Chris Coleman - good manager or one lucky tournament?

Don't think much of him as a manager and can't stand listening to him. He done well with Wales but I really don't think that was much to do with him in all honesty and he'll know that.

Can't take to him one single bit

Flat shared with a Fulham physio at one time and they had a dislike for him which I've carried ever since

Gary Speed took Wales from 117th to 45th before his death and was the catalyst for their upturn in results.

Coleman lost 6 of his first 7 games including a 6-1 scudding by Serbia

I suppose you could argue Speed got them going but Coleman took it to another level. The Euros was a superb achievement and as I said, to only lose for the 1st time in their 10th game in what was a difficult qualifying section, was another great run at it for a small nation like them.

Coleman had a bad start but he said himself it was due to him trying to continue in the style Speed was implementing rather than going down his own route. He switched to a 3 at the back and then they took off from there.

I knew Ireland were going to beat them the other night. Said as much to my mates on the group chat. O'Neill is a lucky b*stard and they always seem to fluke a win when it matters. Allen going off was a turning point in the game.

Think he has had his best jobs,unless he goes to club who has a Gareth bale,-never convinced,I.m.o.

Lucky Gareth Bale, and Wales having some alright players coming through at the same time, oh and Charlotte Jackson

Gary Speed took Wales from 117th to 45th before his death and was the catalyst for their upturn in results.

Coleman lost 6 of his first 7 games including a 6-1 scudding by Serbia

This seems to have been missed by most, Speed lit a fire under the players and got them proud to support Wales, whilst also giving them the belief that if the organised and played the game through Bale they had a chance against anyone.

They have two really good players who can be inconsistent and injury prone.

Pretty much they turn up then they have a good chance of winning most games.

I dont think you can write him off as a manager just because his country is fortunate enough to have an exceptional player such as Bale. If you do that, you would have to then question every manager that has special talent like that at his disposal. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc. obviously contribute hugely to their teams successes, but you can't write off their respective managers as nothing just because they have them in their teams.

Very nice bloke, have had a few beers with him in Epsom, thinks Rangers were wrongly dealt with in Scottish football.
Always has time for a chat, and photos with people. Good Luck in whatever his next move is.

Average manager who was in a position that rarely happens in international management of inheriting a team that was actually performing. I think the loss of Gary Speed also gave the Wales side a togetherness that is often quite hard to form in International teams.

Back