Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon in Rangers rethink as security concerns force BT Sport change with former Celtic duo off punditry

What exactly did mccoist say ? I don’t mean what speirs says he said , I mean McCoist actual words in context

Fearing for freedom of speech, after Sutton's claim he wasn't allowed in because of things he's said about Rangers, McCoist said: "I found it very, very surprising. When I arrived at Ibrox I was expecting to see Chris and Neil.

"I think we are going down a dangerous route if we're stopping freedom of speech. We turn into Beijing, we turn into Moscow.

"I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that everything can be resolved, hopefully very, very soon."

Very disappointing from McCoist.

This is a guy who called our manager "the class clown", our captain "a serial loser" and our striker "Buffalo Brains"

Him and his pal Lennon mocked, ridiculed and pissed themselves laughing on Live TV about our board when we failed to get McInnes.

No one is stopping Sutton from vomiting out his crap, but Rangers have every right to tell him as long as he does it, he's not getting in.

Why on earth should we lay out the red carpet for a guy who cannot hide his contempt for our club and uses his platform to openly bait and troll half of BT's Scottish audience ?

Last edited:
Fearing for freedom of speech, after Sutton's claim he wasn't allowed in because of things he's said about Rangers, McCoist said: "I found it very, very surprising. When I arrived at Ibrox I was expecting to see Chris and Neil.

"I think we are going down a dangerous route if we're stopping freedom of speech. We turn into Beijing, we turn into Moscow.

"I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that everything can be resolved, hopefully very, very soon."

Very disappointing from McCoist.

This is a guy who called our manager "the class clown", our captain "a serial loser" and our striker "Buffalo Brains"

Him and his pal Lennon mocked, riduculued and pissed themselves laughing on Live TV about our board when we failed to get McInnes.

No one is stopping Sutton from vomiting out his crap, but Rangers have every right to tell him as long as he does it, he's not getting in.

Why on earth should we lay out the red carpet for a guy who cannot hide his contempt for our club and uses his platform to openly bait and troll half of BT's Scottish audience ?
Mccoist is a hero of mine but his words there are absolutely ridiculous.

Would you continue to invite someone into your house who constantly slagged it off and ran it down and talked down any improvements you had done ?

Cause that’s what Sutton has done for years , he’s rubbished Rangers and our players particularly Morelos on a regular basis and it’s about time we made a stance just like we’ve done with Walker

As for Lennon well he’s been Scottish football’s problem child for over 20 years now and that’s the nicest way I can put it , we all know what he is and he’s no friend of Rangers

BT sport are it here , let’s have Barry Ferguson, Boyd or Alex Rae pitch side at Celtic park next European match and see what the reaction is

Well done Rangers for not falling for the stunt , it looks like we are finally getting wise to them

For 21 years Neil Lennon has been protected and enabled by almost every single football journalist in this country.

No matter how reprehensible his behaviour, no matter how vile his actions - the bold Lenny has never lost the support of his pals in the press, the very people who sit on pontificate on singing songs never have a word to say about Lennon's off field shenanigans.

Even now, there is not another single manager in Scottish football who would be afforded the weekly platform he currently has where he's given media platforms at the public's expense to blame everyone and anyone for his failures last season bar himself.

Would you continue to invite someone into your house who constantly slagged it off and ran it down and talked down any improvements you had done ?

Cause that’s what Sutton has done for years , he’s rubbished Rangers and our players particularly Morelos on a regular basis and it’s about time we made a stance just like we’ve done with Walker

As for Lennon well he’s been Scottish football’s problem child for over 20 years now and that’s the nicest way I can put it , we all know what he is and he’s no friend of Rangers

BT sport are it here , let’s have Barry Ferguson, Boyd or Alex Rae pitch side at Celtic park next European match and see what the reaction is

Well done Rangers for not falling for the stunt , it looks like we are finally getting wise to them
Read what I wrote.

there is no issue with not letting them in at all and fair play to the club for whatever reason.

Simply not allowing them in and then saying not a single word about it has allowed talkSPORT first, then everyone with a typewriter, to apply THEIR logic as to why it happened.

The prevailing wisdom is now that Rangers were concerned that our support could not be trusted. Nothing about the 2 of them being scumbags, nothing about Sutton being banned already, nothing about BT being told ages ago not to send him, just a half baked story about them being a security risk.

We have been amateur in how this is dealt with. A simple 1 paragraph statement yesterday at least allows us to have our side of this told. It takes the fuel away from the ‘Rangers scared of own support’ idiocy we are seeing and it clamps Dornan etc.

As staunch as it is to say ‘who cares what they say’, when you have well over a million English listeners being told that Rangers refused to allow 2 pundits into the ground because they were deemed at risk from the support, you have us nationally looking petty, tinpot, parochial and unable to police our own stadium. 1 paragraph from the club at least gets out the REAL reasons for it happening. Silence is no friend to us in this.

