Chris Waddle

Made the game look so easy, like he was playing with his pals down the park.
Met him on at least 10 occasions during WC2002 and he gave the impression that he saw it as being exactly that. He was part of Five Live team but was happy to be out for a beer with just a cameraman or sound guy. He would come over and ask what games we’d been to etc and was just happy to talk football. He always said to everyone that was there that he was just so lucky to have been good enough to have made a good life from the game.

Met him, Graham Roberts and Richard Gough outside Hampden at the 86 League Cup Final. All at Tottenham at the time and they had Rangers scarves on.

12 months later 2 of them were playing for us in the final.

Met him, Graham Roberts and Richard Gough outside Hampden at the 86 League Cup Final. All at Tottenham at the time and they had Rangers scarves on.

12 months later 2 of them were playing for us in the final.
Went to see Glens vs Spurs at Glentoran's centenary match at the Oval in 1982. Spurs brought over a full side and the FA Cup. Anyway a work colleague was also at the game with his wee lad and when talking to him on the train home he told his kid to show me the autographs he had got. The stayed to meet the players afterwards and got to meet the Spurs team. One of the autographs said 'Steve Archibald. Remember 1690' :cool:

I was at White Hart Lane for Paul Millar's testimonial and Waddle ran for a pass given to him that was just too far to catch and ran out of play in front of the massive Rangers support.

Entire support started a Chrissy waddle yer a wanker chant and as he was running backwards still facing us and he gave two thumbs up to us.

On the bus back up the road I decided to read the match programme and profile was on Chris Waddle...

Favourite other team....... Glasgow Rangers .

Felt like a dick after reading that.

He used to write a column for 4-4-2 magazine and i can remember one time that he devoted his column to the passing of Davie Cooper and quoted something along the lines of ‘ wonderful talent with sublime left foot’.
‘Wor’ Chris is a good guy in my book... Newcastle fans hate him though.
A fabulous player in his day too.

Used to go and watch him play for Falkirk at the old Brockville, although as other said his legs were done, that was never really his game anyway.
He was still still a level above anything on the park. Phenomenal player.

When I was a kid, Waddle was one of my favourite players. Dad is a geordie so there was always his influence when a player like Gazza or Waddle emerged as he’d instantly be a fan of them :)) But Waddle was a sublime winger. Typical mercurial winger, can’t ever recall him making a tackle, but when he was on it he was brilliant.

I can’t stand listening to him as a pundit, but he comes across as a decent guy who absolutely loves the game and recognises how lucky he was to make his living in it. Was still playing non league football well into his 40s I think. Given he had the gig as a pundit, it’s not like he was playing for Worksop Town for the money, and it certainly wasn’t the glamour. I think he just genuinely loved playing football.

He once turned up at Ibrox for a look about but the Ibrox doorman back then Peter Jacobs didnt recognise him and thought someone was at it, he had to send someone chasing after him after realising his mistake.

Always had waddle down as us being his favourite scottish team.

He used to write a column for 4-4-2 magazine and i can remember one time that he devoted his column to the passing of Davie Cooper and quoted something along the lines of ‘ wonderful talent with sublime left foot’.
‘Wor’ Chris is a good guy in my book... Newcastle fans hate him though.
A fabulous player in his day too.
Why is he hated in Newcastle?

Although he broke through at Newcastle , chris is a massive Sunderland fan, he also achieved his dream of playing for the lads very late in his career

Back