Charged for parking in Tesco at St Johnstone game

You may need to pay
If they can show that you were driving the car
If they they can show a court you accepted a contract with them as a result of you seeing the signage.
If a court accepts that the breach has left them out of pocket
If they can be bothered doing all of the above.

I got one of those fines at Sainsburys from a private parking company about 6 years ago and my wife (a solicitor) threw it in the bin. I never heard anything back from them. My advice would be to not pay it. I'm pretty sure only Council parking fines are enforceable. A lot of the private companies use the words "Invitation to pay" in which case it needs to go straight in the bin and you should never hear anything from them again.

Just received a letter from Horizon parking saying I exceeded my time limit when I parked in Tesco car park up at St Johnstone.

£70 fine reduced to £30 if paid within 28 days.

Anyone else had a letter as the car park was full of bears?

It doesn’t say what the time limit was but it took well over 30 minutes to get out because it was that busy.

Scaremongering they can do the square root of f*ck all really it’s a PCN a civil matter not enforceable by law unless it is actually from the police or council bin it.

Just received a letter from Horizon parking saying I exceeded my time limit when I parked in Tesco car park up at St Johnstone.

It doesn’t say what the time limit was but it took well over 30 minutes to get out because it was that busy.
Bin it mate.. I got one a couple of years ago from there

From what I understand, though I’m out the financial sector a few years now, Scotland doesn’t have County Courts, so no County Court Judgements. You can live in Scotland and be given a CCJ from and English court that will show up on your credit file. If a creditor wants to do the same thing in Scotland then it’s called a Decree, not a CCJ.

This is from the Scottish Courts & Tribunals website:

Money judgments and certificates of satisfaction FAQs​

I have been told that I have a CCJ on my credit file. What does this mean?​

Money judgments issued by sheriff courts in Scotland are called decrees. Decrees are the Scottish equivalent to money judgments, known as county court judgments or CCJs, in England and Wales.
Details of Scottish decrees are supplied by the sheriff courts to the Registry Trust. The Registry Trust maintain a public register containing all simple procedure, small claims and summary cause money decrees granted in the sheriff courts during the preceding six years. The Scottish Register also contains details of ordinary cause decrees dated 1st January 2010 onwards.
The Registry Trust notifies credit reference agencies of all decrees, recalls and dismissals on a regular basis and the credit reference agencies update your credit file accordingly.
I had a CCJ in 1992 and I lived in Glasgow at the time. It was for unpaid Bank of Scotland credit card which I'd missed the letters for as I was working away. I paid it off asap and it helped me massively as it meant the mortgage company looked upon me favourably when I was looking for a mortgage five years later.

Bin it and bin all subsequent letters.

Also, cancel your tv licence and don't turn up for Jury Duty.

(And have a look in The Lounge from time to time - these threads are as frequent as the reminders.)

Correct.

The people saying they aren’t enforceable are wrong. They could take you to court and win, but unless you’re into them for £1000s, they won’t.

People have been taken to court by them, but these morons were parking there every day for their work etc.
One of the few sensible replies on the thread.

These infractions ARE enforceable and the company CAN take you to court.

The reality is that they generally don't, due to the small amount involved.

There have been a number of cases whereby people have ran up a number of infractions by repeatedly parking illegally over a period of time, and have incurred much larger penalties. The companies involved have pursued them through the courts and won every time.

People claiming that they are not enforceable are talking out of their backside.

Below is just one example:

Are these enforceable in Scotland? Sure I’ve read that it’s best to completely ignore them, don’t try and contact them or appeal either.
they might take you to court in scotland but the chances of them doing so are almost zero unless you have about 10 tickets then it becomes financially viable

I'm not getting on my high horse,
Tesco are directly opposite the stadium, it's not rocket science expecting them to keep their car park accessible for their customers is it?
You’re absolutely correct but all the same, outwith Boxing Day that car park is never anywhere near full. At best this is a “don’t do it again” ticket.

Are these enforceable in Scotland? Sure I’ve read that it’s best to completely ignore them, don’t try and contact them or appeal either.
Yes they are.

Make no mistake, it is a bill or charge.

However, you can choose not to pay. Like any other bill or charge.

E.g. Order and drink a pint then don’t pay for it. Same thing.

But, be under no illusion, you owe the money.

:)

Yes they are.

Make no mistake, it is a bill or charge.

However, you can choose not to pay. Like any other bill or charge.

E.g. Order and drink a pint then don’t pay for it. Same thing.

But, be under no illusion, you owe the money.

We are going round in circles here.

It is a charge not a fine. The person driving the car has entered into a contract for parking services.

For it to be enforced, they have to take someone to court. They have to prove, on the balance of probability, that they have taken action against the correct person i.e the driver.

In my view, it is not reasonable to assume that the registered keeper or owner is the driver, therefore, do not enter into dialogue with them. As the majority here say, bin it and forget it. I would seriously doubt that they have any evidence which identifies the driver.