If they were in a closed studio somewhere in the stadium I doubt it would have been an issue

However being on an open platform in the stadium, its 100% guaranteed that some muppet would have shouted abuse at Lennon in particular and then we would have an entirely different situation to deal with.

Absolutely the correct call from the club. BT should have known better.
BT looking for headlines here nothing more nothing less and still got them.

Read what I wrote.

there is no issue with not letting them in at all and fair play to the club for whatever reason.

Simply not allowing them in and then saying not a single word about it has allowed talkSPORT first, then everyone with a typewriter, to apply THEIR logic as to why it happened.

The prevailing wisdom is now that Rangers were concerned that our support could not be trusted. Nothing about the 2 of them being scumbags, nothing about Sutton being banned already, nothing about BT being told ages ago not to send him, just a half baked story about them being a security risk.

We have been amateur in how this is dealt with. A simple 1 paragraph statement yesterday at least allows us to have our side of this told. It takes the fuel away from the ‘Rangers scared of own support’ idiocy we are seeing and it clamps Dornan etc.

As staunch as it is to say ‘who cares what they say’, when you have well over a million English listeners being told that Rangers refused to allow 2 pundits into the ground because they were deemed at risk from the support, you have us nationally looking petty, tinpot, parochial and unable to police our own stadium. 1 paragraph from the club at least gets out the REAL reasons for it happening. Silence is no friend to us in this.
Totally agree.

If Sutton is banned, tell the world why. Nobody deserves it more.

We could point out Hartson was in Ibrox for Sky at the recent Old Firm game, so this isn't about our fans but about his long history of abusing the club.

Totally agree.

If Sutton is banned, tell the world why. Nobody deserves it more.

We could point out Hartson was in Ibrox for Sky at the recent Old Firm game, so this isn't about our fans but about his long history of abusing the club.
Yip we’ve had petrov, Malky and Hartson with no bother at all , point out why Sutton and Lemmon aren’t welcome tell the truth . Totally agree with the decision but the “ security “ line was another naive, stupid blunder

They didn't. BT were told not to bring Sutton to Ibrox again in March 2020. Only time he was back was for the Premier coverage of the Celtic cup tie. Lennon is the most divisive figure in Scottish society over the last 20 years and his behaviour on a number of accounts has been reprehensible and the club would not want such a person on the premises.
Someone needs to remind Sutton that the campaign is to stamp out bigotry and in order to do that you have to deal with bigots effectively, which is why he is banned! He's a bigot.

There's a difference between consequences for your hateful rhetoric and actions and being excluded for no good reason.

But he doesn't care about that because, like a ton of other people, they would rather blow the dog whistle and continue the false narrative that all things Rangers are bad.

Considering all the ignored news coming out about additional convictions of former employees of that scum club, its little wonder that all these people repeatedly attempt to distract the public with manufactured scandals at Ibrox.

Everyone, Anyone, Chris - except for professional trolls.

You're still still free to make a living by denigrating Rangers. Freedom of speech remains alive and well, even in the narrative-driven would-be Republic of Scotland. Off you go and take your cheap shots wherever. But not in our home. We ban our own fans because what they say is 'vile' rather than 'a laugh'. Why should you be an exception?

As for Lennon - a man who as a player mouthed sectarian abuse at his hosts and spat on our colours, and as a manager celebrated a goal with a 'get it up ye' gesture aimed specifically at me and my fellow supporters - he can keep you company in your belief that Kilmarnock and Dunfermline conspired to hand us the league in 2003, which is an insult that you've largely escaped criticism for. Maybe I could come round your gaff to tweet it?

There is no “freedom of speech” issue. They can and have said, and will continue to say, what they like. They need to realise, they have to find another playpen from where to insult, disrespect and incite our Club. They are not welcome to sit and do it from within Ibrox, particularly carrying their brand of anti Rangers baggage.
To compare the banning of two utter reprobates from our stadium to regimes which have committed genocide running into 10s of millions, could only have come from an uneducated fool or a fucking idiot, or both.
Ally McCoist needs to think through what he has said, because it doesn’t fall into the category of “to and fro” or “banter” It’s just I’ll-considered and moronic.

Read what I wrote.

But as far as I,m aware rangers have,t came out and said it was for security reasons..I agree with you this has been poorly handled on the statement side.

But as far as I,m aware rangers have,t came out and said it was for security reasons..I agree with you this has been poorly handled on the statement side.
No, Rangers did not say that. It has not stopped it from becoming the accepted version though, off the back of the wank Sutton saying it was so.

We basically handed him the license and ammo to fire shots and did not do anything at all to mitigate that.

McCoist, Sutton, Speirs, Lennon etc. Who cares what anyone of them thinks. All have sat back and said nothing as innocent fans get blamed for crimes they haven't committed, accused of bigotry without evidence, and vilified by all and sundry for just supporting a football team. These individuals see and read what is going on, and say nothing. Let none of them in.

Something I hope we start doing a lot more of. About time we started treating them with the same level of contempt they treat us with.

