Charlie Adam on his 'I'm not really interested' comment

"That Rangers mentality of 'we need to win every week' has been with since I was a kid. Going back there and having that opportunity to play at Ibrox was incredible.

I am quite shocked at reading this, is this not the attitude that every footballer has going into every game they play no matter who they play for??
I take it you've never seen a premier league team visiting Ibrox?

Time can be a healer mate.

He made a throwaway remark that he probably regretted the next day.

Nobody dropped us in the shite more than Souness when he left and look how he's received on here now.

I guarantee that wasn't the feeling amongst Bears in 1991, but look how he fights our corner now.

I've personally no axe to grind with Adam.
Souness did not drop us in the shit. He told Murray he was going to Liverpool at the end of the season, and Murray told him to go straight away.

To be honest Charlie Adam owes a lot of our support %^*& all for all the abuse he got.i remember one game up in Inverness he was taking all sorts of stick and he scores the opening goal in front of the rangers support and he gives a little back and some posters on here were outraged.
Charlie Adam scored some wonderful and important goals for us and it really did seem to annoy some posters on here that he had a very good career in England after he left us.

Souness did not drop us in the shit. He told Murray he was going to Liverpool at the end of the season, and Murray told him to go straight away.

I remember the front of the FF fanzine which had on it “shoot souness and win a metro” the rangers support felt really let down by souness and I think we lose the league of Murray let’s him stay

I read this nonsense and wonder who is more of a precious flower, Adam or our support.

The lad made stupid comments and can apologise. I'm OK with that. It's a shame that a talented player probably flourished more away from Ibrox but on his game he was still struggling to get in a Rangers team in the top division.

It's probably just me but I don't really feel offended by what he said - mainly because I didn't really expect anything different.

I wouldn't have thought many believed him to be a die hard rangers man or overly invested when he played for us - yet we are surprised when he makes those comments and feel betrayed.

I personally didn't think he was particularly good for us at the time, nor that he really bought into Rangers as much as others therefore I'm not overly bothered what he has said or will say.

This is the real Charlie Adam.

I still put John Fleck’s lack of progress largely down to him taking him under his wing every Thursday night in silver.

The most obnoxious man you’ll meet btw
Seems to be a common theme when it comes to people meeting him. That was also my experience of speaking to him, he was an absolute prick.
Barely gave me the time of day, shrugged his shoulders when he was asked if he thought we would beat that lot at The Piggery the next day, he couldn’t give a shit.

That would be fine if your comments weren't made two months before Charles Green and not two weeks after administration while the support were in turmoil.

He must be the most incompetent tackler in football . Every tackle led to a foul for the other team.
Remarkable that he even played for us .

I don’t have a problem with him. He made a mistake like most do but he played his part in a great European run for us

He must be the most incompetent tackler in football . Every tackle led to a foul for the other team.
Remarkable that he even played for us .

That’s being kind. I’d say he was a dirty bastard to be honest. I’m willing to forgive and forget but I honestly don’t remember this “shocking abuse” he allegedly took when he was here. Like scores of players before and since, he got criticism and some unflattering remarks from the stands. However, I don’t recall hearing anything particularly offensive. It was generally the usual huffing and puffing when he’d play a Hollywood pass into the stands or hit the first man with a corner (which he seemed to do every fecking time).

Ended up having a good career, albeit his Liverpool stint more or less confirmed that he wasn’t cut out for life at a big club where management and staff are extremely demanding and expectations higher.

At the time his comments left a sour taste.
No problem with being willing to forgive .
As for forgetting.
Nae chance ya fat arsed c@nt.

He did the deal behind Murray's back and Murray lost trust in him and wanted him out because of his deceit.

Time has healed things though and Soumess is rightly remembered for how he transformed us, not how he left us.

I met him when he came to a club (bar club not the footy team :cool:) I owned in Liverpool,

2 things, Firstly he was as fit as a butchers dog, very lean, no fat, and everyone on FF was going on about him being fat and useless.

I spoke to him about Rangers and it was all positive, loved the club, thought he could have done more in a Rangers shirt

Seems to be a common theme when it comes to people meeting him. That was also my experience of speaking to him, he was an absolute prick.
Barely gave me the time of day, shrugged his shoulders when he was asked if he thought we would beat that lot at The Piggery the next day, he couldn’t give a shit.
Yep that’s the very man.

Day after he scored against Stuttgart he was in the dancin and came across as an absolute cretin

I think his irritation with the club at that time was more to do with the lack of support his brother received when he was done for sectarian singing. Think that explains the prickly response at that time.

Nobody dropped us in the shite more than Souness when he left and look how he's received on here now.

I guarantee that wasn't the feeling amongst Bears in 1991, but look how he fights our corner now.

In 91, most fans didnt want walter as the manager as well.
They wanted another catch like Souness was and were so disappointed.
I was also at a game where davie cooper was getting booed around 86.
Some have short memories.

People have short memories. At the time of his comment we were getting kicked pillar to post. Everybody and their granny was lining up to have a kick at the club and the fans. We were looking for anything, any silver lining or small ray of light in the darkness. His comments cut deep especially because he was in the ascendancy and was looking like he could become one of the top players in England. If he had something nice to say about the fans and what we’d been through it would have been small but it would have helped. He can go f*ck himself.

