Cheerio Ceremony for an ex player

Hiram.Abiff

Just seen the thread on Suarez, got me thinking.
Who left our club without a proper goodbye that was worthy of such a ceremony?

McCoist. His last game at Ibrox he left the pitch in tears because he missed a dozen sitters we had just lost 10 in a row. Then managed the club through the toughest period in our history and left on gardening leave.

Also in one of his last league games as a player for Kilmarnock was against us at Ibrox and he was an unused sub. Unbelievable that he wasn’t given. Wee run out for the last few minutes.

Last edited:
He came out with Prso to say goodbye I’m sure
He should have been out ahead of Dado, no offence to the glorious ponytailed specimen, but he contributed nowhere near to what Stefan did. Maybe, being a quiet person Stefan didn't want the spotlight? But still didn't sit right with me.
Similar the way that Kenny Miller, Lee Wallace, Lee McCulloch and Neil Alexander didn't get any kind of real farewell, for different reasons they all deserved one.

Was that not bobby Williamson that refused to put him on?

It was with the excuse "I've got to look after Kilmarnock"

Which is fine.

BUT...if you're looking for a goal in the last minute of a game to help your goal difference and there was a player in the World likely to come on for 90 seconds and fluke a shot in to the net against the team he was record scorer for and who live a Roy of the Rovers style football career, could you name who was likely to do that?

Lee Wallace and Kenny Miller without doubt.

Also, and this is a slightly different scenario, but I really feel for Andy Halliday that due to COVID he didn't get to say his farewells out on the Ibrox pitch in front of the fans.

It was with the excuse "I've got to look after Kilmarnock"

Which is fine.

BUT...if you're looking for a goal in the last minute of a game to help your goal difference and there was a player in the World likely to come on for 90 seconds and fluke a shot in to the net against the team he was record scorer for and who live a Roy of the Rovers style football career, could you name who was likely to do that?

Except that excuse doesn't hold water. They were 6 down.

Goodbye ceremony,,,,

Jesus wept, what's the world coming to????

Should we pack them off by combing there hair with a packed lunch and blowing a kiss??!!

No fuckin wonder we can't bully teams on the park if this is the attitude off the park!!!!!!

Goodbye ceremony,,,,

Jesus wept, what's the world coming to????

Should we pack them off by combing there hair with a packed lunch and blowing a kiss??!!

No fuckin wonder we can't bully teams on the park if this is the attitude off the park!!!!!!

Calm yourself. No one is proposing we actually do this.

Except that excuse doesn't hold water. They were 6 down.

Aye, I know. Was simply pointing out that the GD wasn't going to make a difference at that point and if anything, they were more likely to nick a goal.

Williamson was just being a prick for the sake of it.

Tugay hijacking Albertz's lap of honour on the back of 18 months of average substitute performances, 1 outstanding start and 2 good goals was cringeworthy.

I remember the reception Prso and Albertz got, struggling to think of anymore. Lee Wallace deserved something, as did Kenny Miller. Sasa Papac was worthy of a show of appreciation. Neil McCann, Kris Boyd and Lee McCulloch also come to mind.
McCulloch bang average and we made him a millionaire. Laughing with Celtic players coming off at halftime 2-0 down so it's a no.

Wallace stayed and won no major honours. Also a no.

Tugay hijacking Albertz's lap of honour on the back of 18 months of average substitute performances, 1 outstanding start and 2 good goals was cringeworthy.

I really liked Tugay but that was ridiculous. I can't remember Amoruso doing it also but I'm sure it was mentioned in his book as he thought he was away in that summer as well. I may be wrong though.

That should have been reserved for Jorg and Jorg alone.

John Greig the player.

Nobody knew the treble winning 1978 cup final was going to be his last game for us.

Back