Charlie Adam interview on BBC Radio Scotland with Tom English

Bluenose25

Just heard the tail end of an interview Charlie Adam did with Tom English tonight on BBC Radio Scotland (finished at 6pm). What I heard was really good and was wondering if it was possible to listen back to it so I could hear the part about his time with us. If anybody could help it would be appreciated.

Was a good listen. He was very emotional. Dad killed himself, maws just died, brothers in jail.
I thought it was an excellent listen and he was man enough to come back and add to the interview about his drink and drive conviction.he went up in my estimation after listening to it.says everything that his dad hardly ever came to see him at Ibrox because of the abuse he got off some of our own support.

I thought it was an excellent listen and he was man enough to come back and add to the interview about his drink and drive conviction.he went up in my estimation after listening to it.says everything that his dad hardly ever came to see him at Ibrox because of the abuse he got off some of our own support.
His dad that had him in tears cos he himself was too harsh on him?

Mind being pals with a St Mirren fan during the 05/06 season and just kept hearing every week how superb Adam was playing and was I excited to see him break into the Rangers team. Did really well at the beginning of the Le Guen era but kind of dropped off. Got it back at Blackpool but alas his career dropped off again.

There was always a superb player there but for whatever reason he just couldn't maintain it.

His dad that had him in tears cos he himself was too harsh on him?
was it not because he looked up to where his dad was sitting at anfield and his dad was in tears and it was one of the few times he showed a lot of emotion when watching him.

was it not because he looked up to where his dad was sitting at anfield and his dad was in tears and it was one of the few times he showed a lot of emotion when watching him.
Na he said he berated him infront of team mates at the end of a game. Was obviously a young boy at the time but it sounded incredibly harsh

Na he said he berated him infront of team mates at the end of a game. Was obviously a young boy at the time but it sounded incredibly harsh
I think Charlie snr wanted to make him the best he could be to get a better chance at life.found it very telling his dad said to him “once you leave here don’t ever look back and come back here”

Met him in Magaluf on a boy’s holiday, he was absolutely out his nut and it was a few weeks before we played FK Zeta in a CL qualifier. I was also in the same state, telling him how I thought he was one of the most underrated players at the club etc.

He went on to have one of the worst 45 minutes I’ve ever seen from a Rangers player and was hooked at half time :D

March 2012

"I am not interested in Rangers," he said. "It is nothing to do with me, I don't need to say anything.

"The only person I am interested in is my brother. My brother is there and for me, that's the important thing.

%^*& him

Brilliant. A guy who has lost both his parents (one tragically so) at a young age and we ridiculous posts like this. A lot of things were said in the heat of the moment in 2012 - I'd like to think the vast majority of our support can forgive and forget.

Brilliant. A guy who has lost both his parents (one tragically so) at a young age and we ridiculous posts like this. A lot of things were said in the heat of the moment in 2012 - I'd like to think the vast majority of our support can forgive and forget.
I can unless your name is Naismith.

Mind being pals with a St Mirren fan during the 05/06 season and just kept hearing every week how superb Adam was playing and was I excited to see him break into the Rangers team. Did really well at the beginning of the Le Guen era but kind of dropped off. Got it back at Blackpool but alas his career dropped off again.

There was always a superb player there but for whatever reason he just couldn't maintain it.

I always bumped into him and Hutton and a few other Rangers in glasgow clubs due to mutual friends and tbh between the amount he drank and then what and how much he ate afterwards didn’t help his career to much.

It’s what he said

He didn’t care about Rangers or any of us

If you are happy to forgive and forget good on you

Was a good listen. He was very emotional. Dad killed himself, maws just died, brothers in jail.
Terrible for the lad.
No excuse for breaking the law but you would have a heart of stone not to see some mitigating circumstances there.

I always liked Charlie as a player and supported him on here time after time, along with our departed friend Number Eight.

I haven't read Steven Gerrard slagging him off but I have a couple of unread Gerrard books upstairs, I may have a look.
I always maintained that both couldn't play in the same team and Gerrard wouldn't have liked another player in the side trying to steal his thunder.

Wish he would answer why he said he never he was saying he never seen any issues in Seville.

Aye Charlie, that’s because you were in the stadium 4 hours before the game going media duties.

He spoke about his conviction in fact he went back and did more of the interview after his conviction and he made no excuses for his behavior.he’s not the first or last footballer to have a drink/drive conviction.
Oh, that's alright then. :rolleyes: Sorry, maybe he deserves some leeway and forgiveness but I don't get why he's still getting gigs as a pundit after that.

Career dropped off?

He went from Blackpool to Liverpool…

And then played over 150 games for Stoke, mostly in the Premier League.

His personal tragedies aside it’s not a ridiculous post in anyway. He’s on record as saying it and having had the misfortune to meet him it doesn’t surprise.
He was extremely rude and basically said he little or no interest in how we got on against Celtc the following day- he was a Rangers player at the time. His mates looked mortified.
I don’t know anyone who has a good word to say about him after meeting or having dealings with him.
Some people are just total pricks in life and he sounds like one of them I’m afraid.

Feel for the guy's personal circumstances, but bigger picture we live in an 'apology' culture where if you screw up, a contrite media interview makes everything okay.
And the more personal tragedy you can squeeze in there the better.
I might be old-school, but actions speak louder than words.

Last edited:
Strange one Adam and my only conclusion him is that he’s a bit thick.

His Rangers career was limited by a total lack of professionalism. He was clearly unfit most of the time for a guy of his age and lacked the mobility to play centrally. He spent most of his time off In Milngavie town centre going between Greggs, Ladbrokes and the ice cream shop.

Then the well documented bitter and fairly nasty comments about us when he left.

Like many he’s changed his tune as his career has come to an end and is more pro Rangers than he was a few years ago.

I’ve also seen him in the club deck for a European game so he does attend outwith media work.

Plenty of people have suffered worse. It was hardly the heat of the moment either. Shite words from him (especially after getting well wishes from bears when he was doing well with Blackpoool) and then angled for a route back when we were headed back to the top. Why would anyone forgive or forget that? An ex player kicking us at our lowest ebb, he can go and do one.

Plenty of people have suffered worse. It was hardly the heat of the moment either. Shite words from him (especially after getting well wishes from bears when he was doing well with Blackpoool) and then angled for a route back when we were headed back to the top. Why would anyone forgive or forget that? An ex player kicking us at our lowest ebb, he can go and do one.

For some people life is bigger than football. I don't condone his actions but I hope he is in a better place now or at least getting the help he needs.

For some people life is bigger than football. I don't condone his actions but I hope he is in a better place now or at least getting the help he needs.
So do I, but seeing as he’s a millionaire footballer who showed no decency towards the club I’m quite glad he was never allowed to worm his way back here when it suited him.

His personal tragedies aside it’s not a ridiculous post in anyway. He’s on record as saying it and having had the misfortune to meet him it doesn’t surprise.
He was extremely rude and basically said he little or no interest in how we got on against Celtc the following day- he was a Rangers player at the time. His mates looked mortified.
I don’t know anyone who has a good word to say about him after meeting or having dealings with him.
Some people are just total pricks in life and he sounds like one of them I’m afraid.
Oh how I wish I could have put it, so to the point as you have put it and yes I remember that statement, as far as I’m concerned, he's put to the very end of ex players

Gerrard spoke to him but never followed up on it, that was it.

Always wondered why the mhanks used to sing about his sisters pants though?

Back