Charlie Lindsay on his Rangers big sell as he raves about the Steven Gerrard sit down that changed everything

BlueMeanie

The 16-year-old penned a professional contract with the Ibrox club on Friday after impressing as a guest among the academy in recent months

Delighted Charlie Lindsay has raved about his sit down with Steven Gerrard after committing his future with Rangers.
The 16-year-old penned a professional contract with the Ibrox club on Friday after impressing as a guest among the academy in recent months.
Lindsay - who came through the ranks at Glentoran - is desperate to try and emulate the playing career of Liverpool icon Gerrard after the pair bonded over breakfast.
Delighted Rangers sporting director Ross Wilson saluted him him as "one of the most sought after youngsters" in the UK.

And Lindsay admits one piece of advice from Gerrard has stayed with him as he aims to forge his own career path to the top.
Speaking to BBC Northern Ireland, he said: "He (Gerrard) is so humble

"I had breakfast with him at the club one day and he is brilliant, a really nice guy. The first time I met him he just shook my hand, looked me in the eye and made me feel so comfortable.

"What a player he was. He is an absolute legend, but you wouldn't think that when you meet him. I had a really good chat with him and really enjoyed it.

"I heard him say in an interview once that you have to be obsessed to be a footballer and that is how I try to live my life. It's still hard to believe that I have signed for him - I now just can't wait to get over there and get working with him."
And Lindsay - who was named player of the tournament at the prestigious Al-Kass Cup in Qatar - admits he had plenty of transfer options.
But he had only eyes for Rangers as he promises to show patience in a bid to become an Ibrox first team regular.
He added: "I had a few other clubs showing interest, but I knew right from the first time I went over to Rangers that they were the team for me.

"Signing for them is a dream come true - I grew up as a Rangers fan. I never once felt like a trialist over there and just knew I would join them if they ever made an offer.
"I can't wait to go over there and push myself to my limits, and try and get as far as I can in the game. Hopefully one day I will walk out in front of 50,000 people at Ibrox.
"But it is a marathon, not a sprint. I will start with the Under-18 squad and hopefully I can progress into the Under-20 development squad from there.
"Then if I keep working hard I could make the first-team. I know it could be a long way off, but I just want to be the best I can every day, both on and off the pitch."

Just love this young man attitude,so refreshing to read he knows he needs to work hard not just on the pitch but off it aswell,if he can steer away from the numptys and hangers on he should have a bright future with us,good luck to him.

To be fair this is much more a case of us doing to Glentoran what Chelsea did to us.

Maybe a wee bit different, as he’s spent time here on and off, but we certainly haven’t developed him.
Read my post I never said we had developed him.

"But it is a marathon, not a sprint. I will start with the Under-18 squad and hopefully I can progress into the Under-20 development squad from there.
"Then if I keep working hard I could make the first-team. I know it could be a long way off, but I just want to be the best I can every day, both on and off the pitch."

Thats the attitude.

Transfermarkt have him as a AM. I’m sure I’ve seen him referred to as a LB though.

Anyone clear this up?

Mentions there about him being player of the tournament at the Alkass cup, where are all of our own players that actually won that cup? Is this another signing that we will never see reaching the potential?

I love his attitude and appetite at being a Rangers player.

I hope he infects others with it.

Let's just hope he actually gets the chance. Tired of hearing how good our youth teams are because they've won cups at youth level...but then they're not good enough to get a game against Stranraer or East Fife.

Like the cut of his jib. Really impressed me in some of the highlights of the Alkass Cup that I saw as well. Reckon he'll end up in and amongst first team training in no time as well.

To be fair this is much more a case of us doing to Glentoran what Chelsea did to us.

Maybe a wee bit different, as he’s spent time here on and off, but we certainly haven’t developed him.
Charlie has left a fine wee club to join one of the biggest and most famous clubs in the history of football.
Young Mr Gilmour left one of the biggest clubs in world football to join a recently monied club that played in a more lucrative league and one that could offer more money.
I think we should acknowledge this distinction.

The 16-year-old penned a professional contract with the Ibrox club on Friday after impressing as a guest among the academy in recent months

Delighted Charlie Lindsay has raved about his sit down with Steven Gerrard after committing his future with Rangers.
The 16-year-old penned a professional contract with the Ibrox club on Friday after impressing as a guest among the academy in recent months.
Lindsay - who came through the ranks at Glentoran - is desperate to try and emulate the playing career of Liverpool icon Gerrard after the pair bonded over breakfast.
Delighted Rangers sporting director Ross Wilson saluted him him as "one of the most sought after youngsters" in the UK.

And Lindsay admits one piece of advice from Gerrard has stayed with him as he aims to forge his own career path to the top.
Speaking to BBC Northern Ireland, he said: "He (Gerrard) is so humble

"I had breakfast with him at the club one day and he is brilliant, a really nice guy. The first time I met him he just shook my hand, looked me in the eye and made me feel so comfortable.

"What a player he was. He is an absolute legend, but you wouldn't think that when you meet him. I had a really good chat with him and really enjoyed it.

"I heard him say in an interview once that you have to be obsessed to be a footballer and that is how I try to live my life. It's still hard to believe that I have signed for him - I now just can't wait to get over there and get working with him."
And Lindsay - who was named player of the tournament at the prestigious Al-Kass Cup in Qatar - admits he had plenty of transfer options.
But he had only eyes for Rangers as he promises to show patience in a bid to become an Ibrox first team regular.
He added: "I had a few other clubs showing interest, but I knew right from the first time I went over to Rangers that they were the team for me.

"Signing for them is a dream come true - I grew up as a Rangers fan. I never once felt like a trialist over there and just knew I would join them if they ever made an offer.
"I can't wait to go over there and push myself to my limits, and try and get as far as I can in the game. Hopefully one day I will walk out in front of 50,000 people at Ibrox.
Go for it Charlie, good luck son.

Good interview with the young man. He seems to have his head screwed on and speaks with a lot of sense and confidence.

I think to be a Ranger, and to be a winner, you need to be a big character so sometimes when I see youth players interviewed and they can't string 2 word together, it makes me wonder if they can come out their shell to meet the demands of playing in the 1st team. Charlie certainly doesn't have that issue and I wish him all the best.

Sounds like a very level headed lad. Hopefully get to see him in the first team soon.

I just hope we get the chance to see him in action and not develop him only to sell him to Chelsea !
Going by what people who know him are saying I think Charlie would’ve been leaving Chelsea to come to Rangers. He’s where he wants to be, if he breaks through then don’t be surprised to see him have a very very long career with us.

Mentions there about him being player of the tournament at the Alkass cup, where are all of our own players that actually won that cup? Is this another signing that we will never see reaching the potential?

The kids that won the Alkass cup are still kids. Do you think that half of them should be first-teamers at this point?

He sounds a very determined lad and if the accolades and attitude are anything to go by then he will have a long and successful career with the team he admires, we all wish him well.

Was there not another young lad from NI that we were after as well? Did he go elsewhere?

My mate in work was coaching at one of the the glens youth teams last couple of years and he's been telling me about this kid for some time. He's says hes something else.

The kids that won the Alkass cup are still kids. Do you think that half of them should be first-teamers at this point?

Aye I do. What’s so hard about that to believe? These German teams play wee guys but we can’t play our young team against Hamilton?

Back