His latest twitter post

“I cannot believe that Rangers are so scared of their own fans’ behaviour that they would ban two pundits because they played for Celtic,”

“Please don’t anyone tell me this is just fitba stuff. That is out of control and Rangers should be utterly ashamed for their lack of courage.”

Clown
Personally, I love that.

Long may this chat continue.

Ally works for bt sport, just like chris boyd at the sun they are only backing there employers position about press access to Ibrox. It is a changing culture for the MSM under David Murray they could say or do what they liked about Rangers and there fans and he would do nothing. The times are changing this board are taking them to task by not allowing them to do as they please, it is time they realise that. Like many rangers fans I don't read the newspapers or lets face it you do not watch the shows to see the pundits.

He'd do well to remember his big pal "Sutty" ambushing DJ live on Radio Clyde and absolutely trashing the man's reputation whilst Keevins and co did nothing.
For those that missed it or can’t remember.

The fact this was allowed in the first place tells you all you need to know about Clyde.

No, Rangers did not say that. It has not stopped it from becoming the accepted version though, off the back of the wank Sutton saying it was so.

We basically handed him the license and ammo to fire shots and did not do anything at all to mitigate that.
You're right in suggesting that Rangers could have pointed in their justification of denying Lennon and Sutton access on Thursday, but it's doubtful that putting their past conduct in the frame would have been persuasive to an audience weaned for years on a big, bad Rangers narrative, and to accuse BT of trying to manufacture a 'story' would have seen the Rangers-against-mainstream-media accusations ramp up.

Living abroad, I'm not best placed to judge, but it would surprise me if people in England didn't see Sutton and Lennon as less than salubrious characters, and might think that, if there really was a threat to them at Ibrox, it reflected as much on them as on us.

A coin to the chest, right enough, can result in facial injury, as we saw at Tynecastle a few pages back in the diary. And it's not like Neil did anything to wind up the Hearts fans.

For those that missed it or can’t remember.

The fact this was allowed in the first place tells you all you need to know about Clyde.

Interesting to hear DJ refer to Sutton having two security men on the gantry at a match some five years ago. Has it ever been normal for reporters to have this?

I don't doubt Sutton has been banned from Ibrox for over a year, but wasn't he in the ground for the Scottish Cup game on Premier Sports?

Did we lift the ban for that, and if so, why?

Unless my memory playing up and he wasn't there.

Is McCoist really so blinkered that he doesn't understand the constant media narrative against us?

I like Ally, he is funny and is, at times, great at putting Sutton in his place, but he really needs to start using his very prominent position in the media to help us fight our corner, the way almost every tim pundit does for them. He must understand the clubs position on this. He would have had a far better impact telling Sutton that the reason he is banned is for being a troll against Rangers for the past 15 years.

We still sorely lack a proper voice in the media. McCoist and Boyd are sometimes great, but still, far too often, bow down to our hater's side of the debate.

Is McCoist really so blinkered that he doesn't understand the constant media narrative against us?

I like Ally, he is funny and is, at times, great at putting Sutton in his place, but he really needs to start using his very prominent position in the media to help us fight our corner, the way almost every tim pundit does for them. He must understand the clubs position on this. He would have had a far better impact telling Sutton that the reason he is banned is for being a troll against Rangers for the past 15 years.

We still sorely lack a proper voice in the media. McCoist and Boyd are sometimes great, but still, far too often, bow down to our hater's side of the debate.
The irony is that if McCoist or Boyd did use their platforms to speak up for the club and the fans they'd probably be reigned in by their employers.

That's true restriction on freedom of speech.

People like Sutton will do it any way ammo or not.

Petrov and Mjallby have been inside Ibrox but they're professional and do their job well. On the other hand Sutton is a troll who constantly attacks the club.

BT sent Rory Hamilton and Hartson out to Spain for the game last night so they could have sent a presenting team over if they were that bothered.

or they could have asked Celtic to use a suite at their shithole.

not a difficult thing to overcome.

simple fact is if you’re showing a sports match and you pick pundits from that teams rivals then you are going to have problems as they won’t be seen to be neutral.

At worst have one from each side or simply have neutral people or blue noses for us and whoever for them

Don’t know what he’s moaning about, imagine the embarrassment of explaining why the ambulance took 40 hours to turn up to take Lennon and Sutton to hospital after the imaginary 10p coin bounced off their coats, causing untold physical damage to their coupons.
What a wee fhanny " it's time every journalist started telling the truth about the culture at Ibrox " couldn't agree more , ya wee twisted wee bigot ....maybe you should start as well.....Note how he doesn't speak of the CSA scandal any more .....almost as if somebody had a word in his ear.....

It was Colin doing the update, essentially Sutton has been banned since last March and when BT told the club on Wednesday that Sutton and Lennon were coming we said no thanks.

Both of them aren't welcome because they're scum, it's as simple as that. Security wasn't part of it (according to the update anyway).
Good to hear. I wish the club would come out and say that.

Back