My recollection of him is a guy who was clearly unfit and struggling to get above a jog after 30 minutes of a game. Despite what everyone could see there were posters on here defending him, telling us we were all wrong and his numbers in training showed he was actually one of the fittest guys in the club. Was truly baffling
As for his comments. The timing combined with rumours of a gambling problem suggest he realises he will need to milk the Rangers support on the speaking / hospitality circuit to maintain his lifestyle. His only other alternative would be Blackpool but doubt there is the same earning potential there. Personally I'd give him nothing, others possibly feel differently

8 years to start backtracking.

He didn’t give a %^*& because he was playing for Liverpool and thought he’d moved on to bigger and better things. His comments were made straight after admin so before Green came on the scene.

Read his comments back in full and he clearly didn’t care about the club at all.
Lest we forget, your absolutely correct, he’s probably looking for after dinner talks at RSCs!

He did the deal behind Murray's back and Murray lost trust in him and wanted him out because of his deceit.

Time has healed things though and Soumess is rightly remembered for how he transformed us, not how he left us.
I think Souness and Murray were very close, sure I read they used to have dinner through in Edinburgh a lot when he was here. So I suppose if it was done behind his back then you can see why Murray was pissed off, although I would imagine most football deals are are started off on the sly with a few feelers put out. But I don’t think you could class that as Souness doing the dirty on Rangers, and I don’t blame him for going to Liverpool after banging heads with everyone, from STV to the SFA to Aggie the StJ tea lady, up here for 5 years. I do remember sort of feeling a bit betrayed by him leaving us for someone else at the time, but it’s not really a move anyone could argue with in time given English teams were getting back into Europe and the history he had with Liverpool.

I agree, and Charlie’s not the brightest bulb.

To be honest I liked him when he was at Rangers, but felt he was a bit lazy at times, met his brother Grant as well, Charlie's comments were perhaps 50% nasty and came across as I don't really care, and 50% of I'm more worried about my brother .
However that's in the past now and I have some good memories of them. ;)

Last edited:
To be honest looking back at the actual quotes, there nothing to be upset about imo, I think the explanation he gives makes sense but I might just be naive...

I met him when he came to a club (bar club not the footy team :cool:) I owned in Liverpool,

2 things, Firstly he was as fit as a butchers dog, very lean, no fat, and everyone on FF was going on about him being fat and useless.

I spoke to him about Rangers and it was all positive, loved the club, thought he could have done more in a Rangers shirt

I met him years back and he was absolutely fine.

People booed him before the comments when he was still wearing a Rangers shirt, so it was hardly surprising that he might not have cared so much.

It's not in my nature to have a go or be negative towards an ex Rangers player, but Charlie Adam was never a player I ever had confidence in. I could never trust him when he was playing for us.
Just my opinion.

So, what he says now, is of no interest to me.

Only josh windass could top the abuse Adam got. He left and in reality didn’t say too much wrong.

Windass was as thick as shite and a pain in the arse at times, but when the lunatic fringe on here were claiming that Jason Cummings was going to be a terrific signing, it was actually Windass who kept scoring regularly.

He was the only player in our team to score against all of Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Celtic that season, while Cummings contributed pretty much %^*& all and was totally unfit.

Once a section of our support vocally turn on a player, there's rarely a way back.

Hateley and Ally being the exceptions.

“I wasn't interested in what was going on off the pitch because these people were scything the club out of millions of pounds.”

What kind of statement is this? Not interested in people bleeding the club dry?

I've heard Charlie speak a few times about Rangers and football in general and tbh I quite like him, he comes across well and despite what people on here think, he was a really good player who wasn't afraid to try the spectacular, and in an age of boring robot players, it's a shame we didnt encourage this more.

Last edited:
Some of our support really love to hate our own. Fair enough, some deserve it but Charlie Adam was a decent player for us, made a good career for himself and bar one stupid comment, is generally quite positive about the club.

Save the hate for those who hate us.

Honestly couldn't care less anymore.

I have no strong feelings towards Charlie Adam either way now.

We have bigger fights than worrying about him.

Everyone makes an arse of themselves at some point.

Not everyone of us, certainly on FF, are able to hold their hands up and say they were wrong.

Fair play.

Our collective anger could and should be positioned in directions other than towards Charlie Adam.

What is it with ex-players always having to start a sentence with “Listen”?

So many of them seem to have started doing that now. Unfortunately, what they normally say after that really isn’t worth listening to!
I cringe every time l read/hear that.
Barry is the worst for it.
Starts almost every sentence with ''Look" or "Listen", it's like the bloody Green Cross Code!!

Reactions: Baz
Stupid comment, but from memory his remark was more about his main concern being what would happen to his brother, who was still on the books at the time. Not very well articulated, but in fairness I don’t think Charlie is the brightest.

He shouldn’t be getting booed when he gives up his time to take part in games raising money for charity.

Been attending since 1967 and can honestly say IMHO Charlie was one of the most underrated players I've seen in a blue jersey. Granted he didn't get any worse abuse than some.

It seems to be the case and always has been that as soon as one of our own starts getting it from the stands then the majority just join in rather than making up their own mind.:confused:

As far as his comments made in 2012, beats me why some are getting their knickers in a twist about them. BUT as for Naismith that's a different story:rolleyes:

Back