noted. As a legal company you should be aware a letter of claim is invalid in Scotland, that the keeper liability provisions of Sch4 PoFA do not apply in Scotland and any alleged debt is out of jurisdiction. I will not enter into any communication with yourselves and consider this matter closed

Yours(Registered Keeper)

Include the Parking charge notice reference, the debt collectors reference and car Registration at start of letter.

The provisions are changing this year and in particular section 8 of the act allows English companies to pursue on a letter of Claim.

Hope that this helps

Yes I got one too and also had a few from KFC/Aldi at Ibrox, although they are much more expensive from memory. Didn't pay any and just rip and bin when next letter comes

What a strange bump. I started this thread in 2021 under my old username, which got banned because I called Goldson useless and a liability. How things change!!

For what it’s worth I just binned the original letter and haven’t heard anything back.
Didn't want to start a new thread on it. Knew there was one or two. First one that came up.

What a strange bump. I started this thread in 2021 under my old username, which got banned because I called Goldson useless and a liability. How things change!!

For what it’s worth I just binned the original letter and haven’t heard anything back.
Can you change back to your old username, interested to see what it was and if it’s still relevant????

Had a letter from whatever company runs the carpark at Asda in Govan, usual nonsense, dutifully ignored, slightly over a year later get a letter from dcbl, they had obviously passed on the debt. Series of final offers and reminders ensues before final letter stating they are starting legal action, that was over a month ago and no bailiffs yet, until the law changes can just ignore.

Its a charge in line with a contract, entered into upon entering the car park with terms displayed.

However the legality of that contract may be questionable and as registered keeper that doesnt automatically make you liable for it - hence why when a car is caught by a speed camera, under law you are asked to identiy the driver, I dont think the parking companies can do that.

What I would say is a few test cases have been around and the companes have won on occasion.

Its unlikely they would physically take you to court over £70, but if you ran up multiple charges they might. I've seen CCJs for parking charges awarded for sub £500 now.

Someone parking the same car at Asda for Ibrox for example all the time over a full season or two is taking a bit of a chance.
I saw a few where the argument is that signs can be visible but the key is there needs to be a barrier to become enforced in Scotland generally the company have backed down based on that

Just received a letter from Horizon parking saying I exceeded my time limit when I parked in Tesco car park up at St Johnstone.

£70 fine reduced to £30 if paid within 28 days.

Anyone else had a letter as the car park was full of bears?

It doesn’t say what the time limit was but it took well over 30 minutes to get out because it was that busy.
Bin it, you'll get another letter bin that one too, they will not pursue it.

Wouldn't be binning them, email the shop (not the parking provider) stating you were a customer and won't return if it's enforced - they'll cancel them no bother.

Correct.

The people saying they aren’t enforceable are wrong. They could take you to court and win, but unless you’re into them for £1000s, they won’t.

People have been taken to court by them, but these morons were parking there every day for their work etc.
My mrs. was one of those morons LOL she ran up a £3000 debt and they did take her to court and the court went in their favour

Tesco and others have a car park for their customers so if football fans park there in order to go to a game and are over the time limit then a fine in my view is in order.
If you are using the car park while shopping and are I presume dead slow in filling up the trolley then I would go back to the shop and get the fine cancelled.
Parking these days is a problem almost anywhere you go these days and some car parks charging ridiculous amounts are a rip off.
The answer would be for the super markets to charge for their car parks and deduct the charge at the checkout for shoppers. Need to be a minimum shop bill to stop those buying a bar of chocolate to cover the car park charge.
I go to Ibrox and normally get a lift or take a taxi. Taxi fares are also getting out of hand but at least I can have drink with the posh guys upstairs.

At Tynecastle earlier in the season... a parked in the McDonald's car park (has 90mins max parking signs), covered back reg with bin bag on way out the car park until I turned out the car park then removed the bag cover from back reg... never heard anything. :)

We get the piss taken out of us for everything these days, need to take the piss back when we can.

OP, I agree with most of the comments on this thread.

My understanding on this. You will continue to get letters from English based companies which will carry very little weight.

If they shift the debt recovery to a Scottish based law firm then you may need to take a bit more care.

As it stands (up here), assuming the registered keeper is the driver is not grounds to start any formal litigation. They need to litigate against the driver of the vehicle at that time which comes with considerable risk on their part - how do they prove you were driving?

The risk/reward for an £80 fine is high. As a previous poster has said though, on occasion, these things can result in CCJ’s but that is rare and means that person probably didn’t have any attendance or legal support.
Do you not only risk a ccj if it goes to court, you lose and still dont pay. Which would be daft

Hope you're feeling ok, holding that opinion all alone must have been difficult.
Maybe soon you'll find a network of support.

They’ll send you four or five scary letters which you’ll pish yourself at when the small print at the bottom reads “not enforceable in court in Scotland”.

Got one over a year ago from a car park in Luss for leaving the car park 5 minutes after our allocated time.

Bin it.

Edit: haud on, 2021!?

Back