Charged for parking in Tesco at St Johnstone game

Correct.

The people saying they aren’t enforceable are wrong. They could take you to court and win, but unless you’re into them for £1000s, they won’t.

People have been taken to court by them, but these morons were parking there every day for their work etc.
There’s even ways to get out of it if they take you to court, but you’d need a lawyer that knows they’re stuff. We done a law module at Uni and the lecturer explained how these companies can be beaten if it goes to court but can I feck remember the tiny details

Ign
Just received a letter from Horizon parking saying I exceeded my time limit when I parked in Tesco car park up at St Johnstone.

£70 fine reduced to £30 if paid within 28 days.

Anyone else had a letter as the car park was full of bears?

It doesn’t say what the time limit was but it took well over 30 minutes to get out because it was that busy.
[/QUOTE
Ignore mate .

do fit outs in them and get them now and again when I hadn't signed vehicle in

Tell them you weren't driving the car and cannot tell them who was due to data protection /confidentiality issues. The person who you loaned your car to is unwilling for their name to be passed on. This works!

You can ignore it but you enter a contract with the parking firm once you enter a car park they monitor.
If you don't win an appeal or pay the fine they can pass this onto credit reference agencies.
I was working Morrisons in Anniesland years ago and got 2 tickets as no-one let me know to register my car with the store. The store got the tickets cancelled but I found out that's what these firms can do.

They're not fines. Only the police and council can issue fines in Scotland. So they're not enforceable.

Unless you end up with enough of them that the company running the scheme decides to take you to court. It's essentially a charge for exceeding the terms of use of the car park that you're deemed to have accepted by parking your car there.

For most folk its never really an issue because it's not worth taking somebody to court for £70. If you get a few of them from the same firm then it starts to make financial sense.
This ^. They won’t take you to court for £70 but not try accumulate too much of them. There is a story someone accumulated loads and we’re taking to court and lost

Just received a letter from Horizon parking saying I exceeded my time limit when I parked in Tesco car park up at St Johnstone.

It doesn’t say what the time limit was but it took well over 30 minutes to get out because it was that busy.
Pay them fcuk all

Bin it. Expect follow up letters but it's not enforceable.
To stop it just phone them and ask for a picture of the car in the car park.
Ask them to send proof in law that you are committing an offence.
Tell them if they cannot do so but continue to send you out letters you will speak to your solicitor regarding them harassing you.

I did this when my daughter was getting grief from them.
She was getting stressed out about it so I phoned them on her behalf saying I was driving the car.

If you don't plan on paying then don't in any way contact them or acknowledge the letter.
If you stress out about things then just pay the 30 quid and the threat of court cases will be gone.
They'll be hundreds If fans every game get there letters, most want pay but some will and the company will make some money and be happy.

To stop it just phone them and ask for a picture of the car in the car park.
Ask them to send proof in law that you are committing an offence.
Tell them if they cannot do so but continue to send you out letters you will speak to your solicitor regarding them harassing you.

I did this when my daughter was getting grief from them.
She was getting stressed out about it so I phoned them on her behalf saying I was driving the car.
He already said they have photos of him entering and leaving.
Contacting them and asking this is the absolute worst thing he can if he doesn't want to pay.

Are these enforceable in Scotland? Sure I’ve read that it’s best to completely ignore them, don’t try and contact them or appeal either.
No they are not. The difference in Scotland is that the registered keeper is not legally obliged to declare who was driving the vehicle at the time.

Been threatening me with court action for two years, for overstaying in the parking zone at the Pizza Hut.

The best thing to do is go into the Tesco and say to the customer service desk that you got it when you were actually shopping in the store and they will take it off you and get it cancelled. Happened to me before (not this Tesco) and they took it off me no questions asked.
Why encourage the guy to go into Tesco and lie about the situation. ? weird.

I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't signs up in the car park warning of this, it's common practice up and down the country, and being next to a football stadium pretty obvious don't you think?
tumblr_owcwzdnst61vmjz7so5_400-gif.1295873

Rules are rules. Bin it anyway. They are chancers.

Are these enforceable in Scotland? Sure I’ve read that it’s best to completely ignore them, don’t try and contact them or appeal either.
They are only enforceable if you are a repeat offender and it's worthwhile for the company to take the car owner to court. A woman in Dundee (I think) was taken to court for 10's of thousands. The parking company won the case.

For a one off, they won't bother apart from a few letters.

If Tesco just did a number of limited match day passes, say 50 places first come first served for £10, they would get A nice reward. Plus more Bears would shop there and eat on match days, suppose that to sensible of an approach.

I got one about three years ago for overstaying at the Almondvale shopping centre in Livingston. The debt collection sharks were still sending me a letter this year.

All have been binned despite the wife becoming increasingly frantic re the threatening wording used - court action, increased fine, credit rating etc etc. I had to show her the advice on the Martin Lewis messageboards to get her to accept it is practically unenforceable. They use this language because they know it scares the uninformed.

Its a total scam and unless you are acquiring multiple charges from the same company should be completely ignored

Can I ask, was this in Scotland?

That said, I've dealt with a couple I got in England, 1 re a hotel car park and 1 remarkably for a m-way service station (now that's a real scam).

Anyways I kicked up absolute feck with the companies both times and never heard from them again.

The Scots version is not, as other posters rightly have pointed out, enforceable (technically).

