Chris Hughton sacked

ck
I watch a lot of Brighton, used to live there so they’re my ‘English team’. They were mid table at Xmas then it just fell apart. Every game, no matter who the opponent was, was treated like 0-0 would be a great result, it wasn’t just that they were hopeless, they were boring too.

Hughton signed 8 players last offseason, not one of them is a regular. Broke the teams transfer record a couple of times for players who either come off the bench or are never seen.

I’m sorry he’s gone, Brighton owe him a lot, but it’s the right time.

As former ST holder, I watch them a lot and you are correct, he selects 'attacking' players on the basis of their willingness to track back rather than their attacking ability.

Nine mainly or ten behind the ball doesn't make for good spectating so the majority, whilst fully respecting Chris Hughton, reluctantly recognise that he had to go !

ck

As former ST holder, I watch them a lot and you are correct, he selects 'attacking' players on the basis of their willingness to track back rather than their attacking ability.

Nine mainly or ten behind the ball doesn't make for good spectating so the majority, whilst fully respecting Chris Hughton, reluctantly recognise that he had to go !
Isn’t that down to fear of drop

Wasn’t he more attack minded at Newcastle or the year he got Brighton promoted?

Isn’t that down to fear of drop

Wasn’t he more attack minded at Newcastle or the year he got Brighton promoted?

Indeed it is down to fear of the drop given that failure to retain EPL status will result in an immediate drop in income of possibly £100m the following year even allowing for parachute payments.

His history at Newcastle and Norwich where his services were cut short at both may have been questionable but Norwich fans considered him to be far to negative in approach, as for NUFC ask the owner MA ? the fans thought CH was harshly treated.

He was more attack minded in the Championship and many Brighton fans thought him the best option to take them back up. As relegation was avoided this season the question was could he take them forward next season. If he failed to keep them up in the following season that would have been two seasons lost ( one down and one back up ) only to become a yo-yo club !

Indeed it is down to fear of the drop given that failure to retain EPL status will result in an immediate drop in income of possibly £100m the following year even allowing for parachute payments.

His history at Newcastle and Norwich where his services were cut short at both may have been questionable but Norwich fans considered him to be far to negative in approach, as for NUFC ask the owner MA ? the fans thought CH was harshly treated.

He was more attack minded in the Championship and many Brighton fans thought him the best option to take them back up. As relegation was avoided this season the question was could he take them forward next season. If he failed to keep them up in the following season that would have been two seasons lost ( one down and one back up ) only to become a yo-yo club !
At the turn of the year, I reckoned Brighton needed three wins to stay up fairly comfortably. That they barely made it shows how the wheels came off. But you get the impression Bloom was looking for a change in direction anyway. Ashworth appointment looks like part of that. Those summer recruits didn’t look like Hughton signings and, either they really all mince, or Hughton found it easier to work with the more old school players he got promoted with.
I’m still torn. Time will tell, I suppose.

Back