Just ignore m8.

A

It is a charge not a fine. The person driving the car has entered into a contract for parking services.

For it to be enforced, they have to take someone to court. They have to prove, on the balance of probability, that they have taken action against the correct person i.e the driver.

In my view, it is not reasonable to assume that the registered keeper or owner is the driver, therefore, do not enter into dialogue with them. As the majority here say, bin it and forget it. I would seriously doubt that they have any evidence which identifies the driver.
As a previous poster stated, only the police and council can issue enforceable fines in Scotland.
So bin it, and this thread

Nice that you have read my post carefully and agreed with it.

Great minds think alike.

Happy to represent anyone pro bono if they get taken to court.

Nice that you have read my post carefully and agreed with it.

Great minds think alike.

Happy to represent anyone pro bono if they get taken to court.

I was agreeing with your post. I take it that you agree that, whereas the charges are technically enforceable, there is still a requirement for the applicant to demonstrate that the correct respondent has been identified?

I have been getting correspondence going back to 2015 for over 20 parking offences.
Photos dates and times are attached. Apparently I cannot appeal after ignoring all other letters.
No chance of getting a penny from me and every letter gets binned.
Ignore and do not respond.

Firstly they are not Fines they are invoices. There are three ways to tackle these
1. Pay the £30 and be done with it. Put it down to experience. Nothing wrong with paying for a quiet life.
2. Completely ignore including the follow up letters which will likely come along every few months.
3. Write a letter stating you do not believe they have the authority to issues these demands and you wish to see the contract between them and the landowner. Also put in that the demand does not match any loss of income based on parking charges in the area. Make it clear unless these are forthcoming you will not engage with them any more.

In Scotland they cannot sell or pass on the charge to debt collectors unless they have a court order in their favour. You will receive demands from debt collectors including those TV 'we'll take it away' lot. All they can do is pass it back to the company to take you to court. It is unlikely if it is just one ticket but if you do it multiple times it makes it more worthwhile to go to court.

I would just pay it.

Some people seem to think that the right to roam includes car use, it doesn't, it only covers waking.

People can't just park a car anywhere they want on someone else's land, if I park a car somewhere and get charged I pay it as it is the honest thing to do, the people providing the car park are providing a service the right thing to do is to pay for that service and not try and dodge payment.

Put it in the bin

People can't just park a car anywhere they want on someone else's land, if I park a car somewhere and get charged I pay it as it is the honest thing to do, the people providing the car park are providing a service the right thing to do is to pay for that service and not try and dodge payment.
Not as black and white as you make out. I got an invoice for parking in an EMPTY retail park between 8 and 11.30pm with no charge machines as it was a free car park. All the shops were closed. The picture shows a number plate and nothing else not even an outline shadow. Where is the harm?

5ob8zn.jpg

Bin. Tried it with me for years after a game at Livingston.

There’s even ways to get out of it if they take you to court, but you’d need a lawyer that knows they’re stuff. We done a law module at Uni and the lecturer explained how these companies can be beaten if it goes to court but can I feck remember the tiny details
Either your lecturer was wrong or it was years ago. There’s clear case law now on the enforceability of parking fines. It was a grey area for years but not any more. If you park then you’re deemed to have accepted the terms and formed a contract.

Either your lecturer was wrong or it was years ago. There’s clear case law now on the enforceability of parking fines. It was a grey area for years but not any more. If you park then you’re deemed to have accepted the terms and formed a contract.
It was a fairly reasonable amount of time ago

This. All day long. If you don’t identify yourself or enter into communication it cannot proceed.

edit to say: my most recent one was a pub car park, 4 letters in total over 6 months, all binned. No further correspondence for the last 6 months. DO NOT ID YOURSELF!

As far as I know it is important to NOT contact them. It is up to them to prove you were the driver when it could have been anyone. My mrs got them all the time, each letter and follow up binned. This applies to private carparks only, I think.

I would just pay it.

Some people seem to think that the right to roam includes car use, it doesn't, it only covers waking.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Put it right in the Erroll Flynn. Had umpteen over the years all over Scotland and never paid one yet.

Cant even whisper on your credit rating.

Chancers chancing.

There's a huge difference between legally enforceable fines, and the odd occasion where these private companies have recovered amounts from individuals.

Calling them all enforceable is alarmist and exactly what these companies want people to think.

Last edited:

Bin it but a word of warning to anyone who is a repeat offender to the same car park, a friend of mine used a similar car park for work every day and eventually was taken to court from a civil lawsuit as the fines and repeat tickets amounted up to to over 5 grand. They would only pursue court if the money gets up at this type of figure though.

As others have said mate and from previous experience, do not contact them and throw it and any letters you get in the bin.

I've had this a few times, the letters persist for a while with various threats of what they "may" do and the charge going up and down in an attempt to get you to pay, eventually they just give up

You know you parked where you shouldn't have.
For the sake of £30 I'd just pay to take away all the worry and stress that this could potentially bring.

Back