It's a scare tactic which sadly some people fall for and pony up.

Was that in Scotland?
I believe this was in England actually.

I got the same for a game there 2 or 3 years ago.

I ignored it and the follow up letters, after 3 or 4 they stopped sending them and never heard anything else.

Jesus. Some of the replies on here are pure fantasy. OP. You can trust this. They can’t get a car into the dock of a court!

DO NOT contact this firm. The basic tenet of Scots Law is identification. And they have none (unless you stupidly enter into dialogue and identify yourself!) it doesn’t matter if they’ve pics of your car or even of you driving it. That’s not evidence of identification. (Reasonable doubt has been introduced in murder cases even when the bad guy is caught cctv ffs!) They cannot demand you identify the driver, they don’t have that power.

As said above they’ll write to you 4 or 5 times, in increasingly strident terms, then abandon their efforts.

Hold fast. Don’t Panic.

Had a couple of these over the years namely Stirling services & Bathgate opposite the old train station.

Binnety bin and thrice bin.

Case dismissed.

They can’t enforce it mate.

Am pretty sure its a 2 hour limit.

Doesn't help you though mate.

Jesus. Some of the replies on here are pure fantasy. OP. You can trust this. They can’t get a car into the dock of a court!

DO NOT contact this firm. The basic tenet of Scots Law is identification. And they have none (unless you stupidly enter into dialogue and identify yourself!) it doesn’t matter if they’ve pics of your car or even of you driving it. That’s not evidence of identification. (Reasonable doubt has been introduced in murder cases even when the bad guy is caught cctv ffs!) They cannot demand you identify the driver, they don’t have that power.

As said above they’ll write to you 4 or 5 times, in increasingly strident terms, then abandon their efforts.

Hold fast. Don’t Panic.
Civil Court relies on the balance of probabilities as opposed to proof beyond a reasonable doubt, that’s why these companies have won cases in the past.

However, as a one off, bin it.

They will send you several letters threatening court etc and showing legal precedents.

Just ignore and it goes away.

Why encourage the guy to go into Tesco and lie about the situation. ? weird.
Because as I said, the same thing happened to me and they girl on the service desk took my ticket and said she would sort it. After that I didn’t get any follow us letters or anything. If he’s going to just ignore the letter and not pay, it’s worth a shot so it’s sorted and he doesn’t keep getting letters from them. It’s parking in a car park for more than the maximum allowed, it’s hardly lying to the police about a crime

I got one, told them I wasnt driving (which I wasn't). They actually had the cheek by asking me via email (so in writing) to just say I was the driver.

Told them it was disgustiing they asked me to commit fraud. Never heard from them again.

You’ll get about 6 or 7 letters
Don’t read
Just bin
Some bint in Dundee did get taken to court over these but she had over 20k worth of tickets so it was worth their while.

Whole shitload of info in this thread on Money Saving Expert. Its a lot of reading but it covers a multitude of options. Of particular note is that things are different in Scotland:

Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

YES. IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NORTHERN IRELAND, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, AND SEND THE USUAL TEMPLATE APPEAL FOR YOUR CASE, NOT SAYING WHO WAS DRIVING. HOWEVER, DO NOT TRY POPLA BECAUSE POPLA (IN A CASE THAT TOOK PLACE OUTSIDE ENGLAND/WALES) WILL REQUIRE YOU TO STATE IF YOU WERE DRIVING OR NOT, AND THAT IS THE ONE THING NOT TO DISCLOSE.

If i had a pound for every parking ticket I received and ignored then I'd have enough to pay all the parking tickets.

Had a mate who didnt pay a private parking fine and ended up with a CCJ which absolutely screwed him at the point it came for him to remortgage.

Fine and well saying bin it but if they pursue you through the courts for it, and the court determines you are liable, then your credit check takes a hit. Less of a concern for anyone looking to secure borrowings but for those with mortgages in particular its not a risk i would be taking

We 100% have CCJs in Scotland

From what I understand, though I’m out the financial sector a few years now, Scotland doesn’t have County Courts, so no County Court Judgements. You can live in Scotland and be given a CCJ from and English court that will show up on your credit file. If a creditor wants to do the same thing in Scotland then it’s called a Decree, not a CCJ.

This is from the Scottish Courts & Tribunals website:

Money judgments and certificates of satisfaction FAQs​

I have been told that I have a CCJ on my credit file. What does this mean?​

Money judgments issued by sheriff courts in Scotland are called decrees. Decrees are the Scottish equivalent to money judgments, known as county court judgments or CCJs, in England and Wales.
Details of Scottish decrees are supplied by the sheriff courts to the Registry Trust. The Registry Trust maintain a public register containing all simple procedure, small claims and summary cause money decrees granted in the sheriff courts during the preceding six years. The Scottish Register also contains details of ordinary cause decrees dated 1st January 2010 onwards.
The Registry Trust notifies credit reference agencies of all decrees, recalls and dismissals on a regular basis and the credit reference agencies update your credit file accordingly.

The letter has photos timed and dated of me entering and leaving.

If I pay it or appeal I’ve to contact some Essex based company. It’s not even a Perthshire company who have issued the letter.
Unenforceable in Scotland. Wipe your arse with it and return it to the sender

It’s legally enforceable. Most companies don’t pursue but they can. You can square up or take a chance.

Back